Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

happyhippy posted:

https://streamable.com/stcih

A Commander who exits the atmosphere and doesn't realize he is out of fuel.
I bet initially they had the voice saying "engines on" and "engines off" but then in one of his monthly visits Chris heard this and demanded they bring the voice actor in for another session so he could say "engines are".

Quintessential idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and Tax for Chin:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

its real hit and miss, and probably just Netflix not really bothering to make them all level at all. some shows are fine, some are awful. Swiss Army Man has the most bombastically loud music, followed by basically hushed whispered convos between Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe

MEANWHILE new Cloverfield movie drops tonight, with absolutely minimal fanfare (except for an ad at the superbowl i suppose)

I've noticed that volume poo poo with netflix while trying to watch it on my TV. Drives me crazy.

Where the hell did Cloverfield come from? I was expecting that movie last year and forgot about it.

I know what I'm doing later.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

:gary:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/lzj0F3q.gifv

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate how absolutely everything about SC is a clusterfuck, not just the game itself. Horrid PR and community management? Inability to stay in compliance with the contract signed with your most important vendor? Plaintext passwords in your new website form submittals? A sketchy security certificate installed pointing to a website you don't even own?

It's a hilariously thorough web of top to bottom incompetence.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 5, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This is totally how my cat and bun used to interact. I am not sure the bun understood that the cat was a fellow living creature. :3:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I miss my bun.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I took a break from this Trainwreck of a thread, but I thought you should all be pretty excited for next months release of Sea of Thieves. A game that started development in 2015 and will allow me to sail my fully customizable ship around a persistent world or something, board other people to waylay their navigation, delay their repair efforts, and eventually destroy their chariots without t-posing. You can even play it on your super PC and beat up on those console plebs.

Also I can play it because it is a game that will actually exist.

Star citizen good yet?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

I miss my bun.

Did he taste good ?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

This Joe Frank bit is a perfect metaphor of Chris Roberts approach to making vidya games

Assent to K-(4)2

https://www.joefrank.com/jfplayer.php?play=8699&sType=LISTEN

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't go into the CSPAM subforum at all you are missing out.

Nanomashoes posted:

Tesla more like Car Citizen.

From the Doomsday Economics thread.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zzr posted:

Did he taste good ?
I didn't have the heart to eat him because the girl I had the pact to eat him with had already broken it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

Not sure if you heard, but VR is also a snare-trap for turbo-dorks.

why do you hate vr toops?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Prostheticfoot posted:

I took a break from this Trainwreck of a thread, but I thought you should all be pretty excited for next months release of Sea of Thieves. A game that started development in 2015 and will allow me to sail my fully customizable ship around a persistent world or something, board other people to waylay their navigation, delay their repair efforts, and eventually destroy their chariots without t-posing. You can even play it on your super PC and beat up on those console plebs.

Play? A Game? Now? Haha, you coward! Star Citizen is for people who are brave enough to cast off their moorings and sail from reality into fantasy. It's OK, I suppose, that you lack the courage to embrace the ecstasy of mental illness. I'm sure that The Failing Publishers will appreciate your patronage. Until they are inevitably uprooted by the New Development Model, I mean. Perhaps it won't be too late for you to find a Shiphaver who will permit you to suck his space dick in exchange for a ticket to the 'verse.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Prostheticfoot posted:

Star citizen good yet?

Having played in the beta there was no ship customization whatsoever. Overall it was fun for a weekend but seemed laughably overpriced at 60 dollars.

Granted, it is still far better than star citizen simply by virtue of existing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Having played in the beta there was no ship customization whatsoever. Overall it was fun for a weekend but seemed laughably overpriced at 60 dollars.

Granted, it is still far better than star citizen simply by virtue of existing

Sea of thieves evocati say there's definitely new content that wasn't in the beta, since beta was supposed to be just a stress test, but yeah. I'm not buying until after release. If microsoft is still supporting the game a year or two from now I'm super in tho.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Truga posted:

why do you hate vr toops?

It reeks of fear, and fear disgusts me.

Edit: also, in no particular order: largely weak opportunistic showcasey 3rd party support, the price tag, proprietary API’s which divide the dev commumity and expand the console wars to 2 dimensions, graphics processing is at least a generation behind what VR needs which necessitates large hackeries and cheating to get non-vomitous frame rates, etc.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Truga posted:

Sea of thieves evocati say there's definitely new content that wasn't in the beta, since beta was supposed to be just a stress test, but yeah. I'm not buying until after release. If microsoft is still supporting the game a year or two from now I'm super in tho.

More like Sea of Dweebs amirite

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Foo Diddley posted:

Sea of Weebs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, VR is going to be just fine, but if you buy into it *now* you need to know you're a very early adopter and have to handle it that way. We're seeing the directx vs opengl war, and also facebook vs everyone else war, we're seeing gpus being trash at rendering this poo poo, we're seeing lovely prototypes people try to sell as better than rift/vive because <lovely feature> for $200 less like in the early GPU days, etc.

I'm having tons of fun with my vive, but I also wanted this kind of thing since I first played CYAC pretty much so uh.. yeah. I also mostly play games that have been suited to VR since before VR was a thing. If you think VR might be too wonky for you, it probably is and you should stay clear for now :v:

Foo Diddley posted:

My main concern is, this being a primarily online game, microsoft (the publisher) will see the numbers aren't super good and pull the plug. Many publishers do this, because they figure their game should compete with lol or wow or whatever, despite being a completely irrelevant player in the segment. Several not-so-good online games that have had large enough player bases to float around forever and maybe get real traction when they get more content got closed down, because they don't meet expectations, and this has every sign of it happening.

If MS decides they're in for the long haul and poo poo out enough content within the next year or two, it'll probably end up being a very good game though. Here's to sunk cost fallacy. :homebrew:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Toops posted:

It reeks of fear, and fear disgusts me.

Edit: also, in no particular order: largely weak opportunistic showcasey 3rd party support, the price tag, proprietary API’s which divide the dev commumity and expand the console wars to 2 dimensions, graphics processing is at least a generation behind what VR needs which necessitates large hackeries and cheating to get non-vomitous frame rates, etc.
Yeah but elite dangerous is real loving sick in vr.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Is SLI/Crossfire used much in VR? It would seem to be the ideal fit. One card rendering for each eye.

Am I missing something? I do own a Rift (and a DK2 before that).

I know Elite Dangerous doesn't support it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
VR is awesome if only for H3VR and all the ridiculous poo poo it lets you do. Oh, and Gorn.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Truga posted:

if you buy into it *now* you need to know you're a very early adopter
It's been around since 1985 - how many more decades does it need? Is VR still building the company?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

VR is awesome if only for H3VR and all the ridiculous poo poo it lets you do. Oh, and Gorn.

You neglected to mention Elite Dangerous.
I can only play it in VR now.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Technically correct

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Raskolnikov posted:

Technically correct

Actually it's really good

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What is anime

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Daztek posted:

What is anime

It's a kind of fungus, like fish sticks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Daztek posted:

What is anime

an invitation for disaster in these dark places

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Star Wars is anime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Last Jidai

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

geki

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

[Giant wall of text]
:stare:
Are you ok, commando?

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

AbstractNapper posted:

Why is a dodgy root certificate installed with the game anyway? Do MMO games do that in general?

I want to know this too. Why would this be in a game installer package?

Anyone got a link to the frontier forum post? (I'll probably find it in the end)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

VR bad so what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Anime is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmfriZoMw0