Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny how close we came to a Disney animated canon shared universe.

Some would argue Disney has already done it, if Easter Eggs and cameos count. There's also the Aladdin/Hercules TV crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just want to say that my team shares floorspace with the TMNT crew and on Thursday morning they used the conference room to LOUDLY broadcast that design announcement, so I got to hear fan reactions in real time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mraagvpeine posted:

Some would argue Disney has already done it, if Easter Eggs and cameos count. There's also the Aladdin/Hercules TV crossover.

House of Mouse, my man.

The new Ducktales also is dropping shared universe hints, with St. Canard and the TaleSpin place being hinted at.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Das Boo posted:

I just want to say that my team shares floorspace with the TMNT crew and on Thursday morning they used the conference room to LOUDLY broadcast that design announcement, so I got to hear fan reactions in real time.

What are your team working on?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

drrockso20 posted:

What are your team working on?

Zim. People occasionally walk by while telling visitors our show wasn't that good. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Zim. People occasionally walk by while telling visitors our show wasn't that good. :v:
Haha some people never change. I knew people from Zim's original run who encountered artists from other shows saying Zim sucked. talk about a complex

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It was hinted, but they never really committed. Aside from some of the comics, even Launchpad only vaguely hints at having worked for Scrooge McDuck in the past. Remains to be seen whether the new Ducktales will go all in on that, though it was noted that the writers have said they can't use Mickey himself (or at least an episode script involving him was vetoed) or the Rescue Rangers, since they have a movie deal going on, but everything else seems to be fair game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quest For Glory II posted:

Haha some people never change. I knew people from Zim's original run who encountered artists from other shows saying Zim sucked. talk about a complex

Invader Zim was definitely one of those shows that suffered from backlash to a particular portion of the fanbase being absolutely insufferable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

Invader Zim was definitely one of those shows that suffered from backlash to a particular portion of the fanbase being absolutely insufferable.
That didn't happen till a while after it was off the air, from what I recall.

Hot Topic really did a part to promote the GiR LOLTACOOOSSSSS idiocy, too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The night I met my wife I invited her to come back to my apartment to show her Invader Zim. We made it through 3 episodes when she realized she'd put herself in one of those positions that girls are supposed to be careful with, so I walked her home. We've been together for 14 years now.

A month after that night I met my first lol random Zim superfan. She monopolized my time for hours and I couldn't escape because I was at work.

I've never had the desire to watch it since.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Zim was fine. It had some funny concepts and some of the characters were pretty cool, like Dib's Dad. Also I thought the lolrandom jokes worked largely because of their delivery, like Gir's annoyed tone when asked why he threw out all his rocket fuel. His response is silly, "To make room for the Tuna" but it's the way it is said that makes it funny, because Gir is saying it in a really condescending way, like "If you thought about it for one second the reason would be obvious, God" also some of the visual gags were cool, like Zim's invisible robot that failed to make the pilot also invisible, which was deliberately made poo poo because the manufacturers were getting back at the Irkens for turning their planet into a munitions factory and enslaving them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The lolsorandom humour was pretty much entirely restricted to GIR, iirc, Zim himself is mostly hilarious for incredibly hammy delivery of... well, absolutely everything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The comics they've been doing for Zim have definitely done a lot to fix up some of the rougher aspects of the show, especially in making Gaz more likable(even if it comes at the cost of her new design being a lot blander than her old show design)

Also one thing that was nice about the show was how they made various issues they had with their animation studios into something funny

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Zim tended to have a logical random humor in that the path from point A to point B was unexpected, but sensible. "The school nurse might notice I've got alien organs. I'll steal everyone's organs and eat them because the more human organs means more human, right?" (Right.)

drrockso20 posted:

The comics they've been doing for Zim have definitely done a lot to fix up some of the rougher aspects of the show, especially in making Gaz more likable(even if it comes at the cost of her new design being a lot blander than her old show design)

Also one thing that was nice about the show was how they made various issues they had with their animation studios into something funny

I just did a variant cover for the the next volume! It's my first published comic anything. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Gaz was plenty likable in the original show, her complete lack of giving a poo poo was, in it's own way, funny and she did show her caring side when it mattered, like when Dib is failing to fight Zim whle Zim is inside his body, and she takes the controller and saves him due to being better at that kind of thing. Also when she ensures that Dib is retrieved from Zim in one piece because it's their annual family dinner with their father, and she never sees him and she'll be damned if she'll let Zim and Dib screw this up for her.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought Gaz was plenty likable in the original show, her complete lack of giving a poo poo was, in it's own way, funny and she did show her caring side when it mattered, like when Dib is failing to fight Zim whle Zim is inside his body, and she takes the controller and saves him due to being better at that kind of thing. Also when she ensures that Dib is retrieved from Zim in one piece because it's their annual family dinner with their father, and she never sees him and she'll be damned if she'll let Zim and Dib screw this up for her.

It's mostly that they dialed back a bit how angry she gets, and made it more obvious both that she actually does care for Dib, and what age she's supposed to be(she's supposed to be a couple years younger than him, back when the show was on I always thought she was the same age as him, or possibly even older), which is supposedly why they changed her default outfit to be less goth(although personally I think it came at the cost of making her very bland looking)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I believe the Hercules show also did a crossover with Mulan. The real Disney animated universe, though, comes from Lilo and Stitch: The Series which did a series of episodes where they met Kim Possible, the Proud Family, Jake Long: American Dragon, and the kids from Recess.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It was hinted, but they never really committed. Aside from some of the comics, even Launchpad only vaguely hints at having worked for Scrooge McDuck in the past. Remains to be seen whether the new Ducktales will go all in on that, though it was noted that the writers have said they can't use Mickey himself (or at least an episode script involving him was vetoed) or the Rescue Rangers, since they have a movie deal going on, but everything else seems to be fair game.

I'm fairly sure the writers have said they already have something planned for Darkwing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

fractalairduct posted:

I believe the Hercules show also did a crossover with Mulan.

I looked for this and to my great disappointment, there doesn't seem to be anything like this. However, it is part of my headcanon that when Aladdin is taking Jasmine around the world, the Greek gardens they fly through are the same ones Meg sings in, and when he takes Jasmine to the Forbidden City, the fireworks display they're watching is the same fireworks display that started with Mulan defeating Shan Yu.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The most jarring thing is Hercules meeting Aladdin, since Mycenean Greece and Islamic Persia (Agrabah is apparently clearly more Iranian than Arabic) were nearly a millennium apart, iirc.

Of course, people forget that to Cleopatra, the Pyramids were built longer ago in the past than Cleopatra is to us.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Then again Frozen and Big Hero 6 happened at roughly the same time so honestly all rules of that sort of get thrown out the window at speed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That also means they're contemporary with Tangled. I mean, that's just what Europe is like, right? Princesses and princes mucking about with crossbows and frying pans?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also something about the shipwreck in The Little Mermaid being the ship Elsa and Anna lost their paretns on so that would mean THAT takes place ages after BH6 (unless shipwrecks decay like mad underwater, which COULD be the case, I'm not a scientist of such matters) at which point the disney universe just refuses to make sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's also something about the shipwreck in The Little Mermaid being the ship Elsa and Anna lost their paretns on so that would mean THAT takes place ages after BH6 (unless shipwrecks decay like mad underwater, which COULD be the case, I'm not a scientist of such matters) at which point the disney universe just refuses to make sense.

Depends on the ship and the water, but there's a reason we have no idea what ships looked like until people started drawing them regularly, in seawater at least wood decays right quick.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember someone making a theory that Ariel and Hercules were related based on the assumption that Ariel's grandfather was Poseidon, brother of Zeus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC at some point in the cartoon or something they do mention 'Grandpa Neptune', aka Poseidon...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My own take on the "random" humor in Zim is that it's not random, but the universe constantly contorting itself in the dumbest possible way to get to the worst outcome for everyone. It's part of the cynicism. Most of the superfans miss the cynicism somehow, how the world of Zim is this horrible nightmare of the modern world progressing into the worst thing it could be even though you'd think the show was beating you over the head with it.
Gir's random talk was supposed to make you hate him, too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We don't need theories to connect the Disney Worlds, we got Kingdom Hearts.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My own take on the "random" humor in Zim is that it's not random, but the universe constantly contorting itself in the dumbest possible way to get to the worst outcome for everyone. It's part of the cynicism. Most of the superfans miss the cynicism somehow, how the world of Zim is this horrible nightmare of the modern world progressing into the worst thing it could be even though you'd think the show was beating you over the head with it.

I think a lot people can identify with someone put together out of scraps and garbage.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Argue posted:

I looked for this and to my great disappointment, there doesn't seem to be anything like this. However, it is part of my headcanon that when Aladdin is taking Jasmine around the world, the Greek gardens they fly through are the same ones Meg sings in, and when he takes Jasmine to the Forbidden City, the fireworks display they're watching is the same fireworks display that started with Mulan defeating Shan Yu.

Maybe it was the Aladdin show? I wasn't the right age to catch that era of cartoons, so I don't really know much about them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think a lot of that is that 90% of Zim fans are totally unfamiliar with Jhonen Vasquez's other work, and that theme is way, way more on-the-nose in his comics than it is in Zim. Once you're looking for it in Zim, it's obvious, but if you're not, it's totally fair to read the show as just being really dark and bizarre for the sake of it.

e: also, JTHM still totally holds up. Some of the jokes don't really land, but the fact that JV is able to take a character like Nny and apply a humanistic and empathetic approach to the character (especially towards the end), in spite of literally everything else about the character flying directly in the face of this, without just completely stepping on a rake in the process is a testament to just how good of a writer he is.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 6, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The hosed up world of Zim was always the funniest poo poo to me as a kid. The nasty bus with all the balloon and smacking noises, the meat made of napkins, the “human slave” joke where Zim has to work at McMeaties.

I had a few friends that would watch it with me, but most people my age at the time (11) didn’t really groove with it.

I owe way too much to Zim for anything I do as a creative person. It always sneaks up somewhere. I never felt more like a show was made for me until Zim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno if this is okay to post here, but I made a Zim Fan Film because it’s a thing I’ve wanted to do since I was 11. I started it years ago but couldn’t finish it. I picked it up again with my brother (who watched the show with me every night when it was one) and shot it in 3 Days with a budget of 70 bucks. It was kinda fun. Got kicked out of the IKEA parking lot. Dibs hair wouldn’t stay up.
Lots a problems, especially with the sound but maybe y’all would get a kick out of it, or at least laugh it at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNs3RfvksI

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 7, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want to say that's remarkably loving well-shot and I really want to see the kind of awesome things you'd do with a RED or Arri rig. It's got a very Refn/Jason Eisener feel to the lighting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OkNDho8kqw

I'm not sure what I love more. That Horse_ebooks reference, or the implication that Ice Bear has had a Twitter account for ages but never bothered to follow Panda. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love that Demetri Martin is actually saying lines.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

amigolupus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OkNDho8kqw

I'm not sure what I love more. That Horse_ebooks reference, or the implication that Ice Bear has had a Twitter account for ages but never bothered to follow Panda. :v:

It's nothing but anime retweets anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been thinking about Xiaolin Showdown again because it was one of my favourite mid-2000s shows.

I think something that stands out to me are the sense of contrast and progression - you see the effects that every villain has (except for Hannibal Bean) as most of them manage to briefly take over the world and they are all very different - from Jack Spicer's Technological dystopia in which all the former allies who never respected him are rounded up and humiliated in revenge for their constant making GBS threads on him, to Chase Young's unnatural levels of evil (because he is corrupted) literally tearing the world apart as he goes on a worldwide rampage trashing anything he feels like, to the relatively tame yet totally barren Hellscape caused by WuYa just not caring enough about other people, preferring to hole herself up in a mountain doing her best to keep herself and her sidekick comfortable. Wu Ya and Chase particularly because on the surface there are similarities, but Chase's evil is more deliberate while Wu Ya's is more passive.

There is also a strong sense of progression - Jack Spicer relies on the Shen Gong Wu (superpowered artifacts with unique powers, like the Talismans from Jackie Chan Adventures) almost exclusively early on because his Jackbots are pathetic, but as the series goes on his robots become more dangerous, like the Chameleon-bot. Early in the show the main characters rely on the Wu as well, but quickly learn to combine them with their own elements to add additional spins on their powers so start favouring signature Wu. Then as the villains get more dangerous and they cannot rely on the Wu alone their formations make them increasingly like their elements on their own, harnessing their personal energies rather than relying on the artifacts because they aren't good enough anymore.
Against Wu Ya, well Dashi created the Wu to be able to stand up to her and was only just able to seal her, she at least matches their power with her own.

Against Hannibal Bean, he uses mainly trickery and the Moby Morpher to do what he needs to do, so can rarely be taken out by force, and against Chase Young, he severely outclasses the character's martial arts so it hard to even hit him with a weapon, it's safer just to fight him hand to hand. Also Chase is tricky because his plans are more based on ideology, on Winning Omi over to his side rather than beating him in a fight and while he does cheat to make that happen, even when evil Omi's reasoning hasn't changed - it just brings his insecurities to the forefront, and Chase basically allowing Omi to do whatever the gently caress he wanted, often straight up giving him the tools he needed to save the day only makes it easier for Omi to begin trusting him a little too much.

Due to this dwindling utility, by the end of the series with the Wu-Dai Orion formation the dragons are basically fighting almost entirely with their own personal magic and the Wu are just trophies at that point.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 12, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah in the later episodes the Wu that get the most use(outside of a couple signature ones that sync particularly well with each Xiaolin Dragon's particular element) tend to be ones with utility abilities(like the various vehicle Wu) or are in the top percentage of combat potential(Shard of Lightning, and Fancy Feet both come to mind particularly)

Shame that certain planned ideas never got used though due to it getting canned, like Jack permanently switching sides and becoming the Xiaolin Dragon of Metal

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wait, are you serious? We got Chronicles instead of that? I knew that series was garbage, but now I'm even less happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
poo poo, that canned idea sounds really good. :smith: I also just wanted Raimundo as the official leader.