Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's almost worth it for that one spy Nopon that talks in an unsettling British tone with the usual Nopon speech patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't mind how nopon speak, but Rex-Rex always sounds awkward. If you're going to do that doubling it should probably always end with a vowel.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Natural 20 posted:

Jesus christ, would it have killed them to just have the Noppons speak in regular English.

I just tune out anything they say at this point because it's so grating. It's not cute when literally every other word is some sort of mangled English phrase.

There is a side quest that addresses your specific complaint.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anyone know which fish dish to make in the DLC side quest that involves cooking?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Red...something, I think

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Natural 20 posted:

Jesus christ, would it have killed them to just have the Noppons speak in regular English.

I just tune out anything they say at this point because it's so grating. It's not cute when literally every other word is some sort of mangled English phrase.

Friend should enjoy silly way Nopon talk; Makes them appear cutesy to other races.

Easier to sucker people into spending money if they think Nopon adorable.

(Also it's not a new thing, Nopon have talked like that since the original game. It's just their thing.)

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Friend should enjoy silly way Nopon talk; Makes them appear cutesy to other races.

Easier to sucker people into spending money if they think Nopon adorable.

(Also it's not a new thing, Nopon have talked like that since the original game. It's just their thing.)

Saying "Meh" every other word like they're a race of The Cheats wasn't in the original, and that's what makes them so obnoxious in this game. Didn't play X so maybe it was the same deal there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The lone Nopon in X was ten times worse than anything in either of the other games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ajkalan posted:

Saying "Meh" every other word like they're a race of The Cheats wasn't in the original, and that's what makes them so obnoxious in this game. Didn't play X so maybe it was the same deal there.

It helps if you understand the general inference of "Meh" as them saying "gently caress you/Go gently caress yourself".

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

The lone Nopon in X was ten times worse than anything in either of the other games.

He gave you your magical follow-this-for-your-destination ball, instantly making him orders of magnitude more useful than anything in this game.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm sorry but I don't take "that's just how it's always been" as an excuse for how dumb it sounds.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nopon speech is cool and good.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah I don't have a problem with how they spoke. The fact that the game treats it as totally normal makes it a lot better, since they're just guys that had to learn a new language and have an accent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The last chapter of this game is dire.

bizarre deformity posted:

Anyone know which fish dish to make in the DLC side quest that involves cooking?

Its the red fish dish at the bottom I believe.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It helps if you understand the general inference of "Meh" as them saying "gently caress you/Go gently caress yourself".

So Tora's little "meh" song when he picks up collectibles is just him dropping a bunch of F-bombs? Cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadowlyger posted:

So Tora's little "meh" song when he picks up collectibles is just him dropping a bunch of F-bombs? Cool.

Well that's probably more of a "gently caress, yes!" but yeah, pretty much. When you look at how they use it, it's basically a catch-all Nopon expletive.

"Meh-MEH-MEH!" (gently caress YOU, EAT DRILL!)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It's almost worth it for that one spy Nopon that talks in an unsettling British tone with the usual Nopon speech patterns.

i love nopon-speak because of when they go weirdly dark with it

like that or Nopon Breaking Bad in xenoblade 1

Momomo posted:

Yeah I don't have a problem with how they spoke. The fact that the game treats it as totally normal makes it a lot better, since they're just guys that had to learn a new language and have an accent.

this is part of why the nopon worked in general, they're an active part of the game world from the very start, unlike whatever the gently caress that thing was in xenogears that only existed to make xenogears.jpg

also some nopon who are scholars or children of immigrants in XB1 speak normally which is a nice touch

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i finally have All The Blades, I don't know what idolm@ster nightmare ursula's affinity chart has brought me into but whatever, i just beat up a giant cow for 10 hours i'm down for anything at this point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i finally have All The Blades, I don't know what idolm@ster nightmare ursula's affinity chart has brought me into but whatever, i just beat up a giant cow for 10 hours i'm down for anything at this point

I got ursula in chapter 5. I sidequested a bunch, maxed out a ton of blade charts and beat the game and I still have 40+ minutes to go to finish unlocking her grid

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 3, 2018

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Barudak posted:

I got ursula in chapter 5. I sidequested a bunch, maxed out a ton of blade charts and beat the game and I still have 40+ minutes to go to finish unlocking her grid

I just completed the torture quest.:shepicide: I finished the game, have everybody at level 99 and I think I'm not going to bother with the post-game bosses or trying to get all the rare blades. Maybe I'll dust off the Wii and have another go at XC1 (which I never managed to finish).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The insult to injury regarding Ursula's sidequest is that she comes out of the whole thing with around 3,000 trust and needs another 6,000 to max her grid. What in the ever loving gently caress?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Why does Rex want an Axe blade so badly from a gameplay perspective?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Natural 20 posted:

Why does Rex want an Axe blade so badly from a gameplay perspective?

Launch. He can topple with Pyra, launch with an axe, and then gets a story-mandated blade that lets him smash. So long as someone breaks the enemy (Nia is really good at this), he can complete the whole driver combo by himself for lots of damage and some extra drops.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

Launch. He can topple with Pyra, launch with an axe, and then gets a story-mandated blade that lets him smash. So long as someone breaks the enemy (Nia is really good at this), he can complete the whole driver combo by himself for lots of damage and some extra drops.

Ah I see.

Wait, how do I even do that with blade cooldowns?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Natural 20 posted:

Ah I see.

Wait, how do I even do that with blade cooldowns?

Break timer is pretty long. Wait until the last quarter of the Break bar to use Topple. Usually by this point, your other blades should be ready to be switched.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rex's axe skill that does more damage against toppled enemies along with the accessory that gives a similar bonus can add up to a nice bit of damage as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy balls this is some bullshit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You technically don't need an axe to give rex Launch but your other method of getting it isn't accessible until partway through chapter eight.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Who is the best Axe blade? I have Godfrey if he’s acceptable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mill Village posted:

He's not.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

IcePhoenix posted:

You technically don't need an axe to give rex Launch but your other method of getting it isn't accessible until partway through chapter eight.

Pandoria? I thought you got that right at the end of chapter 7. Close enough I guess, if it's what you meant. I'm more wondering if there's a different one I'm not thinking of.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Mill Village posted:

He's not good and he's also not an axe - he's a shield hammer. ANd a terrible one. He's useful mid-game for elemental coverage on 4 that includes a topple but that's about it. His skills/bonuses are hot garbage and his blade quest is festering garbage. And his voice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shortspecialbus posted:

Pandoria? I thought you got that right at the end of chapter 7. Close enough I guess, if it's what you meant. I'm more wondering if there's a different one I'm not thinking of.

Yes. I said partway through because you get the ability to use her at the end of 7/start of 8 but you technically can't equip her until you meet up with your party again because she's on Zeke.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

4 loving never switches to their topple blade which is annoying if I'm running 5 instead of Rex for dps.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Zenobia is the best axe blade. Agate isn't bad either.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Spite posted:

Dagas is arguably better than both, though whether his team damage boost outweighs Zenobia's solo damage depends heavily on your teammates' blades,

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

4 loving never switches to their topple blade which is annoying if I'm running 5 instead of Rex for dps.

Yeah, 5 prioritizes switching. 4 does not at all. You can get away with that if (chapter 7 spoiler)You make Nia a blade, put her on Rex with Mythra and Roc, and cover heals. I did chapters 8-10 with Rex, Morag, and Zeke, with Nia as my healer on Rex. It worked very well. Even worked on Cloud King Ken. You do need to control Rex, though, so that you can switch to Nia for emergency heals (which she can do really well through either her art or her specials). You can get hosed over by an untimely shackle blade though so watch out for that. It's a very viable party though, and you can get really good damage from the triple combo later on, not to mention Nia and Mythra do really good damage to begin with as blades. Roc is only for smashing or elementals imo.
Zeke will nail probably 60-70% of launches, sometimes better. He yells "PANDORIA!" really loud when he's going to launch, so you get a bit of warning to do some more damage before switching to Roc for the smash.
Do not rely on Morag at all for smashes either, maybe 20% she'll do.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes. I said partway through because you get the ability to use her at the end of 7/start of 8 but you technically can't equip her until you meet up with your party again because she's on Zeke.

Oh, right. Been a while, sorry.

ssb fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 4, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Spite posted:

Wait there's a blade named after the kingdom from Ogre Battle?

I must have it.

Additionally, is there a list or summary anywhere of sidequests I don't want to miss? I'm enjoying the main plot at the moment, but I'm worried I'm going to miss particularly good sidequest rewards if I don't do all of them.

Even if good rewards aren't missable, I'd appreciate just knowing which sidequests I can safely ignore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Natural 20 posted:

Wait there's a blade named after the kingdom from Ogre Battle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenobia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

No, no. Ogre Battle came first.