Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Siets posted:

Not sure you’re aware, but in music musicians often learn pieces at slower tempos first before speeding up to the designated tempo. Since playing instruments is also a matter of pushing various buttons in a specific sequence then it stands to reason...

Basically it's a tried and true method for anything muscle memory related, but it does take dedicated practice and discipline which a lot of average musicians, let alone people playing anime fighting games will simply not have. It's kind of excessive and overkill, maybe too serious for something as silly as a fighting games, especially DBFZ which is one of the easiest and most lenient yet and the fact that a lot just use macros and dont bother with practicing at all in other games. But there are people that have extremely poor timing and/or hand eye coordination (beginners) that could benefit greatly and could get caught up a little with such practice. If you've been playing fighting games all your life or at least several year and are not trying to become a pro, there is a good chance you're fine with what you're doing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Idg why there's a weird crowd who insists that practicing something at a slower speed doesn't help.

non-constructive attempts at dealing with self-esteem issues

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I wrote a post about that. The range of motion for a combo is way simpler than for a musical piece. You also don't need to worry about dynamics. More importantly, when you play a piece at a slower tempo, you're playing a piece at a slower tempo. When you do a combo at a slower pace, you're dropping the combo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dias posted:

More importantly, when you play a piece at a slower tempo, you're playing a piece at a slower tempo. When you do a combo at a slower pace, you're dropping the combo.

A comment from me, a musician; if you have to play the piece at a slower tempo, you're not playing the piece. The comparison is apt because the tempo is important to a composition; while slowing it down helps in learning it, the purpose of doing so is to make it easier to learn it at the actual speed.

It is not a complicated or unreasonable idea that one should become familiar with the buttons that they're pressing, and in which order, at a comfortable speed before attempt to input them at the required speed.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah the thing is the game doesn't give you visual feedback when you do things at slow speed so it's a little more limited as a tool, but I've still found slowing things helpful with certain complicated things. Not in DBZ yet mind you, but particularly odd joystick movements like Axl tk bombers or Johnny mist cancel stuff in Xrd. Do it slow and look at the input tracker to troubleshoot your technique. Anyways I think writing it off as a tool is dumb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can press button at any speed in the game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CRISPYBABY posted:

Idg why there's a weird crowd who insists that practicing something at a slower speed doesn't help. Yes music and games are different but doing something slowly and simply and speeding it up is like the base learning pattern of every fine motor coordination skill. Dang.

Ironically it can actually be harder to get poo poo timed right at super slow speed, but generally the normal way people learn musical scales/patterns is to do it a few times slowly to memorize what exactly is being played and then play it faster and faster until you surpass it's normal speed in order to build up muscle memory as it becomes second nature. Then play it at the normal speed once you're comfortable. I'm scrubby as hell at fighting games but I've been playing music for years and a lot of the fine muscle memory practice carries over nearly one to one. Spending an afternoon practicing at 250bpm makes songs at 190 feel glacial.

Another trick for learning patterns is to take it all in chunks, so learn the first section, then practice the second section separately. For example, a ton of BnB stuff will have 2M 5M jc jLML jc LMH super dash LM to either special->super or special vanish other stuff. Instead of practicing the whole thing straight off the bat you just do 2H super dash LM special to super and get the hang of that.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 5, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instead of arguing that there is only one way to learn things, or that a game that will never have slow mo should have it, can we please talk about when arale is going to join the roster

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seems like it'd be easier to learn the combo the right way.

Ghostlight posted:

You can press button at any speed in the game.

Great posts.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Dias posted:

I mean, I wrote a post about that. The range of motion for a combo is way simpler than for a musical piece. You also don't need to worry about dynamics. More importantly, when you play a piece at a slower tempo, you're playing a piece at a slower tempo. When you do a combo at a slower pace, you're dropping the combo.

I dont think anyone would make a direct comparison like that, but you cant dismiss some overlap. In particular, what I'm referring to is simply learning to not mash at all and striving for accuracy over speed, especially in this game you need clean inputs at high speeds and specific timing (more so with some characters than others.) I think a lot are not aware of how difficult that is for a complete beginner. Yes, it is harder at first and you will drop combos as youre building up over time, but for a seasoned player this could actually mean undoing bad habits learned from simply practicing the wrong way for years. This is no different in music, there is a lot of self-taught sloppy players that think they are hot poo poo and dont need to learn the proper way. The point of slowing down is to analyze your own mechanics and timing so you can fix micro-mistakes in pursuit of accuracy, over the long term (years.)

Think how many people just mash L through the very first combo challenge of every character. Ask them to do it the correct number of times in the necessary timing, they will drop that combo, does that mean they are becoming worse in doing it that way? Actually, pressing it the exact number of times in the correct timing does more for you as far as learning the game and that specific character than simply getting through it, despite being more difficult at first.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yeah the thing is the game doesn't give you visual feedback when you do things at slow speed

In music it's even harder because there is no feedback at all, for something like very strict jazz timings (<10frame equivalent) you either hear it or you dont, you will never know if you played something incorrectly until a real teacher throws the note stand at your head. At least in a game you know if you landed a 1frame link and learning to do it actually is useful for improving your natural timing, but mashing through it just to get it in somehow will not help you in any way. While you may pull it off in training mode, you wont be able to do it under pressure in match because you aren't really learning the timing.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 5, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I can't figure out why I can't consistently combo 214L -> 6H -> 2M with Goku Black. I assume its timing based but I can't nail the timing.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I dont think anyone would make a direct comparison like that, but you cant dismiss some overlap. In particular, what I'm referring to is simply learning to not mash at all and striving for accuracy over speed, especially in this game you need clean inputs at high speeds and specific timing (more so with some characters than others.) I think a lot are not aware of how difficult that is for a complete beginner. Yes, it is harder at first and you will drop combos as youre building up over time, but for a seasoned player this could actually mean undoing bad habits learned from simply practicing the wrong way for years. This is no different in music, there is a lot of self-taught sloppy players that think they are hot poo poo and dont need to learn the proper way. The point of slowing down is to analyze your own mechanics and timing so you can fix micro-mistakes in pursuit of accuracy, over the long term (years.)

Think how many people just mash L through the very first combo challenge of every character. Ask them to do it the correct number of times in the necessary timing, they will drop that combo, does that mean they are becoming worse in doing it that way? Actually, pressing it the exact number of times in the correct timing does more for you as far as learning the game and that specific character than simply getting through it, despite being more difficult at first.

In music it's even harder because there is no feedback at all, for something like very strict jazz timings (<10frame equivalent) you either hear it or you dont, you will never know if you played something incorrectly until a real teacher throws the note stand at your head. At least in a game you know if you landed a 1frame link and learning to do it actually is useful for improving your natural timing, but mashing through it just to get it in somehow will not help you in any way. While you may pull it off in training mode, you wont be able to do it under pressure in match because you aren't really learning the timing.

Just press the buttons dingus

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Kild posted:

I can't figure out why I can't consistently combo 214L -> 6H -> 2M with Goku Black. I assume its timing based but I can't nail the timing.

did you try slowing the game down and practicing it at five percent speed

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
usually yall are elite fucks about some rightful poo poo but this is the dumbest hill to pride on imo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zand posted:

if you're really good about your training you'll practice at 1/365th speed

that's how they got ready to beat cell afterall

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
actually the only way to get really good at combos is if you practice them in 100x earth's gravity

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You need to die and practice combos in the afterlife to really nail them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zand posted:

I tried using Hit's time skip but I'm still loving it up!!!

(The real answer is if you forward dash right after you can do it like every time)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the only ball game i cared about last night was..... the dragon one!!

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAluAPKzKMs
I'm going to have fun with this until it gets fixed and none of you can stop me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Just press the buttons dingus

But they're exactly right about how you learn music.

Hell, part of the reason I'm so much more comfortable on hitbox than anything else is because I was a pianist for years so I just approximate pushing the directional buttons to playing a musical piece.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wear a ball-and-chain on both my wrists when I hit the lab.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't make a bit of difference, guys.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
slowing down the game would be good for practicing

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Asking for a friend: is matchmaking/connectivity and anything related a shitshow for anyone else? I don't get if it's my internet connection or there's something server-related - I suspect the latter as it's the first game having connection issues in a long time, but I'm seeing relatively little complaints and zero acknowledgements.

Random lobby disconnects and finding exactly zero green+ connection opponents during the whole sunday. I don't think I ever met someone with a blue connection. Luckily, 4 frames games are still playable, problem is half of the ranked proposals the game throws at me are 0-1 bars opponents.
The friend wasn't able to spend more than 5 minutes in a lobby before getting disconnected.

PC EU, just in case.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

darealkooky posted:

super useful poo poo

Hey thanks for the Majin Buu pointers that was all super useful.

So playing around with some of that stuff, am I right in thinking for a starting point:

Midscreen BnB:
2M 2S 5L 2H SD j.LM jc j,LMH for a hard knockdown

Corner BnB:
2M 2S 5L j.LML 2H SD j.LM jc J.LMS 236L for hard knockdown.

I know I can get j.LMS into 236H without being in the corner if I burn meter for it.
Need to play around with 214H as well, that seems neat.
And adding all that stuff with the assist/goo trap mixup cause drat that looks like fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't make a bit of difference, guys.

👍

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k79BZGyZ2J8

rundown of the ginyu force and some bodyswap combos

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 5, 2018

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Been working on Yamcha's link from Spirit Ball to Neo WFF. The basic idea here is to use 7, 8, and 9 hits to get them high in the air and then end with 1, 2, or 3 for the hard knockdown that you can link off of. In order to link they have to be high enough in the air that, in the time it takes for them to reach the ground, you can recover and start the level 3, however if they're too high they'll flip out before hitting the ground. You can adjust how high they get by adding more delay between hits, more delay gives them more time to travel in the direction you hit them before being redirected.

Midscreen I've found 84841, in a moderately slow rhythm, to work great, but I'm having trouble finding a similarly reliable pattern in the corner. 84843 can work, but the timing to get them to land back in the corner is very particular, often they land behind you instead. I think 79792, done quickly save for a long pause before the 2, will be more reliable but I need to do more testing. Any of y'all find a better pattern?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

if you're really good about your training you'll practice at 1/365th speed

that's how they got ready to beat cell afterall

i just stop time for exactly one frame so my enemy can't see that i dropped the combo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This has probably been asked and answered a bunch of times, but how do I get my inputs to show up as LMH instead of the Xbox buttons?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fadam posted:

This has probably been asked and answered a bunch of times, but how do I get my inputs to show up as LMH instead of the Xbox buttons?

You can't. It sucks.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
A hard part of catching up watching OGBall is how of all that training time like no one practiced mashing counter 2H, it hurts to watch.

O and this lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

You can't. It sucks.

Wait, what? How do people have it in videos then?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

fadam posted:

Wait, what? How do people have it in videos then?

You can't change the display for the move list (it's hard coded to the Xbox default controls on PC), but LMHS is the default for the training mode input tracker. Yes, it's insanely dumb.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CRISPYBABY posted:

You can't change the display for the move list (it's hard coded to the Xbox default controls on PC), but LMHS is the default for the training mode input tracker. Yes, it's insanely dumb.

Dang, that's a bummer. Ty anyway.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

That Cell midair slash attack, is that from when Cell was making the Cell Games arena and started cutting apart the rock? If so I really love how deep they dug to get moves in this game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Meme Emulator posted:

That Cell midair slash attack, is that from when Cell was making the Cell Games arena and started cutting apart the rock? If so I really love how deep they dug to get moves in this game

There's people making direct comparisons to the show and manga panels to every move in the game.

Quite literally every single move in the game is a reference to the anime, manga, or previous game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tae posted:

Quite literally every single move in the game is a reference to the anime, manga, or previous game.

Yes I know, Im curious if that specific attack was from when Cell was cutting the rock apart or if it was from something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes I know, Im curious if that specific attack was from when Cell was cutting the rock apart or if it was from something else.

Hell, Nappa's 2H can be cancelled if you hold H because that's the move he does where Vegeta interrupts him and tells him to wait for Goku to arrive.

It also means he can't do a launcher if he's already in the air to continue a combo with a dragon rush, so I can't just apply universal BnB combos to him :negative: