Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Close the thread until Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Pedantic nerds arguing about irrelevant details ad nauseum.

Yep, this is Something Awful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Scanlon's form of contractualism rejects a more static [You might say objectively point based] approach to morality in favor of a rational, situation based one. And isn't as concerned with submission to the state as some forms of contractualism. This by nature makes it a bit abstract, but it's fairly simple: People coming together to work out how to get by in the world.

"Wrong" is what anyone working in good faith would reject. "Right" is an action that everyone would accept. That's why it's "contractualism", and 'the social contract". It's what we all make up as we go along to do the best we can as a group, and it involves everyone involved buying in to the central principle. It is literally what the cast is doing each season. They juggle all these competing philosophical ideas with the reality they are in the actual afterlife for realzies, having been judged for their actions [And in the second season with the knowledge they *all* were judged objectively 'wrong' the first time], and in the end they come together as a group to be there for each other and to be better people.

Right and wrong, even more basic an idea than good and evil, is a complicated subject. How do we judge the right and wrong of our actions, and how do we go about leading a moral life? And the simpliest way to approach it is to ask that very stark question, "What do we owe to each other?". The answer, simplified and shortened, is to try our best. That's it. If they were going to back any particular moral philosophy for a way forward, they could certainly do a lot worse. Doesn't hurt that it's abstract enough it doesn't have to make any intrinsically troubling statements, and that it's a relatively modern take [Book was only published in 1998, and Scanlon isn't even dead, making him practically a uppity teen rebel in philosophy years].

e: Seriously, if you haven't been dead for two centuries and discredited at least 5 times what the hell are you even doing?

Thanks! This makes a lot more sense now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

withak posted:

Reboot the thread 800 times until Season 3.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Mulva posted:

Scanlon's form of contractualism rejects a more static [You might say objectively point based] approach to morality in favor of a rational, situation based one. And isn't as concerned with submission to the state as some forms of contractualism. This by nature makes it a bit abstract, but it's fairly simple: People coming together to work out how to get by in the world.

"Wrong" is what anyone working in good faith would reject. "Right" is an action that everyone would accept. That's why it's "contractualism", and 'the social contract". It's what we all make up as we go along to do the best we can as a group, and it involves everyone involved buying in to the central principle. It is literally what the cast is doing each season. They juggle all these competing philosophical ideas with the reality they are in the actual afterlife for realzies, having been judged for their actions [And in the second season with the knowledge they *all* were judged objectively 'wrong' the first time], and in the end they come together as a group to be there for each other and to be better people.

Right and wrong, even more basic an idea than good and evil, is a complicated subject. How do we judge the right and wrong of our actions, and how do we go about leading a moral life? And the simpliest way to approach it is to ask that very stark question, "What do we owe to each other?". The answer, simplified and shortened, is to try our best. That's it. If they were going to back any particular moral philosophy for a way forward, they could certainly do a lot worse. Doesn't hurt that it's abstract enough it doesn't have to make any intrinsically troubling statements, and that it's a relatively modern take [Book was only published in 1998, and Scanlon isn't even dead, making him practically a uppity teen rebel in philosophy years].

e: Seriously, if you haven't been dead for two centuries and discredited at least 5 times what the hell are you even doing?

I appreciate this post

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Accent chat is why people make fun of TVIV.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Accent chat is why people make fun of TVIV.

It's done, it's fine, it's over!

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
it's kind of weird seeing academic books on this show; like they use those green cambridge editions sometimes when they show philosophy books and they are very distinctive and weird seeing this stuff show up in a network sitcom.

Also Netflix hit Mindhunter does a much worse and more hamhandedly annoying job being a "show about ideas" than The GOod Place

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Rarity posted:

loving hell, this thread is the worst

Remember pizza chat? Pizza chat was nice. I'm partial to a bacon/sausage/meatball combo with a BBQ base.

This thread has a ratio of 2:1 of dumb loving fanfic theories about the show vs. discussing the actual episodes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

spudsbuckley posted:

This thread has a ratio of 2:1 of dumb loving fanfic theories about the show vs. discussing the actual episodes.

Is that a bad thing, though? I mean, for one thing, there's only so much that can be said about an episode of a TV show. Stick to that, and you have a thread full of episode reviews. Gee, doesn't that sound fun to read.

Also, I blame the show. This show is so good that it gets people excited, thinking, expanding the narrative and extrapolating minutia that will never come up on the show. You don't see that so much in bad or boring TV shows. Threads for those shows tend to either not exist, or consist of jokes about the show. Just go back and read the thread for The Slap for a good example of that. (And if you can, tell me which one of them was "the Slap," because I never figured that out.)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I’d just like to thank whatever goon talked about this show in another random thread, because I love it and will be sad until it comes back.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hanales posted:

I’d just like to thank whatever goon talked about this show in another random thread, because I love it and will be sad until it comes back.

I'd like to thank the guy in A/T who told me to watch it without reading anything about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'd like to thank the guy in A/T who told me to watch it without reading anything about it.

That’s my advice I’ve given to anyone thinking about watching. ‘Just watch it, don’t read up on it’.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

withak posted:

Reboot the thread 800 times until Season 3.

I would legit love if a mod would keep closing and reposting a new thread 800 times.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So I kind of feel like this show was a bit too nice, relaxed and inconsequential this year.

None of the demons they had to hide from where threatening or even memorable, and Jason has gone so far into being cartoonish and dumb that I can't care about his character one bit.

Everything else was great, but there's no tension.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think there was tension from the demons early on when the fear was that Sean would find out or if Michael would stay loyal or turn after getting everything he ever wanted. After that I think the real tension was meant to be from what would happen when they found the judge rather than from sneaking through Hell per se.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Stupid fan theory that I’m sure has already been brought up, but isn’t it possible that this latest reboot is just Michael’s test by the Judge? Everyone else got one, but he’s worked so hard for redemption, maybe she’s putting him through the same wringer that the others already did. Or not because he arrived after they’d already failed, but not like there’s anything else to do but pointlessly speculate for the next several months.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My prediction: Jason says he will be a good person if the Jags beat the Steelers, and immediatley does so but slips up while they are playing the Patriots which furthers his resolve to be good.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

swickles posted:

My prediction: Jason says he will be a good person if the Jags beat the Steelers, and immediatley does so but slips up while they are playing the Patriots which furthers his resolve to be good.

I like to think Jason doesn't even really know that there are teams other than the Jaguars and the Titans

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://mobile.twitter.com/mrgan/status/960558871042342914

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yes, the mystery flavor was white chocolate - in the form of not white chocolate.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
It came to me at work today that this show's vision of hell owes something to Sex House.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Red Ryder posted:

It came to me at work today that this show's vision of hell owes something to Sex House.

But enough about attempt 218

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Red Ryder posted:

Cloudy drink kills frog!
Cloudy drink kills frog!

:gonk:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rarity posted:

Cloudy drink kills frog!
Cloudy drink kills frog!

:gonk:

I ended up rewatching Sex House because of you guys. So... thanks for that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pwn posted:

Yes, the mystery flavor was white chocolate - in the form of not white chocolate.

Mole is chocolate, it's just not disgusting on savory foods like chocolate-chocolate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
White chocolate isn’t even really chocolate so let’s not get too hung up on purity here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...wait, are some of the writers for the show goons? Because I just realized the only other time I've heard of anyone eating fried savory food with chocolate sauce, other than the mystery flavor in Eleanor's shrimp machine, was that loving Golden Corral story someone posted a long time ago where people were dipping fried chicken in the chocolate fountain.

And I mean, that's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind. :gonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Caros posted:

I ended up rewatching Sex House because of you guys. So... thanks for that.

It was the sexy thing to do :eng101:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Haha, I hadn't seen that series before. A good recommendation.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if the chidi in eleanor's tickertape machine ends up being a better person for meeting her, do you think the chidi in chidi's tickertape machine will be able to use that to get a mulligan on his final judgment

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...wait, are some of the writers for the show goons? Because I just realized the only other time I've heard of anyone eating fried savory food with chocolate sauce, other than the mystery flavor in Eleanor's shrimp machine, was that loving Golden Corral story someone posted a long time ago where people were dipping fried chicken in the chocolate fountain.

And I mean, that's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind. :gonk:

One of the show's writers is Megan Amram, a funny shitposter on Twitter. I don't know if she ever read SA, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
We'll know when someone serves tiny pastries

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Venuz Patrol posted:

if the chidi in eleanor's tickertape machine ends up being a better person for meeting her, do you think the chidi in chidi's tickertape machine will be able to use that to get a mulligan on his final judgment

I’m guessing that it’s the same Chidi, but if not then they will have identical totals (with slightly different points in specific categories) and Chidi will be given the choice of which results he wants to use.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I love that I totally loving called what the end-of-season twist was gonna be (though I thought it was gonna be a series finale).

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

At this point, I'm basically calling that the series (whenever it does end) will end with the main four being reincarnated on Earth and given a second chance with all the improvements they've made on themselves. This will almost certainly be remarked on as completely unprecedented, with the slight possibility that Doug Forcett did it before them and that's how he got it all right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi I just found this show and have watched most of season 1. It's very comfortable easy-watching. The whole aesthetic of the show reminds me of playing The Sims, even the soundtrack. I wonder if that was on purpose at all considering the sims is a game where you're god of an idealized little village that sort of resembles real life but is sanitized and full of supernatural/scifi magic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hmm, my Sims neighborhoods are Bad Places masquerading as Good Places...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If you put Jason in a pool and then delete the ladder, can he climb out or will he paddle until he dies?

Bonus: At the far end of the pool is Blake Bortles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

If you put Jason in a pool and then delete the ladder, can he climb out or will he paddle until he dies?

Bonus: At the far end of the pool is Blake Bortles.

Wait... this is a test!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

My thanks goes to the random review I read somewhere that spoiled the Season 1 ending but made the show sound so compelling that I checked it out and watched the whole first season in a day.

• Locked thread