Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Can't wait to see them pics when you get your steel!

Grandma pie is a NYC thing, a slight variant on a Sicilian pizza. It's an olive oil covered square sheet pan pizza, dough stretched out on it and covered with mozz first then sauce. Grandma pie doesn't have as long a fermentation as a Sicilian and makes for a different kind of dough when cooked in the oven. It's an East Coast/NYC pizza for sure, slowly making its way out West (apparently - this is what I'm hearing from the pizza dudes I talk to). It's good!

interesting! i've been really digging the detroit style stuff from a place near me but i need to try making it at home, do you have a recipe for detroit style dough? i think kenji has a recipe but i figured you probably have one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I tried out my pizzastone for the first time tonight. Had some issues getting the dough to behave but ended up with a solid result.

I did all the dough stretching on a floured cutting board and apparently it all got used up during the stretching/kneading because the pizza was stuck to it. I tried to transfer it over but it ended up being a gigantic mess.

For future reference, is there some trick to transferring the pizza onto the hot stone? It's so soft and sticky I have no idea.

e: :(

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 21, 2018

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Salvor_Hardin posted:

For future reference, is there some trick to transferring the pizza onto the hot stone? It's so soft and sticky I have no idea.

I would use either flour or cornmeal on your peel or whatever you're using to transfer the pizza to the oven. If you're using flour, be a little mindful of how much because it can burn and taste pretty bitter. Cornmeal doesn't burn as easily.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do you have a pizza peel or was it just the cutting board?

A peel will make it easier, and others will fill in with more tips, but here’s a few:

When you make it on a cutting board or even a peel, you only have so long to assemble the pizza before transferring to the oven. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move it. If you don’t have a peel, you could stretch the dough, then transfer it to a cookie sheet upside down with parchment paper on it, then assemble it, and then slide it onto the stone.

Another thing is throwing semolina flour or rice flour on the peel or cutting board or whatever. It tends to work better than normal flour for slipping the dough off.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Do you have a pizza peel or was it just the cutting board?

A peel will make it easier, and others will fill in with more tips, but here’s a few:

When you make it on a cutting board or even a peel, you only have so long to assemble the pizza before transferring to the oven. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move it. If you don’t have a peel, you could stretch the dough, then transfer it to a cookie sheet upside down with parchment paper on it, then assemble it, and then slide it onto the stone.

Another thing is throwing semolina flour or rice flour on the peel or cutting board or whatever. It tends to work better than normal flour for slipping the dough off.

Yeah the timing is something I was just reading about. My pizza was hanging out on that plastic cutting board for 15min before I tried to transfer it. It sounds like corn meal, timing, and maybe parchment paper (does the paper go onto the stone?) would help a lot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

(does the paper go onto the stone?)
I make and bake my pizzas on parchment paper, mostly because :effort:.

Pros: easy to transfer, easy to roll the dough out with a pin
Cons: you're limited to the temperature of the parchment (typically 450°F)

I heat my stone at 500°F, then turn the temp down to 450° when I put the pizza+parchment in. That helps with (but doesn't eliminate) the problem of the crust not being very brown when the top is finished.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Make sure if you use corn meal-don’t throw it on the preheated stone directly. That poo poo burns up and smokes quick. It’s fine if you put it on a peel and then the dough goes on top of that as you transfer it to the stone.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I want to verify the definition of moisture percentage. Is it the ratio of liquid to flour? Or the percentage of the total recipe that's liquid?

ex.: I made a dough batch with 900g flour and 600g water (salt and yeast, too, of course). Is that 66% hydration, because there is two-thirds as much water as flour? Or is it 40% hydration, because water makes up 40% of the total weight?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. It's ratio compared to flour.

1000g flour
650g water
25g salt
5g yeast

Is the same as

1000g flour
65% hydration
2.5% salt
0.5% yeast

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks. On a side note, the pizza party I mentioned earlier in the thread went off wonderfully.

For 8 people I made enough dough for 10 pies. A few hours before the party I shaped the 10 dough balls and took them out of the fridge. I left an open space on the counter for forming the pies. To the left were the dough balls and flour. Up top were sauces: DOP San Marzanos that I cooked with a touch of butter and oregano; a store-bought East Carolina tomato-based barbeque sauce; and some basil pesto. To the right were the cheeses: fresh mozzarella, smoked cheddar, and ricotta. On the side were the toppings: red onions, red peppers, cremini mushrooms, bacon, pepperoni, basil, and jalapenos.

Pizza purists are rolling their eyes and have probably stopped reading, but we made some really delicious pies.

My guests ranged from one guy who couldn't boil water to a girl who used to work in a pizza shop. Also, one was lactose-intolerant and another was allergic to tomatoes. We had to bake them one a time, and we used the parchment paper trick instead of a peel. They all had a blast making and baking their own pizzas. And most of the combinations turned out really well. I don't have pictures, but I have some notable pies:

-Carolina tomato barbeque sauce with smoked cheddar cheese and jalapeno peppers
-Pesto with mozzarella, plus basil added after cooking
-Ricotta, bacon, and mushrooms over mozzarella and tomato sauce
-Pesto with mozzarella and pepperoni. Pesto and pepperoni sounded weird to me, but it actually tasted really good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What is the parchment paper trick? Do you just put parchment on a peel and launch it that way, with the dough on the parchment? Doesn’t it burn above 450?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

nwin posted:

What is the parchment paper trick? Do you just put parchment on a peel and launch it that way, with the dough on the parchment? Doesn’t it burn above 450?

No peel.

1) Flour on the counter and shape your dough.
2) Lift the dough and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. About two inches longer and wider than the pizza.
3) Add sauce and toppings.
4) Lift the parchment paper by the sides, with some tension so the pizza stays flat.
5) Have a friend open the oven and pull out the rack with the pizza stone.
6) Put the parchment paper and pizza on the stone.
7) Close and cook.
8) When finished take the pizza out with a regular spatula ( with practice, works for up to a 12" pie).
9) Throw away the parchment paper.

In my 550 degree home oven, the edges of the paper blacken but don't catch fire. The paper under the dough isn't affected and doesn't affect the flavor of the pizza.

I used to use a plastic cutting board as a psuedo-peel with cornmeal, but I never got good at it. The parchment paper trick works great for me and hasn't had a noticeable effect on my pizza.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bagheera posted:

No peel.

1) Flour on the counter and shape your dough.
2) Lift the dough and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. About two inches longer and wider than the pizza.
3) Add sauce and toppings.
4) Lift the parchment paper by the sides, with some tension so the pizza stays flat.
5) Have a friend open the oven and pull out the rack with the pizza stone.
6) Put the parchment paper and pizza on the stone.
7) Close and cook.
8) When finished take the pizza out with a regular spatula ( with practice, works for up to a 12" pie).
9) Throw away the parchment paper.

In my 550 degree home oven, the edges of the paper blacken but don't catch fire. The paper under the dough isn't affected and doesn't affect the flavor of the pizza.

I used to use a plastic cutting board as a psuedo-peel with cornmeal, but I never got good at it. The parchment paper trick works great for me and hasn't had a noticeable effect on my pizza.

Ah ok thanks. That would work for me up to the point of #5, since I have a baking steel and pulling that rack out is heavy as gently caress and would be pretty hard to do for my wife. I'll stick with the peel method.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

nwin posted:

Ah ok thanks. That would work for me up to the point of #5, since I have a baking steel and pulling that rack out is heavy as gently caress and would be pretty hard to do for my wife. I'll stick with the peel method.

Ok. One of our racks is "rolling rack" that glides on ball bearings like a dresser drawer. Really handy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
uhhh you guys bake WITH the parchment paper? no thanks.

just put your parchment paper on a peel. have enough that it covers the entire top and half of the bottom. very lightly flour the paper. build your pizza on the paper. depending on your space it might be easier to have the excess paper go off the side of the peel rather than the front.

pull your oven rack with the steel/stone out as far as it'll go. touch the peel to the back of your stone/steel. using a rubber oven mitt grab the hanging piece of parchment paper and pull it towards you out of the oven, thus pulling the pizza towards the stone and into the oven. you need the mitt because your hand will be a few inches away from extremely hot steel/stone.

once the pizza touches the steel, it will adhere. just keep gently pulling your parchment paper and moving the peel back, and the pizza should slide right off onto the steel with almost NO flour used. you're basically just making a manual conveyor belt out of parchment paper. works great and my pizzas have gotten sooooo much better without all the flour (or god forbid cornmeal) attached to the bottom after cooking.

I cant give pizza recos in this thread without posting my bonafides. I'm still learning but make a good pie. imo a great sauce is the key to great pizza. that reminds me, I've got to put in my orders for some bushels of organic san marzanos this summer.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 5, 2018

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just cut off the extra paper before it goes in so it doesn't burn and then crumble all over the place when I pull it out. A proper stainless steel peel is essential for me too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cant you pull the parchment paper out after like 2-3 minutes?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser_Soze posted:

I just cut off the extra paper before it goes in so it doesn't burn and then crumble all over the place when I pull it out. A proper stainless steel peel is essential for me too.

but I can't imagine that you're getting the same kind of bottom crust quality as you would get without the paper, especially on a steel. the conveyor belt method is friggin perfect in my experience.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is everybody here using parchment just baking in conventional ovens? That stuff would be a no-go in a WFO. Parchment is only rated up to around 500F. My mind gets mixed up with contexts between here and places like Forno Bravo so I think I needlessly freak out when parchment comes up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is everybody here using parchment just baking in conventional ovens? That stuff would be a no-go in a WFO. Parchment is only rated up to around 500F. My mind gets mixed up with contexts between here and places like Forno Bravo so I think I needlessly freak out when parchment comes up.

When I've used parchment, I pull it after a minute or so in the oven. Don't know if I'm gonna get parchment cancer or not. Now I have one of those peels with a conveyer on it though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Get some pizza screens. The're like $5 each, and come in sizes from 10"-22". Build the pizza on it, toss the whole thing into the oven/on the stone, then after like 2 minutes, slide the pizza off onto the stone/steel if you are using one.

For those of you with WFOs, these will also work but you're going to probably just want to get a better peel, or get better at sliding the pizza off.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

but I can't imagine that you're getting the same kind of bottom crust quality as you would get without the paper, especially on a steel. the conveyor belt method is friggin perfect in my experience.

I warm up the stone for an hour at 350 F in my Samsung 9500 gas range and then run the broiler at high for 30 more minutes. The pizzas seem get plenty of scorch on the bottom. The paper turns to ash pretty much everywhere except below the pizza. Granted my stone is broken in and seasoned and I don't need to actually do this anymore, but I don't want a peel disaster/inferno either. I do sometimes just pull the paper after setting the pizza but usually don't bother.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I use parchment paper in a conventional oven. My oven says it's at 550, but I don't have an oven thermometer to confirm it. The parchment around the pizza turns black, but it doesn't catch fire, nor does it crumble to ash and get on the pizza.
I certainly won't say it's better, or even equal to, using an a real peel. But in a galley apartment kitchen with no space to store a peel, it's a very effective method.
I'm going to make a pizza later tonight. I'll post pics.

EDIT: Not the prettiest pizza I've ever made. Usually I let the oven heat longer and get more browning on the bottom. But it tasted good and it's sufficient to show my version of the parchment trick.
This is definitely not for the "wood fired oven, make it just like in Napoli, cook pizzas twice a week" crowd. It's for the "tiny apartment, normal oven, want pizza that's better than delivery" crowd.

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 6, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cook your pizza in a pan.

Problem solved

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Cook your pizza in a pan.

Problem solved

Anyone ever use parchment in a pan? It gets more and more difficult to get my pizzas out of my pans as they get older and more worn out, and I keep thinking about parchment to help out. I've tried more oil, less oil, poo poo just seems to stick like crazy more often as time goes by. I'm using pretty cheap coated steel pans that worked great for releasing when I first bought them. Haven't tried to use the cast iron yet, but that's on my list as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When using aluminium pans and oil I get sticking if I use way too little or I don't let it cook long enough. Too much oil just leaves some leftover in the pan. You could try to buff/smooth the surface, if they were non stick then replace.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Margherita from last night!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think my NY style pizza game is getting pretty good.

recipe:
King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour 100%
Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25%

Rise at room temp for 3 hours, then cold ferment for 6 days in the fridge.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 2, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I think my NY style pizza game is getting pretty good.

That's cool, what recipe are you using, and what are you doin for sauce?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stefan Prodan posted:

That's cool, what recipe are you using, and what are you doin for sauce?

Good call. Post was edited to include:

Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25%

It's pretty amazing how much it starts to rise after a few days in the fridge. I tried the same recipe with only 3 days CF and it wasn't nearly as good.

The sauce is just some Carmelina San Marzano whole tomatoes through a food mill, with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. With a 14 oz can of tomatoes, I use 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of oregano, 1/8 tsp of garlic powder, and a few twists from a pepper mill. If I remember to buy basil, I'll usually tear up a few pieces and stir them in, but I didn't have it on hand last night.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 2, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nwin posted:

Good call. Post was edited to include:

Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25%

It's pretty amazing how much it starts to rise after a few days in the fridge. I tried the same recipe with only 3 days CF and it wasn't nearly as good.

The sauce is just some Carmelina San Marzano whole tomatoes through a food mill, with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. With a 14 oz can of tomatoes, I use 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of oregano, 1/8 tsp of garlic powder, and a few twists from a pepper mill. If I remember to buy basil, I'll usually tear up a few pieces and stir them in, but I didn't have it on hand last night.

Looks like an awesome NY slice. What's your baking temp/time?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

Looks like an awesome NY slice. What's your baking temp/time?

Gas oven with gas broiler on top. Preheated a baking steel at 500 degrees for an hour and the steel registered at 520 degrees with an IR thermometer. I need to get a new external thermometer because the one I have had for ten years was saying 490.

Anyways, baked for 7:45 and then I turned the broiler on high until 8:30 when I pulled the pizza.

Next time I’ll try turning the broiler on at 7:15 instead, so I can get a little more browning on the cheese.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What's LDMP?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

[liquid] diastatic malt powder I assume

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How do you cook it so long without it drying out?

I feel like when I have to cook stuff for more than like 5 mins it always seems like the exterior is like really hard, I can't get like a soft exterior crust while having it also cook through sometimes

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 2, 2018

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Looks tasty, would chomp that slice. New York style is timeless.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

[liquid] diastatic malt powder I assume

Sorry, it’s actually just DMP. There’s normal diastatic (which I have) and then Low diastatic malt powder.

Regarding cook times, I’m not really sure. I was of the opinion that I needed to crank my oven way the gently caress up and cook it fast, but that’s not really true with NY style since most of the stores ovens only do 500-550, plus the steel does such a good job compared to the stone.

I had been doing 550 in the oven then cranking the broiler on to get the steel over 600 degrees, but it crisped the gently caress out of the bottom before the top had a chance to cook. My new method has been working much better. It doesn’t cook too much and the crust is amazing.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
olive oil, pecorino romano, prosciutto, fig jam, buffalo mozzarella, basil - fresh ricotta topped on after coming out of the oven.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Been a while since I made pizzas on the reg, and I've lost my mojo. Dough hasn't risen properly the last couple attempts. This never happened to me before :flaccid: I'm thinking either it's because I'm not used to eyeballing proportions (kitchen scale is broken, so I'm going by cup measure and feel) or I'm killing the yeast somehow. Also using a pizza stone now, not sure if that makes a difference.

I mixed 1 yeast cube in 1 cup lukewarm water, added to roughly 1 and a half cups flour, kneaded for about 10 minutes, adding about another cup of flour underway. Added 1 tsp of salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil towards the end.

Thoughts? Something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Does your yeast foam up and get really smelly? If not don't even proceed. Do you have a thermometer to make sure you're not killing it? Are you feeding it anything like a little sugar?