Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I randomly saw a Total station in southeast Virginia so they do apparently exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The home heating oil station in my hometown just north of Indy changed branding from Shell to Total last year. Must be trying to make inroads into the US market from multiple avenues.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Sounds like IndyCar is moving in a great direction for future engine development:

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018) - INDYCAR has landed a lead engineer from a championship-winning manufacturer as its new managing director of engine development.

Darren Sansum joins INDYCAR after a successful stint at Toyota Racing Development, which has won the past two manufacturer championships in NASCAR's Cup series.

Sansum brings considerable experience to INDYCAR, having also worked for Ford Motor Company, Cosworth Technology and Ilmor Engineering. At INDYCAR, Sansum will oversee engine development and competition between Honda and Chevrolet in the Verizon IndyCar Series effective Feb. 6.

In TRD's NASCAR program, Sansum's focus was engine reliability and over the past four seasons the failure rate of Toyota's engines was significantly reduced. Prior to that when he was with Ilmor and serving as Team Penske's NASCAR engine technical director from 2009-12, the team had zero engine failures in all of 2012 for its two Cup series cars, including the car for season champion Brad Keselowski. Sansum's ties to INDYCAR began in 2002 when he joined Ilmor as a development engineer.

In addition to supervising INDYCAR's current engine regulations, Sansum will play a key role in developing the next generation of engine regulations for the Verizon IndyCar Series. A key parameter in creating the next engine package will be making it attractive to new manufacturers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That purple :discourse:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like their number font.

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/959081805117870080

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Primary sponsorship for Dixie. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if it coincidentally Gives You Wings.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

Primary sponsorship for Dixie. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if it coincidentally Gives You Wings.

yeah, thats what im thinkin

people are guessing its Danica's ride but ehhhh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Could be both.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Posted here first

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

KingShibby posted:

Posted here first

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

Posted here first

That's not bad looking at all.

I'm sure Will Power also approves (and I mean it, he's really part of the big internal push for it).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Not too bad. Not far off what was common in the 80s to deal with buffeting.

Although, somebody needs to add the smoke tint to really make it look cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Posted here first

I like it. Especially when compared to the godawful halo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I think that article said Dixon was gonna be doing the testing for the screen soon, in a number of different lighting conditions to see how things work on track, and that it was made of the same material they produce fighter jet canopies with. Increasingly, I'm not really convinced a safety device like that is really needed, but if it's something simple like this I've got no issues, especially compared to F1's ridiculous halo.

I just watched the 2015 Fontana race and thought it was awesome. It was exciting the whole time, much of the field was competitive, and I've seen more wrecking with worse results at the Indy 500 in the last few years. But post-race they go to interview Will Power and Tim Cindric after they got knocked out of the race and it's all "What are we doing? What are we doing? Indycar said we'd never do pack racing again after Vegas..." blah blah blah. You see a couple incidents where you get the pinball effect going due to the tight racing, but I see that happen elsewhere as well. I know Power was in that crash with Wheldon and it probably tore him up a bit, leading to his aversion to pack racing, but I didn't really see anything egregious, hell even Karam ran strong there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If there's one driver really pushing for it, it's Power, especially because of Dan.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That aeroscreen looks quite nice. Hope it works out well in testing just to stick it to F1.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Reynold posted:

I think that article said Dixon was gonna be doing the testing for the screen soon, in a number of different lighting conditions to see how things work on track, and that it was made of the same material they produce fighter jet canopies with. Increasingly, I'm not really convinced a safety device like that is really needed, but if it's something simple like this I've got no issues, especially compared to F1's ridiculous halo.

I just watched the 2015 Fontana race and thought it was awesome. It was exciting the whole time, much of the field was competitive, and I've seen more wrecking with worse results at the Indy 500 in the last few years. But post-race they go to interview Will Power and Tim Cindric after they got knocked out of the race and it's all "What are we doing? What are we doing? Indycar said we'd never do pack racing again after Vegas..." blah blah blah. You see a couple incidents where you get the pinball effect going due to the tight racing, but I see that happen elsewhere as well. I know Power was in that crash with Wheldon and it probably tore him up a bit, leading to his aversion to pack racing, but I didn't really see anything egregious, hell even Karam ran strong there.

gently caress pack racing forever

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reynold posted:

pack racing in indycars is bad.

if you want a good california race, watch the 2013 season finale. it remains the best auto race i have ever watched, full stop. no pack racing involved.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Was it 2015 where Bourdais completely dominated the field somewhere? I need to rewatch that masterpiece.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2012 had the best speedway package imo. Indy 500 and Texas 500 were great, great races that year, and Fontana was really good too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate pack racing because it's so goddamn dangerous.

But I also love it, because it's loving entertaining.

That said, I would be happy to never see it again in Indy. What I would love to see, however, is more short tracks. And a much louder engine.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

FartingBedpost posted:

Was it 2015 where Bourdais completely dominated the field somewhere? I need to rewatch that masterpiece.

Milwaukee I think

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

U LIKE PAINT I GOT PAINT. Three cars and none of them are blue/white/red, its a miracle.

Bright sparkly colors rule. Rating: Good.

Hell yes, a black car again. Rating: Good.

A sponsor for Coyne and a face on the nose. Rating: Good.

In case you noticed that little Vasser Sullivan on the Dale Coyne sign, heres an article about it: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147207-vasser-sullivan-partner-with-dale-coyne-racing

e: how about a (unexciting) 4th

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 5, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Big fan of nose faces.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

A sponsor for Coyne and a face on the nose. Rating: Good.

In case you noticed that little Vasser Sullivan on the Dale Coyne sign, heres an article about it: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147207-vasser-sullivan-partner-with-dale-coyne-racing

Nose faces are the best.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is loving obnoxious and I love it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buzz Buzz.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fittipaldi back in the #19 at todays test too. Sounds like him and De Melo are going to split the car this year.

e: https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/960564640068464640

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

New Coyne car is awesome.

New Coyne logo is a brutal eyesore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TK

Leist

Power

Sipag

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's amazing how nice the cars look now without the sponsor blockers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

It's amazing how nice the cars look now without the sponsor blockers.

For sure. They also seem visually much smaller and lower to me without the bumpers/fins/airbox, despite being the exact same wheelbase, length, and width.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sounds like they are announcing a primary for Dixon tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/IndyMHull/status/960605703735074817

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"Has gravity"

What?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bentai posted:

"Has gravity"

What?

my guess is beer

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I'm guessing Monster or Red Bull, but Budweiser or something would be equally huge.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Reddit's already got the scoop, it's PNC Bank.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That's pretty dang good, honestly. Top 5 bank in the US with $16 billion in revenue, mostly consumer banking focused too. The scheme is a bit... underwhelming though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
blue and orange just looks so neutral and it's boring. The Conway car had the same problem