Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Hot drat Babylon Berlin is a pretty show :eyepop:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Popelmon posted:

Except for Kardokov's life.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Wheat Loaf posted:

How is the Fargo tv series compared to the movie? I like the movie a lot but I haven't seen the tv series.

Haven't seen season 1, though from what I've seen and read it seems to be the most superficially movie Fargo season of Fargo.
Season 2 is a wild ride through an absurdist landscape in 1979 Minnesota, complete with a guest appearance by Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan, and a discussion about Camus. It throws in thematic stuff from other Coen bros. films, along with its own unique twists. The soundtrack is absolutely killer.

Season 3 is both more and less Fargo. It's nowhere near as funny as 2, because it's purposefully bleak. At times it feels like the uncomfortable lovechild of Fargo, Blood Simple, Burn After Reading, and a really depressing longform article about late stage capitalism. It ramps up the absurdism almost to the point of nihilism, and denies easy closure.

The big constant is tremendous performances, and really strong cinematography, editing, and music choices. Bokeem Woodbine and Kirsten Dunst are the season 2 standouts, and David Thewlis and Mary Elizabeth Winstead rule season 3.

I was worried season 3 was going to be the end, but apparently Hawley has another idea, and we might see 4 in 2019.

Fargo aside, Altered Carbon owns so far. I'm afraid to go into the thread, because I know it'll be a shitshow. I just know it.
I heard bad things about Kinnaman, but he's fine - honestly I'd argue the way he portrays Kovacs grounds the show. The unexpected surprise (I haven't read the novel) is that there's a second protagonist, Ortega, and she's loving great. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spatula City posted:

Fargo aside, Altered Carbon owns so far. I'm afraid to go into the thread, because I know it'll be a shitshow. I just know it.
I heard bad things about Kinnaman, but he's fine - honestly I'd argue the way he portrays Kovacs grounds the show. The unexpected surprise (I haven't read the novel) is that there's a second protagonist, Ortega, and she's loving great. :allears:

The thread isn’t particularly shitshow-y. I agree about Kinnaman, he is exactly how I pictured Kovacs when I read Altered Carbon. Spot on casting, even if it led to some really undeserved accusations of whitewashing when it was announced.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spatula City posted:

Altered Carbon owns so far. I'm afraid to go into the thread, because I know it'll be a shitshow. I just know it.

The thread is fine.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Counterpart episode 3: that escalated quickly :stare:

This show is fantastic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tortolia posted:

Counterpart episode 3: that escalated quickly :stare:

This show is fantastic.

Yeah, Counterpart is really, really good.

We don't have a thread for it yet, do we? If not, I'll make one tonight.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Popelmon posted:

All I read about that show is that the women have hairy pits

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there an up-to-date website that tells you which shows on Netflix (and Amazon and Hulu* I guess) are in 4K and which are in HDR? I’m weighing the decision to get a 4K hdr tv in the next couple months, and I’m trying to determine just how much content is out there at this point, but Netflix doesn’t tell you unless you have a 4K/HDR account already.

*side note - what’s the deal with Hulu and 4K? From what I can discern, they don’t have any HDR offerings at the moment, and very few 4K offerings, but that doesn’t even matter because the only app that supports 4K is the Xbone app? Guess I shouldn’t be surprised since they STILL don’t even have 5.1 audio on their regular HD streams.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think even the console Hulu app stopped doing 4k when the new UI experience rolled out.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The balls on Netlfix re: the new Cloverfield. Brilliant.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there an up-to-date website that tells you which shows on Netflix (and Amazon and Hulu* I guess)

I use this for Netflix Australia
https://www.finder.com.au/netflix-content

It looks like an Australian based website but they have sections like this that might link to up to date information for the US version

https://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

The balls on Netlfix re: the new Cloverfield. Brilliant.

You mean the debut time or the quality?

Because it's kind of MEH so far.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just meant the ad drop/debut time.

Makes me sad you saying it's underwhelming. I loved the last one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You mean the debut time or the quality?

Because it's kind of MEH so far.

I'm only five minutes in, and I'm (sardonically) impressed with how the film is trying to pass off technobabble exposition as if it's emotional dramatic dialogue. The only reason the opening scene isn't complete garbage is Gugu Mbatha Raw being a bomb rear end actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last one was fantastic. This one is just sort of here so far.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmfriZoMw0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Love the use of Kanye there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought The Cloverfield Paradox was pretty dumb, but I'm the kind of person who wants at least a tiny bit of actual science in their science fiction. If you laugh at the first shot of their space station like I did, then this movie was probably not made for you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's dumb but I liked it a lot. It's an unabashed remix of several of my favorite films ever

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anyone else watching Waco? I think it's aired on the Paramount channel (formerly Spike), but it's pretty dang good so far.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Babylon Berlin is fantastic. I think it's on Netflix in the US?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dodge is taking some heat for putting an MLK speech in one of its Super Bowl ads

https://twitter.com/TheKingCenter/status/960328987955335174

He probably wouldn't have been down with it himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_v1h6Zoi-Q

I hate those ads where brands pretend to be woke and good citizens, do you think that Budweiser spent more on supplying water to disaster areas or on a SB commercial congratulating themselves for doing so?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wasn't it $100k of water? I think Superbowl airtime starts at 15 million, sooooo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

As much as I love when corporations misinterpret things and/or come off completely tone deaf, who even was the target audience for that ad? When I think of giant lovely american pickup truck buyers I don't tend to think of the type that would agree with Dr. King if you know what I mean.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

I use this for Netflix Australia
https://www.finder.com.au/netflix-content

It looks like an Australian based website but they have sections like this that might link to up to date information for the US version

https://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Unless I'm missing it, this doesn't seem to show me what's in 4K and what's in HDR? Also I just did an overall search for "Godless" to check it out and it came up with no results :confused:

I thought maybe InstantWatcher would have what I want, but it doesn't seem to be accurate. They do denote whether a movie is in "SuperHD" or "UltraHD", but I can't figure out on the site what those mean. Initially I thought "SuperHD" meant UHD and "UltraHD" meant HDR, but that doesn't seem to be the case since it lists Dirty Money as being in UltraHD (it's actually in UHD but not HDR) and it lists a ton of movies including Goodfellas as being SuperHD when it's actually only in HD.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 5, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

General rule of thumb.

If it's UHD and an Amazon original, it's probably HDR as well.

On Netflix, if it's a Marvel show or if it was released in the 2nd half of 2017, it's probably HDR (Travelers being a notable exception.)

If you are looking at movies, things are harder. There are very few Amazon Prime movies available in HDR. As far as movies to rent or own, the list is larger but not huge. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason if a 4k version has HDR or not.

On Netflix, basically unless it's a Netflix Original movie, it likely won't be in 4k or HDR. Studios, in general, seem very reluctant to make 4k HDR movies available for subscription streaming services.

This Netflix list appears to be current as of January, though I do see one mistake. Jessica Jones is available in HDR now. In some cases, like Stranger Things, not all the seasons are available in HDR (Stranger Things is only Season 2.)

http://4k.com/news/contentthe-full-list-of-all-4k-and-hdr-content-available-now-on-netflix-23127/

I will say, Altered Carbon looks amazing in Dolby Vision. When I was watching that, I was thinking to myself "How can ANY normal TV network compete with this in production values?" Even HBO is lagging behind when it comes to 4k and HDR when we know they are likely producing shows with it in mind (Westworld came out on UHD blu-ray).

Watching a well done show in 4k HDR on Netflix or Amazon makes cable TV look like rabbit ears on a black and white TV.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 5, 2018

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Even that list isn't accurate. It lists Marco Polo: One Hundred Eyes as being non-HDR (it's in Dolby Vision) and The Babysitter as being in HDR (it's in 4k but not in HDR).

It's a little strange to me with sites like Instant Watcher that scrape the data from Netflix that they don't have accurate info, but I guess it's still early in the life of 4K/HDR proliferation. I'm sure sites with the correct information will come eventually.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvv Yeah, Altered Carbon is the thing that finally pushed me over the edge to start looking into getting a 4K HDR TV. I watched one episode at work on the LG OLED and now that I've gotten a taste I can't go back. I CAN'T

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 5, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Altered Carbon looks loving amazing in 4K HDR. It doesn't have that garbage filter Marvel Netflix shows have. It's so good on my OLED.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does Netflix stream 4k through a browser? That's how I watch most stuff but I guess I could switch to the xboneS?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait until 4K OLED TVs come down in price to something I can realistically afford (ideally $500-$800ish). I just can't legitimize buying a 4K LED display when my current $300 55" 1080p one does the job just fine and there's comparatively little content available in 4K.

I wonder... is there even enough bandwidth in OTA channels to support 4K? From what I can tell the maximum output seems to be about 20Mbps, and Netflix recommends a 25Mbps connection. Not that network comedies or even most dramas NEED to be 4K, but 4K sports would be nice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a Claire Danes interview today and she says Carrie will go off her meds again in the new season of Homeland. Just great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

Does Netflix stream 4k through a browser? That's how I watch most stuff but I guess I could switch to the xboneS?

Only if you have a Kaby Lake processor or above and use the Edge browser.

lelandjs posted:

I can't wait until 4K OLED TVs come down in price to something I can realistically afford (ideally $500-$800ish). I just can't legitimize buying a 4K LED display when my current $300 55" 1080p one does the job just fine and there's comparatively little content available in 4K.

OLEDs are going to remain premium for at least another 5 years. There's still a ton of LCD options in that price range for that size that do a fantastic job now.

quote:

I wonder... is there even enough bandwidth in OTA channels to support 4K? From what I can tell the maximum output seems to be about 20Mbps, and Netflix recommends a 25Mbps connection. Not that network comedies or even most dramas NEED to be 4K, but 4K sports would be nice.

Yes with an asterisk.

The ATSC 3.0 specification allows for 28-36mbps on a 6mhz channel and using HEVC encoding that should be plenty. But once you factor in all the subchannels that stations want to carry, it gets a bit more muddled.

Also, adoption of ATSC 3.0 is voluntary in the US, so I don't expect stations to jump on it very fast or at all.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 5, 2018

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a Claire Danes interview today and she says Carrie will go off her meds again in the new season of Homeland. Just great.

Homeland is still on?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

lol that's a hard no then. But the xbox one S should right?

Popelmon posted:

Homeland is still on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

Yes, the One S should be able to do 4k HDR.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Worst case get a Roku.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Yes, the One S should be able to do 4k HDR.

Cool I'll set up Netflix on it then. It's gorgeous on UHD DVDs (Planet Earth 2, like literally everyone buys when they get a 4k tv).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

If you have an Nvidia 10 series card it doesn’t matter if you have a Kaby Lake. I have a GTX 1060 and I get 4K through Edge or the Microsoft Store’s Netflix app. You have to also have Windows 10 up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sadly I'm still on a 660 that has yet to die.