Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

No. Creatures only breed in the Alien containment and Cuddlefish don't breed at all.

Sorry yes I meant the containment, I keep forgetting the fishtank exists.

Ah well guess I'll just keep it in there then. I've got a spare if that one breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
Another day another ocean

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."
Thanks for the earlier advice about the mountain cave system for Lithium - it did indeed carry me through the endgame, which I finished the other night. My time capsule was a drill arm, a grapple arm, and a live cuddlefish.

I’m also a weenie that had a hard time using the cyclops in the LR (I somehow missed the multiple cameras). The Prawn is surprisingly versatile at that depth - there’s even a ramp of sorts up from the ILZ to the back of the cove tree area.

My only regret was that I spent a lot of time building a midway base at 900m or so, but didn’t end up having to use it very much. Still nice to look at. This game was a lot of fun, and didn’t overstay it’s welcome. Hooray!

edit: ps. did parts of this game remind anyone else of the Peter Watts book “Starfish”?

curious fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 5, 2018

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Is there a way to get the cuddlefish into the alien containment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Is there a way to get the cuddlefish into the alien containment?

How... else did you get one?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I need a little advice solving a little problem I'm having.

So I've reach the lava zone and I'm looking to mine some kyanite so can I upgrade my Cyclops and Prawn suit, but all the kyanite nodes I've encountered need the Prawn's drill arm to mine it, which normally wouldn't be a problem but all the kyanite nodes I've found are well past the Prawn's crush depth. Makes the whole situation a bit of a catch 22.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I found some that was barely above crush depth (like 20m or so) , the tunel to get there took some careful navigation too as it has a lot of part that are too deep.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Back Hack posted:

So I've reach the lava zone and I'm looking to mine some kyanite so can I upgrade my Cyclops and Prawn suit, but all the kyanite nodes I've encountered need the Prawn's drill arm to mine it, which normally wouldn't be a problem but all the kyanite nodes I've found are well past the Prawn's crush depth. Makes the whole situation a bit of a catch 22.

You need the first prawn depth upgrade that brings it from 900 to 1300, it doesn't need kyanite, just nickel you find in lost river. 1300 should be enough to reach some kyanite

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 5, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Back Hack posted:

As someone already said, craft the first depth upgrade first since it doesn't need kyanite.

However, because I'm a dumb I didn't realize this either, so I took my Prawn below crush depth to find some kyanite. I managed to drill one whole deposit and still get back into the Cyclops before the suit was destroyed, although its health went from 100% to around 20% just from the time it took to complete the drilling.

On the positive side, with the kyanite I got I could craft the Mk1 and Mk2 depth upgrades in one go once I got back to my base.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I think armor upgrades also help with drilling below crush depth - gives you more leeway to repair at least I think.

Also there is some kyanite a little further down in the lava castle that doesn't need a Prawn drill.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also anyone manage to repair the prawn from inside the Cyclops bay? It seemed super obvious that I should be able to but I couldn't find an angle that worked.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Have you tried from the hold?
I have the repair upgrade in the cyclop so never really had to manually do it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

xiw posted:

Also anyone manage to repair the prawn from inside the Cyclops bay? It seemed super obvious that I should be able to but I couldn't find an angle that worked.

Not even from underneath?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i was excited when i finally built my cyclops but then i realized i don't and can't seem to find power cell recharge fragments and that stupid monster eats power like crazy even with efficiency upgrade. Not fun doing the seamoth solar recharge/prawn moonpool shuffle to charge two dozen cells.

I've searched the entire jelly caves and mushroom fields and can't find poo poo. my end of the mushroom field base can't find any data fragments either with its scanner

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have found the cyclops... doesnt really drain power all that much? I have been using it a lot and I am still on the original power cells, even though I have so much copper I made two whole backup sets of power cells. rechargers would really just be a convenience, its not like it takes long to refill the thing from gathering, esp. with a scanner room.

I DO try to do all my crafting in various bases though and mostly use the cyclops as a mobile supply warehouse (it contains something like 24 wall lockers in the first room alone right now).

I thought I would hate it after the changes but even though the fire for going to fast thing is dumb as heck I still love being able to scavenge for stuff and have the endless storage of the cyclops to stuff it into.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If you have the automatic fire suppression, can you go full speed forever?

Power cell charger blueprint are found inside mid-depth wrecks, I found some in the area with bright blue bulbs, in the north of mushrooms area

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the collision doesn't really work for the prawn when docked. It used to be that it didn't for the seamoth either but they seem to have fixed that, just not for the prawn.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think the collision doesn't really work for the prawn when docked. It used to be that it didn't for the seamoth either but they seem to have fixed that, just not for the prawn.

i've jumped through my seamoth a lot, i think it's just flat turned off or does not exist from the bottom. One of my beefs with the moonpool is that it doesn't seem possible to access prawn upgrades from it and changing out batteries still requires jumping in, although in theory that isn't problematic given that the pool recharges (it is if you dont have the cell charger though)

GlyphGryph posted:

I have found the cyclops... doesnt really drain power all that much? I have been using it a lot and I am still on the original power cells, even though I have so much copper I made two whole backup sets of power cells. rechargers would really just be a convenience, its not like it takes long to refill the thing from gathering, esp. with a scanner room.

I DO try to do all my crafting in various bases though and mostly use the cyclops as a mobile supply warehouse (it contains something like 24 wall lockers in the first room alone right now).

I thought I would hate it after the changes but even though the fire for going to fast thing is dumb as heck I still love being able to scavenge for stuff and have the endless storage of the cyclops to stuff it into.

i dunno the drat thing was burning it fast and i never installed anything like fabricator or medkit or anything else. All i have is a growbed. To go from my mushroom/bulb base to the nearest lost river entrance was like 30% power loss (It is about 900M away). Really it's one of the things preventing me from setting a much deeper base up. I even went through the trouble of stocking the cyclops up with enough materials to set a self sufficient base up at any location

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sloober posted:

i've jumped through my seamoth a lot, i think it's just flat turned off or does not exist from the bottom. One of my beefs with the moonpool is that it doesn't seem possible to access prawn upgrades from it and changing out batteries still requires jumping in, although in theory that isn't problematic given that the pool recharges (it is if you dont have the cell charger though)

Yeah they made the seamoth accessible at least but the prawn just doesn't work when docked, kind of annoying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wow, like I said I have been driving it around for a while and I have only used up like thirty percent TOTAL.

Are you using silent running or pinging the radar or always being in max gear or i dunno, always having the outdoor lights on?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, like I said I have been driving it around for a while and I have only used up like thirty percent TOTAL.

Are you using silent running or pinging the radar or always being in max gear or i dunno, always having the outdoor lights on?

Nope

the lights also don't use power since you can turn the engine off and leave all the lights on with zero power loss

probably just gonna say gently caress it and setup in deep lost river, i can't advance without getting kyanite or nickle at this point

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 5, 2018

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Silent running, sonar and shield burn trough battery very fast, other than that you can probably go through the map north to south like 5 time before running out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Krogort posted:

Silent running, sonar and shield burn trough battery very fast, other than that you can probably go through the map north to south like 5 time before running out.

i'm not using any of those. Sonar is an on for one ping then off again thing when i need it

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Enzenx posted:

In my experience it only requires a ton of babysitting if you use fruits to power it since they have pretty poo poo energy density values.

This is from a couple pages back, but I used to hate having to feed the biogenerator until I discovered the insane energy density of gelsacks. Now I pack my generators full of them and let the water purifier do its thing. It's trivialized power generation as a challenge at this point in the game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

You need the first prawn depth upgrade that brings it from 900 to 1300, it doesn't need kyanite, just nickel you find in lost river. 1300 should be enough to reach some kyanite

Well now I feel stupid, because I thought I had the upgrade already. Thanks anyway. :v:

E: Also, gently caress you lava leeches, get off my ship!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

Well now I feel stupid, because I thought I had the upgrade already. Thanks anyway. :v:

E: Also, gently caress you lava leeches, get off my ship!

The shield upgrade is really useful for that. Peels em right off in one go.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Are these wrecks supposed to be found randomly, or is something supposed to point me towards them. I’m about 3 hours in and haven’t found any. I did find the mountain island after being pointed there

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Prawn is a sitting duck for Warpers, while the Cyclops is completely immune to them. Given how many entrances/exits to the Lost River require you to navigate terrain that's unfavorable to the Prawn while Warpers are present, and how exposed the terrain around the lava castle is, giving Warpers easy line of sight on you, taking the Cyclops will save you a ton of hassle.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The sea Dragon is a belligerent rear end in a top hat and too goofy looking to be as primally scary as the other two. He bitchslapped me lol

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Are these wrecks supposed to be found randomly, or is something supposed to point me towards them. I’m about 3 hours in and haven’t found any. I did find the mountain island after being pointed there

Are you sure you haven't passed one without realizing it? They look like big chunks of the aurora that have broken off and settled on the sea floor. I'm pretty sure there are several within a 300 meter radius of the lifepod. Just be aware that to fully explore one often requires a laser cutter and sometimes a repair tool.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Funso Banjo posted:

Nothing ever directs you to wrecks. You have to find them (or scan for them w/the scanner room)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Just got the game and was really enjoying this relaxing alien ocean scuba simulator when a reaper by the Aurora ate my seamoth and about made me poo poo myself.

So this game is awesome. Still - I have the ability to make scanners, and submarines, and mech diving suits and a 2D map is beyond our technology? I know its encouraging me to explore, but I am hating trying to navigate with only beacons.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
One thing that really irritates me about wrecks are the false doors that can't be opened by any means. Very confusing for a new player to encounter their first wreck, bust out the shiney new laser cutter, and... Nothing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Typical Pubbie posted:

One thing that really irritates me about wrecks are the false doors that can't be opened by any means. Very confusing for a new player to encounter their first wreck, bust out the shiney new laser cutter, and... Nothing.

Fragments are still very much a case of RNJesus, even if you've played the game a dozen times and have a wiki open in your lap for all the wreck locations and more.

I've been quite lucky this run. Found two laser cutter fragments in short order then never saw any again for hours and hours. But I still see reminders of what could of been. Like last night, when I cut open a door with my laser cutter, and see three laser cutter fragments inside the sealed room.

"...But they told me they fixed that..." Scuba dude sighed as he drew his thermal blade.

Typical Pubbie posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but I used to hate having to feed the biogenerator until I discovered the insane energy density of gelsacks. Now I pack my generators full of them and let the water purifier do its thing. It's trivialized power generation as a challenge at this point in the game.
Ah cool, did they buff gelsack energy values? I'm used to ignoring them as fuel because even peepers are worth 750 energy, and I like free fish in my outposts anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddarn, game glitched out just after I found a time capsule with ion batteries in the mountains area. (stopped loading areas so I was floating in a featureless void and refused to save/load). I'm never finding that thing again.

Back in early access I stumbled upon a terrain northish (?) of the aurora that was black and barren - not the dunes but terrain with obsidian, dark texture. I have no idea if this ever became an interesting area but I'd like to know. It felt like it'd become an underwater crater or something similar.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Typical Pubbie posted:

They're very distinct from the openable or laserable doors though.

double nine posted:

Back in early access I stumbled upon a terrain northish (?) of the aurora that was black and barren - not the dunes but terrain with obsidian, dark texture. I have no idea if this ever became an interesting area but I'd like to know. It felt like it'd become an underwater crater or something similar.

Like this?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

double nine posted:

goddarn, game glitched out just after I found a time capsule with ion batteries in the mountains area. (stopped loading areas so I was floating in a featureless void and refused to save/load). I'm never finding that thing again.

It's a giant lava tube. They made it lead to an end-game area that has multiple openings. If you're trying to find it again, go to aurora's front damaged section and follow the direction the aurora is pointing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Section Z posted:

Ah cool, did they buff gelsack energy values? I'm used to ignoring them as fuel because even peepers are worth 750 energy, and I like free fish in my outposts anyways.

Nah, peepers give much more. Gelsacks are a weird strat I blundered into but it works so well I'm drowning in sacks from one external plant bed and never have to worry about power.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Magus42 posted:

They're very distinct from the openable or laserable doors though.

That's true, but the openable doors are usually hidden while the fake doors face outside. So for the first couple hours I just assumed wrecks couldn't be opened until I moved close enough to a real door for the game to prompt me.

Its a minor problem, but for a game as tactile as this it feels wrong to have phony doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Nah, peepers give much more. Gelsacks are a weird strat I blundered into but it works so well I'm drowning in sacks from one external plant bed and never have to worry about power.

i usually just throw bulb bush cuttings in but my one bioreactor is a supplemental reactor to some thermals i have