Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've also had that happen. I hadn't posted about it yet because I've been playing a lot of video games and haven't been posting much the last week or so :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

OSX - Firefox 57.0.4

The minimize and close buttons for the quick reply don't work for me. No way to dismiss the window.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Here's an interesting bug probably related to scaling (look just below "The Finer Arts"):

Windows 10 - FF 57.0.4
I have scaling set at 250%

There's similar weirdness happening to the space below all the headings in the menu--either a duplicated subforum name or just a black bar.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Welp, looks like Mozilla found issue with the extension and have disabled on versions for now. That's an unfortunate setback.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Welp, looks like Mozilla found issue with the extension and have disabled on versions for now. That's an unfortunate setback.

Er, what?

You mean they pulled it off their extension store thing? Or can they somehow disable extensions you already have?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Er, what?

You mean they pulled it off their extension store thing? Or can they somehow disable extensions you already have?

Yes, it was pulled, mostly for BS reasons (couple of legitimate ones, though - some minified code and an older version of jQuery). We'll get it worked out.

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

e: You can track progress in this issue: https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-redux/issues/70

astral fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 24, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Okay I fixed some stuff and bumped the jquery version with jquery migrate so :siren:some other stuff might have broken:siren:, but I pushed a build (v2.1.8.13a9) with all that through the mozilla review process. It just got approved so hopefully that means we're good to go now on that front. The jQuery version used now is actually too new to have its hash in their system so hopefully if it gets looked at again the reviewer sees that.

Something potentially broken is better than nothing, after all. If you see something acting weird, please let me know either here, my fork repo where I can figure out if it's a result of the jQuery update or an underlying bug in SALR Redux, or feel free to visit us on IRC channel #salr on SynIRC.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux?src=external-salrthread

Also fixes youtube link pasting into quick reply (and adds img tags around pasted image links)

edit: Found some unrelated broken stuff:
known: Layout of setting restore stuff in settings, unrelated to jquery, fixed for next build
known: related to an unrelated bug from before; left clicking an entry in the popup menu opens the link in both the current and a new tab. Fixed for next version.

edit again: Releasing 2.1.8.13a10 to fix the above; that button one was obnoxious

other known issue: found an unrelated notes bug; if you set a note on someone who didn't have a note before, then click "Edit Note" again, it doesn't populate with their new note info. Once they already have a note it works as expected. Will look into this later since it's unrelated.

astral fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 2, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Okay I fixed some stuff and bumped the jquery version with jquery migrate so :siren:some other stuff might have broken:siren:, but I pushed a build (v2.1.8.13a9) with all that through the mozilla review process. It just got approved so hopefully that means we're good to go now on that front. The jQuery version used now is actually too new to have its hash in their system so hopefully if it gets looked at again the reviewer sees that.

Something potentially broken is better than nothing, after all. If you see something acting weird, please let me know either here, my fork repo where I can figure out if it's a result of the jQuery update or an underlying bug in SALR Redux, or feel free to visit us on IRC channel #salr on SynIRC.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux

known: Layout of setting restore stuff in settings, unrelated to jquery, fixed for next build
known: related to an unrelated bug from before; left clicking an entry in the popup menu opens the link in both the current and a new tab. Fixed for next version.

edit again: Releasing 2.1.8.13a10 to fix the above; that button one was obnoxious

other known issue: found an unrelated notes bug; if you set a note on someone who didn't have a note before, then click "Edit Note" again, it doesn't populate with their new note info. Once they already have a note it works as expected. Will look into this later since it's unrelated.

Cheers for the update notifications. I never remember to check until I see the note here.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux

Also fixes youtube link pasting into quick reply (and adds img tags around pasted image links)

Noticed a bug. The "next page" button in the navigator in the corner always has the ability to go to the next page even if you're on the last page (i.e. the button doesn't gray out if you're on the last page)

Thanks for your work on this!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Noticed a bug. The "next page" button in the navigator in the corner always has the ability to go to the next page even if you're on the last page (i.e. the button doesn't gray out if you're on the last page)

Thanks for your work on this!

I'm unable to reproduce this (running a10 on Nightly and it's properly dimming things) - is this happening in every thread, or only some specific one(s)?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found yet another pair of bugs:

ctrl+q, which used to be the shortcut for inserting quote tags is not working

"blank" quote tags, as in ones that are simply (quote)(/quote), without any link to a post or poster, do not get parsed in the live preview, even if there are words between the tags themselves.

e:

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 24, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

I'm unable to reproduce this (running a10 on Nightly and it's properly dimming things) - is this happening in every thread, or only some specific one(s)?

Huh, it looks like I can't reproduce it either. May have been just a weird hiccup from upgrading to the new version.

I originally noticed it in this thread right after I upgraded.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

Found yet another pair of bugs:

ctrl+q, which used to be the shortcut for inserting quote tags is not working

'used to' = 'Legacy SALR did' and it looks like the full reply page does too. It should be okay to add this to Redux.

quote:

"blank" quote tags, as in ones that are simply (quote)(/quote), without any link to a post or poster, do not get parsed in the live preview, even if there are words between the tags themselves.

e:

Will add that to the list to look into later. If worse comes to worst, I might propose that we use the same XBBCode parser that Legacy SALR used since that one was pretty solid.

axeil posted:

Huh, it looks like I can't reproduce it either. May have been just a weird hiccup from upgrading to the new version.

I originally noticed it in this thread right after I upgraded.

Yeah pages will break in new and exciting ways upon SALR Redux upgrade until they get a refresh. Known issue, sadly, and it's a big part of why I call the Firefox releases alphas.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Bug report: The Configure SALR option sometimes shows up twice at the bottom of some threads, but not in others.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Bug report: The Configure SALR option sometimes shows up twice at the bottom of some threads, but not in others.

most likely you (or your browser) updated the extension and the page hasn't been reloaded since; reload the page and if it still shows two then it's a bug

astral fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unless it auto-updates the extension now, I haven't updated it yet. I was about to say I thought it was related to my opening multiple thread tabs one after the other

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Unless it auto-updates the extension now, I haven't updated it yet. I was about to say I thought it was related to my opening multiple tabs one after the other

Firefox auto-updates extensions every so often. Latest version was 2.1.8.13a10 last night which I released a couple hours after a9, so if you manually upgraded to a9 that's probably what happened

---

sidenote: good amount of fixes and changes are queued up for the next alpha version in the next few days! so far we have: Plat grenade hiding option made a bit more efficient (and no longer requires maintenance for special cases), added ctrl+q hotkey for adding quote tags to quick reply, load new posts with last post button no longer breaking on page 1)

edit: just about done with the bbcode/smilie insertion improvements too (when no selection, it inserts at the caret instead of the end; when there is a selection, it inserts around the selection and then moves the caret to the end of the selection instead of the end; clicking bbcodes/smilies or their menu button keeps the text area focused so you can see where you'd be adding stuff; clicking bbcodes/smilies updates the preview pane if it's open)

astral fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 25, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Firefox auto-updates extensions every so often. Latest version was 2.1.8.13a10 last night which I released a couple hours after a9, so if you manually upgraded to a9 that's probably what happened

---

sidenote: good amount of fixes and changes are queued up for the next alpha version in the next few days! so far we have: Plat grenade hiding option made a bit more efficient (and no longer requires maintenance for special cases), added ctrl+q hotkey for adding quote tags to quick reply, load new posts with last post button no longer breaking on page 1)

edit: just about done with the bbcode/smilie insertion improvements too (when no selection, it inserts at the caret instead of the end; when there is a selection, it inserts around the selection and then moves the caret to the end of the selection instead of the end; clicking bbcodes/smilies or their menu button keeps the text area focused so you can see where you'd be adding stuff; clicking bbcodes/smilies updates the preview pane if it's open)

Sounds nice, especially the BBCode/Smiley changes. :bravo:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
New bug: highlighting when people quote you doesn't work in YOSPOS.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

New bug: highlighting when people quote you doesn't work in YOSPOS.

Will look into it, thanks for the report.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 26, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
This page - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837056&userid=220413#post480004062 - Was making Firefox throw the This extension (SALR) is making Firefox run slowly error, with the prompt to Wait, Temporarily disable and such.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Samizdata posted:

This page - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837056&userid=220413#post480004062 - Was making Firefox throw the This extension (SALR) is making Firefox run slowly error, with the prompt to Wait, Temporarily disable and such.

Can you PM me your config string (configure salr -> click the grenade at the top -> paste everything from there up til (not including) your user notes)? I can't replicate the error, but I suspect it's related to the sheer volume of quotes in the linked page

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a11 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Plat grenade hiding option is more efficient and no longer has hilarious side-effects on my and probably some others' posts (see OP for example of what it looked like)
  • Added ctrl+q hotkey for adding quote tags to quick reply
  • Fix: load new posts with last post button no longer breaking on page 1
  • BBcode/smilie insertion improvements (when nothing is selected, it inserts the tag/smilie at the text cursor instead of the end; clicking bbcodes/smilies or their menu button keeps the text area focused so you can see where you'd be adding stuff; clicking bbcodes/smilies updates the preview pane if it's open)
  • Single post view link improvements (no longer added in archives where the links won't work; 'back to thread' link added if you're in single post view instead of a link to the same single post view)

quote:

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least version 2.1.8.13a5 of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/
    Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered alpha quality.
    If you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings.

astral fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 2, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Can you PM me your config string (configure salr -> click the grenade at the top -> paste everything from there up til (not including) your user notes)? I can't replicate the error, but I suspect it's related to the sheer volume of quotes in the linked page

Done and done.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It would be nice if you could bring back the arrow on the Quote / Reply buttons if you have quick reply enabled. Sometimes I would like to use the normal reply functionality and I'm not sure how to activate it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

It would be nice if you could bring back the arrow on the Quote / Reply buttons if you have quick reply enabled. Sometimes I would like to use the normal reply functionality and I'm not sure how to activate it.

The best way for now is just to hit Preview Reply once the quick reply pane is open. Eventually I'd like to add an option to include a link to the full reply page like Legacy SALR had.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
User note background color doesn't work when someone quotes them or when they're the starter/killer of a thread.

Those are both killer features of SALR, with as many gimmicks and "ironic" x-ists we have here it was really a good way to mark them.

I'mgoing to probably keep using SALR on waterfox for the time being because of how bad firefox is without extensions to fix it's rough edges. 18 years and counting and they still haven't fixed the ctrl-q landmine sitting between ctrl-tab and ctrl-w. There USED to be multiple addons to fix it. Now you have to write a program for your OS to intercept ctrl-Q, examine the active window, and decide if it should be passed through or not. Thanks for this, though! It's great to have on my secondary browser.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

User note background color doesn't work when someone quotes them

Known and intented to work that way currently, but it's a planned improvement.

quote:

or when they're the starter/killer of a thread.

A bug that will be fixed!

quote:

Those are both killer features of SALR, with as many gimmicks and "ironic" x-ists we have here it was really a good way to mark them.

I'mgoing to probably keep using SALR on waterfox for the time being because of how bad firefox is without extensions to fix it's rough edges. 18 years and counting and they still haven't fixed the ctrl-q landmine sitting between ctrl-tab and ctrl-w. There USED to be multiple addons to fix it. Now you have to write a program for your OS to intercept ctrl-Q, examine the active window, and decide if it should be passed through or not. Thanks for this, though! It's great to have on my secondary browser.

Condolences; I'm still using 52 ESR as my main browser until at least after SALR Redux gets changed to use storage.local instead of the vulnerable localStorage. Users found out that clearing your browser history clears SALR Redux's data, which stinks. Also fun, if you have cookies disabled as your primary setting with per-site overrides, extensions can't use localStorage at all, which means SALR Redux can't operate.

Once that gets fixed though, the user note coloring can be properly harmonized with the rest of the post coloring, and that's about when SALR Redux will be officially out of alpha-quality status.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How to I use SALR to browse YOSPOS with the regular forums theme?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

buglord posted:

How to I use SALR to browse YOSPOS with the regular forums theme?

ehhhh, if you'd want to do that, you should probably just adblock filter 219.css

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bug and suggestion for the Imgur uploader:

Bug:
When clicking on the "drag an image here" text, it opens up a file picker window. Selecting a file does nothing, nor does dragging the image from that window. If you drag it from a explorer.exe window, it works.

Suggestion:
Checkbox for "insert as timg", so that when the upload finishes, it uses timg tags instead if img tags.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

Bug and suggestion for the Imgur uploader:

Bug:
When clicking on the "drag an image here" text, it opens up a file picker window. Selecting a file does nothing, nor does dragging the image from that window. If you drag it from a explorer.exe window, it works.

Thanks for the report, will fix.

quote:

Suggestion:
Checkbox for "insert as timg", so that when the upload finishes, it uses timg tags instead if img tags.

Yeah, there can be eventual improvements if people still want to use timgs. Out of curiosity what's the use case now that the forums shrink oversized images (that aren't too tall compared to their width, anyway)?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Thanks for the report, will fix.

Yeah, there can be eventual improvements if people still want to use timgs. Out of curiosity what's the use case now that the forums shrink oversized images (that aren't too tall compared to their width, anyway)?

Well, as I said earlier, I prefer to be safe rather than pull a probie for table murder. Besides, we are REALLY trusting the forums code?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I use timg when image dumping something, e.g. a bunch of photos of my birds or whatever. Lets me put several large pictures on a single little line, and people who want to see them can enlarge and otherwise they can just scroll past quickly. Or when I want to display an image that's better to have inline, but is still secondary to the text.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of the threads I follow in PYF requires all images to be timg, which is where I was thinking it was useful.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sounds fair. I'd like to have it be as unobtrusive as possible, so how does this sound:
A checkbox would be added just below the drop zone, defaulting to unchecked, that says "[ ] Thumbnail image" or something.

P.S. Hooked up the invisible click-that-text-to-open-the-file-picker button to actually work. I'll be tweaking the UI to indicate you can do that, too. Will be in the next alpha version.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Serfer posted:

ehhhh, if you'd want to do that, you should probably just adblock filter 219.css

Sorry but i'm gonna need this spelled out :saddowns:

How would I go about adding this to uBlock Origin?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Sounds fair. I'd like to have it be as unobtrusive as possible, so how does this sound:
A checkbox would be added just below the drop zone, defaulting to unchecked, that says "[ ] Thumbnail image" or something.

P.S. Hooked up the invisible click-that-text-to-open-the-file-picker button to actually work. I'll be tweaking the UI to indicate you can do that, too. Will be in the next alpha version.

Lovely. Cheers!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Lovely. Cheers!

It's done (for the next alpha version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

buglord posted:

Sorry but i'm gonna need this spelled out :saddowns:

How would I go about adding this to uBlock Origin?

Open the dashboard, go to my filters, and add forums.somethingawful.com/css/219.css