Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Echo Night Beyond Longplay Playlist

Ghost Memos:

Update 1: SW-W105, Claudia Selfer, Dudley Tungsten,
?????? (Male), Nikolai Ivanov, ?????? (Male),
Marcel Aron, Carol Aron

Update 2: Carol Aron, Marcel Aron. Nikolai Ivanov,?????? (Male)

Update 3: ?????? (Female), Katarina Pollucs, Katrina Pollucs,
Jacob Pollucs

Update 4: Biggs Covellin, Ali Covellin, Victor Nickel,
Oliver Molibden, ??????(Male)

Update 5: ??????(Male), Nathan Gold, Nick Getchell,
Nancy Spinel

Update 6: Paolo Dato, Igor Hinggan, ??????(Male),
Dan Bertrand, Martin Hirkimer, Norman Spinel

Update 7: Natalia Riskaya, Licia Turner, Ruthie,
Alan Coleman, Igor Hinggan, Dimitri Euxen,
Khristina Pegma, Sergei Descloizo

Update 8: Clark Brogan, Henry Polybas, Kenneth Livingston,
Nathan Gold, Alan Coleman, Natalia Riskaya,
Nick Getchell, Nancy Spinel, Geoffrey Amblygo,
Cayla Conichalco

When you think of great sequels in long running horror franchises you might think of Hellraiser: Bloodlines, Jason X, Leprechaun 4, ummmm Critters 4. Well what do all those sequels have in common? It's that they were all great and that they all went to the final destination of any great series...outer space. And that's exactly where FromSoftware decided to head in the third, and final, installment of their mostly overlooked ghost adventure series in Echo Night Beyond.

Released in 2004 as the only installment of the series for the PS2, Echo Night Beyond was not met with much critical or commercial success for a number of reasons. As the second game never saw release outside of Japan and the first game was a bit of an oddity being a romantic horror adventure game for the PS1, it seemed to be an inevitability that Beyond was going to be mostly overlooked. There was also the fact that if a player is unfamiliar with the series, they probably wouldn't understand a game that has no combat and is just walking around helping out ghosts. Which is a shame; I've always felt the Echo Night series was an interesting approach to an adventure game mixing very dark elements with romance and intrigue and an overarching mythos regarding a cursed stone. And also this entry took advantage of the increased technology of the PS2 to make a longer, better looking, and more involved game while keeping to it's roots.

But that's why hopefully you'll join me on this lunar journey to find a missing fiance and uncover the mysteries of the moon, and please remember NO SPOILERS.

And if you never caught previous games, you're in luck:
https://lparchive.org/Echo-Night/
https://lparchive.org/Echo-Night-The-Lord-of-Nightmares/

Also if you enjoyed my Fatal Frame LP's, then you'll be happy to know I went back and finished up Fatal Frame 4; if you want to watch that as well it's here: :siren: Fatal Frame 4 Playlist :siren:

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hey, big ups to my future wife for getting me this game as a birthday present and for lending me her PS2. Here's to hoping she never gets lost on the moon; that would break my heart.

And here's the full text for what I didn't show in this update: Monthly Report pg.1, Monthly Report pg.2, Monthly Report pg.3, Monthly Report pg.4

Updated ghost info
SW-W105
Claudia Selfer
Dudley Tungsten
?????? (Male)
Nikolai Ivanov
?????? (Male)
Marcel Aron
Carol Aron

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 9, 2018

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Heck yeah, been waiting for this.

I wonder if they will tie this to the other games, astral pieces, red stone, extra dimensional merchant who may be satan. I should probably go back and re-watch lord of nightmare to jog my memory.

I'm glad Fromsoft kept this as an adventure game and didn't turn it into something more action shclock.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know I've always wondered how the hearts of horror protagonists always seemed to know what was dangerous before the brain did :v:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

Heck yeah, been waiting for this.

I wonder if they will tie this to the other games, astral pieces, red stone, extra dimensional merchant who may be satan. I should probably go back and re-watch lord of nightmare to jog my memory.

I'm glad Fromsoft kept this as an adventure game and didn't turn it into something more action shclock.
Well there are a couple things that connect all the games right off the bat, the first being Richard Osmond (the protagonist) who hasn't been fully mentioned yet in the game but his name is in the manual:

There's also the fact that in the previous two games that Richard had some close connection with a female character who's name started with a C; Crea (which I believe was some weird mistranslation?) in the first game, Christina in the second, and now Claudia in the third. And there's also the tenuous connection between the excavation that uncovered the stone in the second game and the mining in the third, but all we know currently regarding that is that it seems to have unleashed the strange fog around the facility. So there's at least those connections.

And yeah, I do appreciate that From didn't kept to their weird guns and kept making things like Armored Core and King's Field even when they weren't really popular genres.

Kibayasu posted:

You know I've always wondered how the hearts of horror protagonists always seemed to know what was dangerous before the brain did :v:
Ya gotta let your heart be your guide.

But I actually do enjoy the heart/BPM as a means to measure health. It explains health regen in a somewhat reasonable fashion but also allows a somewhat clear means of 'health' measurement (at least compared to the basic measurements of the previous games).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's like John Carpenter's 'The Fog' but less pirate ghosts and more ghost babies.

Updated ghost info
Carol Aron
Marcel Aron
Nikolai Ivanov
?????? (Male)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Really glad to see this, thanks! I love this game, I just never finished it due to being a scardey cat kid.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

azren posted:

Really glad to see this, thanks! I love this game, I just never finished it due to being a scardey cat kid.
Well here's to hoping I do a good enough job showing it off.

So it's time to start in earnest in exploring the first basement floor of the lunar facility; the problem is that we're still having some issues with children. Seriously, why did someone decide it was such a great idea to bring this many kids to the moon?

Updated ghost info
?????? (Female)
Katarina Pollucs
Katrina Pollucs
Jacob Pollucs

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't remember, is it possible to show the photo of Claudia to other ghosts besides Nikolai? It seems like it would make part of some conversations make more sense.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

azren posted:

I don't remember, is it possible to show the photo of Claudia to other ghosts besides Nikolai? It seems like it would make part of some conversations make more sense.
I feel like I tried it a few times, but usually it just comes back with "Nothing happened". I will keep trying though cause it would make sense that some of these ghosts might have more info if we reminded them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Oh hell I missed this thread too. Been enjoying the videos though! Despite being an atmospheric horror game, EN feels less spooky and more Mystish.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh hell I missed this thread too. Been enjoying the videos though! Despite being an atmospheric horror game, EN feels less spooky and more Mystish.
Yeah, it's definitely an adventure game at it's core but with a horror setting dabbled in the background. But I still have to give kudos for FromSoftware being able to wear so many different hats when it came to making games, especially games with unsettling settings. They've got more straight forward horror in Kuon, they've made unsettling action RPG's like the King's Field and Dark Souls/Bloodborne series, and then they've got however you'd define the horror of Echo Night (which for some reason brings to mind gothic horror with it's ghosts and romantic pathos).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, the mood is less dreadful but quite brooding. Gothic is a good descriptor despite the visual aesthetics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's been said before about a lot of other games but there really is something about the limitations of PS1/PS2 hardware that really helped bring out tension, something akin to horror movies on VHS tapes. If you let yourself get into the atmosphere not being able to make quite everything out is just that much scarier.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hell yeah, more Echo Night!

discworld is all I read posted:

Also if you enjoyed my Fatal Frame LP's, then you'll be happy to know I went back and finished up Fatal Frame 4; if you want to watch that as well it's here: :siren: Fatal Frame 4 Playlist :siren:

Fantastic! I always wanted to know what happened to Flashlight Cop.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Fantastic! I always wanted to know what happened to Flashlight Cop.
He continues being a hunk and a half. I'm a bit bummed that I was worried about making a new thread for it on here, but I just kinda pooped them out with my Christmas vacation and it seemed like it'd end up being a dump. I do hope people can enjoy it though and then they can enjoy this final installment of Echo Night.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Things get a whole lot more dangerous as we press further into the first basement floor, but that should be fine. I mean, we are protected by a reasonably sized collection of chocolate coins....I'm sure they'll be of great assistance against the murder ghosts.

Update Ghost Info
Biggs Covellin
Ali Covellin
Victor Nickel
Oliver Molibden
??????(Male)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

He continues being a hunk and a half. I'm a bit bummed that I was worried about making a new thread for it on here, but I just kinda pooped them out with my Christmas vacation and it seemed like it'd end up being a dump. I do hope people can enjoy it though and then they can enjoy this final installment of Echo Night.

Thanks for putting it out there, it was pretty interesting to see the end even though I think it seemed like the least good one in the series that far. Now to make some time to catch up on this LP, hopefully Beyond kept the interesting parts of the earlier games despite the platform generation change.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. Revisiting Fatal Frame 4 while watching these videos has mixed me up a bit. I keep imagining a Fatal Frame protagonist just blundering through Echo Night, exorcising every ghost and being bewildered that there aren't more journals.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
No one noticed the most important part of this update: a cat on the keyboard! :refurb:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

No one noticed the most important part of this update: a cat on the keyboard! :refurb:
I made a tasteful joke in the video description, but rest assured we will need to free that poor cat's soul probably. Like when we had to help that ghost dog in the second game.

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. Revisiting Fatal Frame 4 while watching these videos has mixed me up a bit. I keep imagining a Fatal Frame protagonist just blundering through Echo Night, exorcising every ghost and being bewildered that there aren't more journals.
I try my best to confuse my watchers. First it's like "Jeez, where are all these Disaster: Day of Crisis videos from?!" and then it's "Wait....why did you start a Fatal Frame 4 LP at part 5?!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No one should complain about Day of Crisis videos randomly appearing anywhere.

Having not seen the first two games I was wondering if the game would make you have to "confront," as it were, the dangerous ghosts while they were still dangerous rather than just running away after they suddenly appear. Seeing how quickly your heart rate gets to near-lethal it seems like we're going to be looking at a lot of mad scrambling in the fog.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

As we delve deeper into the facility, we knew it would only be a matter of time before we'd have to head outside the safe confines of it's interior and deal with the dangers present on the lunar surface itself. If only we knew then what dangers would lie in store for us outside...murder priests and unfulfilled life partners.

Update Ghost Info
??????(Male)
Nathan Gold
Nick Getchell
Nancy Spinel

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How can we hear the ghosts in the vacuum of space?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That hologram room is so bizarre. "Ho-hum just a 100% totally an android *wink wink* painting portraits of dead people, no big deal right"

I wonder if this echo night will have time traveling sequences like the previous ones. It would be nice to visit another location other than Hallway and Crater.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

How can we hear the ghosts in the vacuum of space?
My best guess is maybe a mic in our headsets connected to their ghost space suits? It could be as well that the ghosts are communicating on a psychic level and talking right to our brains, so there'd be no need for the sound to carry at all?

coleman francis posted:

That hologram room is so bizarre. "Ho-hum just a 100% totally an android *wink wink* painting portraits of dead people, no big deal right"

I wonder if this echo night will have time traveling sequences like the previous ones. It would be nice to visit another location other than Hallway and Crater.
That won't really happen this time around cause everything is going to be confined to the moon. The most 'time traveling' we'll get is the recordings we get in the monitor rooms.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's the same way we can hear lasers in space: very well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Haunted handiwork! Backtracking for optional ghosts! Precision button pressing! This update has it all and more.

Update Ghost Info
Paolo Dato
Igor Hinggan
??????(Male)
Dan Bertrand
Martin Hirkimer
Norman Spinel

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Great LP so far. My friend has a copy of this but we never made any headway. Quick question, in episode 5 at around 11:20 when you are looking at the two ghosts in the Material Storage Room there seems to be a green patch on the ground that you either missed or ignored. Are we going to see that?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zushio posted:

Great LP so far. My friend has a copy of this but we never made any headway. Quick question, in episode 5 at around 11:20 when you are looking at the two ghosts in the Material Storage Room there seems to be a green patch on the ground that you either missed or ignored. Are we going to see that?
Yeah, we are; I honestly just didn't notice it. Some of the recordings are just super hard for me to see (like the very first one with the couch took me ages to notice).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, I finished watching Fatal Frame 4. I'm upset even if what you said was true.

As for Echo Night...did we get a reason why we can talk to ghosts?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
So it sounds like this time around the "red stone" isn't a singular artifact, but an entire vein of mineral they found. That's a bit of an odd change. Unless that red material they've been mining is in fact produced by the singular red stone as a consequence of it's owner's wish.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, I finished watching Fatal Frame 4. I'm upset even if what you said was true.

As for Echo Night...did we get a reason why we can talk to ghosts?
Well he does continue to be a hunk even if it's just being a ghost hunk. Still what I found most interesting about Fatal Frame 4 is that it canonically is the earliest Fatal Frame in the series and yet it doesn't really do anything with that; it doesn't set up anything to connect the other games; it just happens to take place in the 80's or 90's.

Now as for why ol' Richard can talk to ghosts, it could be explained as something that just runs in his family but it actually just seems like his blood line has a bad habit of being drawn into bad situations with the stone. In the other two games, everyone can see the ghosts but usually they get spooked by friendly ghosts and run or they run into evil ghosts and get murdered; so they don't really get the chance that we do in getting to know the ghost and solve their problems.

Edvarius posted:

So it sounds like this time around the "red stone" isn't a singular artifact, but an entire vein of mineral they found. That's a bit of an odd change. Unless that red material they've been mining is in fact produced by the singular red stone as a consequence of it's owner's wish.
That makes sense; the game is a bit vague regarding what this facility really is on the moon. Sometimes it's represented as a tourist destination and not all the people we run into seem to be there for work, but then there's the whole mining portion which seems to allude to this being a work based facility. I still get a feeling though, at least from how they talk about the red stone, that it's not some material they've found en masse on the moon. I think they just happened across the singular red stone and found it had unique properties.

Also I was happy to learn that 'regolith' wasn't some fanciful made up metal from FromSoftware, and that it's an actual thing. It's the pillowy, rocky surface on the moon and well ummmm that's about it. Not really sure why you'd want to mine it but that's the reason they came up with to explain how they uncovered a cursed stone on the moon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the movie Moon is to be believe the upper soil of the moon is a good source of Helium-3.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What more encouragement than "moon rock" do you need to mine the moon? If someone said I could have a fireplace mantel of moon rock I'd sure be interested...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

We meet a friendly kitty, a rude granny, and some hot Russian tech. It's an eventful trip down to the space port for us.

Update Ghost Info
Natalia Riskaya
Licia Turner
Ruthie
Alan Coleman
Igor Hinggan
Dimitri Euxen
Khristina Pegma
Sergei Descloizo

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What more encouragement than "moon rock" do you need to mine the moon? If someone said I could have a fireplace mantel of moon rock I'd sure be interested...
Well going for souvenirs is one thing, or maybe even for scientific study, but this seems to be for actual mining purposes and I don't really think the moon has anything special to offer there. But it's at this point in the game that kinda leaves me confused what the real purpose of the facility is; some of it seems for tourism and then some of it just seems for mining?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The moon's a great place to visit!

Well I’d like to visit the moon
on a rocket ship high in the air
Yes I’d like to visit the moon
But I really don’t want to die there.

You know I’d like to look down on the Earth from above
And have a great time with the one that I love
It’s a great destination for our honeymoon
But I don’t want to die on the moon

I’d like to travel over the sea
I could hang out with all of the crew
We could travel over the sea
But I don’t want to die out there too.

I might stay for a day — if I like the hosts
But there’s not much to do when your friends are all ghosts.

And the Orpheus isn’t a safe place to be
So I don’t want to die on the sea

I’d like to visit a mansion, learn the family lore
Go back in time and play with Dino some more

There’s so many strange places I’d like to be
But none of them permanently

So if I should visit the moon
Well I’ll get off the shuttle and then
I will make a wish on a stone
And I’ll wish I was home once again

Except I bet it would backfire and release some strange fog
That would kill everyone and their kids and their dog
Then I’d be a ghost and I’d rave like a loon
No, I don’t want to die on the moon

No I don’t… want to die… on the moon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kangra posted:

The moon's a great place to visit!

Well I’d like to visit the moon
on a rocket ship high in the air
Yes I’d like to visit the moon
But I really don’t want to die there.

You know I’d like to look down on the Earth from above
And have a great time with the one that I love
It’s a great destination for our honeymoon
But I don’t want to die on the moon

I’d like to travel over the sea
I could hang out with all of the crew
We could travel over the sea
But I don’t want to die out there too.

I might stay for a day — if I like the hosts
But there’s not much to do when your friends are all ghosts.

And the Orpheus isn’t a safe place to be
So I don’t want to die on the sea

I’d like to visit a mansion, learn the family lore
Go back in time and play with Dino some more

There’s so many strange places I’d like to be
But none of them permanently

So if I should visit the moon
Well I’ll get off the shuttle and then
I will make a wish on a stone
And I’ll wish I was home once again

Except I bet it would backfire and release some strange fog
That would kill everyone and their kids and their dog
Then I’d be a ghost and I’d rave like a loon
No, I don’t want to die on the moon

No I don’t… want to die… on the moon.

Too late!

:golfclap:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Awwww, I simply adore that; especially the call back to the ol' OG undead good boy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At 25:45, did you mean to say Earth?

• Locked thread