Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/959866819048648704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know what? I'm honestly surprised at Dario:

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/929722621616447488

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For anyone who might've wondered how Thurman actually feels about Tarantino, she posted this on instagram:

quote:

Quentin Tarantino, was deeply regretful and remains remorseful about this sorry event, and gave me the footage years later so i could expose it and let it see the light of day, regardless of it most likely being an event for which justice will never be possible.he also did so with full knowledge it could cause him personal harm, and i am proud of him for doing the right thing and for his courage.

I think the general idea that he realised that he hosed up, but it was the producers who did all they could to shut it down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know what? I'm honestly surprised at Dario:

Same. He's not had the best attitudes towards women. It's why I don't really think someone should be raked over the coals for saying that now they have a daughter, they understand how bad this poo poo can be. Yeah, you should know it already, but having it happen to someone close to you - or just imagining it happening to someone close to you - brings it into sharper focus.

This is pretty hosed up though. Nor should it be forgotten that Anthony Edwards detailed his own abuse from early in his career and it made next to no traction.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

when its your daughter it doesn't matter how many of your peers are being complete loving pricks about it, you're gonna speak out.

which, good. in all honesty, i imagine that most of the great horror directors/writers are actually fairly well-adjusted people (by hollywood standards). Carpenter seems like a cool old dude who smokes weed and plays video games, Stephen King is a fairly normal guy (now), I don't think I've ever heard negative stories about Wes Craven, Travis Barker or George Romero.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

when its your daughter it doesn't matter how many of your peers are being complete loving pricks about it, you're gonna speak out.

which, good. in all honesty, i imagine that most of the great horror directors/writers are actually fairly well-adjusted people (by hollywood standards). Carpenter seems like a cool old dude who smokes weed and plays video games, Stephen King is a fairly normal guy (now), I don't think I've ever heard negative stories about Wes Craven, Travis Barker or George Romero.

I'm 2 degrees of separation away from a lot of people in horror because of work I've done in the local film and TV community, so I have mutual friends on Facebook with people like Kane Hodder, Bill Moseley, and Rob Zombie (the most famous person I personally have on Facebook is J. Larose because I've worked on two projects with him, and his daughter went to my high school and is friends with my brother). Overall they're mostly regular dudes apart from that tinge of weirdness you need to have to be a middle aged man in the horror community.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Travis Barker

you may know him as a horror director, but i'm more a fan of his drumming for Blink 182

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

gently caress, as if, at this point 'you can be in expendables 4, no problem' is any kind of loving leverage. Crews was barely in the third. He was more keen to be on a show with Andy Samberg.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you may know him as a horror director, but i'm more a fan of his drumming for Blink 182

Travis, Clive, they both have the letter "v" in them, that's close enough

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, as if, at this point 'you can be in expendables 4, no problem' is any kind of loving leverage. Crews was barely in the third. He was more keen to be on a show with Andy Samberg.

I'd imagine the set of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a lot more fun than the set of Expendables.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd imagine the set of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a lot more fun than the set of Expendables.

Hardly any high powered white guys grabbing his crotch, I'd imagine

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it was more that some people were semi-expecting stories about Dario to come out.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I love how Terry Crews gives zero fucks anymore; publicly posting that email from Russell Simmons asking him to "forgive" Adam Venit for sexually assault was the beginning.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hardly any high powered white guys grabbing his crotch, I'd imagine

hey now, Andy Samberg is pretty powerful and i bet grabs his crotch all the time

but it's out of love instead of gross power politics

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

hey now, Andy Samberg is pretty powerful and i bet grabs his crotch all the time

but it's out of love instead of gross power politics

He puts crotches in boxes, as gifts.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lol, what moron sexually assaults Terry Crews of all people

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

White person with money and influence.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the kind who's been able to get away with it for years and knows getting knocked the gently caress out by a buff black man will only be reported one way

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Question for those with connections to the industry, I'm curious, is it just me or is Hollywood one of the worst, most extremely stratified social hierarchies in the business world? Like fame and power has so much to do with who you're even allowed to talk to. And then on top of that there's how pervasively acceptable verbal abuse is between superior and subordinate.

Something tells me Swimming with Sharks isn't really that far off from reality.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

White person with money and influence.

It's astounding to me how the Adam Venit thing with Terry Crews is being outright ignored by the media. It's open racism, plain and simple. Is anyone supposed to believe Adam Venit would still be employed if Terry Crews was a young, attractive woman? It just makes me want to loving vomit thinking about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

-Blackadder- posted:

Something tells me Swimming with Sharks isn't really that far off from reality.

I believe when the movie came out, people in Hollywood weren't trying to figure out if it was based on real people, but which ones. (I think the consensus eventually came down to Joel Silver?)

Segue
May 23, 2007

Has this article with Tarantino defending Polanski been posted yet? Because it is extremely disturbing. From 2003 Howard Stern:

https://jezebel.com/heres-audio-of-quentin-tarantino-defending-roman-polans-1822745916

"Tarantino: No, that was not the case AT ALL. She wanted to have it and dated the guy and—

Quivers: She was 13!

Tarantino: And by the way, we’re talking about America’s morals, not talking about the morals in Europe and everything.

Stern: Wait a minute. If you have sex with a 13-year-old girl and you’re a grown man, you know that that’s wrong.

Quivers: ...giving her booze and pills...

Tarantino: Look, she was down with this."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Segue posted:

Has this article with Tarantino defending Polanski been posted yet? Because it is extremely disturbing. From 2003 Howard Stern:

https://jezebel.com/heres-audio-of-quentin-tarantino-defending-roman-polans-1822745916

"Tarantino: No, that was not the case AT ALL. She wanted to have it and dated the guy and—

Tarantino: And by the way, we’re talking about America’s morals, not talking about the morals in Europe and everything.

Stern: Wait a minute. If you have sex with a 13-year-old girl and you’re a grown man, you know that that’s wrong.

Well, Tarantino can go gently caress himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tarantino really should keep his mouth shut when he's been obviously railing coke all day.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was this before or after the case files (including Polanski's elocution) had been unsealed?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Well, I mean... Everybody knew she was 13 and seeing as how this isn't France...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was this before or after the case files (including Polanski's elocution) had been unsealed?

I don’t think it really matters if his reaction to “She was literally 13” was “Maybe we should stop being so weird about the age of consent, maaaan.”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

I believe when the movie came out, people in Hollywood weren't trying to figure out if it was based on real people, but which ones. (I think the consensus eventually came down to Joel Silver?)

Yeah, Huang has said that everything Frank Whaley goes through is something he and other ap's went through.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Segue posted:

Welp. That's me tapping the gently caress out on Tarantino. That is completely indefensible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

Welp. That's me tapping the gently caress out on Tarantino. That is completely indefensible.

Look, in Europe they have different morals for defending sex offenders.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I really hope that's something he said on a very bad day and has since realised how loving stupid it is and has done something to make up for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

I really hope that's something he said on a very bad day and has since realised how loving stupid it is and has done something to make up for it.

I mean, it was 15 years ago too. Online journalism is really bad about doing that; "Thing Person Said 10-20 Years Ago Juxtaposed With Recent Events". That's not to defend what he said, because lmao he said some incredibly stupid poo poo, but I feel like it's possible he's changed his mind or realized how dumb he was being since, again, it's been fifteen years. People have the capacity to change.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It was 15 years ago, but it was also 15 years ago hot on the release of his epic, two-part, revenge film starring his tortured 'muse' Uma Thurman, herself a victim both of Harvey Weinstein and his own coercion/abuse. It's certainly possible that Tarantino has had time to be embarrassed, but even when you consider it in the context of the time in which it was said, it's a particularly loaded moment that betrays a facet of Tarantino's artistic/celebrity cult of personality.

I don't think it's so much about charging a man for being a rape apologist 15 years ago - although that's certainly enough. We can still discuss the event itself as a microcosm of exactly the problem, and which, even if it's not Tarantino who is personally espousing this bile anymore, is definitely still being spouted somewhere, and is especially troubling when it's spouted by people who pander art that exploits cultural-ethical crises while fundamentally offering no alternative.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Huang has said that everything Frank Whaley goes through is something he and other ap's went through.

I thought it was supposed to be about Scott Rudin?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

since his comment is 15 years old tarantino thinks it's fine to do whatever with it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

It was 15 years ago, but it was also 15 years ago hot on the release of his epic, two-part, revenge film starring his tortured 'muse' Uma Thurman, herself a victim both of Harvey Weinstein and his own coercion/abuse. It's certainly possible that Tarantino has had time to be embarrassed, but even when you consider it in the context of the time in which it was said, it's a particularly loaded moment that betrays a facet of Tarantino's artistic/celebrity cult of personality.

I don't think it's so much about charging a man for being a rape apologist 15 years ago - although that's certainly enough. We can still discuss the event itself as a microcosm of exactly the problem, and which, even if it's not Tarantino who is personally espousing this bile anymore, is definitely still being spouted somewhere, and is especially troubling when it's spouted by people who pander art that exploits cultural-ethical crises while fundamentally offering no alternative.

No argument there. I'm just saying, the passing of time is important in one way, which is that one should never read something someone said 15 years ago and immediately jump to "they must still be that way". I assure you that we have all said things that, 15 years later, we would never imagine saying.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

since his comment is 15 years old tarantino thinks it's fine to do whatever with it
:chanpop:

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Well Uma did clarify her feelings on Quentin: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0x6OCFRwQ/?taken-by=ithurman

And then Quentin gave more details on what happened: http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-uma-thurman-harvey-weinstein-kill-bill-car-crash-new-york-times-1202278988/

But the Polanski comments are still a loving mess. I guess he could've changed his mind since he didn't sign the 2009 petition that literally everyone else signed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Well Uma did clarify her feelings on Quentin: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0x6OCFRwQ/?taken-by=ithurman

And then Quentin gave more details on what happened: http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-uma-thurman-harvey-weinstein-kill-bill-car-crash-new-york-times-1202278988/

But the Polanski comments are still a loving mess. I guess he could've changed his mind since he didn't sign the 2009 petition that literally everyone else signed.

I feel like Dowd could've mentioned some of this in the article...

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sadly Tarantino's comments about Polanski were pretty much the Hollywood consensus response. So many celebrities defended him, men and women alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm kind of getting the impression that Tarantino used to be a really, really lovely person, but had some kind of epiphany at some point and has legitimately been trying to turn around and use his platform for good

almost like a real-life My Name Is Earl or something, but... grosser since Jason Lee is cute and Tarantino is a strange troll-man with a foot fetish