Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sometimes people actually like my sketches more than my completed drawings, this might be one of them:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

this is fantastic

drat... I need to get mroe stuff drawn

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Al! posted:

sometimes people actually like my sketches more than my completed drawings, this might be one of them:

Reminds me of Battlezone.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I like dogs using computers.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/960211448952651776

I then tried something different today and I'm not really crazy about the results.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/960267369343016960

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 4, 2018

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Eh

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Also eh, but an angry eh.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

So I took a day or two break and just smashed the entire series of altered carbon.

I loving loved the Edgar Poe character in the series, so I had to draw him.

I'm super happy with how this turned out. That chart about art slumps and how it's really you're own ability to critique art improving really loving helped get me out of a flump I was feeling, so thanks to who posted that!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Still playing ketchup with this thread.

bonus 3d doodle.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spent a good chunk of time drawing this. Tried to pay a lot more attention to lighting and shadow in this piece but like many things my comprehension of it is poo poo. At least I think I drew a prominent hand without it looking awful? Its actually really hard to draw fat fingers.

One thing I wonder is when you guys work on large pics, how do you avoid forgetting about minor details? Its always a struggle for me to remember what I'm doing and when I'm hours into a drawing and juggling like 10+ layers its so easy to overlook stuff.

I really like this one.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I found this handy chart (as a reblog on Coelasquid's tumblr) to explain art slumps that might help others!

I'm still gonna celebrate the gently caress out of my successes though.

Looking at other people's art keeps me from experiencing art high because it always reminds me how much mine sucks compared to competent people.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/960637333707124737

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Internet Kraken posted:

Spent a good chunk of time drawing this. Tried to pay a lot more attention to lighting and shadow in this piece but like many things my comprehension of it is poo poo. At least I think I drew a prominent hand without it looking awful? Its actually really hard to draw fat fingers.

One thing I wonder is when you guys work on large pics, how do you avoid forgetting about minor details? Its always a struggle for me to remember what I'm doing and when I'm hours into a drawing and juggling like 10+ layers its so easy to overlook stuff.

Looking at other people's art keeps me from experiencing art high because it always reminds me how much mine sucks compared to competent people.

I love that bird freaking the gently caress out like there's something worse than being attached to some sorta fat lumpmonster and it's looking straight at it.

After some time staring at any pic, your eyes do get fatigued, and it's a good idea to either take a break or pick it up again the next day.

Neeeever let someone else's good arts get in the way of feeling good about what you've achieved! Especially since "art" is such a wide area. You might learn to be a brilliant portrait artist and end up lamenting how you can't do cartoony caricatures, or do great comic arts with a whooshy sense of movement and cry how you can't paint scenery or machines like (excellent artist you happen to be looking at). There's a ton of different kinds of art and no-one's the master of all.

I'm on a fat lump bend too.

It was supposed to be like a fat bunny-man hybrid but it ended up looking like a shaved ewok so I just went with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I love that bird freaking the gently caress out like there's something worse than being attached to some sorta fat lumpmonster and it's looking straight at it.

The bird is actually controlling the fat lump so it can judge sinners and determine if they are worthy of being sanctified or devoured. Demon's Souls is a weird game.

quote:

Neeeever let someone else's good arts get in the way of feeling good about what you've achieved! Especially since "art" is such a wide area. You might learn to be a brilliant portrait artist and end up lamenting how you can't do cartoony caricatures, or do great comic arts with a whooshy sense of movement and cry how you can't paint scenery or machines like (excellent artist you happen to be looking at). There's a ton of different kinds of art and no-one's the master of all.

Good advice. I feel plenty of good about my art since I can actually draw the stuff I want now whereas last year I struggled so much to put my thoughts onto paper. However looking at other art is good for keeping perspective and also inspiring new ideas in how I can approach drawings. I'm far from a skill level I'm comfortable with (and doubt I'll ever reach it) but just being able to draw is making me happy now as long as I feel like I'm improving somewhat.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Hotdog Jesus proof of concept.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

I love this, and not just because I love Adjudicator. Demon's Souls has a lot of good contrasting locations and inhabitants, I think.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
..and a quick color study on apostlepigs to go with hotdog Jesus.

Revisiting an old piece from years ago. Not sure if I want to do it as a painting, or just as a large drawing. Regardless it'll be a good exercise.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

dog nougat posted:

Hotdog Jesus proof of concept.

This athiest approves of your "hotdog jesus". Go forth and prosper.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 6, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna draw basically nothing but Demon's Souls this month since the servers are going down and I wanna pay tribute to it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

cool o'neill cylinder

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/961312084498833410

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

cool o'neill cylinder

that's what that's called!!! i couldn't remember last night, only that it was the thing from policenauts

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

If I hear any more :biotruths: I will lose it I swear.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This is real loving cool. The design/composition it perfect.

I drew a friend of mine rather than a character/actor today. It's weird drawing someone you know well, as every little part you didnt get quite right is obvious. But on the whole it looks like him and I'm happy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

this owns and i hope some teen girls post this at some assholes on facebook

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I actually did some real painting.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Love the colors. Real loose and gestural. Just adopted a doggy of my own. Hopefully she'll give me time to do some drawing. Especially excited to be able to draw her and get a better understanding of dog anatomy/mechanics.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I bought a "conté" pencil, compressed charcoal, I really like the color and texture but it's so delicate, it breaks often when i try to sharpen it. Working on speed portrait

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Sharpen it with a razor blade and sandpaper. Awesome draws as usual.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

dogs are cool ;^)

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/962027301297799168

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Been doing a drawing a day since january 1st (actually been doing at least 20 if not more),seeing how long i can keep going for,up to day 40 as of this post.

Please be gentle,also if i've posted too many let me know and i'll delete em.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

d3c0y2 posted:

I drew a friend of mine rather than a character/actor today. It's weird drawing someone you know well, as every little part you didnt get quite right is obvious. But on the whole it looks like him and I'm happy.

I've found drawing people and/or pets I know is so much more difficult than those you've never seen before. You look at them so different! It's harder to pick out the traits that define them, although if they've got specific clothing they always wear, you're halfway there after putting those down. I'm just saying this so I can ask if that hat's one of them :D

smallmouth posted:

I actually did some real painting.

Ahhh the colours are so vibrant and the dog so cozy! I've been wondering, do you carefully think about your brushstrokes so you always have a good spread of different directions or do you just go by feel? It's really interesting how you manage to avoid getting a repeat pattern in.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm here for hella built bunnies with cute-rear end faces!
Welcome to the daily grind. Are you planning to do animations or were you gonna project the ones that are on .. plastic see-through paper pocket-things. I forget the word.
Also it's impossible to post your art too much in this thread.

I pulled myself out of the angst long enough to not draw DARK BUT ALSO BLOOD for a moment

Tiny grass is sleeping. But also angry. Do not disturb.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I've found drawing people and/or pets I know is so much more difficult than those you've never seen before. You look at them so different! It's harder to pick out the traits that define them, although if they've got specific clothing they always wear, you're halfway there after putting those down. I'm just saying this so I can ask if that hat's one of them :D

He got into Peaky Blinders in a BIG way and has pretty much worn one of those flat caps ever since.

I can honestly say I ain't ever had to draw a flat cap before, so I'm glad it was at least recognisable as a hat haha. Though it looks a bit more Beret than flat cap on hindsight.

I've recently signed up to skillshare cus they had an offer for 3 months for 69 pence I found. So I'm mostly focusing on tutorials and stuff at the moment, but I hope to have some drawings to put up soon :)

Also I love your work, but your cutesy animal stuff is by far my favourite. You manage to even get these sort of soft lines that make it feel like it's straight out of a kids story book. I could imagine that picture in some fairy tale book so easily.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm here for hella built bunnies with cute-rear end faces!
Welcome to the daily grind. Are you planning to do animations or were you gonna project the ones that are on .. plastic see-through paper pocket-things. I forget the word.
Also it's impossible to post your art too much in this thread.

I pulled myself out of the angst long enough to not draw DARK BUT ALSO BLOOD for a moment

Tiny grass is sleeping. But also angry. Do not disturb.

I've been dabbling a bit in animation but literally just 3 frame stuff,nothing serious,the acetate stuff is just having fun with layers and experimenting really,thanks for the kind words :]

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Been doing a drawing a day since january 1st (actually been doing at least 20 if not more),seeing how long i can keep going for,up to day 40 as of this post.

I like this one most. It's so simple but the line s are perfectly weighted, and the slight style change on the mouth really draws focus without being jarring.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

d3c0y2 posted:

I like this one most. It's so simple but the line s are perfectly weighted, and the slight style change on the mouth really draws focus without being jarring.

I've got a real thing about pink posca pens on acetate,it's like drawing with icing sugar,so satisfying.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ahhh the colours are so vibrant and the dog so cozy! I've been wondering, do you carefully think about your brushstrokes so you always have a good spread of different directions or do you just go by feel? It's really interesting how you manage to avoid getting a repeat pattern in.

I just go by feel. The more I think about something the more it goes downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
First attempt at pixel art.