Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I just bought a house, and I'm having my first kid this year.

I should be looking into getting a will/estate planning right?

I assume it's best to go with an actual lawyer, and not something like legal zoom.

How much does all this usually cost, and what's the best method to find someone in my area? California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you married

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Yes I am.

Married 3 years, wife pregnant, due in May. Just bought the house last October.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If either of you owned anything substantial before marriage and still own it probably yes

You May also see a lawyer if you are worried what would happen to your kids if you and your wife codeceased

You need lots of life insurance regardless

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I missed it, how bad did that guy gently caress up?

I didn't gently caress up past the crime of not immediately hiring a lawyer. I posted a pretty detailed question about employment law.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bitchkrieg posted:

I didn't gently caress up past the crime of not immediately hiring a lawyer. I posted a pretty detailed question about employment law.

Dangit, gently caress up more, this thread needs sustenance.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The general advice to find a lawyer is to:

1. Ask a lawyer you know personally who they would recommend;
2. Ask a non lawyer you know personally if they have someone they liked;
3. Google?

Be prepared to pay for a consultation. Unless you own some really significant assets or otherwise have a complicated situation, it would be relatively straightforward. Blarzgh, what would you estimate charges in suburban Texas on this kind of deal?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bitchkrieg posted:

You're a success story though, you've agreed that a lawyer should handle whatever sexual assault you did/had done to you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're a success story though, you've agreed that a lawyer should handle whatever sexual assault you did/had done to you.

I get all my sexual assault from doctors on the gymnastics team tyvm.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

I get all my sexual assault from doctors on the gymnastics team tyvm.

Allegedly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sigmoid colon massage. With my penis.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Can we disable editing here like in EN?
Exempting known lawyers (aka the worst) of course.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If one of us tells a poster to edit their post, are we telling them to destroy evidence?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

If one of us tells a poster to edit their post, are we telling them to destroy evidence?

Possibly lmao

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Plead the fifth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

I'm about 90% sure the data of all edited posts is retained in the database. It is with every forum software I've used but lol SA forum software.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
If you mail everyone who reads this thread a dollar, you can establish attorney-client privilege.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

If you mail everyone who reads this thread a dollar, you can establish attorney-client privilege.

I do not wish to create joiner with you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
dear fbi: all my past, present and future posts are strictly hypotheticals

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"delete your account" is destruction of evidence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

I wish it was that hard

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

We must create a new thread, using blockchain technology to make sure no information is destroyed. Then people can use the associated cryptocurrency to pay the lawyers in the thread for their advice. Let's call it Legalcoin. I'll make the wiki.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Hi, I’ve recently moved from Maine to Alabama and I have some questions about a water bill that has mysteriously been $300 for the month of December ( House was uncccupied , except for toilet use by my husband who was doing renovations) and is now again , another $300. The previous owner, a friend, said it has never been that high. Ever.
I assume this is some sort of fraud as there are no leaks in the house’s water system.
My questions for you legal types are:
What are my choices when it comes to demanding this bill be rectified? Do I have to pay for umpteen gallons of a product I did not use? Can they shut off my water if I refuse to pay a disputed bill?
Is there some threat of going to court I should be using when talking to them if reason does not work?
We will be in the water office Monday morning.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

obviously I hosed it posted:

Hi, I’ve recently moved from Maine to Alabama and I have some questions about a water bill that has mysteriously been $300 for the month of December ( House was uncccupied , except for toilet use by my husband who was doing renovations) and is now again , another $300. The previous owner, a friend, said it has never been that high. Ever.
I assume this is some sort of fraud as there are no leaks in the house’s water system.
What are my choices when it comes to demanding this bill be rectified? Do I have to pay for umpteen gallons of a product I did not use? Can they shut off my water if I refuse to pay a disputed bill?
Is there some threat of going to court I should be using when talking to them if reason does not work?

You probably have a leak underground.

Edit: or a running toilet or another leak you just haven't found yet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

How do you know there isn’t an underground leak?

Also don’t show up in person, do you think high water usage problems are some sort of novel issue the public works department doesn’t know how to address ?

If you do follow through and accuse them of fraudulent water bills in person, please record video for posterity

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

You probably have a leak underground.

Edit: or a running toilet or another leak you just haven't found yet.

Seconding the underground leak, probably after the water meter but before it enters the house, and might be hidden by concrete somewhere. I had one of these that wasn't discovered until it saturated the ground after a few weeks without rain.

I imagine if you stuff enough lawyer in the pipe it will fix the problem.

Edit:

The water company will probably use a 12 month average as a basis for bill adjustment, which favors acute problems. If the leak has been undetected for a long time, you might be hosed. When my house's leak crested into detectable, the problem had been going on for two to six months raising the average usage by a lot. I got about $40 back from the adjustment of a $300+ problem.

Devor posted:

If you do follow through and accuse them of fraudulent water bills in person, please record video for posterity
Also do this.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 3, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Find the water meter. Turn off all of the devices that use water in your house. If there meter is still moving, you have a leak.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

User name/post combo.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Devor posted:

How do you know there isn’t an underground leak?

Also don’t show up in person, do you think high water usage problems are some sort of novel issue the public works department doesn’t know how to address ?

There’s been a huge problem here with overcharging on water, I’ve since found out from this morning. I’m not the only person with this problem with the water. I wasn’t coming from a place of hostility. Sorry if it seemed that way to you!

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/01/birmingham_water_works_bills_a.html

(Part of the reason my mind goes to fraud vs mechanics , etc, is that we’ve already encountered people who think ‘ fleecing a yankee’ is not theft in any form, but legitimate entertainment. )

Otherwise, I’m hoping it is indeed a leak , on their end of things. I’ll find out Monday and check back in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You absolutely have a leak underground. Call a leak detection service asap

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Also move back to Maine

loving carpetbaggers

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hi, I’ve recently moved from Maine to Alabama

Why

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Also move back to Maine

loving carpetbaggers

Lol

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Let’s say a person in Ohio was married, and that person’s spouse (alone) signed an “automatically renewing” agreement for some years of a service at their shared home. Let’s also say that after that person was divorced from the spouse, they continued paying that monthly bill unaware of any automatic renewal, as the person who remained in the home assumed it was and had always been a month-to-month bill. Would the person reasonably be subject to the terms of that agreement, despite being unaware of it?

The person in question has reached out to a lawyer for their specific case, but I have yet to hear an update. I wonder for my own curiosity.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sonic Dude posted:

Let’s say a person in Ohio was married, and that person’s spouse (alone) signed an “automatically renewing” agreement for some years of a service at their shared home. Let’s also say that after that person was divorced from the spouse, they continued paying that monthly bill unaware of any automatic renewal, as the person who remained in the home assumed it was and had always been a month-to-month bill. Would the person reasonably be subject to the terms of that agreement, despite being unaware of it?

The person in question has reached out to a lawyer for their specific case, but I have yet to hear an update. I wonder for my own curiosity.

Are you wondering whether 1) 'that person' has to continue paying an automatically renewing agreement until they die, or 2) whether some specific term of the agreement applies to them?
1) No, 2) probably not, but will depend on the agreement/terms.

What is the agreement for?
What is the term that 'that person' is concerned about?
(or have 'that person' ask their lawyer)

what does the divorce decree say about this agreement, or failing that, about debts/financial obligations in general?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just tell your ex to cancel it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's generally common practice to notify your client before closing probate, right?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I don’t do probate, but we inform our clients of pretty much everything. The largest amounts of malpractice claims are centered around lawyers not communicating with their clients (according the law schools)

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

joat mon posted:

Are you wondering whether 1) 'that person' has to continue paying an automatically renewing agreement until they die, or 2) whether some specific term of the agreement applies to them?
1) No, 2) probably not, but will depend on the agreement/terms.

What is the agreement for?
What is the term that 'that person' is concerned about?
(or have 'that person' ask their lawyer)

what does the divorce decree say about this agreement, or failing that, about debts/financial obligations in general?
It’s actually not me, just trying to keep it vague for... I’m not sure why really. Upon some thought, I assume no one knows or cares about me or my work friends.

I didn’t assume they’re screwed forever, but it’s something like 3 years left on a recent “renewal” for a pest control thing, and they’re looking to move so I assume (and have been told loudly) that they aren’t interested in paying to treat a house they don’t own.

I’m not sure what the divorce decree says, I wonder if it’s even in there. My divorce had a bunch of minutiae about monetary debts and accounts but nothing about obligations like that (maybe it gets lumped in with the house and its “contents”), so I’m not sure if that’s a common thing to consider.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

It's generally common practice to notify your client before closing probate, right?

In Texas its often more common to never "close" the probate because there's essentially no point. Once the estate is distributed, anything else will eventually SoL out of existence, so it's pointless to take the extra step of actually closing it.

But yeah, I would think you'd mention it to your client. I'd also think that unless there was some outstanding issue that was inside the SoL when you filed, but outside now, and didn't get handled in the distribution, then I don't know why telling the client would have an effect on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

It’s actually not me, just trying to keep it vague for... I’m not sure why really. Upon some thought, I assume no one knows or cares about me or my work friends.

I didn’t assume they’re screwed forever, but it’s something like 3 years left on a recent “renewal” for a pest control thing, and they’re looking to move so I assume (and have been told loudly) that they aren’t interested in paying to treat a house they don’t own.

I’m not sure what the divorce decree says, I wonder if it’s even in there. My divorce had a bunch of minutiae about monetary debts and accounts but nothing about obligations like that (maybe it gets lumped in with the house and its “contents”), so I’m not sure if that’s a common thing to consider.
Has your friend tried just calling and explaining the situation to the exterminator?