Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

it hurts when i see mgsv stuff

it was so close to being literally the perfect game. if kojima only had another year... :negative:

If only Konami kept setting money on fire... :negative:

I love MGS5, but let's not pretend Kojima didn't gently caress around and waste lots of time and cash. I wonder if Sony has anyone keeping him in check for Death Stranding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if Sony has anyone keeping him in check for Death Stranding.

Take one look at the trailers and then ask that again.

2 years and zero gameplay footage does not bode well for a constrained, well-manged vision.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What little we've seen of Death Stranding really feels like Kojima making a game with no managment oversight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

What little we've seen of Death Stranding really feels like Kojima making a game with no managment oversight.

Let's just hope it results in an MGS2 or MGS3 rather than another MGS4 situation

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If only Konami kept setting money on fire... :negative:

I love MGS5, but let's not pretend Kojima didn't gently caress around and waste lots of time and cash. I wonder if Sony has anyone keeping him in check for Death Stranding.

They also killed every single franchise they owned, so it's not all on Kojima's back here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
can anything this year even come close to MonHunWo, i have played for 60 hours already and it feels like i've barely scratched the surface of the content. jesus what a good game!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh i had forgotten that wild arms 3 was translated by Square Soft, Inc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

can anything this year even come close to MonHunWo, i have played for 60 hours already and it feels like i've barely scratched the surface of the content. jesus what a good game!
this is how I feel most years, tbh

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chev posted:

Never played Ultima 8, eh? It was unfinished even going by those criteria. Truly a spectacular achievement.

Ultima 8 was nowhere near as unfinished as Ultima 9.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm going to loving die of stress fighting Flamelurker I swear to christ the pattern change up and attack boost towards the end is killing me. Every single time, a sliver of health left, every single time I get caught up in the geometry of his terrible arena and die aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

2 years and zero gameplay footage does not bode well for a constrained, well-manged vision.

The underwater part of trailer 3 contains gameplay lol kojima is such a rascal

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

I'm going to loving die of stress fighting Flamelurker I swear to christ the pattern change up and attack boost towards the end is killing me. Every single time, a sliver of health left, every single time I get caught up in the geometry of his terrible arena and die aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I beat him first time like pretty much every DeS boss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry that wasn't very helpful :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Internet Kraken posted:

I assume any handlers who check in on the particulars of the project can only relay visions similar to those on the Event Horizon in terms of things they were never meant to see.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE0 is pretty rad and I wasn't expecting to be swarmed by a horde of angry monkey zombies

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

are you playing on PS4? I keep seeing those RE games on sale and it's my great shame that I haven't played any RE other than 4.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

This should be a bannable post imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I was being dumb and bashing my ahead against an enemy I was too under leveled to beat. Five minutes in Latria and one magic enhancing ring later and the boss crumpled like paper. I’m upset I never sat down with the game almost a decade ago, I might be coming onto the series.

Does Dark Souls have such a terrible intro? Not being able to truly level for so long and being in a linear imo boring level was the largest hurdle overall.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

are you playing on PS4? I keep seeing those RE games on sale and it's my great shame that I haven't played any RE other than 4.

You really need to play at least RE1 remake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, DS1 has a much shorter intro level, DS2 and 3 pretty much start you out straight away. Bloodborne throws you into the game straight away but you can't level until you've seen a boss. :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
c
o
o
l

b
o
x
a
r
t

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So one of the weapons in Monster Hunter is just straight up an LMG?

That's rad.

Using a ranged weapon might help me from getting confused if I'm playing this simultaneously with Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 6, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/226221921

I was practicing speedrun stuff earlier and to get to the final stage of this game, you have to rescue your buddy Balzac in all of the platforming stages so that he'll show up in that cage there and give you your Dignity after you break him out.

This time he decided to just gently caress off after I let him out and I ended up getting the bad ending where you don't even get to go to the final stage because you don't have your dignity.

lol, the game owned me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I went to fire up ELEX and play a bit of that then I discovered a mod that gives you a huge cheat menu which lets you change a bunch of different stuff and lost six hours loving around in that world, it’s really weird how they basically made a Fallout New Vegas sequel, jank and worldbuilding and all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think even more than the base design what makes celeste really wonderful is its aesthetic and general attitude. like the whole theme of climbing a mountain is absolutely perfect for what it's going for, the levels all being these huge themed worlds really gives off the feeling that you're climbing your way through it all, the game's calm encouraging tone that things'll be tough but you'll manage it if you keep trying and it's ok if you need to take a breaks along the way, and the way levels are built around the characters' emotional state and insecurities. it's loving brilliantly laid out in so many ways, i don't think i've been this impressed with a 2d platformer's vibrant design and creative vision since rayman origins and i'm not even halfway done with it yet. celeste rocks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know I am one of the very, very few (perhaps the only poster on this site) who had fun reading Ready Player One and will be seeing the film, but I happened across this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZp4HFHGmzc

It is the reworking of 'World of Imagination' that they use in the trailer and I cannot stop listening to it :D It is absolutely awesome and totally conjures up a mad electronic universe of whatever you want to be! I love bombastic renditions of tracks by orchestras :D

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat Cleric Beast first time and thought "man, maybe by playing shitloads of DS1 and 2 I'll be good at this Bloodborne lark". Daddy G disabused me of that notion pretty quickly

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I beat the phalanx first time but then kinda bounced off demon's souls. It's okay but I'm enjoying playing through dark souls 3 a lot more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat both CB and Gascoigne first time in my first play through, then in my second it took me about 10 goes to kill FG because it was just a fluke and I never learned to fight him properly.

Still never been killed by BSB though :smugdog:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat Manus and the black dragon in the Dark Souls 1 dlc on my first try using the time-tested method of “hide behind a greatshield and only try to attack once every minute”

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Get very close to souls bosses and roll through all their attacks imo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Get very close to souls bosses and hug and kiss them imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I know I am one of the very, very few (perhaps the only poster on this site) who had fun reading Ready Player One and will be seeing the film, but I happened across this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZp4HFHGmzc

It is the reworking of 'World of Imagination' that they use in the trailer and I cannot stop listening to it :D It is absolutely awesome and totally conjures up a mad electronic universe of whatever you want to be! I love bombastic renditions of tracks by orchestras :D

Just out of curiosity, what did you enjoy about it? What did you like about it? What was good about it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to hug Sif the grey wolf

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dammit Sif just let them borrow the ring for a bit

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
You might think that after 80 hours of hunting monsters my enjoyment of the experience may have begun to wane. On the contrary, I recently started using the lance and my thirst for battle has only grown.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Just out of curiosity, what did you enjoy about it? What did you like about it? What was good about it?

I will try to answer this as best as I can.
I will always completely own anything I enjoy/like and am not ashamed in the slightest! :D

OK, one of the very first games I ever played was for the Commodore 64. It was called Snare. I played it when I was 7 years old. The manual had a little bit of backstory to the game which was that you were a fortune seeker. A crazy old rich guy had set up a contest called Snare. He made 16 or so levels where the object of the game was to guide a little ship around them to the exit, avoiding traps and other fortune seekers. Whoever got to the end of the entire Snare would win his whole fortune! It was tough, and much tougher than anything I had played at the time (which consisted of SMB1).

The plot, however, stuck with me for all of my life. I thought that idea was so cool.

Ready Player One has a similar idea in it. Find the three secret keys by deciphering pop culture references and you will win the whole of the Oasis!

It is a definitely a book where you can imagine that power fantasy. Wade is a blank slate for you to neatly slip yourself onto it and by goodness, the Oasis is something I would want to experience. To be in any one of my fantasy worlds and live infinite crazy lives like in the stories I write!

Being down on your luck, having a pretty bad home life and wishing for something good to happen to you was exactly where I was when I first read the book. It was at the beginning of my spiral and this book alleviated that depression. While I read it, I was sucked into Oasis too. I had never been happier (at the time) than when I was a pre teen, and as I grew up in the 80s these references activated my nostalgia so very much that it allowed me to feel better.

I became really invested in Wade's story. Some things I saw coming, some I did not, and those I did not I still love The kill screen pacman game extra life is one of my favourite little bits in the book for the exact moment I realised what it meant at the end had me grinning like a complete idiot!

A lot of the references are just lists and the main character does have a tendency to do things completely right with loss of failure but that is not why I was reading it.

I read it because I wanted to be that unstoppable hero who got everything he wanted in his own Oasis full of his favourite things and attain happiness.

Since my therapy and wellness I read the book again a few months ago (right after the first trailer was released).

I still loved it. I still love the power fantasy that it invokes, and I love the side character backstories, I love that it is the dreams I had as a kid in tangible form.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

the Oasis is something I would want to experience. To be in any one of my fantasy worlds and live infinite crazy lives like in the stories I write!

Might I recommend Second Life? :v:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Might I recommend Second Life? :v:

ha! Not quite the same, I am afraid.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat both CB and Gascoigne first time in my first play through, then in my second it took me about 10 goes to kill FG because it was just a fluke and I never learned to fight him properly.

Still never been killed by BSB though :smugdog:

It took me until my third playthrough without parrying to realize Gas Coin is supposed to be your parry tutorial. I felt like a big goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I am, Ive collected the RE re-releases on there and PC since every sale they discount the games like mad. the REmake is probably still the best of the selection, and RE2 is just a fantastic game. If RE2make is as good as the jump from RE1 to the REmake, boy howdy thats gonna be a hell of a game.

• Locked thread