Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Nicco couldn't really get beat any worse, or have any shorter of a title reign, than Joanna vs Carla

For sure, but Carla was the betting favorite in that fight. I can't imagine Nicco being anything better than a +500 underdog. Cyborg would have been the favorite as the challenger, except there was no champion. I can't think of times the champ was the underdog, but I'm sure it must have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Nunes a couple of times, DC against Jones, Edgar against Penn and Maynard were all underdogs. Not +500 though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Looten Plunder posted:

If she never quits, why the gently caress are you telling her to shut up when she is saying her knee is hosed?

That's a mistranslation.

It's supposed to say she's not allowed ever quit.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Acinonyx posted:

For sure, but Carla was the betting favorite in that fight. I can't imagine Nicco being anything better than a +500 underdog. Cyborg would have been the favorite as the challenger, except there was no champion. I can't think of times the champ was the underdog, but I'm sure it must have happened.

Ngannou was favored over Stipe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Machida was favoured over Rashad. Brock over Randy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nate Diaz is rumoured to be interested in stepping in for Max against Edgar at 222.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nate Diaz is rumoured to be interested in stepping in for Max against Edgar at 222.

I wonder if that would be for an interim belt?

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As a 155 fun and games main event or trying to make 145 for an interim? Can Nate make 145? Seems like that'd be a real bad cut.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/4/16972022/nate-diaz-is-100-interested-in-fighting-at-ufc-222-replace-max-holloway-injury

Doesn't say what weight but you'd have to imagine it'd be 155.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

kensei posted:

There is no way Nate Diaz makes 145 on short notice. I dont know if he makes 145 with any notice. It'd probably be 155 for fun if true.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Hard to imagine Diaz beating Holloway (unless he manages to put Holloway's back against the cage and keep it there), but it'd still be a fun fight.

edit--lol im an idiot having a brain fart and forgot holloway is the one who is out

Cyber Dog fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 5, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can’t wait for Eddie to cry about Nate somehow

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Acinonyx posted:

I can't imagine that Serra was favoured over GSP

e: GSP was -500 according to this

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Acinonyx posted:

I can't think of times the champ was the underdog, but I'm sure it must have happened.

Miocic vs. Ngannou wasn't that long ago.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Cyber Dog posted:

Hard to imagine Diaz beating Holloway (unless he manages to put Holloway's back against the cage and keep it there), but it'd still be a fun fight.

edit--lol im an idiot having a brain fart and forgot holloway is the one who is out

I think Nate's reach can make things uncomfortable for Holloway and Nate has always done well against other standup fighters as long as they don't make bitch rear end lady sounds.

Edgar might be a tougher fight because of his offensive wrestling and his movement.

Nifft fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Acinonyx posted:

Miocic was a slight underdog. The last one I remember being a bit bigger was...the second Edgar/Penn fight, I think.

https://www.bestfightodds.com/events/ufc-118-edgar-vs-penn-2-278

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kensei posted:

The Interim Violence Weight Championship.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

The Interim Violence Weight Championship.

Interim? Who holds the Violence Weight title?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/960719116435951616

I know you aren't the brightest Ariel but that is the last straw for you to say he isn't fit to ref?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

I know you aren't the brightest Ariel but that is the last straw for you to say he isn't fit to ref?

He's not wrong about it being a bad sign about a ref. A ref should not be saying "I gave her a chance to be a warrior" - he should be saying "I'm here to protect you from yourself."

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Yamasaki looks at Brazilian girl being pounded into hamburger while mounted

"And now you have earned it; your chance to be a warrior."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yamasaki is so frustrating because he's not like Mazzagatti where its cut and dry. Half the time he's a fine ref - maybe not great, but competent. Its the other half of the time thats the problem, when its evident that he has only achieved what he has in life through a dark pact with the same ancient blood god Tan Dan worships.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Mario doesn't call it if a fighter is intelligently defending herself. It's not Mario's job to decide if she's doing a good job, it's his job to decide if she's doing it at all. Not even getting into the fact that if you watched Valentina Shevchenko fight and it made you unhappy, well, brother, at a certain point that's on you.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's actually totally his job to decide if your defense constitutes intelligent defense. Boxing referees have been doing it for years and MMA is finally starting to catch up. Not in that fight, though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gay Horney posted:

Mario doesn't call it if a fighter is intelligently defending herself. It's not Mario's job to decide if she's doing a good job, it's his job to decide if she's doing it at all. Not even getting into the fact that if you watched Valentina Shevchenko fight and it made you unhappy, well, brother, at a certain point that's on you.

It is 100% a referee's job to stop a fight if they feel it has become dangerously one-sided, even if the losing fighter is "intelligently" defending themselves.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
mario disagrees. i forgot to add that I don't support his mentality but I've heard it explained before

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rigel posted:

Interim? Who holds the Violence Weight title?

Eddie Alvarez.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Shevchenko is probably my favorite currently active female fighter.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

El Roncho posted:

Shevchenko is probably my favorite currently active female fighter.

In a world with Joanna Champion, that's a high bar to clear. To be honest, I thought she beat Nunes, and she looked vicious on Saturday. I think she's going to have a belt by the end of this year.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

In a world with Joanna Champion, that's a high bar to clear. To be honest, I thought she beat Nunes, and she looked vicious on Saturday. I think she's going to have a belt by the end of this year.

Joanna Contender now, my dude.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

mario disagrees. i forgot to add that I don't support his mentality but I've heard it explained before

Well poo poo he should find a new job then. You don't get to make up your own special criteria based on your bushido spirit to overwrite the definition of intelligent defense that's literally spelled out in the rulebook.

Tbh I think this is one of the few things that boxing actually does better. I'm a casual boxing fan so I'm sure that someone will tell me I'm wrong and find me some videos of a guy being beaten half to death. But anecdotally it seems to me that in boxing there's a much higher acceptance for refs stopping a fight if a guy's still upright and moving but getting the poo poo kicked out of them to the point where they're ineffective.

Whereas in MMA it seems like it's more common let a person be beaten on endlessly as long as they're still standing and/or moving. I feel like there's been improvement from this over the last few years, but it's still comes up. I know refs don't want to stop a comeback that might theoretically happen but at a certain point you have to do your loving job and protect someone's well-being over your sports narrative.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CRISPYBABY posted:

Tbh I think this is one of the few things that boxing actually does better. I'm a casual boxing fan so I'm sure that someone will tell me I'm wrong and find me some videos of a guy being beaten half to death. But anecdotally it seems to me that in boxing there's a much higher acceptance for refs stopping a fight if a guy's still upright and moving but getting the poo poo kicked out of them to the point where they're ineffective.

that's basically how conor got stopped vs floyd

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bluedeanie posted:

Yamasaki is so frustrating because he's not like Mazzagatti where its cut and dry. Half the time he's a fine ref - maybe not great, but competent. Its the other half of the time thats the problem, when its evident that he has only achieved what he has in life through a dark pact with the same ancient blood god Tan Dan worships.
mazagatti wasn't even as terrible or dangerous in his day, he simply hosed with a moneyboy lesnar fight and ignited an eternal vendetta from Mr. Peanut

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There are certainly cases of boxers taking wayyyyyyy too much punishment in fights. But the cornermen and refs tend to be very good at recognizing when a fighter is hurt and unlikely to mount any real resistance or come back to win.

Gatti/Gomez, Trinidad/Mayorga, Mayweather/Gatti, and Calzaghe/Lacy are among some of the worst beatings in boxing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Ariel Helwani wants Yamasaki to do the r word????

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

El Roncho posted:

Yamasaki looks at Brazilian girl being pounded into hamburger while mounted

"And now you have earned it; your chance to be a warrior."

[Yamasaki whispering into Cachoiera's ear:] bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior

[Turning to her weeping family in the front row:] BOOM! Another hit is landing!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

[Yamasaki whispering into Cachoiera's ear:] bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dan Didio posted:

:discourse:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
choose the sword, and you will join me in getting punched on the ground 200+ times. choose the ball, and you will join your mother in rizin. you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

choose the sword, and you will join me in getting punched on the ground 200+ times. choose the ball, and you will join your mother in rizin. you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

• Locked thread