Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

C. Everett Koop posted:

loot boxes for individual wheels

e - and shoelaces

fake e - and the little nubs at the end of the shoelaces for extra landing stats

They are called aglets, their true purpose is sinister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

New Legacy have announced the second Brawl 4 All for this saturday at 9. Announced matches are

TATANKA VS MISAWA for the Brawl 4 All championship

THE JOHNSONS VS EDDIE BRAVO & A MYSTERY PARTNER

MIKE AWESOME VS YOSHIHIRO TAKAYAMA IN 2/3 FALLS

WILLEM RUSKA OPEN CHALLENGE

bought to you by Tatanka Wild Wings

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Testekill posted:

New Legacy have announced the second Brawl 4 All for this saturday at 9. Announced matches are

THE JOHNSONS VS EDDIE BRAVO & A MYSTERY PARTNER

Is it Joe Rogan?
I hope it's Joe Rogan.
I bet it's Joe Rogan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Monster Factory's latest is 2k18.

I do have to say, this almost tempts me (now that I have a PS4.) Is there like a good game which has this level of stupid character creation?

Not really, though I thought certain aspects of the creation tool were scaled back in 2k18 over previous years. You can't really openly gently caress up heads and body parts like you used to be able to. The freakshow they made in the 2K17 Monster Factory was way weirder.

Also, once you create your dude there isn't much left to do with them. The career mode is a horrible slog. For a game that's basically just universe mode and the online stuff (which is inextricably tied into Career) they had no business charging full price for this. For a $30-40 game it'd be okay I suppose.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a shame- they've added enough creation stuff since 2k14 that I'm vaguely curious, but I know it's still the same slog underneath.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, it's a shame- they've added enough creation stuff since 2k14 that I'm vaguely curious, but I know it's still the same slog underneath.

They also took away creation stuff like Create a Finisher and Create a Story

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Losing create a finisher is because they changed to motion capture from the hand made animations, but the motion capture looks a lot worse.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

Is it Joe Rogan?
I hope it's Joe Rogan.
I bet it's Joe Rogan.

Too obvious. It'll be Jesse Ventura. As Captain Freedom.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's the landscape like for booking simulation games these days? Is TEW still the one and only?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

At the moment, I think so. But this month, Fire Pro World is getting a Management Mode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

At the moment, I think so. But this month, Fire Pro World is getting a Management Mode.

What, exactly, is management mode, anyways? I'm getting the impression it's sort of a mix of TEW and the 2K games' universe modes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

WWE and Fire Pro both stop their sim at the point of choosing the performers, afaik Fire Pro still treats matches as shoots the same way 2K does. In other words, you don't call matches beforehand. TEW is the only game that embraces the business / audience management side of booking.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What, exactly, is management mode, anyways? I'm getting the impression it's sort of a mix of TEW and the 2K games' universe modes.

I'm just going off https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/557186-fire-pro-wrestling-2/faqs/59428 since I never played a Fire Pro game before World but the gameplay loop seems to be hiring/keeping talent while balancing your budget and their morale, putting together cards that increase your popularity, and trying to make sure your people come off better when cross-promotion events happen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

WWE and Fire Pro both stop their sim at the point of choosing the performers, afaik Fire Pro still treats matches as shoots the same way 2K does. In other words, you don't call matches beforehand. TEW is the only game that embraces the business / audience management side of booking.

Yeah, the TEW comparison was more from the fact that you seem to have to manage finances and morale and popularity in MotR, whereas Universe in WWE 2K doesn't care.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Carlzilla's mod suite for Fire Pro World apparently can let you decide which fighter wins and which move, apparently by simply making it so no other move can score a pin/submission.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Carlzilla's mod suite for Fire Pro World apparently can let you decide which fighter wins and which move, apparently by simply making it so no other move can score a pin/submission.

which really requires the AI to not jank out, else you'll end up with a match going on for like a loving hour real-time

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
It's better to just set the mod to ANY SIG/FIN then to try to get it to work on a single move.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Instead of making it so a specific move finishes a match, can you set it so no one taps out to a Single Leg Boston Crab?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Instead of making it so a specific move finishes a match, can you set it so no one taps out to a Single Leg Boston Crab?

Yes, the mod be set so that submissions cannot cause a submission unless they're a Signature/Finisher, so rest hold away!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/sc_prowrestling/status/961779721070522369

For reference, that's $5,855.65

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Right, I found my copy of TEW05 and installed the Death of the Territories mod. Time to start the Women's Revolution 30 years in advance :getin:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

Right, I found my copy of TEW05 and installed the Death of the Territories mod. Time to start the Women's Revolution 30 years in advance :getin:

Sorry, but Stephanie was about 10 years old at that time, so it's impossible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dsriggs posted:

Sorry, but Stephanie was about 10 years old at that time, so it's impossible.
I guess Rarity will have to base it on Stephanie's best childhood friend, The Big Show, instead.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Endless Mike posted:

I guess Rarity will have to base it on Stephanie's best childhood friend, The Big Show, instead.

And now I've got the absolutely horrific mental image of the old "Santina Marella" gimmick, but instead it's Big Show.

Thanks for that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You mean Steven Richards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

And now I've got the absolutely horrific mental image of the old "Santina Marella" gimmick, but instead it's Big Show.

Thanks for that.

That's nowhere near as bad as Big Show as the New Year's baby, which is a thing that actually happened.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Endless Mike posted:

That's nowhere near as bad as Big Show as the New Year's baby, which is a thing that actually happened.

Yes but that was for one night, and I was drunk so there's less of it in my memory.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

Yes but that was for one night, and I was drunk so there's less of it in my memory.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 10, 2018

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

The Kins posted:

Grab a copy of THUG2 for PC and look up a mod called THUGPRO. It ports over all sorts of poo poo from across the series into one game to sort of make it the Tony Hawk All Stars game.
The good news is that AKI still technically exist, they changed their name to Syn Sophia.

The bad news is they stopped making wrestling games and instead make the Style Savvy series, which, well, isn't wrestling.

Supposedly they made a barcode-battler-y wrestling game for mobile in 2014/2015, but the official website seems to have been replaced with domain squatters, so I suspect it didn't do well.

They also made two Yakuza / RGG spin-off games for Sega on the PSP. They received a bit of praise for the battle engine, which mixes Def Jam FFNY with elements from the Yakuza main franchise battle system.

A bit of gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIjjeOPAU8
One of the many boss fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2br_2pZz4&t=84s

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 10, 2018

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/newlegacyinc

Brawl 4 All 2 is starting soon

edit: 8 man fuckfest is up first and they reckon they'll probably introduce a title belt for it

MMA Legend Abyss vs Randy Couture vs Miguel Perez Jr vs Kota Ibushi vs Rex Lawless vs Jim Duggan vs Bradshaw vs Chris Harris

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 11, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, back to TEW for a bit.

Speaking of WCW.
(Buckle up, this is going to be a long one).

My NECW 0/0/0 game is going quite well. Well enough that I decided to start a new game because that's how I am. After watching a fair degree of WCW in 2000 on MRT's channel I've repeatedly asked myself 'what could they even have done with this mess'

So I decided to find out. I saw that there is a Jan 2000 historical mod in the 2013 mod archives so I dug that out and converted it. The first thing I notice is that in this mod The Radicalz are still in WCW and Bret Hart is not-retired. This will not do. So before I started the game I moved all the Radicalz to the WWF and retired Bret Hart to really get that 'this is the point of no return' feel WCW had in Jan 2000.

I fire up the game and it is every bit as insane as I thought it would be.
All 7 of the 'true' active main eventers have pops ranging from 70-80, which isn't nearly good enough for a National company. Of the 7, 6 of them are disciplinary headaches, 5 are heels, 2 are faces. I decide to even things out by turning Sid Vicious face. So 4 and 3. This is good. Except Lex Luger wrestled wasted forcing me to send him to rehab for 8 months. Then Hall wrestled drunk, which I absolutely saw coming; so to rehab he goes for the remainder of his contract. So now we're down to 3 faces and 2 heels. And then I remember that Sting, Hogan and Goldberg are on the shelf. 3 more main event faces, which will create a massive inequity when they return. I have Piper and Savage in the short term, whom I was loathe to use because they're occasional wrestlers. But their contracts are up in two months.

So for the first month I desperately try to keep the show ratings high, which means no room for experimentation because with things the way they are my best workers are just barely capable of maintaining two 77 rated storylines at a time.

Oh, did I mention that in this mod the 12 workers I've mentioned have a combined salary of 1.3 Million Dollars a month. which for people unfamiliar with TEW is fully 5x their market value. I can't even release them because it would be financially crippling. 12 workers, 1.3 million dollars and as of right now only 5 of them are active. I wound up sending Sid on vacation because he wouldn't stop getting Morale dings on account of being isolated in the locker room and Nash has gotten suspended for beating up Brad Armstrong, leaving Scott Steiner as the only true main event heel on the roster. Basically the financial future of this company it tethered to how long these contracts are around my neck. I can get rid of Piper and Savage in 2 months, Hall in 6, but I'm stuck with the rest for the next 2-3 years depending.

Luckily, I still made a profit my 1st month.
Unluckily I also dropped to Cult after losing the national battle to the WWE.
And all of my TV contracts are up in 2 months. And Turner Broadcasting/TNT/TBS won't negotiate with me, forcing me to wonder if I'll still be able to turn a profit once that happens, because if I can't there's not much I can do about it. This is really the only real problem. You can ride out everything else, just not losing money.

At which point it's operation 'drive the bad contracts into quitting'. I'm already there with Nash. Just waiting for him to get into another fight and that's 150k/mo in my pocket.

Creatively much like the actual WCW of the time I'm going with the youth movement. Except with good youths. I took a necessary risk and spent 1M on a developmental territory and signed all your usual indie darlings of 2000 suspects to it. I'm bringing in more road agents and higher character workers to try the mitigate the damage my overpaid idiots are doing backstage. My first creative goal is to push Rey Mysterio Jr. to the world title. I'm also gearing up Booker T, Juventud, and Steven Regal (hopefully their drug problems don't rear their head) to a point where they can carry the brand once I start kicking the old money to the curb.

This is where being Cult is useful. The pressure of gaining pop is lessened so I can experiment and rebuild. If I lose some pop, I'll regain it once the company's turnover plans come to fruition. In that vein I'll be transferring Thunder to 'B' show status once I switch stations, since I really don't want 2 opportunities to lose pop per week.

When I played the May 96 mod as WWF I would shortlist a lot of WCW's talent in hopes of sniping them once their contracts come up. I can't actually do that in this mod because unlike the WCW in 96 mod, WWF is too big to fail so their workers won't sign with me unless I hit national again, which I don't plan on doing for a few years.

But this is a 2 year plan and I'm on month 2. Here's to hoping all these ridiculous contracts don't kill me. Suggestions welcome

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I recently fired up TEW05 and fired up the DOTT mod to have a crack at following in Vince's footsteps and taking the WWF to world domination. I'm 2 months in and using a plan which I'm hoping will increase our interest nationally. Once a week we host TV tapings from our home in the Tri-State for profits then each week I take my written contracted stars out on the road to other areas and run the same show around the country to slowly build nationwide popularity. So far this plan is slowly building up funds so my only worry is that my top stars ask for massive wage hikes when contract negotiations come up. Jimmy Snuka demanded an extra $1k per show because he is a greedy little bugger :argh:

Stars-wise Andre is my meal ticket and star of all my main events but overall the roster is a whole load of dead weight I want to dump ASAP. The only guys I see being useful long term are Backlund, Muraco, Snuka, Rodz and Stevens. So for the most part I'm going to let people run out their contracts and bring in fresh talent to replace them. I've already brought in Savage as my future main guy as well as Rude, Kobashi and Koko and also Billy Jack Haynes for some reason :confused: Oh and I got in JYD as a small concession to the fact I need guys who are over now while I build these future stars.

I've only ever played as WWE in their prime before so this is all rather stressful.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChrisBTY posted:

But this is a 2 year plan and I'm on month 2. Here's to hoping all these ridiculous contracts don't kill me. Suggestions welcome

Here is my suggestion/challenge: succeed by booking sports entertainment style instead of just stacking the card with Indy Darlings

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Here is my suggestion/challenge: succeed by booking sports entertainment style instead of just stacking the card with Indy Darlings

On this, star quality is literally the most important attribute when you're an entertainment promotion.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Obviously the show is Pop++ for now and will be for the next few years.
But I always change these companies to Pop+ when I get the chance. If I can I even experiment with Pop=.
The guys I'm pushing are good enough that they can carry a Pop+ company.

The biggest problem is once I hit a point where I become national again WWE is probably going to kick my rear end in the national battles. There's really not much I can do about this because once Hogan is gone and Flair is in gatekeeper mode the star power to win the battle simply won't exist in the game world because WWE has almost a monopoly on top tier Star Quality guys under 40. My best hope is to see if I can steal Jericho and Angle from WWE when the opportunity arises and push Cena (whom I was able to sign to a developmental deal in what I assume was an oversight in the mod since he wasn't in OVW)

None of the developmental guys will be ready to main event until well after the change is established. Especially since if you push a young guy too hard he'll get an ego. (I hate this because one of the things I'm huge into when I play TEW is the youth movement)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 18, 2018

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Did you check the mod to see if workers had their potential randomized?

Regardless, does anyone interesting/fun have a high destiny roll?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did you check the mod to see if workers had their potential randomized?

Regardless, does anyone interesting/fun have a high destiny roll?

The destiny rolls are random. The results arn't terribly surprising though.
Cena and Juvy are my NBTs.
My top 5 hot prospects are Cena, AJ, Juvy, Joe and Tajiri

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 18, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChrisBTY posted:

Obviously the show is Pop++ for now and will be for the next few years.
But I always change these companies to Pop+ when I get the chance. If I can I even experiment with Pop=.
The guys I'm pushing are good enough that they can carry a Pop+ company.

The biggest problem is once I hit a point where I become national again WWE is probably going to kick my rear end in the national battles. There's really not much I can do about this because once Hogan is gone and Flair is in gatekeeper mode the star power to win the battle simply won't exist in the game world because WWE has almost a monopoly on top tier Star Quality guys under 40. My best hope is to see if I can steal Jericho and Angle from WWE when the opportunity arises and push Cena (whom I was able to sign to a developmental deal in what I assume was an oversight in the mod since he wasn't in OVW)

None of the developmental guys will be ready to main event until well after the change is established. Especially since if you push a young guy too hard he'll get an ego. (I hate this because one of the things I'm huge into when I play TEW is the youth movement)

I don't know what the first three lines mean, but the rest of your post sounds like I proposed a good challenge :v:

Really I just get bored of seeing people make an indy darling company because the game is weighted towards them since, generally, people on the internet gravitate towards them. But there's reasons companies like ROH never got popular in the US, and Vince McMahon is not all of them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh sorry. It's shorthand. (That only I use apparently)
Pop ++ means "Workers are rated much more on popularity than performance"
Pop + is "Workers are rated more on pop than performance"
Pop= is "Workers are rated equally"
And then there is Per+ and Per++ but since this isn't Japan we don't worry about that.

Pop++ is obviously what WWE and WCW are. I don't like Pop++, it's boring. Besides even my top guys at this point arn't quite popular enough to surge me back to national (and beyond).

The National Battles are sort of what exists to assure that some measure of "reality" is imposed in the game world, since it's a formula that combines star power and popularity. So Rey can be world champion, he could probably lead us back to National but when you compare his marketability to the Rock's he's going to suffer. I'll admit I made a bit of a mistake there. I'm still pushing Rey to that level mind you, but I can't expect him to be the guy in a National Battle (He has an 85 star quality, which is really good but we're talking about The Rock (99) and Steve Austin (97) here). And I also have to put up with a few questionable stat calls. Like Booker T (90) having a higher Star Quality than Goldberg (89).

Right now I have Hogan and WWE doesn't have Austin. This means that right now I can technically win the National battle were I national. But I can't be national again for another 6 months and then I'll only have a few months before they get Austin back. And I'll probably have to fire Nash by then because he's a one-man morale wrecking crew.

Now I simply can't keep the old guys around forever. They're old and they're basically the poison pill that got WCW into this mess in the first place. They can't coexist in the same locker room. They can't have good enough matches to actually increase their popularity anymore. Leaning on them in the long term would just be WCW 1999 but slowly getting worse.

So I need youth. Or at least relative youth. This is where the Radicalz were supposed to come in but WCW crapped on that one. And the youth WCW had isn't about to lead them into the future. (though I do have Sanders, Reno and Jindrak in development just to maintain a link to actual 2000 WCW.

This mod is not weighted towards the indie darlings. At all. They all have mediocre stats to start and the only Next Big Thing among the guys I signed is John Cena. Some of them will grow to be great , but none of the them have the star power needed to lead a national company.

I'll be honest I've never had to actually deal with National battles before because in the 96 mod I usually use both WWF and WCW sink to Cult immediately and never return (unless I'm the one running them).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

The National Battles are sort of what exists to assure that some measure of "reality" is imposed in the game world, since it's a formula that combines star power and popularity. So Rey can be world champion, he could probably lead us back to National but when you compare his marketability to the Rock's he's going to suffer. I'll admit I made a bit of a mistake there. I'm still pushing Rey to that level mind you, but I can't expect him to be the guy in a National Battle (He has an 85 star quality, which is really good but we're talking about The Rock (99) and Steve Austin (97) here). And I also have to put up with a few questionable stat calls. Like Booker T (90) having a higher Star Quality than Goldberg (89).

This is what I meant by randomized earlier. Destiny is a game feature and is always turned on, full stop. However, if you look at an individual worker in a database, you can see where they have an actual starting potential rating that can be set to none, low, medium, or high, and it has an effect on variance of their stats/caps as separate from the hidden "destiny" modifier.