Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of interfaces, does anyone here use https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ and if so, is the calendar view broken for anyone else? Instead of the shows I follow, it appears that every show in the sites database is now visible on the calendar. This used to be the standard view if I'm not logged in, but I am logged in.

TL;DR Is anyone else that uses the site experiencing the same issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Looten Plunder posted:

Speaking of interfaces, does anyone here use https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ and if so, is the calendar view broken for anyone else? Instead of the shows I follow, it appears that every show in the sites database is now visible on the calendar. This used to be the standard view if I'm not logged in, but I am logged in.

TL;DR Is anyone else that uses the site experiencing the same issue?

Looks the same as ever for me. That is it only shows what I've selected

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey I ended up not minding the Altered Carbon first episode (especially after the scene in the hotel), how is it going forward? Felt like they could end up shunting the interesting concepts out in favour of the visuals and action.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd say it stays interesting, they definitely don't overplay the action (can't even remember if the second episode has an action scene).

But I've only watched two more than you have.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
For all of the crap you can throw at JJ Abrams, he gave us Fringe, so he's cool in my book.

I'm not sure why Counterpart is flying so far under the radar, but thankfully it has a second season order so it does have time to get word of mouth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tortolia posted:

For all of the crap you can throw at JJ Abrams, he gave us Fringe, so he's cool in my book.

I'm not sure why Counterpart is flying so far under the radar, but thankfully it has a second season order so it does have time to get word of mouth.
The Fringe that JJ gave us was basically X-Files though.

The Fringe we eventually got was quite different and much better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Counterpart ep 1 is very good and interesting and I’m excited to watch more

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

The Fringe that JJ gave us was basically X-Files though.

The Fringe we eventually got was quite different and much better.

Yeah, I watched a few episodes of Fringe when it first dropped, but I never really got into it and the MOW was just not grabbing me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I watched a few episodes of Fringe when it first dropped, but I never really got into it and the MOW was just not grabbing me.

Have you gone back to it since? It became really, really good. It’s one of my favorite shows of all time. They really did a lot with the relationships between the characters, and the alternate universe stuff was explored perfectly. I’d recommend giving it another shot if you haven’t yet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

Unlike the X-Files, the Fringe MotW eps are generally only ok, with the real good stuff in the myth arc. I don't remember exactly when the myth arc starts but once it does whooo boy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

Unlike the X-Files, the Fringe MotW eps are generally only ok, with the real good stuff in the myth arc. I don't remember exactly when the myth arc starts but once it does whooo boy.

I love when (season five spoilers) the MOTW stuff from season 1 gets dragged back out when the team become a bunch of resistance fighters and use them as terror weapons a few times. That ruled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Finally got around to watching Mr. Robot S2 this weekend, I can see why this show lost a lot of heat and fans (that's my impression anyway) over this span. It's less focused, the same meta tricks and dramatic twists lost their luster after the S1, and there was a lot of time spent on periphery characters plots.

I still think it's an immensely good looking and well constructed thing, with its own unique viewpoint on the world and the like. But I think I enjoyed it a lot more binging it than I would have watching it week to week. Though the ramp up in jarring violence made some good TV (even though sometimes I thought it was a crutch, what can we do in this scene? Throw in a gun I guess).

And the less I have to hear someone say the words "DARK ARMY" the better, talk about your crutches. Feels vaguely yellow peril to me.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Fringe got good when JH Wyman and Jeff Pinkney took over. “White Tulip” IMO is the best episode of television that I’ve ever watched.

The reason I asked about The AV Club is it used to be my go to for reviews and in-depth writing on shows like Counterpart.

Anyone know of a good site that has comprehensive reviews of a Counterpart? Also will someone please make a thread?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Finally got around to watching Mr. Robot S2 this weekend, I can see why this show lost a lot of heat and fans (that's my impression anyway) over this span. It's less focused, the same meta tricks and dramatic twists lost their luster after the S1, and there was a lot of time spent on periphery characters plots.

I still think it's an immensely good looking and well constructed thing, with its own unique viewpoint on the world and the like. But I think I enjoyed it a lot more binging it than I would have watching it week to week. Though the ramp up in jarring violence made some good TV (even though sometimes I thought it was a crutch, what can we do in this scene? Throw in a gun I guess).

And the less I have to hear someone say the words "DARK ARMY" the better, talk about your crutches. Feels vaguely yellow peril to me.

Amazingly I think season 3 is better than season 1. It came back strong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is probably the best one so far yeah, although I personally preferred 2 to 1

I'm gonna make a Counterpart thread RIGHT NOW

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 3 is probably the best one so far yeah, although I personally preferred 2 to 1

My man!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Your other already wrote a thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848478

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
While this article is mostly about Star Wars I think it's trying to say that Confederate is shelved. Thank god. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-creators-write-produce-203528266.html

Yahoo posted:

It also comes at a time of transition for Benioff and Weiss. “Game of Thrones,” their sprawling fantasy epic, will end its run on HBO in 2019. The two men previously announced that they were developing another series for HBO called “Confederate.” However, that show generated a great deal over its plot line — it’s an alternate history series that imagines that the American Civil war ended in a stalemate.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used to love Star Wars as a kid.

I loved The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

But I think I loving hate Star Wars now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Went to my girlfriends cousins for the superbowl. Her 5 year old loving loves Star Wars, we were light saber battling for a long time. What I'm trying to say is that kids still eat this poo poo up. Who cares if you don't like what you enjoyed when you were a kid?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact they’re making something I loved as a kid, and still really enjoy now (while still making sure the kids are obsessed with it too) is pretty impressive.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Went to my girlfriends cousins for the superbowl. Her 5 year old loving loves Star Wars, we were light saber battling for a long time. What I'm trying to say is that kids still eat this poo poo up. Who cares if you don't like what you enjoyed when you were a kid?

But they're raping our childhoods, don't you understand?!

I still haven't bothered to see the new one. It's just easier to accept that nothing is going to capture me like my VHS star wars letterboxed on a crappy 80s TV did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new one is woke af

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Once Upon a time has been canceled.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey I ended up not minding the Altered Carbon first episode (especially after the scene in the hotel), how is it going forward? Felt like they could end up shunting the interesting concepts out in favour of the visuals and action.

Take it slowly. I binged it in two gulps, and got overwhelmed and confused by the sheer number of things going on by the end.
It has almost zero subtlety in how it handles its big themes. but if you stick around to...I wanna say the seventh episode, there's some pretty good payoffs. In the end stretch it goes really brutal, in ways that may be hard to stomach. A lot of critics called it problematic, and they're not per se, wrong, but they're aggressively clickbaiting and refusing to engage with the show on anything other than an outrage culture level, because that appears to be what dumb millennial readers want.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spatula City posted:

Take it slowly. I binged it in two gulps, and got overwhelmed and confused by the sheer number of things going on by the end.
It has almost zero subtlety in how it handles its big themes. but if you stick around to...I wanna say the seventh episode, there's some pretty good payoffs. In the end stretch it goes really brutal, in ways that may be hard to stomach. A lot of critics called it problematic, and they're not per se, wrong, but they're aggressively clickbaiting and refusing to engage with the show on anything other than an outrage culture level, because that appears to be what dumb millennial readers want.

Go on

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

But they're raping our childhoods, don't you understand?!

I still haven't bothered to see the new one. It's just easier to accept that nothing is going to capture me like my VHS star wars letterboxed on a crappy 80s TV did.

I don't mind that they're making new Star Wars films, and I don't mind that they're making a ton of them.

But trusting D&D to helm a whole trilogy of films is a dumbass idea because as the past few seasons of GoT has proven they can't actually write.

The only way I can see this working is if it's a straight adaptation of a series of Star Wars novels, and even then they'd probably gently caress it up somehow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

I don't mind that they're making new Star Wars films, and I don't mind that they're making a ton of them.

But trusting D&D to helm a whole trilogy of films is a dumbass idea because as the past few seasons of GoT has proven they can't actually write.

The only way I can see this working is if it's a straight adaptation of a series of Star Wars novels, and even then they'd probably gently caress it up somehow.

I have a feeling the Han Solo movie is going to break a lot of people of their trust in Disney and their money machine anyway. Rogue One did it for me, although I've really liked most of Rebels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

Last summer I drove past a couple of kids playing lightsabers with foam pool noodles just like I did in the 80s. Some things never change.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Asian guy sleeved into the body of a white guy (played by Joel Kinnaman)
Latina grandma sleeved into the body of a white guy (played by Matt Biedel)
Black mother sleeved into the body of a white guy (played by Cliff Chamberlain)

Three minority acting roles putting food on the table for... well, you get the point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

Asian guy sleeved into the body of a white guy (played by Joel Kinnaman)

Three minority acting roles putting food on the table for... well, you get the point.

lol

Btw the mom was white.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I have a feeling the Han Solo movie is going to break a lot of people of their trust in Disney and their money machine anyway. Rogue One did it for me, although I've really liked most of Rebels.

This is the one that has had reports and rumours going around about how Disney expects it to bomb, after all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

less laughter posted:

Asian guy sleeved into the body of a white guy (played by Joel Kinnaman and Will Yun Lee in flashbacks in most episodes, and all of episode seven)

Fixed something you left out. Also, yeah, the mom was white, she shows up in a clone of her original body at the end. There’s a lot of focus on the mindfuck of people having bodies that are nothing like the one they were born with, so tossing around the race and sex of characters is kind of a thing. And it’s not at all like the show is lacking in minority representation. A lot of those reviews are just straight up refusing to engage with a lot of the material to churn out some woke clickbait.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Speaking of Star Wars:
https://twitter.com/benfritz/status/960998829746106369

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I used to love Star Wars as a kid.

I loved The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

But I think I loving hate Star Wars now.

Ok wait I knew you didn’t like Last Jedi but disliking Last Jedi while loving Rogue One is some next-level insanity

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree with the AV Club's take on Altered Carbon, which is that it's too confused to be offensive.

Still like it though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok wait I knew you didn’t like Last Jedi but disliking Last Jedi while loving Rogue One is some next-level insanity
A New Hope - owns
Empire Strikes Back - owns
Return of the Jedi - owns
The Phantom Menace - poo poo
Attack of the Clones - poo poo
Revenge of the Sith - poo poo
The Force Awakens - owns
Rogue One - owns
The Last Jedi - poo poo
Solo - looks like poo poo
Anything Star Wars made by the Game of Thrones people - probably poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for 10 years time when history has settled on Last Jedi being the best one