Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Whoever loses to Orlando this season sucks hot dick. Out of the Heat, Pistons and 76ers who do you guys figure gets left out of the playoffs?

Probably sixers due to lack of depth . Their non stars are regressing hard and Simmons and embiid are not experienced enough yet to drag the team home on their own.

They have 5 in a row at home so we shall see .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Probably sixers due to lack of depth . Their non stars are regressing hard and Simmons and embiid are not experienced enough yet to drag the team home on their own.

The basketball gods see through this clumsy attempt at reverse-hubris

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

I think you guys will be active at the deadline and get in @7 or 8 as a result

They're hot for Lou Williams apparently and they could use another guard who can shoot

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if Spo is such a good coach how come he can't stop himself from playing Justise Winslow? I think they went like 11-2 when he was hurt, if that's right they're 11-2 without him and 18-23 when he plays. Which could just be whatever except that they only became good last season when he went out too...

xbilkis posted:

Dang, I was holding out for Milwaukee as a Lopez destination.

Acquiring a Zeller is a coward's move
I thought they'd just gotten rid of a Zeller but turns out that was a Plumlee around last trade deadline.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think you guys will be active at the deadline and get in @7 or 8 as a result

They're hot for Lou Williams apparently and they could use another guard who can shoot

Lou would be perfect . If they got him I'd say they have a real good shot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They have to develop Justise. He's already missed tons of time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fast Luck posted:

if Spo is such a good coach how come he can't stop himself from playing Justise Winslow? I think they went like 11-2 when he was hurt, if that's right they're 11-2 without him and 18-23 when he plays. Which could just be whatever except that they only became good last season when he went out too...

I thought they'd just gotten rid of a Zeller but turns out that was a Plumlee around last trade deadline.

His boss drafted justice, that's why

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

They stop playing Winslow: They are a team thats ceiling is the 2nd round and no real path to getting better.

They play Winslow: They lose a few more games but develop their 21-year old and hope he becomes either a difference maker to help them get up amongst the top of the East or a valuable chip to try to swing a trade.

Spo is trying to keep his team winning and also not getting on the Atlanta Hawks treadmill that many people on this board say is worse than tanking.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Guys I'm heading over to give Dipo some chicken noodle soup. I can't have him miss anymore games because we kinda stink without him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Remember when Heat lost Winslow and immediate wenr on a 20 game winning streak

Winslow is really bad

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern has its first NBA player since evan eschmeyer

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Weird standings quirk: The 18-35 Bulls have a winning record against the East. They have a better in-conference record than the Pistons, 76ers and Bucks!

(That means they are also 2-20 against the West)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
With everybody healthy and Treveon Graham giving them some quality minutes off the bench, I could see Charlotte making a run at the eighth seed. Their schedule to close out the year is incredibly soft.

They'll probably just end up at No. 9 with terrible lottery odds though

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is a really fun article, only because it reminds of the crazy that tends to happen this week

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/6/16972566/nba-trade-deadline-rankings

I totally forgot that the Clippers traded the pick that became Kyrie for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jcameratonbcs/status/960913349683896320

👀

https://twitter.com/pompeyonsixers/status/960913572627918848

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 6, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently Charlotte is thinking of hiring Mitch Kupchak as their new GM. I have zero idea how good he'd be since the Lakers and Hornets jobs are basically polar opposites

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

xbilkis posted:

Weird standings quirk: The 18-35 Bulls have a winning record against the East. They have a better in-conference record than the Pistons, 76ers and Bucks!

(That means they are also 2-20 against the West)

Minnesota has the best record against the West at 25-9, better than the Warriors 22-9. However, they are 9-13 against the East. Playing down to the competition.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lou Williams would be so angry if he had to start dealing with a bunch of young knuckleheads again in Philadelphia (dude hates young players so much, even with the Clippers he's still blowing up at his young guys but for the most part the Clippers young dudes are fringe NBA players that no one cares if Lou yells at them). But he would still play well and be great for the team.

morestuff posted:

Apparently Charlotte is thinking of hiring Mitch Kupchak as their new GM. I have zero idea how good he'd be since the Lakers and Hornets jobs are basically polar opposites

Well Michael Jordan seems to be pretty willing to spend if someone can get him something to spend on. You're right that he's not going to have the same leverage though there.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Lou Williams would be so angry if he had to start dealing with a bunch of young knuckleheads again in Philadelphia (dude hates young players so much, even with the Clippers he's still blowing up at his young guys but for the most part the Clippers young dudes are fringe NBA players that no one cares if Lou yells at them). But he would still play well and be great for the team.

Well Michael Jordan seems to be pretty willing to spend if someone can get him something to spend on. You're right that he's not going to have the same leverage though there.

Celtics need Lou, baby. Lou Bega. Lou Reed.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/960941064004743169
What? Who the hell would the Cavs give us?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

morestuff posted:

Awright, who here is Michael Jordan's SomethingAwful post analyst that saw me ask Rick about Kupchak? Show yourself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The satisfaction of putting Ricky on a team where he doesn't have to carry a scoring load.

I'd love to reunite Ricky and Love, and Ricky could defend the 2 if you wanted to play him next to IT. He'd have trouble against Klay, but most players do.

Compared to JR, Ricky's shooting wouldn't even hurt you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Cleveland Cavaliers Point Guard Ricky Rubio :psyduck:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/960959283700617217

Magic Johnson is a flagrant rule breaker.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Huh.

Pre-emptive 'go Cavs'

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

The most important skills for a Charlotte GM right now (and in general) are unloading bad contracts and drafting in the 8-12 range, where Mitch doesn't have much of a track record. Definitely better than Buzz Peterson, though

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

It's been deleted. What did it say?

Edit: NM, I see that the NBA Yahoo twitter account and Shams posted about it. Hahahaha Magic is so loving stupid.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

It's been deleted. What did it say?

Magic fined 50k for tampering with Giannis for speaking publicly about him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

The most important skills for a Charlotte GM right now (and in general) are unloading bad contracts and drafting in the 8-12 range, where Mitch doesn't have much of a track record. Definitely better than Buzz Peterson, though

He doesn't have a track record of drafting guys in the 8-12 range but the Lakers have pretty regularly drafted players better than a lot 8-12 players at 20-50. Now there are other guys within the organization that you can credit for that scouting, but also he did put that team of guys together which is something to be hopeful about I guess.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Lockback posted:

The satisfaction of putting Ricky on a team where he doesn't have to carry a scoring load.

I'd love to reunite Ricky and Love, and Ricky could defend the 2 if you wanted to play him next to IT. He'd have trouble against Klay, but most players do.

Compared to JR, Ricky's shooting wouldn't even hurt you.

Ricky's been lighting it up recently, he just needed people to believe in him :toot:

For real though, unless we're getting Love + a first rounder I really like how the team has been gelling the past week and a half.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tbh that tampering rule is the dumbest of all tampering rules.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

MelancholyMark posted:

Ricky's been lighting it up recently, he just needed people to believe in him :toot:

For real though, unless we're getting Love + a first rounder I really like how the team has been gelling the past week and a half.

You're on some intense drugs if you think Ricky is worth anywhere near love and a first

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also wouldn't the trade have to involve Thomas?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bip Roberts posted:

Also wouldn't the trade have to involve Thomas?

Why? Cavs have plenty of guys making 10-ish million dollars and a few around 1.5 mil so salary matching is easy.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You're on some intense drugs if you think Ricky is worth anywhere near love and a first

JR and a 2nd!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I don't know why anyone is surprised, Magic had to resign from the Lakers a few years ago because he kept loving tampering and getting in trouble

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

YES PLEASE
https://twitter.com/twithersAP/status/960886267675381763

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

dang the jazz get the best player and a pick

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rubio and Lebron would pass the loving air out of the ball. They'd play beautiful basketball together. Rubio could guard Curry. IT could be traded to UTAH.

This is not realistic, but all those shooters would wake up smiling if they knew they were getting BronBron and Rubicon passes laces up laces in the shooting pocket pass.

That's a fun fake trade. Rubio is sad in Utah. Rubio needs free flowing stuff where he defeats defenses by passing the ball between chins and chests.

He plays defense like a man, and makes shots when he's the 4th option.

Let's get this done. How do we get this done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That had to be Richard Jefferson. That's a reference for us old millenials.

• Locked thread