Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a fridge behind our server racks. No need to hide anything. The fridge is on it's own circuit as god intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/11-231_CANFORD-RACKWINE-Winerack-rack-mount-3U-black

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

You're supposed to use old equipment as pizza warmers in your racks!

:colbert:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BRB gotta rehide my stash now that you’ve exposed my master plan.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Thanks Ants posted:

Always good to rip an old server out a rack and have the thing on top crash down a level because somebody couldn’t be bothered with finding the correct rails for it.

I’ll never forget the time I had to swap a bad CPU on a dell server that had 4 servers stacked on top without rails. I managed to wedge something in behind the one I needed to pull out that was big enough to reach down to the next properly racked server, and shimmy it out enough to get the case plate off without the other servers collapsing entirely. Then I called my boss and demanded justice be done upon whoever pulled that poo poo.

This was at a major state university, which I was attending at the time. Never work for someone you pay for services, it’ll always be disappointing at best and alcoholism inducing at worst.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Honestly this seems like a lot of effort for something three dudes could get through in an hour.

The solution is to store more down there, obviously.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dogstile posted:

Honestly this seems like a lot of effort for something three dudes could get through in an hour.

The solution is to store more down there, obviously.

They did only lift one tile. There could be a veritable sea of libations down there.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Siochain posted:

24x7x365 mining operation here. Getting outage windows to reboot servers for various issues is hard enough, let alone trying to schedule one for "cleanup". We'll get it done eventually, just not anytime soon. Bigger fish to fry as well, its ~mostly~ cleaned up now, we just need to make it easier to trace.

24x7x365 here aswell. One day though. One day i'll grab my chance to fix this. I've been fixing the cabling in the datacenter a little bit every maintenance window. They are 2 hours so it's not enough time to get it all done.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sefal posted:

24x7x365 here aswell. One day though. One day i'll grab my chance to fix this. I've been fixing the cabling in the datacenter a little bit every maintenance window. They are 2 hours so it's not enough time to get it all done.

I mean, we could likely do it. If we wanted to come in and re-cable between midnight and 4 am. Which we don't, so we suffer :P

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Siochain posted:

I mean, we could likely do it. If we wanted to come in and re-cable between midnight and 4 am. Which we don't, so we suffer :P

I work at a manufacturing plant that has 3 shifts plus weekend overtime. Not a ton of room for downtime.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Problem: User reports laptop is acting strange.. Cursor keeps moving to right, Excel jumps to far right column and won't go anywhere else.

Observations: Right arrow key is stuck down

Solution: Remove Dorito crumb that is jammed into keyboard and holding down right arrow key.

mewse
May 2, 2006

stevewm posted:

Problem: User reports laptop is acting strange.. Cursor keeps moving to right, Excel jumps to far right column and won't go anywhere else.

Observations: Right arrow key is stuck down

Solution: Remove Dorito crumb that is jammed into keyboard and holding down right arrow key.

Were they male doritoes or the new female kind

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mewse posted:

Were they male doritoes or the new female kind

LOL wow... had to look this up. Wasn't expecting it to be real.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I work at a healthcare company which does IT for radiology centers. Over the past few days, one of the centers got one of their scanners replaced. However, they ran into an issue yesterday with the new scanner where the images were being scanned upside down. The vendor for the scanner decided to fix this by replacing the computer connected to the scanner with another one (not the easiest thing to do since the scanner computers are on XP and the rest of the center's computers are on 7 (no, I don't know why they're on XP)). Everything works fine after that. However, the computer didn't actually need to be replaced. Would anyone like to guess what the issue was?

stevewm posted:

LOL wow... had to look this up. Wasn't expecting it to be real.

Salt the earth.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lambeth posted:

I work at a healthcare company which does IT for radiology centers. Over the past few days, one of the centers got one of their scanners replaced. However, they ran into an issue yesterday with the new scanner where the images were being scanned upside down. The vendor for the scanner decided to fix this by replacing the computer connected to the scanner with another one (not the easiest thing to do since the scanner computers are on XP and the rest of the center's computers are on 7 (no, I don't know why they're on XP)). Everything works fine after that. However, the computer didn't actually need to be replaced. Would anyone like to guess what the issue was?

Salt the earth.

lmao

ctrl+alt+arrow keys

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

lambeth posted:

The x-rays were bring printed upside down!

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

lambeth posted:

New scanner is head up, old scanner was head down?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
They were taking X-Rays by making the patients stand on their heads?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Monitor was upside down.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have any experience with Nintex and O365 Sharepoint? Apparently this is a new project for us and me!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

Anyone have any experience with Nintex and O365 Sharepoint? Apparently this is a new project for us and me!

My experience is getting a quote from them and my boss saying they're too expensive.

He wasn't wrong, their product does way more than what we needed.

Are you trying to accomplish a specific task, or just have a general need for workflow tools in sharepoint?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

lambeth posted:

Salt the earth.

When I was getting radiation treatments I'd lie on the table under the emitter and the tech would close a door that looked like it belonged on a bank vault. They'd speak to me over the PA and one time I heard the old Win XP error sound and I laughed but I had to ask for an explanation. Turns out their scheduling PC was on XP, not the emitter.

EDIT: A recall notice came in! 5th Gen Carbon X1 might burst into flame! Thank goodness I only have one of those! Oh, it is the new one I gave to my boss! :shepicide:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504453

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 6, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was getting radiation treatments I'd lie on the table under the emitter and the tech would close a door that looked like it belonged on a bank vault. They'd speak to me over the PA and one time I heard the old Win XP error sound and I laughed but I had to ask for an explanation. Turns out their scheduling PC was on XP, not the emitter.

Holy poo poo lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

*being wheeled into giant radiation emitter*

*Windows 7 critical error noise*

Technician: "Uh oh"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"Just let me send over the scan report to your doctor."

*AOL welcome sound plays*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

*being wheeled into giant radiation emitter*

*Windows 7 critical error noise*

Technician: "Uh oh"

In my old office I had one of our WAPs sitting on a little table. When I got booted out one of the senior managers moved in. A couple of weeks ago he came to me asking that the WAP be moved because it's a radiation hazard. He explained that he had watched several videos on YouTube on the subject.

I tend to be a nonchalant about rads because I've had so much radiation that I couldn't give a poo poo about what comes off of a WAP, but I didn't want to be a jerk about it. I explained that our office is being hosed with EM from at least FIFTY other wifi networks and that a random person on YouTube is not an authority.

He said that the YouTube people sounded very confident and that if I didn't move the WAP he would go to my boss. So I moved it into the next office and that was enough for him.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

lambeth posted:

Salt the earth.

They were holding the printed page the wrong way.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
"Okay sir, let's begin your radiation treatment."

*clackityclackityclack*

"Huh... I wonder what malfunction 54 means..."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

lambeth posted:

Salt the earth.

They didn't install the correct printer/scanner driver on the XP computer.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

My experience is getting a quote from them and my boss saying they're too expensive.

He wasn't wrong, their product does way more than what we needed.

Are you trying to accomplish a specific task, or just have a general need for workflow tools in sharepoint?

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kensei posted:

I have very little SharePoint experience
Welcome to hell.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

kensei posted:

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!

I'm sorry.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kensei posted:

SharePoint

You have my deepest sympathy and condolences on your recent tragedy.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Zil posted:

"Just let me send over the scan report to your doctor."

*AOL welcome sound plays*

"You've got mail!"

"Aw, sweet, the Nigerian Prince got back to me!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

kensei posted:

Does it come with a cask of the finest whiskey?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

kensei posted:

Bless your little heart

Translation from American Southern English: Holy poo poo, you're hosed

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MJP posted:

"Okay sir, let's begin your radiation treatment."

*clackityclackityclack*

"Huh... I wonder what malfunction 54 means..."

Initially my radiation oncology doc misaimed the beam, so the side of my leg got particularly roasted by the radiation. It's a tossup whether my original cancer will be the one that kills me, or secondary cancers from the rads. I'm due for one, or both.

I'm hoping for the wild card: a massive CVA! :confuoot:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
We had a few of those giant ancient sun solaris 10U (or whatever) monstrosities. One of them got turned into a chair, one got "Lost" and the third one got all the guts ripped out of it, a small fridge placed inside of it's guts and filled with beer.

Assuming we're talking about "Beer in the server room"

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Renegret posted:

lmao

ctrl+alt+arrow keys

Ding ding ding ding ding

I didn't think it was possible to beat the time one of the centers paid $175 for us to send out a tech because they couldn't figure out how to unplug a power cable,* but yet, here we are.

* Our users seem to have difficulty understanding that to reboot the credit card machines, they need to unplug the small black power cable. Or the other end of the cable that plugs into the wall. This is the only black cable connected to the machine, and there are only two cables connected to the machines. "I can't find it."