Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

mario disagrees. i forgot to add that I don't support his mentality but I've heard it explained before

Powerful back pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

choose the sword, and you will join me in getting punched on the ground 200+ times. choose the ball, and you will join your mother in rizin. you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

Lmfao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

[Yamasaki whispering into Cachoiera's ear:] bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior

[Turning to her weeping family in the front row:] BOOM! Another hit is landing!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

choose the sword, and you will join me in getting punched on the ground 200+ times. choose the ball, and you will join your mother in rizin. you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Brazil is taking to the athletic commission thing like a duck to water, they're rocketing through the phases and have now reached the making public statements that don't mean anything when people get mad enough stage

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Holy poo poo a Lone Wolf and Cub reference.

:tipshat:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cody vs Frankie would be cool

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

Cody vs Frankie would be cool

yeah, it also seems like the best case scenario right now too

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It is the corner's job to stop the fight if their fighter has no chance of winning but is still fighting. It is the refs job to make sure the fighters are following the rules and are still actively and intelligently fighting.

I didnt see the fight yall are talking about but conor had completely stopped fighting against floyd

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

It is the corner's job to stop the fight if their fighter has no chance of winning but is still fighting. It is the refs job to make sure the fighters are following the rules and are still actively and intelligently fighting.

I didnt see the fight yall are talking about but conor had completely stopped fighting against floyd

The fight we're talking about had a 217-1 strike differential and blood everywhere. It ended by submission, and the losing fighter had to tap out three times before Yamasaki stopped the fight.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
More like Mario.. Kamikaze!

*pause for laughs

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

The fight we're talking about had a 217-1 strike differential and blood everywhere. It ended by submission, and the losing fighter had to tap out three times before Yamasaki stopped the fight.

and really, the only reason Shevchenko grabbed the neck was because she was exhausting herself punching her opponent's face.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
He was Cachoeira's second in her committing Yamaseppuku. When she cried out, he would have finished her off.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Blood is the concern of the doctor not the ref. But if those strikes were meaningful it sounds like her corner was bad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

Blood is the concern of the doctor not the ref. But if those strikes were meaningful it sounds like her corner was bad

Blood can also be evidence that the ongoing strikes are meaningful, especially if (as in this case) the cuts were caused by strikes.

I get that you're playing devil's advocate here for a fight that you didn't watch, but it was on the short list for the worst reffing I've seen in the UFC. On two occasions Valentina got to mounted crucifix and let out flurries of 30+ elbows which were bouncing this girl's head off the canvas. That girly was able to worm out eventually (my opponent hit me so hard and so many times that I was able to escape :smug:) is not a good argument for intelligently defense. Even Valentina's first flurry at the beginning of the fight rocked this girl, and Yamasaki stands there and acts as if 200+ unanswered punches and elbows is fine and dandy.

The bottom line is that there was a fighter who needed protection, and none of the three entities responsible for that duty stepped in to protect her. The ref should have stopped it, her corner should have stopped it, and the doctor probably could have stopped it.

Speaking of which, I can only think of one time that the towel flew in the UFC, which was Josh Thompson vs Nate Diaz, and nobody thinks less of Diaz or his corner for it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

Powerful back pedal

I've stood by worse opinions, I didn't watch the fight I was just saying where Mario was coming from

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Speaking of which, I can only think of one time that the towel flew in the UFC, which was Josh Thompson vs Nate Diaz, and nobody thinks less of Diaz or his corner for it.

There is probably a rule against doing it literally

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, it's a foul that ends the fight. Which is the point of it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

There is probably a rule against doing it literally

Yeah. Officially it causes your fighter to be DQed and for the fight to end, so mission accomplished.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/960942771954692096

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah her corner probably should have saved her

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tight

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn’t it nick who threw the towel in for Nate?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Bj penn's corner threw in the towel for him, because he was too much of a baby to quit on his own.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

An actually good corner

https://streamable.com/y11x2

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Yup, that's professional. No point in taking (more) life altering brain damage (not to mention injuries that delay training for your next fight) if you know you're out.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lmfao again and forever at you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Cachoeira's thought process must have been interesting during that fight.

"Hmm, I'm really getting the poo poo beaten out of me here. Sure hope someone puts a stop to this."

/30 seconds later

"Oh gently caress"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

david carmichael posted:

It is stupid to ever expect a corner to call a fight, to the point where we should just forget that its even a thing that can theoretically happen.

Shevchenko got mounted crucifix twice for prolonged face-punching sessions where it was not possible to defend, and Mario just stood there and watched. It was easily one of the worst-reffed fights I had ever seen.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Cachoeira's thought process must have been interesting during that fight.

"Hmm, I'm really getting the poo poo beaten out of me here. Sure hope someone puts a stop to this."

/30 seconds later

"Oh gently caress"

Actually her brain was rattling around in her skull so much I highly doubt there was any cognitive thought going on. The only time the lights stopped dimming were probably when Mario was yelling at her "Be a warrior, move"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Judo Jim

quote:

“USADA announced today that UFC athlete Jim Wallhead, of Loughborough, United Kingdom, accepted a nine-month sanction after testing positive for a prohibited substance from a contaminated supplement.

“Wallhead, 33, tested positive for ostarine and its metabolite following an out-of-competition test conducted on October 7, 2017. Ostarine is a non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents and prohibited at all times under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, which has adopted the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List.

“Ostarine, also known as MK-2866 and Enobosarm, is a non-FDA approved selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) that is illegally sold worldwide as a performance-enhancing substance. Ostarine is not currently available as a prescription medication in any country, and its unauthorized use may carry serious side effects. Nonetheless, ostarine has been found as a declared and undeclared ingredient in many dietary supplements, which has prompted the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to issue warning letters to specific dietary supplement manufacturers stating that ostarine is an unapproved new drug and that selling the drug is in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. More information about the risks of ostarine can be found through a USADA athlete advisory.

“Following notification of his positive test, Wallhead provided USADA with information about a dietary supplement product he was using at the time of the relevant sample collection. Although no prohibited substances were listed on the supplement label, testing conducted on an independently sourced, unopened container of the product by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, indicated that it contained ostarine. The presence of an undisclosed prohibited substance in a product is regarded as contamination. Accordingly, the product has since been added to the High Risk List of supplements maintained on USADA’s online dietary supplement safety education and awareness resource – Supplement 411 (https://www.supplement411.org).

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
people need to start suing over this ostarine poo poo, how many has this been now?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

people need to start suing over this ostarine poo poo, how many has this been now?

Durdy Burt, Rolo, and now Hudo Him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/NiedzwiedzMMA/status/960983735985459200

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jessica-Rose Clark?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Card this weekend is low key sick. Adesanya making his mma debut, the wrong dhk, the Chinese guy is pretty cool, tuivasa could end up being a loving wrecking ball, and ishihara and Pearson on the prelims. I feel like I remember Jake Matthew's being talked up a lot too.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Adesanya is primarily a kickboxer but Wu Lin Feng, the promotion he fought under in China, also held MMA rules fights, and he's splattered a bunch of people there under MMA rules

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Nierbo posted:

Judo Jim

Why in yhe world would he still get 9 months for being drugged

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't get that either - they found a drug in his system, they found proof that the drug was in there through no fault of his own, so why is he getting banned from fighting? So he'll learn the lesson not to get accidentally drugged by a food product that doesn't correctly list what is inside of it and isn't on any prohibited lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Aren't they supposed to supply the USADA with a list of any supplements they're taking? I wonder if he didn't disclose this one until after the positive test.

• Locked thread