Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

The world be a lot better off if all studios pushed those levers as far as they'll go and broke 'em off, imo.

*monkey's paw slowly curls upwards*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

tsob posted:

Seriously? Wow, industry hit it hard so obviously. Has that been said in show and I just missed it or something?

There was a map when they discussed meeting up with another plantation ("kissing") showing the coastline from Tokyo to Fukushima.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh hey, regarding the show's mecha designer, Shigeto Koyama, it had slipped my mind earlier but he's also the man behind Inferno Cop's visuals.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chev posted:

Oh hey, regarding the show's mecha designer, Shigeto Koyama, it had slipped my mind earlier but he's also the man behind Inferno Cop's visuals.

NANI?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Getting away from politcalitis for a bit:

still making smug Strelizia because this is really fun to draw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Good

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
That robot is thicc af

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

tsob posted:

I took it that the nines were the pilots numbered 01 to 09 i.e. the single digits and elite of the elite; with 02 obviously being one and them wanting her to back to them. Not a squad all sharing a number. Which would make identification hard if nothing else, since the pilots are apparently known by their numbers in most instances. If they just called 09 in battle, how would the kids know who they meant within the squad?

In battle they'd refer to each other by the name of the FranXX they are piloting. Pretty sure we've already seen that with the main cast?

It's also possible that the nines aren't a combat unit as such, more a collection of trouble shooters who act individually, therefore wouldn't need to talk to each other in battle. Which would make sense given that 002 was pulled back on her own for the ceremony in ep 1.

Furthermore, maybe as an elite unit they'd be granted names or at least callsigns? We know that not everyone in the hosed up society is referred to by numbers (Papa, Dr FranXX, Nana and Hachi). Possibly the reason 002 hasn't been named despite being elite is because the higher ups think of her as just a monster due to being not 100% human.

To be fair this is all speculation, we're only 4 episodes in.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

In battle they'd refer to each other by the name of the FranXX they are piloting. Pretty sure we've already seen that with the main cast?

It's also possible that the nines aren't a combat unit as such, more a collection of trouble shooters who act individually, therefore wouldn't need to talk to each other in battle. Which would make sense given that 002 was pulled back on her own for the ceremony in ep 1.

Furthermore, maybe as an elite unit they'd be granted names or at least callsigns? We know that not everyone in the hosed up society is referred to by numbers (Papa, Dr FranXX, Nana and Hachi). Possibly the reason 002 hasn't been named despite being elite is because the higher ups think of her as just a monster due to being not 100% human.

To be fair this is all speculation, we're only 4 episodes in.

Nana and Hachi are just 7 and 8 respectively and Doctor Franxx might just be named after the Franxx.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Nana and Hachi are just 7 and 8 respectively and Doctor Franxx might just be named after the Franxx.

Other than the number pun in their names is there anything in the show to indicate Nana and Hachi are former parasites? If they really were 007 and 008 shouldn't they be out there fighting monsters? They're clearly younger than 002's partner we see at the start (life draining notwithstanding) so can't have been retired due to age.

Which leads to a few theories:

1. They are ex-parasites who lost their partners or FranXX and rather than being re-assigned became trainers for the next generation (which seems unlikely as all APE seems to care about are the numbers so would have just forced them to partner with someone else).

2. Everyone (or possibly only Orphans) is just given a number at birth regardless of what they get trained as and if they grow old enough (or are deemed useful enough) will earn a name. Possibly Nana and Hachi had a friend who was their version of Hiro who named them.

3. There's no in-universe reason for it and the writers just wanted to be consistent with giving characters number puns for names.

1 & 2 kinda strengthen the idea of the nines having individual names or callsigns which they use for each other but APE doesn't care and just refers to them collectively.

re Dr FranXX there's two main possibilities for that:

1. It's his original name and he created the robots so they are named after him

2. He discovered the robots, found out they were called FranXX and wound up named after them for his work on them.

Either way it's highly likely he's an ex-parasite and most likely 002's original stamen til she wound up life draining him badly enough to need cyborg bits, and APE actually considered him important enough to not just get used up fully unlike her subsequent partners. In this case that's more weight for 'important people get names regardless of their number'.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This show is good also there will be no homosexual relationships in this anime

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

tsob posted:

I took it that the nines were the pilots numbered 01 to 09 i.e. the single digits and elite of the elite; with 02 obviously being one and them wanting her to back to them. Not a squad all sharing a number. Which would make identification hard if nothing else, since the pilots are apparently known by their numbers in most instances. If they just called 09 in battle, how would the kids know who they meant within the squad?

Two people can be named John and fight in the same unit, this is kinda silly.

Also yea, the FranXX name makes for a convenient battle-time unique nickname.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
When there are two people named John in a crowd, they're usually called by last names, nick names or full names. Not just John, with clarification provided after two of them turn. FranXX pilots apparently have none of those in most cases, so identifying a particular one seems like it'd be more troublesome. Not impossible, just annoying and like the kind of thing you'd eventually just start using names or something for instead of shared numbers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kashuno posted:

these two statements contradict each other

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kashuno posted:

hmm...bold prediction. let's see how this plays out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

these two statements contradict each other

idk a show can be good or bad and not have homosexual relationships, just like a show can be good or bad and have homosexual relationships!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

betting odds:

gay male couple - 5/1
gay female couple: 8/1
crossdressing character that people have discourse about whether or not they're trans: 1/2
trans character: 40/1
agender character: 38/1
scene where the girls kiss without them being a couple: 3/1
scene where the guys kiss without them being a couple: 6/1
bernie sanders: 12/1

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

betting odds:

gay male couple - 5/1
gay female couple: 8/1
crossdressing character that people have discourse about whether or not they're trans: 1/2
trans character: 40/1
agender character: 38/1
scene where the girls kiss without them being a couple: 3/1
scene where the guys kiss without them being a couple: 6/1
bernie sanders: 12/1

Put me down for an AV certificate on gay female couple, I'm feeling lucky tonight

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

I'm putting it all on black

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will buy the top 5 posters in this thread an av cert if there is a non-heterosexual franxx piloting

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I will buy the top 5 posters in this thread an av cert if there is a non-heterosexual franxx piloting

Buy yourself a clue

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i need a lot more manga chapters to get scanlated so i can boost my posts in this thread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

Buy yourself a clue

:wow:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a way higher chance of a lesbian couple than a gay male one...i disagree with these odds.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Buy yourself a clue

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
gamblers in the FranXX

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I agree with the second part of this post but for some reason this post seems weird to me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a way higher chance of a lesbian couple than a gay male one...i disagree with these odds.

I think the male odds are -5/1

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Put me down for Bernie Sanders

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This, I would have taken those points in a heartbeat lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gay odds are 6/9

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

kaworu/shinji. checkmate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GodFish posted:

Put me down for Bernie Sanders
:bernget20:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 6, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Previews are on thursdays, right? I wonder if 02 and Hiro just ran away.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really doubt Hiro is the kind to do that. Even if he has no attachment to Plantation 13, he seems the kind to want to help the other parasites and to not leave until he's done what he can for them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm actually curious what "running away" means in the context of this setting. From what we've seen so far most of Japan seems to be a lovely blasted wasteland desert and the plantations are the only habitations, so even if there weren't giant dinosaur monsters running around there wouldn't really be anywhere to run to. I guess the intro in the first ep had some trees in a snowfield?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'm actually curious what "running away" means in the context of this setting. From what we've seen so far most of Japan seems to be a lovely blasted wasteland desert and the plantations are the only habitations, so even if there weren't giant dinosaur monsters running around there wouldn't really be anywhere to run to. I guess the intro in the first ep had some trees in a snowfield?

Depends how far and how fast the Strellizia can fly, I guess. Maybe the rest of the world is less poo poo than Japan?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

"Running away" doesn't neccesarily have to mean they're running to anywhere in particular. For all we know, beyond the Plantations, there could be pockets of society that reject the current world order or something. Or maybe they'll just live wherever, getting food as they can, separate from the world.

The main issue with it is clearly that this is a society of absolute control, where the Parasites exist entirely to pilot FranXX and die in battle. 02 is dangerous because she has self-determination, she isn't chained down by the rules already set in stone, and she clearly cares about herself and Hiro as people instead of seeing themselves as tools whose value is entirely based around how good they are at going on near-suicidal runs on giant robots against dinorobots. Even Hiro and the rest are seen as "irregulars", most likely because Hiro himself has made them realize they exist as people by giving them names, even if all of them still care mostly about piloting giant robots for the sake of old people, and Hiro especially sees no value whatsoever in his life beyond piloting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Running away" doesn't neccesarily have to mean they're running to anywhere in particular. For all we know, beyond the Plantations, there could be pockets of society that reject the current world order or something. Or maybe they'll just live wherever, getting food as they can, separate from the world.

The main issue with it is clearly that this is a society of absolute control, where the Parasites exist entirely to pilot FranXX and die in battle. 02 is dangerous because she has self-determination, she isn't chained down by the rules already set in stone, and she clearly cares about herself and Hiro as people instead of seeing themselves as tools whose value is entirely based around how good they are at going on near-suicidal runs on giant robots against dinorobots. Even Hiro and the rest are seen as "irregulars", most likely because Hiro himself has made them realize they exist as people by giving them names, even if all of them still care mostly about piloting giant robots for the sake of old people, and Hiro especially sees no value whatsoever in his life beyond piloting.

A blasted hellscape wasteland world infested with giant monsters that can only barely be beaten by advanced giant robots doesn't seem like a world where you'd kind of just have a town up in the mountains doing their own thing. If there were theoretical safe havens from the dinosaurs or places that weren't lovely blasted hellscapes, why wouldn't the council just use their advanced military technology to take those and live there?

• Locked thread