Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

The main quest ends with a big battle like 3 and New Vegas; for that you need someone who you can say "ok let's have the big battle now" to

I don't see why that someone can't be yourself. If you're going the "Kill everyone and conquer the wastes" route, it makes sense to finish it off with the remnants of all the other factions banding together to take you down in one giant, glorious battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tranquility Lane was fun. That's...really all I even remember about Fallout 3, besides Three Dog (and the possibility of killing Three Dog, forever changing the radio jabber to "Some maniac killed Three Dog, deepest apologies that humanity is trash")

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How do you forget Bethesda's greatest gift to gaming: Subway Hat

An ingenious hack, I'll admit.

The thing I remember most from 3 was just picking through the ruins, there were some interesting places hidden around and the downtown cells were well detailed. It's too bad they had to torture their engine to the point of breaking so it would run on an Xbox, the probably wanted to be a lot more ambitious.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a clever workaround, though it's most notorious for showing just how antiquated Bethesda's main engine is at this point. I mean, most engines available dont need to spoof every moving model into a fully-statted NPC. It makes me wonder what crazy poo poo is going on to make the elevator in the tower Strong is located in work; it would be hilarious if there exists item_elevatorshoes that purposefully break skeleton animations so the NPC can hover downwards.

I understand engine building is a PITA in of itself, let alone one with comprehensive and intuitive build tools available to both developers and modders, but their parent company kind of owns Id and has made Skyrim money on 6 platforms at this point.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 6, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glazius posted:

The fusion reactor, powered soil water pump, and decontamination arch are also useful to have. The various traps are at least simple to set up and use.

Oh, right...I forgot those are in the factory. Yeah the fusion reactor is god damned fantastic.

Speaking of which...the Vault DLC has an even better fusion reactor that craps out an obscene amount of power. Forgot about that DLC; it's another one with a lot of fun toys. It's also worth playing through once just for Clem.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even New Vegas is reliant on an NPC to advance you to the final battle. You can kill everyone, but Yes Man will always respawn. There is a clever story reason behind this but in terms of mechanics its the same thing as Bethesda having a fallback NPC for when players cut off every other option.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How do you forget Bethesda's greatest gift to gaming: Subway Hat

An ingenious hack, I'll admit.

The thing I remember most from 3 was just picking through the ruins, there were some interesting places hidden around and the downtown cells were well detailed. It's too bad they had to torture their engine to the point of breaking so it would run on an Xbox, the probably wanted to be a lot more ambitious.

Seeing how Bethesda's games work under the hood can be both amazing and horrifying. A good example is how statues of the player in Oblivion and Skyrim are actually NPCs with special scripts. If you gently caress with scripts (or if they fail to load properly), those statues come to life and its terrifying.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenIntelligentAyeayeRlyTho

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The slideshows actually consist of your model being locked staring at a screen, with an NPC standing off to the side providing narration.

Similarly, World of Warcraft was only built to handle objectives being completed by killing or collecting objects and so it creates and kills invisible bunnies whenever it needs to do anything more complex.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Seeing how Bethesda's games work under the hood can be both amazing and horrifying. A good example is how statues of the player in Oblivion and Skyrim are actually NPCs with special scripts. If you gently caress with scripts (or if they fail to load properly), those statues come to life and its terrifying.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenIntelligentAyeayeRlyTho

And FYI, they bug out all the drat time. Usually you don't see them move, but they'll have changed position when you come home.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
With all the DLC chat, I went ahead and added a DLC section to the OP. Let me know if I missed anything! And I'll just pre-emptively say it: gently caress you guys, the Pitt was good.

Reality Loser posted:

After the clumsiness of the first project purity quest, I don't know if I can continue on to Waypoint Zeta. Dad, get off the intercom and help me. Why not give me the fuses right away. I'm stuck in a pipe and the enclave are landing. Why can't I open this door. Ugh.

Point Lookout was okay though. I liked the redneck models.

It's probably too late unless you have a recent save, but there's a neat trick during the whole 'bad dad kills self and Enclave guys' cutscene that even works on consoles; if you go into third person mode, stand right up against the glass and rotate the camera, you can loot Colonel Autumn's unique 10mm pistol and his baller jacket, which I rocked for the rest of the game. You can also loot James' clothes, which is only noteworthy in that it inexplicably weighs like twenty pounds more than every other vault suit in the game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

And FYI, they bug out all the drat time. Usually you don't see them move, but they'll have changed position when you come home.

That is creepy as Hell, I love it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One time I made a Skyrim mod that had a living mannequin companion that could talk and follow you around etc, which I installed on my brother's PC without him knowing. He was very upset when he found it and refused to play until I deleted it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That is creepy as Hell, I love it.

Its an "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" scenario but you get to dress the victim up in silly costumes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chitoryu12 posted:

The slideshows actually consist of your model being locked staring at a screen, with an NPC standing off to the side providing narration.

this was great the first time I ever beat NV and for some reason the script telling the NPCs to stop walking around broke or didn't fire, so I got the narrator and Cass wandering all over the screen while the slideshow played. it was weird as all hell.

on my second playthrough, a mega rad scorpion from the gulch north of good springs wandered into town during the gunfight with the powder gangers and loving wrecked everyone and I couldn't even kill it so I just had to run away from good springs and not go back for several hours of play time. when I finally did go back with better weapons, it had despawned

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IIRC you could also screw with it by taking drugs that apply screen filters before the slideshows started.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

this was great the first time I ever beat NV and for some reason the script telling the NPCs to stop walking around broke or didn't fire, so I got the narrator and Cass wandering all over the screen while the slideshow played. it was weird as all hell.

I had that one power armour Remnant guy follow me into the final battle, help me out killing Lanius, then stomp all over my ending slides. Cheers fella.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I started just running backwards from Lanius in the final battle so Cannibal Johnson would run right into him and get cut up. Sorry Cannibal, but I don't want you ruining my slideshow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolfsheim posted:

With all the DLC chat, I went ahead and added a DLC section to the OP. Let me know if I missed anything! And I'll just pre-emptively say it: gently caress you guys, the Pitt was good.

The Pitt rules but it sucks a lot that if you manage to successfully fight and defeat the slavers in the foundry that you can't just force your way to Ashur and win in an alternate way that way; it's one of the hardest things to do in the game and fun as hell to improvise your way to victory but the game just puts up a wall and says "no stop it, do the quest".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So basically the ending to Fallout 3 proper before they patched it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Freaking Crumbum posted:

on my second playthrough, a mega rad scorpion from the gulch north of good springs wandered into town during the gunfight with the powder gangers and loving wrecked everyone and I couldn't even kill it so I just had to run away from good springs and not go back for several hours of play time. when I finally did go back with better weapons, it had despawned

Its baffling to me that Obsidian decided to put a bunch of high level enemies right next to the baby zone and didn't bother to make sure their patrol paths didn't cross into it. I was messing around at the monument just outside of town when I saw a loving DEATHCLAW MOTHER behind me. I was level 3. I didn't even know about the deathclaw infested quarry so I was really confused as to why that was there.

That same deathclaw mother showed up in another run when I visited the quarry entrance. it was patrolling straight through the little settlement, and the construction worker who warns you about the deathclaws was right in its path. He pulled out his sledgehammer and charged straight towards it. He was a brave man but also a very stupid one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I believe the memorial is right on the edge between the safe space and the murder zone. That a Deathclaw managed to get up there is weird, but then, far stranger bugs have happened in New Vegas.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

RBA Starblade posted:

The Pitt rules but it sucks a lot that if you manage to successfully fight and defeat the slavers in the foundry that you can't just force your way to Ashur and win in an alternate way that way; it's one of the hardest things to do in the game and fun as hell to improvise your way to victory but the game just puts up a wall and says "no stop it, do the quest".

Haha, I never even considered trying this. And yeah, the plot and choices are dumb; if you go the good route (which presumably most people did) then you save a bunch of no-name slaves, kill all the unique characters and then the slaves...still keep working at the mill and living in their crappy ground-level slaves' quarters? It's just feels really unfinished, like they wanted you to side with the slavers instead (which I did every other playthrough).

It almost feels like a prototype for Nuka-World with all it's funny named raiders and confusing expectation you'll side against the slaves, but I really love the level-design and the fact that all the loot it gives you is correctly balanced instead of ridiculously overpowered (Anchorage) or underwhelming garbage for the level you're supposed to play it at (Point Lookout, Zeta).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Point Lookout was my favorite Fallout 3 DLC because shooting redneck mutants is amusing.

But actually its because I love the swamp aesthetic. Swamps are cool.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't think I ever sided with the slaves when doing The Pitt but then again I probably only played through it 3 or 4 times over the years.

The story seemed very much geared towards 'do the ends justify the means?' in how it was laid out. And Ashur seemed to have a sold plan and reasoning behind the things he was doing. Would it actually work out like that in the end? Who knows. But the alternative was murdering a baby and hoping Wernher kept his end of the bargain as he played amateur alchemist. As far as Bethesda stories go it's the closest they've gotten to creating a grey area after sufficiently muddying the waters between what is otherwise an obviously good vs. evil plot.

Edit: yes, they did do a good job with Point Lookout, too. It was the most solid DLC they put for 3. The bullet sponge enemies got old fast though. Thank god for the /kill console command.

You could see they tried to replicate some of that in Far Harbor as well.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Internet Kraken posted:

Point Lookout was my favorite Fallout 3 DLC because shooting redneck mutants is amusing.

No, it's because you get to join a lefitimately interesting hero, fighting against an actual psychic giant brain in a jar bent on world domination.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 6, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The majority of point lookout felt kind of weird in Fallout. Like the developers were coming up with fallout DLC ideas and had just finished marathoning Lovecraft.

There's a continuation of it in 4 as well, with the Dunwich Borers place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bethesda just likes putting Lovecraft references in their games. TES basically has an entire god dedicated to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, Oblivion had a Shadows Over Innsmouth quest that was pretty good too. Of course, in Oblivion everyone had the Innsmouth look. :v:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd love a Fallout set in the swamps of Louisiana. Shame that Obsidian's location scouting down there was not for a Fallout game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It is the sacred duty of all my Fallout characters to Kill All Slavers. All the time. No exceptions.

Never sided with slavers or the Legion. Never will.

Taking out Metzger in 2 when you first encounter him is always a fun challenge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hypno gun you get from the slavers in Fallout 3 was pretty cool.

dragonshardz posted:

I'd love a Fallout set in the swamps of Louisiana. Shame that Obsidian's location scouting down there was not for a Fallout game.

I think the best location for the next Fallout would be Florida. Lots of potential for new experiences there.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

That part of Louisiana would be the same after the bombs fall.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Fintilgin posted:

It is the sacred duty of all my Fallout characters to Kill All Slavers. All the time. No exceptions.

Never sided with slavers or the Legion. Never will.

Taking out Metzger in 2 when you first encounter him is always a fun challenge.

By 'kill' do you mean 'sleep with to get a discount on buying Vic and then later sell your unwanted spouse to him at a profit' :confused:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the best location for the next Fallout would be Florida. Lots of potential for new experiences there.

Only if the hero of kvatch/dragonborn/lone wanderer/tribal/courier player nickname was Florida Man/Woman, established after a historian religious cult that collects newspapers sees you leaving the vault.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I have no idea what the profit margin is on playing nice with Metzger, but it can't be more than all the assorted loot you wind up with for killing him and his gang.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd like a Texan Fallout with all the Texan cliches turned up to 11.

Set it in Dallas-Ft Worth with the two cities at endless war.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 7, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
At least then they'd finally have a reason to bring back cars. You'd probably still be stuck in traffic though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus Houston DLC for the obvious joke. "Man, the nukes really did a number on this place" "Oh, Houston wasn't nuked! It was just like this."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MikeJF posted:

Plus Houston DLC for the obvious joke. "Man, the nukes really did a number on this place" "Oh, Houston wasn't nuked! It was just like this."

Fallout Michigan and Fallout Florida write themselves, really

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I actually really like Nuka World despite it's story. Just treating the whole thing as a Murder Sandbox is pretty good, there's a lot of interesting setpiece design. Of course, you can play along with the raiders to see how the quests unfold as well. It's silly at times and I never finished it but I did enjoy the worldspace, weapons, armor, new mutated enemies, arcade games and whatever else. Plus, there is a mod to let you progress through the whole storyline without turning settlements into raider camps, so you can see how it plays out without Preston getting all pissy. Overall I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing through it, even if just to murder raiders for a few hours.

Automatron is a lot shorter, but I like the enemy variety that rust devil patrols adds, and you can give Codsworth sexy legs for no good reason, so I also think it's a fine addition.

I even liked Vault-Tec Workshop. Some part of clearing out the cavern scratches some weird scrap OCD itch, and there are some fun surprises. The experiments with Clem can also be pretty funny depending on how you do them.

Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions are pretty much trivial DLCs, though it's handy on survival to use the ammo crafting machines, and the decontamination arch to remove rads. If you like building settlements, you get some more structure types and decorations.

I haven't played through Far Harbor yet, despite everyone saying it's the best one :negative: I remember going there once but my game crashed maybe 3 minutes in. I'm gearing up some mods for my next playthrough, is it better to use Nick my first time or should I use the Gorton Fisherman guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

potaties posted:

so you can see how it plays out without Preston getting all pissy. 

I thought this was the primary appeal of the mod, DLC though?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 7, 2018