Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

i'm having a zooper dooper right now, how many points do i score

A several game suspension from your MCC membership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Chairchucker posted:

I still don't 'get' AFLX. 20Twenty cricket makes sense as a way to make a boring as hell sport somewhat interesting, but AFL is already fast paced enough.

Agreed, the first 10 minutes of most footy games are usually the worst parts until the players find their rhythms

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
At the very least it'll be entertaining to see the AFL try to explain away the obvious train wreck that AFLX is going to be.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

At the very least it'll be entertaining to see the AFL try to explain away the obvious train wreck that AFLX is going to be.

They'll blame it all on the players I'm sure

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

I still don't 'get' AFLX. 20Twenty cricket makes sense as a way to make a boring as hell sport somewhat interesting, but AFL is already fast paced enough.

They're trying to find a way to make people give a poo poo about the preseason. It's sort of worked in that people are talking about it. It probably won't work because no-one's gonna watch that poo poo anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Chairchucker posted:

It's to come up with and popularise a form of the game for overseas where they don't have large ovals and 44 skilled/interested participants.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phillips and Cramey ruled out of the Melbourne game, season over

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So the AFL are being poo poo again.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/je...1d22-1517981243

quote:

THE AFL has sent an extraordinary memo, calling for AFLW coaches to adjust their tactics this weekend in order to reduce congestion.

Foxfooty.com.au has obtained the memo, which was sent by AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking to the eight clubs with AFLW teams, that asks for coaches to instruct less players to surround stoppages in Round 2.

The note was sent after coaches held discussions with AFL executives, including Hocking and AFLW boss Nicole Livingstone, on Wednesday.

“Vegas has plenty of showgirls if they want a ‘performance’ ... but if you want better footy, let the coaches teach it! We are 9 rounds into a competition for goodness sake,” an AFLW club official told foxfooty.com.au.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...23daf2bbb35b935

quote:

Carlton captain Davey on Wednesday said the Blues understood the AFL’s take, but declared that the players are “here to win games” and will do “whatever we need to do to get over the line for that particular game”.

“As players and as teams, we probably don’t really care what it looks like as long as we’re getting that win,” Davey said at the launch of the AFLW Round 4 Pride Game.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/afl-talks-to-aflw-coaches-over-defensive-tactics-20180206-h0uxds.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...40c67ebca6b965d

http://girlsplayfooty.com/2018/02/the-afl-has-no-respect-for-coaches-players-or-the-aflw-as-a-competition.html

quote:

But this has become an attack on the players, an attack on the coaching staff, and an attack on the AFLW as a competitive league, and the fact that the head honchos do not realise that, is not acceptable.

The AFLW was launched in 2017, three years before the expected start. It was understood that the competition would begin in 2020, but the AFL showed ambition in bringing the league forward by three years.

That ambition has turned to quick-fixes as a result of anxiety over issues that aren’t really issues, and worst of all, the introduction of solutions that aren’t really solutions.

Women’s football was fine in 2016. Most leagues played 20 or 25-minute quarters, the play was open, and it was enjoyable to watch. The one knock was that the quality of players in the bottom 75 per cent were well below those in the top 25 per cent, but that comes with the nature of a sport that, while it has 100 years of history, is still budding at an elite level.

Women’s football didn’t need tweaking, it just needed time.

etc.

So they've issued these 'guidelines' to follow and if they are ignored they might introduce zoning in round 3. Mid-season. Just gently caress everything up by changing rules and forcing teams to play a certain style of footy despite them recruiting a strong backline or whatever.

If they introduce mid season rule changes this will also upset the results of the season since the first two games will have been played differently.

Despite all of this 35 goals were kicked in round 1, 7 more than round 1 last year.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 7, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Maybe low scoring has something to do with the fact that our new last touch rule vastly reduced the number of forward 50 stoppages?

No, it’s the coaches who are wrong.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
gently caress sake, why don't they just turn it fully into WWE and script matches if they want it to look and play out a really specific way.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The AFL is totally not corrupt guys

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

The AFL is totally not corrupt guys

Imo this isn’t evidence of corruption but incompetence

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imo this isn’t evidence of corruption but incompetence

That they're incompetent at corruption too

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I want to know more about this David Rath bloke and his "expertise".

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The AFL do some dumb poo poo but they’re honestly one of the least corrupt sporting governing bodies I can think in Australia or otherwise. Not sure how many in here follow soccer closely but they leave the FFA for dead for example.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That's so exceptionally loving stupid.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

King Pawn posted:

That's so exceptionally loving stupid.

Yet completely inline with what you'd expect from the AFL.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
15 minute quarters are one of the reasons why the scoring is garbage. You have literally half the game time of the mens league. Double that score and suddenly two of the four games have reasonable score lines.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

As was said before as well, this league is kind of 120 years younger than the male counterpart - they're not going to have everything nailed down just yet.

Also AFL House is full of morons.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Nutsngum posted:

15 minute quarters are one of the reasons why the scoring is garbage. You have literally half the game time of the mens league. Double that score and suddenly two of the four games have reasonable score lines.

Seriously, was there any real desire from the players or coaches or teams to shorten quarters like that? Or make the footy a half size smaller? Or put in the loving idiotic boundary changes? Heavens forbid AFL House just let the girls plays the game. It'd almost be worth keeping AFLX around if they kept all the stupid rule changes confined to that and left the real matches alone.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That's bullshit from the AFL. I loving hate the way they introduce rule changes that literally change the way the game is played in order to achieve a specific outcome, which inevitably isn't what happens because that outcome isn't conducive to winning matches.

Now they're just straight up telling clubs "lower your chances of winning so the game is prettier".

And while I'm at it, I know I'm not the first to say it, but gently caress the last touch out of bounds rule. For the last few years I've been detailing incredibly lovely scenarios in which that leads to an unwarranted free kick and what do you know, we got to see almost all of them in the same match with Brisbane vs Crows. And it's made even worse in a league with weaker skills than the AFL mens league. They should get rid of that rule from this week forward and issue a public apology for being loving morons.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It sure makes for a great spectacle watching a player shepherd the ball out of bounds when both they and an opponent have plenty of time to take possession, and being rewarded for it with a free kick.

It's excellent when a kick to a loose forward is slightly overcooked and ends up dribbling out of bounds and a defender gets a free kick for it. Much more exciting than a stoppage ten metres from goal!

I love watching a player put their body on the line in a one-on-three situation in the defensive pocket, win the ball, boot it down the line, only to have it bounce left instead of right and have a free kick result, completely nullifying their sacrifice and effort. Guess they should have booted it into the middle of the defensive 50 instead and hoped it wasn't marked by a forward!

It's brilliant when a speedy player gets the ball, decides to take on a defender by running past them boundary side, handballs to the ground to avoid being tackled with the ball, and it goes left and now it's a free kick against.

And it's awesome when there is a sudden turnover, the ball is kicked to your closest teammate to goal, and they look forward and realise the goals are 60m away and there are two defenders ahead of them. They can't really expect to run past them, and the goals are too far away. No point going forward because the only options are the ball goes out of bounds and it's a free kick against, or it stays in and they collect it anyway. Bad luck! Nice turnover, though! Guess you should just turn around and kick the ball backwards to a contest instead!

Thanks for improving the spectacle, AFL! You loving pills.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 8, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think the shorter quarters are at least in part because they’re playing in February and are not full time professional athletes?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, although they moved a lot of games to the evening.

They also reduced the length of breaks (because of the 2 mins of time on... yeah) and reduced the number of players on the bench, which could easily be reversed when quarters are back at 20min with or without time on.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the shorter quarters are at least in part because they’re playing in February and are not full time professional athletes?

Im a oval office who can barely run on two shoddy Achiles tendons with asthma who spends fridays before the game smoking durries and drinking piss and I can still run out 4 x 25minute quarters (no time on warming the bench in the ressies mate) so that excuse is grade A dick beating.

cmndstab posted:

It sure makes for a great spectacle watching a player shepherd the ball out of bounds when both they and an opponent have plenty of time to take possession, and being rewarded for it with a free kick.

It's excellent when a kick to a loose forward is slightly overcooked and ends up dribbling out of bounds and a defender gets a free kick for it. Much more exciting than a stoppage ten metres from goal!

I love watching a player put their body on the line in a one-on-three situation in the defensive pocket, win the ball, boot it down the line, only to have it bounce left instead of right and have a free kick result, completely nullifying their sacrifice and effort. Guess they should have booted it into the middle of the defensive 50 instead and hoped it wasn't marked by a forward!

It's brilliant when a speedy player gets the ball, decides to take on a defender by running past them boundary side, handballs to the ground to avoid being tackled with the ball, and it goes left and now it's a free kick against.

And it's awesome when there is a sudden turnover, the ball is kicked to your closest teammate to goal, and they look forward and realise the goals are 60m away and there are two defenders ahead of them. They can't really expect to run past them, and the goals are too far away. No point going forward because the only options are the ball goes out of bounds and it's a free kick against, or it stays in and they collect it anyway. Bad luck! Nice turnover, though! Guess you should just turn around and kick the ball backwards to a contest instead!

Thanks for improving the spectacle, AFL! You loving pills.

This oval office knows whats up.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I missed most of the discussion since I moved house last week and have finally gotten the net hooked up in the new crib.

Sort of wanted to weigh in on the toots but I figured it'd attract too many mansplainers.

- From what I can see most of the problem is skill and decision errors; that's not a slight on the women, it's just because with men they basically have a whole development pathway through the youth stages and train 5 days a week for most of the year, whereas before the AFLW was set up we had the women's state leagues which for the most part about on the same level as VAFA, last year's setup was actually pretty rushed with teams being thrown together and not really being given time to cohere. Give them more time to develop those skills and team plans, they'll get better for sure.

It'll take a few years to get there I think - we do have to be patient. Although the Carl v Coll game was a bit rough some of the other matches seemed to be better scoring so I think we'll see a general improvement this season over last. Without any dumb directives from AFL House needed.

I also reckon the time-on rules need to be the same as the men's league. Maybe still have the quarters 15 minutes, but in actual terms that'll work out to be 21-23 minutes. But they could also easily be 20 minutes without too many problems, except for broadcasters' schedules I suspect.

And god the boundary rules need to be switched back to the default as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Just saw that Carlton vs Western Bulldogs in round 4 is the pride game. What a loving joke that Carlton are getting it when they released a statement saying that they were going to pick sit on the fence and not pick sides.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Just saw that Carlton vs Western Bulldogs in round 4 is the pride game. What a loving joke that Carlton are getting it when they released a statement saying that they were going to pick sit on the fence and not pick sides.

Should have been Carlton v melb to make it even dumber

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

I guess it depends on how many gay women play for Carlton. If theyre are more then other teams it would make sense.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Our captain is in a gay relationship with a teammate (from before they were both drafted), is yours?

Also the lovely statement from the board was because they didn't get a unanimous vote (probably the old hag jeanne pratt voting no) but the team cares and pushed for this too, I guess.

Anyway, gameday! Arnell has been dropped, zero touches last week and didn't run very fast. Might be carrying an injury or something who knows. It might be hard for her to get back into the side given there are no seconds to play in during the season.

Dasiy Pearce wrote this good thing too: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/daisy-pearce-dont-wallow-in-aflw-negativity-20180208-h0vskb.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Daisy Pearce is cool and good. She took up a similar approach in her segment with Gerard yesterday and you could hear how frustrated she was at the AFL for fuelling this view that the comp isn’t good enough and needs intervention.

I want daisy to be able to retire a premiership captain even more than I want jack Viney to

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Raining in sydney now. Going to be a scrappy match.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not on tv. Cool.

Edit. Better homes and gardens, muppets, bargain hunt or wild hogs

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

realbez posted:

Not on tv. Cool.

Edit. Better homes and gardens, muppets, bargain hunt or wild hogs

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/aflw-round-two-watch-it-live

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Carn the giants

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ty

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lightning delay at quarter time. Players are in the room, it is pissing down and then fox footy feed went to static and cut out, listening to ABC and you can hear thunder over the top of the commentary.

Super wet game whwn it resumes. Fair number of people there too, some will go home I guess.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Simon Dalrymple has left the Dogs for Sydney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Play resumed

Fox off the air still, their gear got wet.

E: fox back but no commentary according to a chyron.