Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think this is pretty much the lowest you can go

http://portal.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/product/4203600L1%23TDM/124

Patton have some stuff as well, their product design is horrible and everything looks like an electronics project, but I've had great experiences with their ATA hardware so maybe this is also good?

https://www.patton.com/ethernet-bridges/os2701ai/

https://www.patton.com/products/product_detail.asp?id=182

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

Any specific model recommendations on the Adtran side? It's hard to determine exactly which are the lowest end models in their scheme and I only really know the TA600 and TA900 series.

Single T1 data to ethernet?
Total Access 904 #4212904L1
Total Access 600R #4203600L1

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We use 908's, the T1 is used for data and VOIP, they work perfectly and they are pretty tanky as we have them in some poo poo environments and they are generally fine as long as someone doesn't go loving nuts and power on/off repeatedly.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If you care to think outside the box a bit:

http://www.rad.com/10/Miniature-Ethernet-to-E3-T3-Remote-Bridge/2557/

It's an embedded device with an os to be handle the t1 side yet looks like a standard SFP to the switch/router you have it plugged in to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, I love the TA900s and have abused the poo poo out of a few of them (my test setup at home has one literally held together with duct tape), I'm just hoping to find something cheaper. The Patton boxes definitely look interesting, I'm going to check in to those.

falz posted:

If you care to think outside the box a bit:

http://www.rad.com/10/Miniature-Ethernet-to-E3-T3-Remote-Bridge/2557/

It's an embedded device with an os to be handle the t1 side yet looks like a standard SFP to the switch/router you have it plugged in to.

Very interesting, but it appears to be for passing ethernet over T1 in a point to point configuration rather than internet service. It may be compatible with a provider using Cisco HDLC encapsulation though, not entirely sure. Worth sending them an email though, because I do have a few supported routers with SFP ports in which this could theoretically work.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 6, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
In other news, LibreNMS is pretty damned nice.

My secret shame:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

CrazyLittle posted:

My secret shame:

We had basically this, but it was a critical part of serving 911 calls. :v:

Thanks poor documentation from acquisitions! We didn't even knew it existed until a CO tech asked us about it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

My secret shame:

My core switches are around 5 years of uptime. We got dinged on an exam for them being unpatched :/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
We are currently using Observium for network monitoring. It works decently but the developer is kind of a dick and it's difficult to get bug fixes etc. Thinking of moving to LibreNMS, any other options that may be better?

Looking for dashboards, syslog aggregation, alerting, interface utilization graphing, traffic billing etc. Mixed environment of Arista, Juniper, A10, mostly high end stuff, with a few low end "cisco" switches for ipmi.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So I run network support for an Intel LANFest LAN twice yearly. So far one of the programmers has been doing network applications (dhcp, dns, routing etc). We have a budget of zero for equipment , all out of pocket . I have been using avaya era 5500 series equipment because it is cheap and performs well, though I am now facing failing power supplies. Edge is a mix of garbage 3com super stack and various HP low level switches.

I’d like to run policing , someday NAC and scanning (since a LAN could be a malware gangbang), and routing. The 5500 probably won’t do that for ~275 users and 400Mbps internet symmetric.

A 3945E is out of the question cash wise, but I can often scare up older i5/i7 machines. What can I accomplish with white boxing something that anyone could recommend? We have been using pfsense and it does work - I have no idea how to configure it’s shaping . Should I learn that? Is there better?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

I think if your interface module to slot compatibility guide has to have 19 footnotes for 7 interface modules you may have made some poor design decisions. You know there are 19 more that aren't documented.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FatCow posted:

I think if your interface module to slot compatibility guide has to have 19 footnotes for 7 interface modules you may have made some poor design decisions. You know there are 19 more that aren't documented.

New 15454's looking good.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

New 15454's looking good.

Looks about the same number of notes as the original XC/XC-VT equipped 15454 shelves.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
We're racking our first one in the lab early next week, so here is hoping. Not doing anything a 15454 can't do, but Cisco matched price and couldn't provide transmux cards except as a refirb. Everyone call your Level3/CL rep and tell them you want channelized circuits delivered as pseudowires. I feel like I'm the only one asking for this.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

FatCow posted:

We're racking our first one in the lab early next week, so here is hoping. Not doing anything a 15454 can't do, but Cisco matched price and couldn't provide transmux cards except as a refirb. Everyone call your Level3/CL rep and tell them you want channelized circuits delivered as pseudowires. I feel like I'm the only one asking for this.

No DS3 transmux cards on the NCS? And getting channelized circuits over pseudowire? Geez it was hard enough getting vt1.5 mapped OC3 and OC12s.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So glad I didn't go the telecom route even though that was my intro to networking at my Cisco internship.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

ragzilla posted:

No DS3 transmux cards on the NCS? And getting channelized circuits over pseudowire? Geez it was hard enough getting vt1.5 mapped OC3 and OC12s.

vt1.5 was hard because they had to burn transmux somewhere, and god help you before you could do portless and DS3XM-12s.

No more new transmux cards for the 454, Cisco was only able to sell me refirb. NCS can transmux pretty much everything because all the circuits are packet in the middle. There are limits, but they are pretty obscene if your end game is dropping DS3s out of SONET rings like mine is.

TDM is awesome, Ethernet is too easy. It's fun to explain why we have a device that runs out of cesium every 8 years to a developer.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Please explain this gear to me, I feel like I’m reading a different language on this page. I haven’t done any serious networking in about two years, only voip.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Second. That sounds like some crazy optical carrier poo poo FatCow and I would like to know more.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

All I can say with any of it is yeah clocks

Who got the clock

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FatCow posted:

vt1.5 was hard because they had to burn transmux somewhere, and god help you before you could do portless and DS3XM-12s.

No more new transmux cards for the 454, Cisco was only able to sell me refirb. NCS can transmux pretty much everything because all the circuits are packet in the middle. There are limits, but they are pretty obscene if your end game is dropping DS3s out of SONET rings like mine is.

TDM is awesome, Ethernet is too easy. It's fun to explain why we have a device that runs out of cesium every 8 years to a developer.

Is PTP not a good enough replacement for having an on-board Cesium clock? I thought even with super low-drift clocks, nodes would have to resync their timing occasionally anyway seems like you should be able to replace BITS or something with it.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

FatCow posted:

I feel like I'm the only one asking for this.

Most of the industry went the route of doing MEF E-NNIs and being agnostic about the endpoint encapsulation.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Me (and I think Rag too) work on the side of things that lets people do 'only voip.'

Is PTP not a good enough replacement for having an on-board Cesium clock? I thought even with super low-drift clocks, nodes would have to resync their timing occasionally anyway seems like you should be able to replace BITS or something with it.

PTP can carry a high quality clock source, but it's not going to be able to generate the high quality clock source. Honestly, BITS is so cheap and easy for my application PTP is more hassle than it's worth. We got some TimeProvider 1100s like 8 years ago, wire wrapped a bunch of T1s, and hooked it to a T1 that is GPS fed from the colo providers and haven't looked at it since. There is also the issue that most voice gear doesn't support PTP since BITS is assumed to be provided at the CO and IP may not have not even be available. The later is unlikely now, but a lot of this stuff was designed 30 years ago with incremental changes since. Things like IP routers can usually take PTP as well as BITS.

We have one site that isn't a real colo and we couldn't get roof/outside wall access so we had to go the expensive route.

https://www.microsemi.com/existing-parts/parts/138179

Since I don't feel like typing a ton of stuff, the cesium thing is just that the clock measures the vibrations of a cesium atom at a certain temperature. That vibrates at a known frequency and a very, very stable signal can be transmitted from that. That signal is sent to all the things that carry TDM circuits so their clocks don't go too fast and occasionally duplicate bits, or too slow and occasionally miss bits. A 'slip' is when you have a bit error due to your clocks being at different frequencies. The source consumes cesium slowly and the fancy part has to be replaced every 8 years or so.

tortilla_chip posted:

Most of the industry went the route of doing MEF E-NNIs and being agnostic about the endpoint encapsulation.

The MEF stuff seemed to be geared towards cell site backhaul which is a fair bit lower density than I need on the TDM side. Only things I really saw were the Nokia 7705 and NCS 4216 which both do SAToP/CESoPSN over pseudowires. CL is trying to piece together a 1/2 ME 1/2 MPLS solution for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well that shattered my worldview that "everything is Ethernet now"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretend I posted that “I know some of these words” Goodburger meme here.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Same, I thought the entire world ran pretty much exclusively on 100g ethernet now

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Those are all T1s and DS3s. There are rows and rows that look like this in 60 Hudson. About 30% of our voice network is TDM these days.

Ethernet completely dwarfs TDM, but there is still a poo poo ton out there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FatCow posted:

Those are all T1s and DS3s. There are rows and rows that look like this in 60 Hudson. About 30% of our voice network is TDM these days.

Ethernet completely dwarfs TDM, but there is still a poo poo ton out there.

This is someone's hell, minus the supposed labels.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MF_James posted:

This is someone's hell, minus the supposed labels.

The use of plastic packing ties over zip ties puts it past a hell ive imagined before.

They found a fastener less convenient than but just as pita to remove as zip ties

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Grassy Knowles posted:

The use of plastic packing ties over zip ties puts it past a hell ive imagined before.

They found a fastener less convenient than but just as pita to remove as zip ties

It's probably not plastic, it's likely waxed string. That poo poo is used by the mile.

I was in a meet me room in 111 8th Ave and it was basically that picture but single mode fiber. And one of them was my oc48 they they hosed up the cross connect on. Craziness.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thanks Ants posted:

I mean it is, but there is a lot of TDM that still exists, a LOT. And honestly if you are one of the few people that actually knows what TDM is, and maybe even how it works, there are some very niche, but well paying, jobs for you.

Also fun fact, most (all) optical transport carriers, like Cisco, Ciena and that one that starts with "A" Adtran maybe? have modern TDM equipment that you can buy today. It's going away, but it'll be a LONG time before it goes away.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yeah but nobody would greenfield deploy it for the last dozen years.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Also fun fact, most (all) optical transport carriers, like Cisco, Ciena and that one that starts with "A" Adtran maybe? have modern TDM equipment that you can buy today. It's going away, but it'll be a LONG time before it goes away.

Yep. Adtran's still a major player in TDM space. Just look at the cards that get deployed at the CPE side.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

falz posted:

I dont' think a provider has green-fielded anything in the last dozen years. Well maybe GPON, but that's it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

falz posted:

We did. Any new CLEC is going to be buying TDM gear if they want to do voice. Unless they take the IPES option it is the only way to get local calls from the RBOCs.

Edit:

I mean if you want to be mind blown we turned up a 56k circuit last year. Like a glorified modem line.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 17, 2018

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
FatCow I have to ask how you got into this specific niche. What was your background? It looks super interesting.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I dont' think a provider has green-fielded anything in the last dozen years. Well maybe GPON, but that's it.

I'm thinking long haul backbone paths where new builds and deployments happen all the time to connect or upgrade regions.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

FatCow I have to ask how you got into this specific niche. What was your background? It looks super interesting.

Nothing too interesting. Took a job with a Level 3 reseller that was about to build their own CLEC. Learned what I need to know on the job. Over the next 10 years here I've amassed a bunch of random telecom related things. There wasn't really a strong IP or transport guy here so I kinda filled those roles over time. There are tons of people who know way, way, way more than I do but most have 10-15 years on me.

My core knowledge is VoIP though, it's rare that I get a SIP/VoIP question these days that isn't answered by going to the right RFC and ctrl-fing a phrase I know is near the answer. IP is a decently far away second and my TDM knowledge is pretty superficial. I know what this stuff looks like, but my use case is pretty simple and I couldn't really run any SONET network of significance. TDM wise I'm basically a guy who runs a network in a decent size office building if you mapped it to ethernet.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 17, 2018

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

FatCow posted:

Me (and I think Rag too) work on the side of things that lets people do 'only voip.'

Ask me about my Cerent original 15454 which experienced a dual clock failure. Oh and it was the primary box fronting our class 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'd rather not. I made the mistake of telling our COO what the result of a 14545 going dark would be. I'm pretty sure they are the only device type in our network that hasn't had a service impacting failure in the ~11 years we've had them installed.