Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Over the exhaust of Berlyn's car, no less!

You might think "feuding over gas exhausts is a stupid thing" but believe me if there's one group of people who know how to use gas efficiently it's the Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C. Everett Koop posted:

You might think "feuding over gas exhausts is a stupid thing" but believe me if there's one group of people who know how to use gas efficiently it's the Germans.

Holy poo poo. :randpop:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Well actually dieselgate proved the Germans are not very efficient about exhausts!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
It's all about availability. When wrestling is on TV in a region, it will be popular.

It also helped that Turner was a big conglomerate, so they could easily sell their shows abroad or show them on a subsidiary.

I'm sure there are a lot of eurokids from the 90s who grew up watching WCW every friday after Cartoon Networks timeshare for the day ended and the channel switched to TNT.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Was the story around the WCW Australian Tour true, where they were so confident of success that they did a deal with the local arenas that they'd buy back any seats not sold in exchange for lower building rental prices. After WCW's only 3 sold-out shows of the year, the arenas came back asking for money because they blocked 1/4 of the seats in the building with stages & TurnerTrons?

I've heard that for years, but I'm not sure if that actually happened.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that the one where the colour guy for the German language broadcast is a comedian who keeps challenging wrestlers to fights

tbh I will take German Larry Zybysko over Mark Madden

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dsriggs posted:

Was the story around the WCW Australian Tour true, where they were so confident of success that they did a deal with the local arenas that they'd buy back any seats not sold in exchange for lower building rental prices. After WCW's only 3 sold-out shows of the year, the arenas came back asking for money because they blocked 1/4 of the seats in the building with stages & TurnerTrons?

I've heard that for years, but I'm not sure if that actually happened.

10/23/2000 WON posted:

The Australian shows on 10/13 and 10/14 in Melbourne for Nitro and Thunder drew a sellout of about 10,000 the first night and about 8,500 the second night, probably at an average ticket price of $130 Australian so the sellouts in Sydney and Melbourne should be in the $650,000 to $700,000 range per night. WCW got a flat fee of $1.5 million, although there were last minute negotiations before the tour got under way last week with controversy because of how many seats were being blocked off at the arenas for television purposes and that not being able to sell those seats cut greatly into the profitability of the show for Paul Dainty, the Australian promoter of the tour.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Adaptabullshit posted:

It's all about availability. When wrestling is on TV in a region, it will be popular.

It also helped that Turner was a big conglomerate, so they could easily sell their shows abroad or show them on a subsidiary.

I'm sure there are a lot of eurokids from the 90s who grew up watching WCW every friday after Cartoon Networks timeshare for the day ended and the channel switched to TNT.

As a Brit kid, the first wrestling I ever saw was WCW, I think Worldwide on Channel 5, at 7pm on Fridays. I got into it late, so here I was wondering why there was a new world champion every week, or why we were supposed to take Jeff Jarrett seriously if all he did was come out and hit people with cardboard guitars. Wrestling fandom later filled me in (:russo:), but I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be a wrestling fan if WCW didn't have that slot.

The relative availability of TNA here (on a game show channel) likely explains that company's not-insignificant British fanbase too. Didn't they tour the UK a bunch of times as well?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Ah, it was one of those game-of-telephone sort of things. Thanks!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Hi!

(I also watched NJPW on eurosport)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Adaptabullshit posted:

This is me. It was very confusing learning that there was WCW and WWF/E, and that "wrestling" wasn't just one big thing. Also I never got to watch PPVs except later on sometimes Mania (which aired for free) so storylines made no sense at all since I never saw the blowoff to anything.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I got into it late, so here I was wondering why there was a new world champion every week, or why we were supposed to take Jeff Jarrett seriously if all he did was come out and hit people with cardboard guitars.

Wondering why anyone would ever give a poo poo about Jarrett is the correct response, regardless of when you came into watching WCW. It never made any sense.

*cue the "broke a thousand guitars..." clip*

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Some wrestlers who I liked as a kid and don't really care for now and there are some who I didn't think too much of as a kid, but appreciate now.

But one I didn't like then and who I still can't stand to look at is Jeff Jarrett. I understand how he managed to stick around now, but when I was younger I couldn't wrap my head around how this guy kept coming back like a herpes flare up.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I think if Jarrett stayed around the midcard forever he might be looked upon more fondly, since his schtick was a perfectly fine one for a chickenshit midcard heel, but his unfortunate main event pushes did nothing to endear him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I always found him acceptable in WWF as the guy right around the Intercontinental level who could believably annoy Razor Ramon. But wow that guy should not been sniffing the World title anywhere

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I think if Jarrett stayed around the midcard forever he might be looked upon more fondly, since his schtick was a perfectly fine one for a chickenshit midcard heel, but his unfortunate main event pushes did nothing to endear him.

He was fine in the ring and awful outside of the ring in his first WWF run, his first WCW run, the start of his first WWF run and then only got over because of a heavily misogynistic character and rarely had good matches. His WCW main event run sucked but what people forget is he was shunted down to the midcard after that and guess what... he sucked. It was probably the worst run of his career.

So basically "Jeff Jarrett was a good midcarder" is based on a couple of funny TNA skits and a couple matches with guys like Shawn Michaels 25 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah but how do we know that Jeff Jarrett wasn't carrying those Shawn Michaels matches!

Source: Jeff Jarrett

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Jeff Jarrett beat up a children's MMA class.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Writer Cath posted:

Jeff Jarrett beat up a children's MMA class.

One of the best skits in wrestling history,

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

He was fine in the ring and awful outside of the ring in his first WWF run, his first WCW run, the start of his first WWF run and then only got over because of a heavily misogynistic character and rarely had good matches. His WCW main event run sucked but what people forget is he was shunted down to the midcard after that and guess what... he sucked. It was probably the worst run of his career.

When does he get shunted down to WCW midcard after his last World Title reign?
After his 30-40 World Title shots on TV?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shiki Dan posted:

When does he get shunted down to WCW midcard after his last World Title reign?
After his 30-40 World Title shots on TV?

he never really makes it all the way down there, his frequent title shots end with the infamous San Francisco 49ers match which is about the same time that Vince Russo stepped away because of concussions

even then, that's October, he's back in the title picture in December and main events his last PPV for WCW in January wrestling for the world title

then WCW gets acquired 2 months later and its all moot because Jarrett gets publicly mocked by Vince on Raw and fired on the night of the last Nitro.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Which wasn't for the obvious reason of him being bad, but for having the temerity of previously demanding of Vince he be paid for wrestling a match when he wasn't under contract

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
What are some examples of guys who were "buried" early in their career who later overcame it and became successful? I mean besides Daniel Bryan? It is hard to imagine Bayley recovering after her really bad booking and I'm looking for some hope.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

watch a different promotion if you want hope

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I mean there are many WWE undercard dudes who went on to be successful elsewhere. EC3 was a grating comedy dude no one actually found funny, until he got juiced to the gills and became a thing that people seemed to unironically enjoy about TNA, for one

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

jred250 posted:

What are some examples of guys who were "buried" early in their career who later overcame it and became successful? I mean besides Daniel Bryan? It is hard to imagine Bayley recovering after her really bad booking and I'm looking for some hope.

"Buried" is a little harsh and he was pegged as a future mega star from the beginning of his career, but Steve Austin was most definitely smashed over the head with the glass ceiling when Hogan and his pals came along in WCW.

Billy Gunn and Road Dogg had to both overcome lovely gimmicks and non-stop jobbing for a year before being put together as the New Age Outlaws and given a push by Russo just to prove he could get anyone over.
Bob Holly, in kinda, sorta the same way...he was never highly pushed but he got to stick around forever, get pushed to fair credibility in 2000 during the peak of the WWF and even main-event a few PPVs--not bad for a guy who started as "Sparky Plugg" who jobbed nonstop for almost 5 straight years.

A more modern example would be Jinder Mahal, I guess. He was a total joke in 3MB.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 7, 2018

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

jred250 posted:

I wouldn't say he was buried, per say, but Mick Foley was just a guy who took inhuman bumps for the first what, decade of his career?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
that should be the plot of the next wwe 2k game, you create your guy, it shows a quick succession of them doing their moves on roman/orton/whatever and you hold up the big red chewing gum belt, then it shows you getting pinned. first by roman, then by, like baron corbin, then tye dillinger, then suddenly you're at the very bottom of the barrel. your first match is against goldust on main event. this is where you start playing, but its one of those levels where you're so underpowered you're actually supposed to lose. that's how we 1) get bayley as the cover athlete for wwe 2k19 and 2) fix the story mode to something compelling, like, fixing a wrestler that booking absolutely ruined. fixing something no one even wants to see. fixing bayley.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That is more or less the story of the latest WWE game actually. You come up from NXT, you are immediately asked to lose. And lose. And lose. You are subsequently released because no one cares about a loser (then go to the other brand because that wouldn't make much of a game).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

jred250 posted:

Mark Henry was hired with a multi-million dollar 10-year contract due to being an Olympic athlete who looked like he had "gold medal" written all over him. Instead, he injured himself at the Olympics and it became apparent early on in his wrestling career that he was a gigantic waste of money. Being a complete afterthought once the Attitude Era kicked in, the company kept trying to bury and humiliate him at every turn, hoping that he'd do them a solid and quit. They even sent him back to OVW, where he lost a shitload of weight, only to be asked to regain the weight in order to take part in a strong man competition.

Henry didn't really gain any traction until 2008 and didn't stand out until 2011.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Hi!

(I also watched NJPW on eurosport)

I was a bit too young to watch, but I remember the timeline of pan-european satellite wrestling (with english commentary) being (I grew up in the Nordics, so this is based on the channels that were available then)

WWF (SKY, later Eurosport) -> NJPW (ring warriors) (Eurosport) -> UWFi (Bushido) (Eurosport) -> WCW (Cartoon Network/TNT). You could see WWF and WCW in German, if you had DSF.

I do remember Eurosport later showing TNA and NJPW with their own abysmal commentary. The last wrestling I remember was WWE and TNA with local commentators.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

C. Everett Koop posted:

I wouldn't say he was buried, per say, but Mick Foley was just a guy who took inhuman bumps for the first what, decade of his career?

Hell, didn't he take that bump with Vader on the ramp in WCW in the hopes of being so badly injured he could just take the insurance money and retire since his career wasn't going anywhere?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Hardys were actual jobbers in the WWF before finally gaining traction.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Adaptabullshit posted:

I was a bit too young to watch, but I remember the timeline of pan-european satellite wrestling (with english commentary) being (I grew up in the Nordics, so this is based on the channels that were available then)

WWF (SKY, later Eurosport) -> NJPW (ring warriors) (Eurosport) -> UWFi (Bushido) (Eurosport) -> WCW (Cartoon Network/TNT). You could see WWF and WCW in German, if you had DSF.

I do remember Eurosport later showing TNA and NJPW with their own abysmal commentary. The last wrestling I remember was WWE and TNA with local commentators.
I remember that Astra carried a Spanish channel that showed AAA, too.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

jred250 posted:

What are some examples of guys who were "buried" early in their career who later overcame it and became successful? I mean besides Daniel Bryan?

I would like to ask the inverse of this, with Harley Race in the place of Daniel Bryan.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Who are, to you, some guys who never had good success and no one ever found out about them and they died?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Who are, to you, some guys who never had good success and no one ever found out about them and they died?

Brad Armstrong.

What? He's still alive?! Huh, OK then.

Karmine posted:

I would like to ask the inverse of this, with Harley Race in the place of Daniel Bryan.

Tito Santana would be a minor example, I'd say.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Karmine posted:

Billy Graham might be the ultimate example of what you're looking for? Or perhaps Bob Backlund, or the Junk Yard Dog. In any case, there's a rather long list of guys who did very well in the territory days who ended their careers with minor, sometimes humiliating roles in WWF/WCW.

Cavauro posted:

I know you're kidding, but Zenk? Idunno, even guys like Mike Sharpe have some wrestling nerds who fondly remember them.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 7, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Brad Armstrong.

What? He's still alive?! Huh, OK then.

Tito Santana would be a minor example, I'd say.

No, he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
poo poo, I got him and Scott confused. :(