Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Finishing up Ozark right now, this show is a real sleeper hit from last year. Great acting across the board and Jason Bateman really playing against type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If anyone is looking for an incredible comedy series that is one continual story, The Detour is loving fantastic. I have been binging it tonight and I am loving it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

Just finished Castlevania on Netflix. It is very short but I actually liked it a lot and excited for season 2.

I have never played any Castlevania games but love the idea of it. The animation in this show was pretty good, the music is also nice and the writing is a bit jarring at times but funny as well.

What is the general consensus on this show if anyone here watched it.
I enjoyed it, but the whole first season felt like a prequel movie divided into parts. I'm really hoping they don't just stick with Trevor and move onto his descendants like Simon at some point. Also Alucard is anime as gently caress, to the point where it's kind of jarring - like they decided the son of Dracula wasn't cool enough and cloned Sephiroth instead.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, Season 4 of Black Mirror has been out for a month now and I have only watched three of the six episodes despite it being one of my top shows. Definitely take it slow.
I get that people love it, but it's been extremely hit-or-miss for me, and often seems to think it's way deeper than it is. Most often I just feel like the tech-gone-wrong that's so commonplace in the worlds they present could never realistically exist in any society other than an absolute technocratic dictatorship, so it's difficult to suspend disbelief a lot of the time let alone get a super deep moral lesson from it. That, and some of the tech is too outlandish - the memory stuff in Crocodile for example is not at all how memory works.

On the subject of sci-fi anthologies though, how's Electric Dreams?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

sticklefifer posted:

On the subject of sci-fi anthologies though, how's Electric Dreams?

Well worth the watch. Very much infused with the man's paranoia and views on SF. Not too gritty, not too self aware. Easy to blow through in one sitting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really liked Dirk Gently season 2 even though I dont like Dirk himself. I found him somewhat annoying on S1 and its like they doubled on it on season 2, he is the worst part of the show. Too whinny and repetitive

The rest of the characters are mostly fun and interesting, though, which makes up for it. The plot is again amazingly absurd and very entertaining, although not as much as S1.

Still pretty good, and Im sad to hear it got cancelled

sticklefifer posted:

I get that people love it, but it's been extremely hit-or-miss for me, and often seems to think it's way deeper than it is. Most often I just feel like the tech-gone-wrong that's so commonplace in the worlds they present could never realistically exist in any society other than an absolute technocratic dictatorship, so it's difficult to suspend disbelief a lot of the time let alone get a super deep moral lesson from it. That, and some of the tech is too outlandish - the memory stuff in Crocodile for example is not at all how memory work

I feel the same. That why my favorites from the new season are the ones that dont take itself very serioulsy, namely US Callister and Hang the DJ

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 31, 2018

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Ok, now that I'm all the way through The Patriot, I really recommend it. It's on Amazon Prime. It's shot and acted beautifully. It's sad, funny, and odd. Just really good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If anyone is looking for an incredible comedy series that is one continual story, The Detour is loving fantastic. I have been binging it tonight and I am loving it.

Both seasons of this show are absolutely fantastic.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's a new Anne of Green Gables series on Canadian Netflix, called (surprisingly) Anne. It's cute and harmless and takes my mind off of the horrors of the world for a time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

angerbeet posted:

There's a new Anne of Green Gables series on Canadian Netflix, called (surprisingly) Anne. It's cute and harmless and takes my mind off of the horrors of the world for a time.

You live in Canada? What horrors do you have to worry about? Besides moose, bear, Canucks fans, running out of maple syrup, and falling out of favor of the queen's love I mean.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Eastbound and Down is on Amazon Prime binging the first 4 seasons.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

You live in Canada? What horrors do you have to worry about? Besides moose, bear, Canucks fans, running out of maple syrup, and falling out of favor of the queen's love I mean.

ur president thinks we're snow mexicans and our lumber trade dealssssssssssss

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Do you like action sci-fi thrillers?

Do you like British accents, great cinematography, and government conspiracies?

Then you should watch Hard Sun.

Just finished episode one, and hot drat :v: is this show good. It's a little far fetched, but has an interesting premise at it's core. I'm genuinely excited to see where this one goes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Do you like action sci-fi thrillers?

Do you like British accents, great cinematography, and government conspiracies?

Then you should watch Hard Sun.

Just finished episode one, and hot drat :v: is this show good. It's a little far fetched, but has an interesting premise at it's core. I'm genuinely excited to see where this one goes.

Bruv, i was down for that show. I loved that they figured out the big thing, and just went to work like it was nothing.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I mean, what the gently caress else are they going to do. The male half of the duo was about to go full-on prepper until he got socked in the mouth with brass knuckles. :arghfist::black101:

It's either go nutty and say gently caress everything, or just die on the inside until nothing else matters.

:smith:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I started watching Hard Sun and I have to strongly disagree with everyone who has said that it's good. It's like if you took some particularly insipid BBC conspiracy show like The Last Enemy and just randomly had characters mention "oh yeah, by the way the world's going to end" every 15 minutes but the world ending part doesn't even matter and none of the characters particularly seem to care that covering up the end of the world happens to be the specific conspiracy they are busy conspiring about. I honestly think it's lazy writing, because focusing on the conspiracy allows them to completely avoid having to deal with any of the implications entirely.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

As an unapologetic fan of the 2007 movie adaptation, I felt compelled to watch the 2017 Netflix series The Mist.

I punished myself with all 10 episodes. It was the worst production I've ever watched. It utterly failed in every possible aspect, and I hope everyone involved with the writing and direction is blackballed from TV work forever. From now all it will be the ruler against which all poo poo series are measured.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I mean, what the gently caress else are they going to do. The male half of the duo was about to go full-on prepper until he got socked in the mouth with brass knuckles. :arghfist::black101:

It's either go nutty and say gently caress everything, or just die on the inside until nothing else matters.

:smith:

Option 2 all the way, baby! Been doing it for almost 8 years now!

mystes posted:

I started watching Hard Sun and I have to strongly disagree with everyone who has said that it's good. It's like if you took some particularly insipid BBC conspiracy show like The Last Enemy and just randomly had characters mention "oh yeah, by the way the world's going to end" every 15 minutes but the world ending part doesn't even matter and none of the characters particularly seem to care that covering up the end of the world happens to be the specific conspiracy they are busy conspiring about. I honestly think it's lazy writing, because focusing on the conspiracy allows them to completely avoid having to deal with any of the implications entirely.

All the more reason for me not to watch it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 7, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Snowman Crossing posted:

As an unapologetic fan of the 2007 movie adaptation, I felt compelled to watch the 2017 Netflix series The Mist.

I punished myself with all 10 episodes. It was the worst production I've ever watched. It utterly failed in every possible aspect, and I hope everyone involved with the writing and direction is blackballed from TV work forever. From now all it will be the ruler against which all poo poo series are measured.

thanks to Under the Dome, I don't think it's even the worst series adaptation of King

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snowman Crossing posted:

I think it's the biggest example of missed the point entirely

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I get bored a few times a year, I watch few random anime series for shows that only have a few seasons. I watch stuff that seems like it will be sort of low-investment of time.

I keep putting this off and deleting everything, and I probably have a lot more to say about them in general.

Triage X
Plot: Teens working with a super rich doctor moonlight as sexy assassins to kill criminals in their city.

Thoughts: It's not good. This feels like extremely 'generic anime' in a modern way that something of this same sort some 25-30 years ago would not have felt like and would have probably been executed better back then.

The action scenes are more like reaction scenes. The choreography and geography of action scenes feels extremely hard to believe or follow. Every female character is bustier and more tightly dressed and panty-shotted than the last (I don't think I've ever seen a show that goes this far in that regard) and the male characters all look like they're out of a 15 year old "Learn to Draw Manga" book you'd would grab at Barnes and Noble. The only thing that salvages it for me is a CONCEPT (that I think is just handled wrong) and occasional hints of some Nolan Batman themes to it.

At about the halfway point it seems like the show is actually trying to build to something and it never really delivers, which I think was the ONLY reason I kept going.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 7, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Strike Back, season 2. The ISI guy turned out to be a terrorist traitor, what a loving surprise lol. But it's definitely pretty fun so far and scratches the itch of having something fun that isn't trying to crawl up its own rear end but not entirely dumb either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Strike Back, season 2. The ISI guy turned out to be a terrorist traitor, what a loving surprise lol. But it's definitely pretty fun so far and scratches the itch of having something fun that isn't trying to crawl up its own rear end but not entirely dumb either.

Scott/Stonebridge Strike Back gets better every season too.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Rocksicles posted:

Scott/Stonebridge Strike Back gets better every season too.

Yes!

I've been binging Altered Carbon. Sci-fi film noir(ish)? Yes please.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most recent series I've watched is a British crime/spy drama from the 70s called The XYY Man.

It's adapted from a series of novels about a former cat burglar who's just gotten out of jail determined to go straight, but discovers he has XYY syndrome (an extra Y chromosome) which makes him genetically predisposed to crime.

One interesting feature - which is pretty unusual for this kind of series from this decade - is that it's pretty heavily serialised. The first season was three episodes, which were a three part story, then the second season has 10 episodes with a four episode arc and two three episode arcs which all follow on from one another. A consequence of being adapted from novels, I imagine.

I'm going to watch either Miami Vice or The Equalizer next but I have a lot on over the next couple of weeks and probably won't be able to find the time.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Just started watching Altered Carbon a couple of days ago and it's really good. Despite being a big sci fi nerd, I'd somehow never read the books before. It's nice going into it blind unlike The Expanse where I'd read the books ahead of time.

The production values on it are top notch too.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
:same:

Almost finished Altered Carbon and yeah, enjoying it a lot. There's stuff to nitpick, and plenty of people doing so in it's own thread, but overall really solid. In general it's just really good to see SciFi like this (along with the Expanse) getting made.

Holy crap that elevator fight was brutal though. I mean it's show is pretty brutal in general, but that in particular. The production quality and fight choreography are top notch.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Mindhunter - This show is like going in a fancy restaurant, ordering an exotic dish, and realizing you really like it. Enjoyed this a lot, can't wait for the next season. 5/5

Peaky Blinders - Watched the first season. Low budget, a bit iffy supporting cast, but Cillian Murphy is good and the plot is OK. Not great, but not bad, might continue watching. 3/5

iZombie - Only watched the pilot. This might be a guilty pleasure kind of thing. Might continue one day.

Dark - Still only halfway through the season, but this show is fantastic. Kind of reminds me what the new Twin Peaks could've/should've been like, if David Lynch wasn't busy sucking his own cock. 5/5 so far.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

pigdog posted:

iZombie - Only watched the pilot. This might be a guilty pleasure kind of thing. Might continue one day.

Dark - Still only halfway through the season, but this show is fantastic. Kind of reminds me what the new Twin Peaks could've/should've been like, if David Lynch wasn't busy sucking his own cock. 5/5 so far.

iZombie is such a guilty pleasure :)

Love Dark. If you can find it, the original French-subtitled The Returned was phenomenal. It's no longer on Netflix Canada :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I don't even consider a guilty pleasure like I do with Riverdale. iZombie's plot has become somewhat convoluted over time, but they took a major risk ending this past season the way they did, which should change the entire dynamic of the show. And everyone in the cast is so likable and charismatic, it's a rare show where every character takes a turn being your favorite character. It is the first show that felt that way to me since Parks and Recreation.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Love Dark. If you can find it, the original French-subtitled The Returned was phenomenal. It's no longer on Netflix Canada :(

Yeah The Returned is fantastic. In that same direction I really like the British show In The Flesh.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Holy crap that elevator fight was brutal though. I mean it's show is pretty brutal in general, but that in particular. The production quality and fight choreography are top notch.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding about that elevator scene............

Vibrating Top Hat
Jul 3, 2007

Is Dark somehow related to Les Revenants, or does it just have a similar tone?

Both shows are on my to watch, and I don't want to google in case I spoil anything for myself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Binged through Big Mouth since I got sick this weekend. It would have been pretty good if the monsters weren't in it at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Dark is indeed a lot of fun

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Binged through Big Mouth since I got sick this weekend. It would have been pretty good if the monsters weren't in it at all.

I thought it was hilarious and true, but the monsters were the worst parts by far.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Vibrating Top Hat posted:

Is Dark somehow related to Les Revenants, or does it just have a similar tone?

Both shows are on my to watch, and I don't want to google in case I spoil anything for myself.

One show is German, the other is French, and the dramatic elements are different. I think it's safe to say they merely share a tone.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Dark is about kids disappearing whereas Les Revenants (the Returned) is about kids and adults reappearing..

There are similarities in tone. Both riveting high production value series. Dark has an English dub.

I really don't want to spoil these shows.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Revenants was pretty interesting for the first half of the first season but got really dull after that. I was hoping things would be getting better in the second season but I couldn't even sit out the first ep

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Has anyone seen La Mante? My friend keeps trying to get me to watch it but I don't exactly know if I want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I haven't seen much chat on here about The Handmaid's Tale. I've just binged the first few eps and it's really drat good but my god is it dark. Game of Thrones is some happytime Disney poo poo in comparison.