Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Fritzler posted:

My GF and I both just got an ex raid pass. To a raid in Florida at a gym we only put pokemon in back in September. She is pissed.

edit: if anyone is near Osprey floriday (LOL I'm pretty sure no one is) and would go for us I would be a huge fan.

If you can track down a Discord server for the area, I'm guessing someone will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I love how the requirement for this wave was apparently “look at a gym, once” and I still didn’t get my first EX pass lmao

Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kxZyle posted:

Oh my loving god finally

Interesting! It would be nice to have more to do every day in-game. I pretty much just shoot for one catch and one stop, then go take over the local gyms if they're full of empty hearts. I don't bother with raiding right now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Louisgod posted:

aaaaaaaaaahahahahhaa god drat this poo poo owns.

it's hilarious watching people try to figure out when they were even near a gym they got a pass for

mine is within driving range, at least - but considering how ridiculous this entire raid invite thing is, who's gonna actually show up? For all I know everyone else who got an invite visited from out of state last October :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The local Whatsapp groups are full of screenshots of passes all over the place in Europe, as well as Indonesia and Australia.

I got one in Portugal, for a gym I've only ever spun once in September last year at a tourist attraction. I live 2000 km away from there. Perhaps this round was sponsored by an airline company?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Oh man, this ex raid wave is great. :suspense:

People have been getting passes to tiny towns in bumfuck nowhere 200kms away.

I'm kind of surprised I didn't get one for the single raid I did for the Anaheim event.

My friend is on her 4th pass despite raiding maybe once a month.

I get the idea of a lot of these raids are not going to have enough people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GonSmithe posted:

I love how the requirement for this wave was apparently “look at a gym, once” and I still didn’t get my first EX pass lmao

Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️

:same:

It's a shame I can't take advantage of Niantic's idiocy this time!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So you don’t have to actually be in the gym at the time in order to receive an EX pass? That’s cool, because being Instinct means I’m lucky if I last two hours in a gym unless it’s totally remote.

Still haven’t gotten a pass, regardless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ballz posted:

So you don’t have to actually be in the gym at the time in order to receive an EX pass? That’s cool, because being Instinct means I’m lucky if I last two hours in a gym unless it’s totally remote.

Still haven’t gotten a pass, regardless.

As far as anyone can tell, it used to be "raided in the gym in the past week".

Now who the gently caress knows.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

endlessmonotony posted:

As far as anyone can tell, it used to be "raided in the gym in the past week".

Now who the gently caress knows.

Apparently its now "this gym loaded into your game while your drove by at highway speed up to a year ago"

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Haha my kid got one on the other side of town, which is probably doable. I got one halfway across the country from December. At least she'll be happy, which is what matters more to me.

I know there's a discord in that town but I don't know anyone there is trust with my Google account info.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Beastyfella posted:

Haha my kid got one on the other side of town, which is probably doable. I got one halfway across the country from December. At least she'll be happy, which is what matters more to me.

I know there's a discord in that town but I don't know anyone there is trust with my Google account info.

Just spoof it!

Kidding.

Kinda.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Purposely giving out passes thousands of miles away to honeypot spoofers. Duh.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
No EX raid for me, still.

:sigh:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Iol got an ex pass to a gym I've never been to on the day I start my new job. fml

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

kensei posted:

Just spoof it!

Kidding.

Kinda.

If I even knew how to.....I'd be tempted, but I'll be playing for my kids pass here in town anyway. I know that no one ever seems to get banned for it but I just feel like it's not worth the risk.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

No EX raid for me, still.

:sigh:

Same here. Someday...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

kxZyle posted:

Oh my loving god finally

You got my hopes up. This poo poo doesn't have anything to do with trading. :argh:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

You got my hopes up. This poo poo doesn't have anything to do with trading. :argh:

Trading is Niantic's last ditch 'In Case of Emergency Break Glass' strategy, similar to how Square Enix didn't push the REMAKE FFVII button until XIII almost bankrupted the company

We got a long wait ahead of us

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
What do you even need trading for when you can get multiples of each legendary with enough effort? This at least expands the still barely-existent gameplay.

e: keeping in mind that trading will be local-only

quote:

But players stuck in smaller towns who are eager to fill out their Pokédex will likely remain out of luck, senior product manager Tatsuo Nomura told Polygon at this week’s Game Developers Conference.

“[Trading] won’t be through the internet,” he said of the mechanic, which remains in development and heavily under wraps. “You shouldn’t be able to exchange your Pokémon with someone who is 100 miles away from you. ... The person needs to be in your proximity.”

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 7, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

kxZyle posted:

What do you even need trading for

Corsolas obviously

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

If there's trading, I will trade with people I know that travel and have regionals I'll never see. He'll, I'll even trade them right back if they want. I just want the Dex entry.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want trading because I need to thin out my final forms. I got like 8 Charizards and 7 Blastoises and a dozen Nidokings from mass evolves and I don't want to chuck them for 1-2 candy.

I'd also like to give people who haven't got one yet a Dratini or sloth or whatever impossible to find/hatch one is for them.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Beastyfella posted:

If there's trading, I will trade with people I know that travel and have regionals I'll never see. He'll, I'll even trade them right back if they want. I just want the Dex entry.

Basically this, I just hate having the empty spaces for places I will never go. The rest I don't mind hunting for or waiting till I luck out and hatch one(One of these days, trapinch :argh:).

I also want trading because I have a high IV version of all the legendaries that my partner missed out on when he was hiking in the woods for several months straight(I think it was all the beasts, maybe lugia and ho-oh too), along with an articuno that he somehow managed to end up getting 0/14 or something like that(has a decent catch rate for everything else, for some reason just couldn't just Arti to save his life). Though knowing Niantic, they'll make it so you can't trade legendaries to maintain some kind of false scarcity, sorry rural players who finally thought your friend could trade one to you!!!

Add me to the pile of people who finally got their first ex raid pass... For a gym my partner and I did one low level raid at in a rural town in mexico in November. Only have to travel the 1,500 miles from seattle to the middle of Baja California(San Felipe)! Hope you enjoy the beach vacation, Mewtwo.

Seriously, I've done 2 raids outside of Seattle(/150). At least if it had been for the other non-Seattle raid (in Chicago) I could have at least got a friend to do it or something.

It's like Niantic tried to respond to how so many people have complained that they have never gotten a pass and fix it... but in typical Niantic fashion tripped and poo poo the bed all over it. I'm guessing a lot of these raids aren't gonna have a high turn out.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

kxZyle posted:

What do you even need trading for when you can get multiples of each legendary with enough effort? This at least expands the still barely-existent gameplay.

e: keeping in mind that trading will be local-only

We already knew it was gonna be local only, making it an online feature would break the whole community point of it all

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

kxZyle posted:

Oh my loving god finally

Can they please put bad guys in this game, I want to feel like I'm defeating enemies instead of blindly catching-and-releasing monsters for our rolling stone mentor Professor Willow who has since gone to bro out with Professor Kukui in Hawaii.

My dream for this game is for cities to have a flying Team Rocket hot air balloon that arrives unannounced flying in random paths and will steal a random Pokemon from you if you stand underneath its shadow. All the while the only music coming from the game is a megaphone audio quality of the Team Rocket theme blaring. If it flies over an entire group during a raid, too bad. Makes you want to set someone for lookout duty.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Niantic gonna Niantic. It would have been so much easier to just put Mewtwo in every tier 5 yesterday without explaining why until the very end of the day.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Niantic gonna Niantic. It would have been so much easier to just put Mewtwo in every tier 5 yesterday without explaining why until the very end of the day.

I like what they did instead much better

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I finally got a Ludicolo.

Is it worth maxing out?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ludicolo’s stats are mediocre but its animations are top-tier. My god, those maracas! In terms of comedy gym defenders Ludicolo’s only rivals are the “too big to fit in the pedestal” crew (Makuhita, Wailord) and the classic Shiny Magikarp gambit.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Willsun posted:

Can they please put bad guys in this game, I want to feel like I'm defeating enemies instead of blindly catching-and-releasing monsters for our rolling stone mentor Professor Willow who has since gone to bro out with Professor Kukui in Hawaii.

My dream for this game is for cities to have a flying Team Rocket hot air balloon that arrives unannounced flying in random paths and will steal a random Pokemon from you if you stand underneath its shadow. All the while the only music coming from the game is a megaphone audio quality of the Team Rocket theme blaring. If it flies over an entire group during a raid, too bad. Makes you want to set someone for lookout duty.

This idea would be cool, except the GPS location setting can be extremely lovely in a lot of places so it'd make it hard to get out from under it.

* also except for the raid bit, people in most cities already have a bitch of a time forming groups for legendaries, gently caress that. It's cute that you think someone would be virtuous enough to stay out of a raid for that, though :allears:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Direct confrontational pvp really isn't how Go works so I doubt they'll add team rocket directly loving you over either.

Right now even if a member of another team takes a gym from me, I get coins out of it and they get the gym so they can get coins when I take it back - if people aren't overly selfish fucklords this system works out to everyone's benefit; everyone is winning here. That's by design. and gyms are the closest thing this game has to pvp right now and they're extremely far away from real pvp.

the true enemy in pogo ... is yourself

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

gently caress off if you think randomly getting your pokemon stolen is a good or interesting mechanic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Prop Wash posted:

Ludicolo’s stats are mediocre but its animations are top-tier. My god, those maracas! In terms of comedy gym defenders Ludicolo’s only rivals are the “too big to fit in the pedestal” crew (Makuhita, Wailord) and the classic Shiny Magikarp gambit.

yeah ludicolo is my go-to defender for gyms now. more pokemon need sick dance moves.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Psychobabble! posted:

This idea would be cool, except the GPS location setting can be extremely lovely in a lot of places so it'd make it hard to get out from under it.

* also except for the raid bit, people in most cities already have a bitch of a time forming groups for legendaries, gently caress that. It's cute that you think someone would be virtuous enough to stay out of a raid for that, though :allears:

I do like having a wordless understanding with nearby players I never meet. One team takes the gym when the other one has been sitting there for 12+ hours and everyone is running on empty hearts. Rinse and repeat for easy daily coins and badge points.

It's the ones that roll in when you've had a dude sitting on a gym for less than a hour that I hate the most.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's been a dude at my home gym taking over my poo poo when I've been there for 15 minutes. I hate that guy. Then again, I like to leave regionals in gyms back when i traveled so maybe he thinks I'm a spoofer.

My personal threshold for taking over a gym is 4 hours. And even then I only really do it to flip a gym for raiding purposes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just hope they introduce trading while i am still in college, i know that we have students that will cover most of them (relicanth prolly won't but eh).

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Dr Tran posted:

I finally got a Ludicolo.

Is it worth maxing out?
Ludicolo can actually be good against Kyogre with Hydro Pump as it double-resists water. It'll last for quite a bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Counterpoint: Ludicolo is horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mustached Demon posted:

Counterpoint: Ludicolo is horrid.

counterpoint: you're horrid

• Locked thread