Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The lack of “play from beginning” is baffling to me. We watch a ton of kids show on Netflix, and kids shows get replayed over and over and over again. Every time we open up Ninjago or whatever, all the episodes are half played (since these kids never sit still for a full episode) and we have to pick an episode and manually rewind it to the beginning every time. Every single day we have to do this dance, it’s so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The lack of “play from beginning” is baffling to me. We watch a ton of kids show on Netflix, and kids shows get replayed over and over and over again. Every time we open up Ninjago or whatever, all the episodes are half played (since these kids never sit still for a full episode) and we have to pick an episode and manually rewind it to the beginning every time. Every single day we have to do this dance, it’s so dumb.
Can't you use Siri to do it? I know it's not ideal, but it seems Siri exists as sort of a power user feature for playback and navigation on ATV4+

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the lack of a “Play Random episode” of finished series on Netflix seems like a real missing feature. But that’s a Netflix thing, not an AppleTV thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

That’s the thing though, there is a “play from beginning” feature. It’s just not always available for whatever reason weird reason.

ufarn posted:

Can't you use Siri to do it? I know it's not ideal, but it seems Siri exists as sort of a power user feature for playback and navigation on ATV4+

In the case I posted about Siri was literally too slow :v:. I couldn’t issue a command to her fast enough to get her to rewind the drat episode before the auto play thing kicked me into the next episode.

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, the lack of a “Play Random episode” of finished series on Netflix seems like a real missing feature. But that’s a Netflix thing, not an AppleTV thing.

Yeah that’d be great for those times when I just want the tv on with something but don’t really care much what.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

can y'all sell me on the new apple 4k TV a bit? I'm not trying to be obtuse or anything, just don't know much about it. I have a Samsung KS800 and the built-in apps aren't half bad, but still not the best. I'm guessing it's very efficient power wise? Does it do KODI? How does it compare to say, a fire TV 4k? 32gb is all that's needed ?

tia

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Technically you can run kodi on an Apple TV. In reality, it’s a really bad idea and you’ll just be wasting time. If you want home media playback, then Plex has a generally solid client for the most part, and Infuse is well liked too.

If it’s the streaming script playback of kodi you like, then you’re probably better else off with a different box.

I have a 64gb prev gen ATV and I should’ve just gone 32gb, but the price difference in this generation is pretty slim.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Honestly I don't really fuss with kodi as I just use the other main streaming services

I noticed 64gb wasn't much more. But I mean, does it cache better in any way or anything or is it just if I have to download every app ever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's good and fast and I guess power efficient enough (6W streaming 4K movies, 1.3W in standby). I have 32GB and have never run into space issues, but as EL BROMANCE said, 64GB isn't that much more expensive. Games are what take space, mostly, and I never play any on there. Video apps are small and will automatically delete content as space is needed. (And, in fact, apps will delete portions of themselves, if necessary). No idea how it compares to a Fire TV, other than that every time I've used one, the interface is pretty bad. No idea about Kodi, but Plex works very well.

EDIT: Yeah, it will cache more stuff, but it doesn't really cache automatically, so unless you intend to watch the same movie over and over, you're probably not going to notice a difference.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have the same tv. The tv apps are usable. If you watch anime there's no crunchy roll app on the tv as far as I know. I don't think there's an official Kodi app from the App Store. There's plex. I prefer the Apple TV because I feel like it's more likely to get bug fixes and updates quicker than tv apps (save maybe android tv on Sonys). Also stuff like Netflix and amazon run noticeably better on the Apple TV. The difference between 32 and 64 is $20 so I don't think there's much reason to get the 32.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Things I like about it despite owning a bunch of devices that can do streaming:
  • responsive UI, wakes from sleep almost instantly, turns itself off, etc.
  • good app selection
  • HDMI-CEC works [e: in my setup, everyone else's mileage may vary]
  • Only Amazon app with non-terrible FF/REW
  • single click 10 second rewind is super useful
  • can play everything full quality from my itunes library
It's not perfect; the remote is too small, a lot of apps don't know how to handle the swiping motion and just map it to button presses, the screen saver has way too much Dubai but compared to my TV's apps, my blu ray player or my PS4 it's the best streaming device I've used. I don't use plex/infuse stuff so you might want to go into the individual threads for those. Also the 32 gig is fine.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 6, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

serebralassazin posted:

I have the same tv. The tv apps are usable. If you watch anime there's no crunchy roll app on the tv as far as I know. I don't think there's an official Kodi app from the App Store. There's plex. I prefer the Apple TV because I feel like it's more likely to get bug fixes and updates quicker than tv apps (save maybe android tv on Sonys). Also stuff like Netflix and amazon run noticeably better on the Apple TV. The difference between 32 and 64 is $20 so I don't think there's much reason to get the 32.

Yeah for me if there's 1-2 apps that aren't on the TV it makes the rest moot and I might as well get something better or more efficient with a huge app library. I don't really use my PS4 much because I feel like it's overkill.

I'm geeking out pretty hard on smart home stuff and have alexa/sonos/hue lights and just got the logitech elite harmony app and it looks like with enough configuration I can get it all to work somewhat seamlessly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

• responsive UI, wakes from sleep almost instantly, turns itself off, etc.
  • HDMI-CEC works

This is something I need to work on, as something in my chain causes it to switch to the Apple TV whenever everything fires up. I think it’s the fact the Xfinity box doesn’t really do hdmi-cec and the Apple does. I’ll get 5 seconds of cable then a blank screen. I’m sure disabling CEC stopped something else working so I turned it back on.

The main problem with CEC is it can’t read my mind and know exactly what I want to do at that particular moment, which is understandable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

qirex posted:

[*]HDMI-CEC works

Sometimes.

My TV stopped turning on and off with it randomly. I have to use my TV remote like a goddamn caveman now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
To be fair, that's because CEC is unreliable/unpredictable, not really apples fault.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I find it works, then randomly doesn’t. Usually toggling cec off and back on makes it work for another few months. Sometimes TV setting, sometimes AppleTV setting.

Violator
May 15, 2003

When I put the Apple TV to sleep I’ve found that if I continue to point the remote at the TV it will turn the TV off 100% of the time. I usually have to point it at the TV for like an additional two seconds until I see it shutting down but it works every time. If I just set the remote down right away or don’t point it at the tv while putting the AppleTv to sleep then the tv never turns off.

I’m guessing it’s using the infrared for this, and if I remember correctly I trained the remote to handle the TVs volume so I’m guessing it’s also sending the shut off command.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CEC works exactly as I expect it to like 90% of the time and that 10% is endlessly frustrating. Also part of that 10% is that when I turn off my PS4, it will reliably switch everything to the AppleTV.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
CEC has turned my surround sound system on/off as well 100% since day one but never once actually worked with the TV itself. My Switch, also plugged into the surround sound system, has never ever CEC’d properly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

qirex posted:

the screen saver has way too much Dubai

Yeah I’m a bit disappointed with the screen savers. I feel like they just missed the mark half assed it. On the one hand you have a device capable of streaming any 4K video, and it has an option to download new videos every day, but all I ever see are the same exact 3 videos:

- overhead shot of city in the desert it looks like
- night city scenes
- vast arctic stuff

I really don’t think I’ve seen anything other than those 3 screen savers despite me setting it to download new content every day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I see a lot more than those on our 4th gen.

Wait, I guess you get ripped off on the 4K? http://benjaminmayo.co.uk/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers#A284F0BF-E690-4C13-92E2-4672D93E8DE5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've only had mine about a week but have really liked the apps, all seem better than either my PS4 or Tivo apps (Tivo apps would be fine honestly if it wasn't so easy to accidentally back out to your tv, probably) . I don't like the remote much but my regular TV remote works so it's fine. I really only got it because I wanted to airplay from my mac but already use it for other stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sometimes.

My TV stopped turning on and off with it randomly. I have to use my TV remote like a goddamn caveman now.
My cat steps on my aTV remote and switches my inputs on a regular basis.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I see a lot more than those on our 4th gen.

Wait, I guess you get ripped off on the 4K? http://benjaminmayo.co.uk/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers#A284F0BF-E690-4C13-92E2-4672D93E8DE5

What do you mean ripped off? I bought a 4K, and it’s 100% for sure a 4K. Well, I guess I’m not 100% sure but if the box and the in app menus say 4K then I believe it?

From the website tho,

quote:

The Apple TV 4K can only select videos from rows with the ’4K Apple TV’ label.

That’s probably it. That website only has Greenland, Dubai, LA, Hong Kong, and Liwa for 4K screensavers, so five.

In my post “overhead shot of city in desert” is apparently Dubai, “night city scene” is Hong Kong, and “vast arctic stuff” is apparently Greenland. I’ve seen the LA one too now that I see the thumbnail on it, but I’ve never seen Liwa.

Either way, having only five 4K screensavers is kind of disappointing because I was under the impression that there would be a new one every day, since the menu asks how often I want to download new content.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cobalt Viper posted:

My cat steps on my aTV remote and switches my inputs on a regular basis.

I usually put mine under my coffee table for this reason.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do Apple TVs newer than ATV3 have a useful Twitch app? Seems like the only reason I might upgrade my current one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

Do Apple TVs newer than ATV3 have a useful Twitch app? Seems like the only reason I might upgrade my current one.

Twitchy

It also appears to have an ad blocker built in. At least, I never saw all the ads every one else was complaining about during MST3K marathons (the only reason I’ve ever used it). All I got were the title cards that the paid users got during ad breaks.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s probably it. That website only has Greenland, Dubai, LA, Hong Kong, and Liwa for 4K screensavers, so five.

In my post “overhead shot of city in desert” is apparently Dubai, “night city scene” is Hong Kong, and “vast arctic stuff” is apparently Greenland. I’ve seen the LA one too now that I see the thumbnail on it, but I’ve never seen Liwa.

Either way, having only five 4K screensavers is kind of disappointing because I was under the impression that there would be a new one every day, since the menu asks how often I want to download new content.
All I ever get is a single video of what is apparently LAX

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 7, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

What do you mean ripped off?
Yeah, haha, I meant “ripped off” just in terms of number of screensavers. I’m sure the 4K box works fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wish the screensavers would say where they were actually filmed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My wife thought they were renders or composites until I told her they were actually filmed scenes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

got an apple 4k tv with 64gb because hey $20 more

also got 3.1 gigabit internet

🤷‍♀️

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Finally, they completely redesigned and updated the YouTube app. Seems to be pretty good so far, but I’m still browsing.

They added the ability to like, dislike, subscribe and a bunch of other functions from within the videos themselves. And the UI is completely redesigned to match the YouTube app on other devices and the web.

edit: ewwww scrubbing is much much worse and is no longer smooth.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 8, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahoning posted:

They added the ability to like, dislike, subscribe and a bunch of other functions from within the videos themselves.

At last. I had a version of the Apple TV app that did this a few years ago and the functionality disappeared for no reason.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Still no 4K streaming though

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Holy poo poo, this new YouTube app is garbage. I used to be able to browse/scroll through my subscriptions in a 2D grid of 15-20 on screen at once, and now I can 1D scroll with THREE loving massive icons at a time along with a bunch of empty space. Like the UI was designed for a 24" 1980's CRT that I'm sitting twenty feet away from.

loving hell, this is exactly the reason I cancelled Hulu. At least I'm not paying for YouTube, I guess?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Motherfucker, the as-you-type search suggestions aren't there anymore either. Who the hell signed off on this?

Edit: And yes, the scrubber sucks. At the very least when you bring up the scrubber UI the drat thing should have input focus right off the bat.

its HIM fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 8, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Speaking of scrubbing, I just lost my atv3 remote and had to resort to the atv2 remote and clicking a discrete number of times to seek is way more preferable than the ouija experience of the smooth remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah this app seems to be 3 steps forward and 3 steps back. They fixed a lot of things that I hated about the old app and added some really obnoxious poo poo. Like, how do you tag videos as 4K but then not have them available in 4K? I realize that they’re in some pissing match about 4K codecs or whatever the gently caress, but don’t false advertise here.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
So they have done what they have on all the other platforms.

The Youtube app is now just a wrapper around youtube.com/tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How? Did tvOS grow a webview?