Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that the suspension is standard - Means got 6 months and Romero was out for a while, too. Maybe the theory is to let the bad stuff clear the system? He'll be back in July.

e. oops, it looks as if Romero wasn't popped for ostarine, but he got 6 months in his tainted supplement case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

choose the sword, and you will join me in getting punched on the ground 200+ times. choose the ball, and you will join your mother in rizin. you don't understand my words, but second round come on let's go.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

I don't get that either - they found a drug in his system, they found proof that the drug was in there through no fault of his own, so why is he getting banned from fighting? So he'll learn the lesson not to get accidentally drugged by a food product that doesn't correctly list what is inside of it and isn't on any prohibited lists?

The WADA code has always looked at "tainted" supplements as a mitigating factor, not an exculpatory defense. Strict liability of what you put into your body is an important part of anti-doping to counter concerns that the athlete might have clever scientists on his side allowing him to constantly "mess up" with "tainted supplements" or "tainted food". WADA doesn't really want anyone to take supplements anyway, they are not seen as necessary at all, so at some point if you keep failing tests we just have to draw a line and say "gently caress you, this is now turning into your fault somehow."

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2018

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Doesn't this line up with Novitsky, when he was on Rogan's podcast? He talked about tainted supplements being a mitigating factor, but called attention to fighters using supplements that weren't third party verified/tested for their ingredients. I don't know if that applies with WADA v USADA, but Novitsky was very specific that the responsibility for what they are taking is on the fighters and their training staff.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Novitsky was very specific that the responsibility for what they are taking is on the fighters and their training staff.

Unless you are Jon Jones, then Novitsky will publicly proclaim your innocence

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The lesson is to stop taking "supplements". I refuse to believe that they make any difference, and the ones that actually do are probably tainted. Like, I'm actually torn between thinking these gyms know that these batches are spiked and are using them to hide doping, or if the teams really are stupid enough to keep using supplements even though there is a nonzero chance it can earn you a long suspension.

I'm leaning towards the former option, if only because most of these guys conveniently forget they were taking a supplement until they pop.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The substance that Yoel popped for was called "Shred RX". I can't remember who I heard say it but it was something along the lines of "If something called Shred RX doesn't have drugs in it then you should ask for your money back".

Thanks for putting the thread up CommonShore, I had to fly out for work on Friday and just got back home. I could just about put together a few shitposts on my phone, certainly couldn't get an OP going.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

The substance that Yoel popped for was called "Shred RX". I can't remember who I heard say it but it was something along the lines of "If something called Shred RX doesn't have drugs in it then you should ask for your money back".

Thanks for putting the thread up CommonShore, I had to fly out for work on Friday and just got back home. I could just about put together a few shitposts on my phone, certainly couldn't get an OP going.

No problem. I was looking through my files and I guess I did last year's Feb thread too. If you have any links or anything to add by all means I'll add em.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigel posted:

It is stupid to ever expect a corner to call a fight, to the point where we should just forget that its even a thing that can theoretically happen.

Shevchenko got mounted crucifix twice for prolonged face-punching sessions where it was not possible to defend, and Mario just stood there and watched. It was easily one of the worst-reffed fights I had ever seen.

Have you ever seen Kim Winslow ref? She basically doesn't pay attention ever.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I remember watching a fight on AXS where a dude had been ground and pounded unconscious but the ref just stood idly by. His reasoning was that he didn't know he was out because the dude's eyes were still open.

Then there's that SFL clip where a girl has been choked out and the ref is oblivious. Dennis Hallman, the girl's cornerman, had to jump in the cage to save her from probably dying.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

El Roncho posted:

I remember watching a fight on AXS where a dude had been ground and pounded unconscious but the ref just stood idly by. His reasoning was that he didn't know he was out because the dude's eyes were still open.

That's Alex White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UR7OsWbKYc

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, did the ref even end up calling the fight off or did people just ignore him and come in the cage anyway?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

IIRC, Babcock retired after that happened, I'm not surprised.

Also, there was this great one from Bellator, where the fighter chokes the guy out with the von Flue and has to argue with the ref to let him know the guy is unconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fr5bGzP6fQ

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

Holy poo poo, did the ref even end up calling the fight off or did people just ignore him and come in the cage anyway?

The latter, Sherdog has it as a corner stoppage and you can just make out his corner calling him a loving moron in that clip over the commentary team doing the same. Ref is Rusty Sullivan, which wounds like a Monster Factory custom character or some poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

The latter, Sherdog has it as a corner stoppage and you can just make out his corner calling him a loving moron in that clip over the commentary team doing the same. Ref is Rusty Sullivan, which wounds like a Monster Factory custom character or some poo poo.

It sounds like a pseudonym made up by one of Dale Gribble's alter-egos.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

To be fair to the Bellator ref, nobody in pro mma should lose by von flue choke, ever.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Did you guys know Bec Rawlings is fighting at UFC 223? If you aren't pumped then bro are you even a fan of mediocre fighters?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

She is a garbage fighter but that card is pretty decent. Especially for 2018 UFC.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

Doesn't this line up with Novitsky, when he was on Rogan's podcast? He talked about tainted supplements being a mitigating factor, but called attention to fighters using supplements that weren't third party verified/tested for their ingredients. I don't know if that applies with WADA v USADA, but Novitsky was very specific that the responsibility for what they are taking is on the fighters and their training staff.

Pretty much. Novitsky was pretty clear in outlining to Rogan and the public that his job is to be sure fighters have everything they need to be safe and not to blow a test.

Whether or not a substance is tainted doesn't matter. The question is only have you taken something you shouldn't have. Everything else is colour.

There's testing facilities available, theres 3rd party tested lists of approved supps and there's lists of banned supplements. If you take it and it pops youre getting a ban no way around it and it's the right call. If you have no ban for a tainted supplement its way to easy for a fighter to buy something they know to be tainted, get the benefits and claim ignorance later.

For that matter theres not much reason for fighters to be taking anything other than protein powder, fish oil, vitamins and Pedialyte.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Pretty much. Novitsky was pretty clear in outlining to Rogan and the public that his job is to be sure fighters have everything they need to be safe and not to blow a test.

Whether or not a substance is tainted doesn't matter. The question is only have you taken something you shouldn't have. Everything else is colour.

There's testing facilities available, theres 3rd party tested lists of approved supps and there's lists of banned supplements. If you take it and it pops youre getting a ban no way around it and it's the right call. If you have no ban for a tainted supplement its way to easy for a fighter to buy something they know to be tainted, get the benefits and claim ignorance later.

For that matter theres not much reason for fighters to be taking anything other than protein powder, fish oil, vitamins and Pedialyte.

It's an open secret in the fitness/bodybuilding supplement industry that the majority are placebos at best and tainted at worst. They have a fairly powerful FDA lobby that ensures they don't have to be accurate with their labels, a random sample only has to be within 10% of the claimed protein content. There's a few companies that do 100% accurate, verified labelling, for not much more money than the sawdust-and-chocolate-flavoring bullshit supplements. There's really no reason not to be diligent, especially if your livelihood depends on passing frequent tests for PED's.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Is Edgar v Ortega confirmed? Garbrandt said he was interested, and I think that'd be a fun fight, although the Ortega matchup is better for the division. I assume Ortega gets the title shot if he wins?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Diaper Albini is gonna fight Mr Oplot, Alexei Olenik at UFC 224 in Brazil. Can he ezekial choke a baby?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Oleinik is gonna cause some SIDS.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

El Roncho posted:

lmfao

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The Korean Zombie's knee rehab has gotten to the point that he's going to start jiu jitsu classes again in a couple of weeks, but he's also having a third baby so if he's back this year I'd expect it to be late in the year

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

El Roncho posted:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Word on Twitter is that Punk's Chicago opponent will be Mike Jackson. Mickey Gall being the special guest referee is not confirmed yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Word on Twitter is that Punk's Chicago opponent will be Mike Jackson. Mickey Gall being the special guest referee is not confirmed yet.

Michael Jackson is dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mewse posted:

Michael Jackson is dead.

So you're saying Punk has a slim chance of winning?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Woodley is really pulling for Nate, seems like Nate is game this time as long as he gets enough of a camp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cyber Dog posted:

Woodley is really pulling for Nate, seems like Nate is game this time as long as he gets enough of a camp.

Lolling thinking about rda's reaction to this if it goes ahead

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

Lolling thinking about rda's reaction to this if it goes ahead

https://twitter.com/RdosAnjosMMA/status/961258399911485441

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

He's not wrong. TWood's cowardice continues.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Woodley has no business fighting any Diaz.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

not bad as an appetizer. make the diaz fight dana.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I wonder how Diaz vs a welterweight grappler will end this time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This is a dire loving card. https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/961355669558394881

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well Cyborg beat Evinger decisively so the logical step is to have her fight a woman who got loving crushed by Evinger. (and whose first GIS result is Laura Sanko, who Evinger kissed in the ring).

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Well Cyborg beat Evinger decisively so the logical step is to have her fight a woman who got loving crushed by Evinger. (and whose first GIS result is Laura Sanko, who Evinger kissed in the ring).

They didn't learn anything re: Valentina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As a hardcore UFC fan, I have never just outright skipped 2 consecutive PPV's since I started seriously watching the sport. The UFC is going to test me next month.

• Locked thread