Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I prefer to read the source manga these days, but it seems this one is a straight-up original anime so...on the wishlist, I guess.

yeah its an anime original. the director's ishizuka atsuko, whos an incredibly talented lady who has mostly been working on lame light novel adaptations, so im glad she actually gets to stretch her legs with something original and good instead of having to elevate kind of lame material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought a Switch today and instead of being a normal person and getting Mario or Zelda I bought Doom again because new things are scary and might be crushing disappointments but a game I've already sunk 300 hours into over 3 platforms will always be good. I'll do the same with Wolfenstein 2 whenever that comes out.

(I'll buy Mario when my 200GB MicroSD card arrives but I'm still not sure about Zelda since the only one I liked was ALTTP 20 years ago)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

breath of the wild is pretty different from the ocarina of times and stuff of the world, you might dig it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Schoolgirls? In an anime??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got to the celeste smb3 puzzle and i don't think i'll ever see a better meta-puzzle in any video game ever now

Jay Rust posted:

Schoolgirls? In an anime??

believe it or not, schoolgirls exist in real life and sometimes they go on to direct anime

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mainstage of evo this year is gonna have 2 anime games and tekken, the good guys are finally winning

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GUI posted:

(I'll buy Mario when my 200GB MicroSD card arrives but I'm still not sure about Zelda since the only one I liked was ALTTP 20 years ago)

if you liked the openness of alttp breath of the wild is designed to have a similar feel to that instead of being like any of the traditional 3d ones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

mainstage of evo this year is gonna have 2 anime games and tekken, the good guys are finally winning

more importantly marvel is nowhere to be seen, lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

if you liked the openness of alttp breath of the wild is designed to have a similar feel to that instead of being like any of the traditional 3d ones

Yeah, it's not a dungeon crawl, it's more like a Zelda-themed Elder Scrolls game (except without the bugs and grinding).

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

No Marvel (Infinite or otherwise) the year all the MCU poo poo is supposed to finally pay off.

Was Infinite even on the main stage last year? Did it even ever GET a year?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

No Marvel (Infinite or otherwise) the year all the MCU poo poo is supposed to finally pay off.

Was Infinite even on the main stage last year? Did it even ever GET a year?

infinite wasnt out last year. Infinite never got a year. that game is probably the most distastrous FG launch ive ever seen. nobody likes it and is playing it and its too 'big' and mainstream for a dedicated tiny community to form around it. aquapazza legitimately had more of a scene than infinite ever will.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

It really depends on what you got out of the exploration of LTTP because I was a fan of bombing a wall in LTTP and finding a little mini dungeon that had a heart container at the end and BOTW doesn't really satiate that. BOTW's more along the lines of "see that in the distance? you can go there". A lot of the bombable areas and stuff hidden behind waterfalls and such have just very plain chests with not great prizes.

But if you liked some of the puzzly rooms in LTTP-adjacent Link Between Worlds, the Shrines are basically that a hundred fold. I just thought it was weird how inorganically smattered around they were. A couple of them are fun to find but the majority are just all in plain sight, I kind of wish they had you work for it a bit more.

It is a good game though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Did kof14 ever get main stage?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endorph posted:

more importantly marvel is nowhere to be seen, lol

Congrats to Smash Bros Melee, a decade old game, for beating MVCI that launched six months ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinite got an exhibition match after the finals of mvc3. It was hilarious how much everyone was trying to shill for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Congrats to Smash Bros Melee, a decade old game, for beating MVCI that launched six months ago.

rwby just beat out disney

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Melee came out 17 years ago. Death comez for us all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wait did cross tag battle already come out? Really commit to it this far in advance?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait did cross tag battle already come out? Really commit to it this far in advance?

its not out until august.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
where's nitroplus blasterz heroine's infinite duel

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

There can only be one anime fighter dev on main stage and that's ArcSys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

probably on a side tourney somewhere, around the melty blood, unist and arcana heart players, aka, in the real poo poo section

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Did kof14 ever get main stage?

no

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

probably on a side tourney somewhere, around the melty blood, unist and arcana heart players, aka, in the real poo poo section

Last year it was in the same group as Competitive Catherine and Puyo Puyo Tetris, aka, "better than the main stage"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Competitive Catherine

i know this is just the puzzle part or whatever but the mental image of people trying to fail a relationship the fastest is funny

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

oh heck yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing the LiS prequel is reminding me how much I hated the 'real' ending of the original and also how much I hate stories where you know the characters are doomed from the start.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing the LiS prequel is reminding me how much I hated the 'real' ending of the original and also how much I hate stories where you know the characters are doomed from the start.

How do you feel about Taro Yoko games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I love those, but I admit I might be somewhat of a masochist.

That feeling of helplessness when you want to stop it but know that there's nothing you can do, it's great when well done.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

GUI posted:

I bought a Switch today and instead of being a normal person and getting Mario or Zelda I bought Doom again because new things are scary and might be crushing disappointments but a game I've already sunk 300 hours into over 3 platforms will always be good. I'll do the same with Wolfenstein 2 whenever that comes out.

As a pc gamer, a switch is on my “definitely, eventually” list to cover most of what I’m missing out on, is the switch in a position where it’s better to buy physical or digital? On pc, I’m 100% digital (no surprise), but Nintendo is dumb about online purchases, or at least they have that reputation. I’d prefer to have an sd card with all the Nintendo developed games I’ll buy for it, but it seems like physical game cards are safer if your switch hardware gets hosed up? also prices, at least on amazon

At this point, I’m waiting for the first hardware refresh (at the earliest when I’d buy one), but it’ll definitely be the first Nintendo hardware I’ve purchased since the N64.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh “real” ending? I don’t think one is considered canon more than the other

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

As a pc gamer, a switch is on my “definitely, eventually” list to cover most of what I’m missing out on, is the switch in a position where it’s better to buy physical or digital? On pc, I’m 100% digital (no surprise), but Nintendo is dumb about online purchases, or at least they have that reputation. I’d prefer to have an sd card with all the Nintendo developed games I’ll buy for it, but it seems like physical game cards are safer if your switch hardware gets hosed up? also prices, at least on amazon

At this point, I’m waiting for the first hardware refresh (at the earliest when I’d buy one), but it’ll definitely be the first Nintendo hardware I’ve purchased since the N64.

you'd have to get a micro-SD card to go digital and even then, if you bought a lot of nintendo first party games you might hit the memory wall sooner rather than later. i go digital and eshop for everything that's not a first party nintendo game, mainly because they generally hold their value real well if i ever want to sell it and i cbf filling up a memory card with ten big games. i'd rather have a hundred smaller ones

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you feel about Taro Yoko games

They own, consistency isn't really my thing.

Macaluso posted:

Uh “real” ending? I don’t think one is considered canon more than the other

Much as I prefer the other ending you're kidding yourself if you don't think the ending they spent more than five minutes on is what the writers considered the real ending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Everybody who liked marvel vs capcom is either still playing marvel 2, switched to anime fighters years ago, or is playing dbfz. Possibly all three.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
every fighting game is an anime fighting game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Divekick was the pinnacle of the fighter genre.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time I saw someone use the term air dash fighter instead of anime fighter which is technically accurate but a much worse name

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this dragon warrior speedrun from agdq this year is fuckin' awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

precision posted:

this dragon warrior speedrun from agdq this year is fuckin' awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

Hell yeah it is

• Locked thread