Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sakurazuka posted:

Much as I prefer the other ending you're kidding yourself if you don't think the ending they spent more than five minutes on is what the writers considered the real ending.

I mean, that's nonsense. I guess "spent more than five minutes on" is referring to the one that lasts longer but it's longer because you have a week's worth of history to re-write/tell instead of letting everything be destroyed, so it's going to be bit more involved. Neither one is more canon than the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What made me upset with LiS ending is that they make it out as you having only one correct choice (do nothing) when the obvious choice should be to intervene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That just comes from the games weird attitude towards Max's time travel powers, like it seems to want you to think they're bad and nothing good comes of them, which both comes off as weirdly punitive for a character who got them completely by accident and also provably wrong since she unearthed a crazy serial killer and stopped him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This discussion comes up a lot in these threads so im just gonna truncate my past points and say

if you save the town, you're a cop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Divekick was the pinnacle of the fighter genre.
:whitewater:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

That just comes from the games weird attitude towards Max's time travel powers, like it seems to want you to think they're bad and nothing good comes of them, which both comes off as weirdly punitive for a character who got them completely by accident and also probably wrong since she unearthed a crazy serial killer and stopped him.

The weird thing is that Max’s powers gives her actual agency in her life but the one situation where she can physically do something she just... doesn’t and this is apparently the right choice.

Me, hiding in a closet as my friend is being murdered: It can’t be helped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

life is strange isnt very well written

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it's just a shame I had to get to the last half hour before I realised it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Expect My Mom posted:

This discussion comes up a lot in these threads so im just gonna truncate my past points and say

if you save the town, you're a cop

I mean a way too large number of the player base of the prequel comply with David’s fascist orders to empty your pockets so I can believe that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

life is strange wants to force you into a difficult choice at the end but it forgets to write likable characters other than the one it wants you to have a dilemma over

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

The first four episodes are, its just the last episode faceplants near the finish line and explodes, making the whole journey pointless.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Played the first hour of Prey and I'm pretty disappointed at how bland the story setup is. I'm in a facility where monsters have taken over due to failed scientific research. They could have done anything with this IP, anything. Big budget, get creative. Instead, I'm introduced with the most generic story beats imaginable. Metroid Prime, Half-Life, and Doom all have this same setup. Add in the disembodied voice that is tracking your every move and says poo poo like "You don't know what's going on. That's ok, just listen to me if you want to live" and you have Dead Space, Bioshock, and Far Cry. It's just such a well worn path by so many big names it's disheartening how generic it is. I feel like I can smell a shocking human experimentation reveal and a betrayal by a major NPC coming from a mile away even though I know next to nothing about the story so far.

I hope the levels get creative and interesting, but after playing Wolf2 as my last FPS I'm also worried about that. Midway through that game you get the choice of an augment - ramming shoulders, chest compressor, or stilts. Yet the way this is used is, for example, to have a freestanding locked room in the middle of an area. You can either use stilts to climb up through the ceiling, or compress and go through the vent, or ram through the doorway. The 3 diverging paths are almost always right next to each other, making it a very shallow sense of choice, especially since most people will only have 1 augment most of the time. I hope Prey doesn't fall into a similar trap where I have a locked door so I can either grab a keycard from a desk nearby, or gloo gun up to a window, or hack something if I have the skill. I find this very superficial. Something that is challenging to parse initially then comes into focus as I think about it is a type of puzzle I enjoy more, even if there is only one set solution.

Since I've experienced very little actual gameplay so far I'll give it a few more hours at least. Maybe the gunplay is good and something really interesting will happen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arkane is more used to the system shock/thief/deus ex-y school of level design than machinegames so i trust prey to be good at that when i start playing more of it later

narratively it does definitely have an issue with just, being so much of a spiritual sequel to system shock 2 that it copies a lot of its narrative tricks and a lot of the stuff that was novel in shock's been worn out by newer games and only works in ss2 cause it executes it really well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

life is strange wants to force you into a difficult choice at the end but it forgets to write likable characters other than the one it wants you to have a dilemma over

Also this, it would have been a harder choice if I gave a poo poo about anyone in town.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I mean a way too large number of the player base of the prequel comply with David’s fascist orders to empty your pockets so I can believe that

you keep bringing this up and i think people might comply with orders from police for reasons other than thinking that hitler was right. for instance, not wanting to get into trouble, with the police. just a thought.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll report on before the storm when i play it through my brother's library with steam family sharing and announce whether or not i support fascism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

security guard, w/e.

if you want to take an issue with that entire subplot and how it deals with authority i think maybe the fact that the game clearly sides with david and makes a lot of his concerns out to be well-founded and his actions to be extreme but just is a better stance to take than 'people listened to a school cop in a video game, death to america'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait I lied, my main motivation for 'gently caress the town' was hoping it would take David out, what an rear end in a top hat. He also managed to make me hate two characters, Chloe's mum would be a sympathetic character if she didn't turn a blind eye to how awful he was with Chloe.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought most people emptied their pockets to make him look bad in front of Joyce

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apparently there's a RE7 DLC that is just about a guy punching zombies to death with his bare fists. That's kind of amazing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felynes are perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_iHrzETdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQFGpxomlc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Add in the disembodied voice that is tracking your every move and says poo poo like "You don't know what's going on. That's ok, just listen to me if you want to live" and you have Dead Space, Bioshock, and Far Cry. It's just such a well worn path by so many big names it's disheartening how generic it is.

if january pisses you off then just fuckin shoot him

you also get all the neuromods he would've given you throughout the game instantly like this

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm more into melynxs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

if january pisses you off then just fuckin shoot him

you also get all the neuromods he would've given you throughout the game instantly like this

lol prey giving you the ability to just fuckin shoot everyone is what makes it sound like a good iteration on the genre

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I hope the cat that couldn't hold on is okay

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope the cat that couldn't hold on is okay

Palicoes are more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna know if you can make a really ugly cat in that game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife and I are looking to adopt a cat soon from a shelter, and I had to stop browsing because I was getting way too attached to all the cats. It’s hosed up, man.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanna know if you can make a really ugly cat in that game.
there's no such thing as an ugly cat. you can make ugly cat armor, though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want to have all of the cats

chumbler posted:

Palicoes are more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

I hope the cats consider maybe some kind of safer method of doing whatever they were doing in that video

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Safety doesn't really factor into fighting monsters the size of an apartment complex.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am in a race against time to get my palico robot armor before the event expires

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

palicos live for danger
https://twitter.com/e9o/status/960175753714221056

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am in a race against time to get my palico robot armor before the event expires
where are you at right now? if you need someone to come in and just gently caress all your monsters up so you can get to hr6, let's go

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wish that that from software monster hunter game got localized. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YES YES YES YES YES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/4954/announcing-the-surge-2

quote:

We're excited to announce the development of The Surge 2!

After the success of The Surge, our hardcore Action RPG released in May 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, we are happy to announce the renewal of the partnership between Deck13 and Focus Home Interactive and the development of The Surge 2, with a release date planned for 2019 on consoles and PC.

The Surge 2 keeps what fans and critics loved about the original – hardcore combat utilizing a unique, dynamic limb targeting system and deep character progression – while also expanding greatly upon the formula.

The Surge 2 takes place in a brand new environment: a sprawling, devastated city with larger and more ambitious level design, made possible by Deck13’s upgraded and improved engine.

Combat is more brutal and tactical than ever, with even more options thanks to an expanded limb targeting system. In addition, more abilities, weapons, implants, and drones give players a vast arsenal to build their character with, in their fight against the array of diverse new enemies and bosses.

More information about The Surge 2 will be unveiled at Le What’s Next de Focus – February 7-8, the yearly press event organized by the French publisher in Paris. Deck13 will talk more about their new title to the international press, so stay tuned.

The Surge 2 will release on consoles and PC in 2019.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only other person i cared about in lis presumably makes it out of the town (the homeless lady you warn)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All you people who saved Kate just to let her die in a hurricane are the real monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

All you people who saved Kate just to let her die in a hurricane are the real monsters.

She was in a well-fortified hospital, either that or her parents already picked her up. Headcanon complete, you are now free to time nuke the bay.

• Locked thread