Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Tha's gonna take a long time to clean up, no more fuel issues.

edit: poo poo, reminiscent of the fatal Mark Porter crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Aw don't let this finish under SC, it was such a good battle till then

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Is the race finished or are they gonna clear up then restart?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
They won't restart.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What a hit still shocked.

Twice a year it's really awesome to live in Bathurst.

poo poo they haven't stopped time.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
This is over surely?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's got to be over. 4 minutes left.

*edit*
Yep. Race over.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Race is over.... poo poo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

That's some bullshit tbh

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
lovely end but cant blame that on race control

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It’s gonna take them ages to clean the mess up but still a disappointing end all up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

lovely end but cant blame that on race control

lol what "can't blame that on race control"

They were loving asleep when that crash happened, there was a good 10-15s before the Merc came around the corner when they could have called FCY, I know at least one corner worker saw it and was shouting in his headset because he had his yellow flags out and waving frantically, but loving RC didn't call the full course yellow at all and the Merc plowed into the Audi. They're both really loving lucky they're not dead tbh.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
You could hear the first part of the crash happening on tv when the car in front went through but it’s hard to know if race control saw it before the merc arrived on the scene

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh Christ, that’s not a good end to the motor race. Everybody safe? Any video of the incident? Missed the end of the race.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There possibly is. The bloke in the Audi took longer to get out of the car but they all walked afterwards. I think at least one guy was chucked in the ambulance to head back down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Oh Christ, that’s not a good end to the motor race. Everybody safe? Any video of the incident? Missed the end of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZb_OmKS88&t=47s

E: you can see the marshal coming around the barriers shouting in his headset to race control as soon as the Audi tags the wall. Dude almost gets taken out when the Merc slams the crashed Audi 15 seconds later. How RC didn't react to the marshal calling a large crash at the top of the mountain is confusing to me.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 4, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hindy’s absolutely right, that’s a real bad noise :aaa:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

lol what "can't blame that on race control"

They were loving asleep when that crash happened, there was a good 10-15s before the Merc came around the corner when they could have called FCY, I know at least one corner worker saw it and was shouting in his headset because he had his yellow flags out and waving frantically, but loving RC didn't call the full course yellow at all and the Merc plowed into the Audi. They're both really loving lucky they're not dead tbh.

I agree with you for the most part, but ya know it wasnt helped by John Martin arriving many seconds later faster than he should have through waved yellows at the most blind part of the track

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

One good thing about the red flag: Whingecup didn't win

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

I agree with you for the most part, but ya know it wasnt helped by John Martin arriving many seconds later faster than he should have through waved yellows at the most blind part of the track

I've only seen the video above but for me it's simple, if there were yellow flags visible before that corner, that driver in the Mercedes should be banned for a very long time for ignoring them.

If there weren't, then there are serious procedural questions to be asked.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

I've only seen the video above but for me it's simple, if there were yellow flags visible before that corner, that driver in the Mercedes should be banned for a very long time for ignoring them.

If there weren't, then there are serious procedural questions to be asked.

There will be an investigation into it for sure, it was an absolutely brutal crash that a decade ago even would have killed both drivers. We will just have to wait to see what happens when they dissect the second by second time line of the crash.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'd be absolutely shocked if heads didn't roll from that crash. Like either the Merc ignored yellows or somebody did not get a yellow flag going fast enough.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean there's going to be a break down of

1) What did the safety marshal and the corner worker say to RC when the crash happened? Did they call the crash in or were they in panic mode?
2)If the called the crash in, what did RC do? Did they make the right call and call a FCY? If they did, did the other corner workers act on RC's orders? If not, are the corner workers ignoring RC calls?
and then
3)The race director has an override into all the drivers headsets, if the race control made the right call and called the FCY, did he get on the drivers radio network and break in and call the FCY?

Basically it's going to be figuring out who hosed up, and where they hosed up. It's a horrific crash and thank god no-one is dead, but there's going to be a lot of buzz over this for a while. This crash turned out ok basically by accident, because by all rights, if that crash had been just a little different we would have had one if not 2 dead or grievously wounded drivers. That crash had all the ingredients of a fatality accident, and they are both extremely lucky that they lived through it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 4, 2018

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

So there is some camera phone footage of the crash where you can see the marshals post up the road.

You can see the marshal running to the post with the flags not waving just as the merc comes flying round the corner.

Someone is really going to be in some poo poo for that.

Sorry about the FB footage, as thats where I saw it.

https://www.facebook.com/Josh.Muggo/videos/10155069035091583/

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 5, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

So there is some camera phone footage of the crash where you can see the marshals post up the road.

You can see the marshal running to the post with the flags not waving just as the merc comes flying round the corner.

Someone is really going to be in some poo poo for that.

Sorry about the FB footage, as thats where I saw it.

https://www.facebook.com/Josh.Muggo/videos/10155069035091583/

So wait, the corner marshal on the corner where the crest is, was not in his post? He was off loving about when the crash happened, and so the yellow didn't get passed because he couldn't get back to his corner stand in time? Ah holy poo poo that's so hosed. The yellow was called by RC, but since that dude was loving about 10 metres away from the marshal's stand, couldn't get back in time to get his flags and warn the merc, which had already passed the previous corner's flag marshal.

Bogans gonna bogan. He's also so fired from flag marshal work, they'll never let him work a corner again. (I know it's volunteer unpaid work, but the point remains he won't be allowed to do poo poo related to safety again.)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 5, 2018

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That’s a huge fuckup and not what I’ve seen from heading to the race previously. It’s normally a crew of 3 with one having the radio hooked up telling the others to wave flags. Must’ve been the radio guy who was awol which is hosed

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That’s a huge fuckup and not what I’ve seen from heading to the race previously. It’s normally a crew of 3 with one having the radio hooked up telling the others to wave flags. Must’ve been the radio guy who was awol which is hosed

I mean they'd had an unprecedented run of green time, but the fact that they got that lax at the end is pretty bad, especially getting lax on the top of the mountain where all your corners are blind and fast. The drivers absolutely depend on the corner workers to have their heads on straight and let them know what's coming up ahead of them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, just because you're a volunteer doesn't give you a pass for not doing a job and being directly responsible for a fairly serious injury.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the fallout continues:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/06/drivers-call-improved-safety-mt-panorama/

Basically the drivers want better safety across the top but CAMS have said that everything is fine and no-one did anything wrong in the poo poo show crash. Both drivers thankful they where in Euro left hand drive cars. I saw both of the strakka AMG's heading toward Sydney this afternoon just on a normal semi rather than a semi or anything else. Seems odd that they wouldn't bother putting them on a special transport truck for their ride back to the port or airport to head back home.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMAO CAMS saying everything is fine is like that loving fire dog meme

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

And the fallout continues:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/06/drivers-call-improved-safety-mt-panorama/

Basically the drivers want better safety across the top but CAMS have said that everything is fine and no-one did anything wrong in the poo poo show crash. Both drivers thankful they where in Euro left hand drive cars. I saw both of the strakka AMG's heading toward Sydney this afternoon just on a normal semi rather than a semi or anything else. Seems odd that they wouldn't bother putting them on a special transport truck for their ride back to the port or airport to head back home.

Holy poo poo how many ads is that website clocking up? My ad blocker hit 273 then gave up rendering the site.

That was a pretty crappy decision from CAMS

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo how many ads is that website clocking up? My ad blocker hit 273 then gave up rendering the site.

That was a pretty crappy decision from CAMS

Mine hit 14 then stopped. They're about the only website to get that sort of info about Australian racing from and I only use it around 12hr time. Apparently next year Aston Martin is sending 2 cars for a factory backed effort. Should help things up cause I'm sure bentley will come back every year until they stop GT3 racing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

quote:

The body claims the officials followed the ‘correct procedure’ and that matters regarding to track safety will always be investigated.

“CAMS can confirm that its officials followed correct procedure at Bathurst on Sunday,” read a statement issued to Speedcafe.com.

Then there were yellow flags and a driver should be kicked out of racing.

Of course we know this to be a lie so they'll do jack poo poo and wait for someone else to die.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Dudley posted:

Then there were yellow flags and a driver should be kicked out of racing.

Of course we know this to be a lie so they'll do jack poo poo and wait for someone else to die.

Bathurst is pretty much Australian racing’s only great track and one CAMS would do just about anything to hold onto along with the cops who park at the top to bust speeders when races aren’t on. The entire top half of the track is unsighted in a road car cause of the walls so I’d hate to think how much less you see in a race car where you pretty much sit on the floor and are below the top of the wall. Surely they’ll have to do something to improve safety but at the same time the blokes doing sandtrap duties are the blokes from the local council with the mowers pulled off the tractors so the funds would need to be external.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

That is the spot where Mark Porter died in a very similar incident, followed a few years later by this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvjMcK2rAk where the flag was waving and Pither said he saw it but couldn't avoid Weel

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dunno, if enough people realize CAMS doesn't give a poo poo, and safety crews are poorly trained, equipped and no-one's gonna finance safety upgrades at the track, eventually international drivers are gonna stop running there.

Just kidding they will keep running there because Bathurst is a loving exhilarating track to go around. Dangerous as all hell though.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Another iconic German brand is ending it's long-running sportscar program

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I always liked the Haribo racing livery.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress you 2018 you suck. :(

A wet fart of a Daytona 24, and now this? Too far 2018, you went too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm surprised this hasnt been brought up. so Toyota's WEC team asked that the date for Fuji be moved a week so that it wouldnt clash with the US F1 race so Alonso could do Fuji. WEC said yes but now Fuji and Petite Le Mans are the same loving weekend. What a bunch of idiots.