Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress printers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

sneakyfrog posted:

gently caress printers

Get a printer contract. I cannot praise ComDoc service enough.

Sales, you usually have to negotiate the price down. But their service is amazing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beefstorm posted:

Get a printer contract. I cannot praise ComDoc service enough.

Sales, you usually have to negotiate the price down. But their service is amazing.

yup this is my answer to ANYTHING having to do with goddamn printers.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Related article that I haven’t read yet:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/02/12/why-paper-jams-persist

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Get a printer contract but don’t get a Xerox printer contract because you still end up supporting it yourself anyway.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Get a printer contract but don’t get a Xerox printer contract because you still end up supporting it yourself anyway.

God, I thought this was just a local thing (we have two main printer companies here, one is Xerox and hot loving garbage).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I led a couple training classes for Xerox service reps. They were good and nice, but then they decided dealership networks should do all the sales and service. So unless you're on a government contract, or some other $Bigmoney customer, you don't have real Xerox service and it probably shows.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a relatively new thing for Xerox (5 years or so?) and they sucked before then too.

Since we're in the small shop thread, as a general rule of thumb I try to avoid the monoliths in whatever space I'm dealing with. I'm not saying you gotta go mom and pop, but there's no reason to do business with the Xerox, AT&T, Ciscos of the world if you can avoid it. Obviously you sometimes don't have a choice.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

I have no experience with Xerox direct. But ComDoc, also owned by Xerox, has done an excellent job of keeping us happy. Service requests are usually handled same day or next day, assuming they don't need to order a part.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can believe it, the tech isn't necessarily bad and I could see it being supported well under different management. For me it was more like same week or next week and if it needed a part, who knows. And "well I guess it's just not going to work" instead of helping to work through complications during a non-traditional but necessary deployment.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Methanar posted:

The economics of Just Use Office 365 / Google apps

help me with this one pls

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

IMO the requirement of reliability means you need to be able to see what's going on, unmanaged switches are a black box so you're going to be constantly second-guessing what the causes of any issues are as you have no way to see port statistics, STP topology changes etc.
code:
 ####  Curr: 534.18 MBit/s
 ####  Avg: 540.88 MBit/s
####  Min: 534.18 MBit/s
####  Max: 545.96 MBit/s
 ####  Ttl: 113158.91 GByte
uptime
 01:36:21 up 32 days
Quick math tells me that I push about 55 petabyte of video traffic a month across 1008 unmanaged switches.

e: did my math wrong. It's only 3.1 pb. Still a lot tho.

e; I did my math wrong again. I was right with the original 55pb

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I don't remember any of the math or old work I've done on it. I haven't done that kind of IT in over 2 years at this point. But it was clearly Don't Ever Buy Anything Else. Do Not Ever Buy Exchange Server Again. Just Use Office 365 Licensing

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 9, 2018

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Careful application of holy water will fix that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Automatically having Cortana shout at you at max volume was the dumbest loving design decision.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Automatically having Cortana shout at you at max volume was the dumbest loving design decision.

Windows 10s full of similarly brain dead design decisions.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Windows 10 went from exceptionally promising at release to full-blown trash fire and unfortunately for humanity there wont be any real blowback against MS because of their massive market saturation.

Oh well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I want to sit in ltsb 2015 forever

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't hate Win 10 that much aside from all the settings menus and the actual setup of it.

So, really everything that pertains to my job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

I don't hate Win 10 that much aside from all the settings menus and the actual setup of it.

So, really everything that pertains to my job.

Do you not use MDT, or some other imaging platform?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Fool posted:

I mean, yeah, I do. But still all the phone-menu-esque Settings menus in Windows 10 are garbage.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

Real q is there any other imaging platform worth considering for windows deployment?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

Yeah but it's a poo poo sandwich trying to configure Windows so all your settings aren't reset for every new user profile. And its hosed how easy it is to break your install so sysprep craps out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Real q is there any other imaging platform worth considering for windows deployment?

Dell's KACE appliance is the true light and the way

edit-- if you're a Dell shop

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

COOL CORN posted:

Dell's KACE appliance is the true light and the way

edit-- if you're a Dell shop

Really? I have heard horror stories about KACE.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KACE :vomarine:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you're going to do imaging and recovery with ancient tech, use good ancient tech.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I want to sit in ltsb 2015 forever

LTSB 4 Lyfe

They really should have released the LTSB as "Enterprise Edition," but that would require admitting that not all shops want the Windows store on every workstation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You mean to say the Xbox app isn't mission critical to my enterprise?!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Let me clarify - I last used KACE 5 years ago and inherited it from someone who had done the config already, so maybe that's why I have fond memories of it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GreenNight posted:

You mean to say the Xbox app isn't mission critical to my enterprise?!

how else do you manage your xbox cheevos though?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Methanar posted:

The economics of Just Use Office 365 / Google apps

I like that one. Going to da cloud :nsacloud: is usually more expensive than small clients expect it to be and invariably more expensive than rolling your own Exchange/Sharepoint/SBS/postfix/dovecot/exim/DIY-setup. I don't know where the optimism about cutting costs even comes from but it's almost never justified. The same is true for larger companies (i.e >a couple thousand seats) who end up paying a lot due to sheer volume but they usually also have a dedicated licensing person around who shoujld see that coming (which they mostly don't). It's weird. I don't hear Microsoft sales people say "hosted services === cheaper" ever these days but the idea is quite persistent.

Other topics I wrote words about on an internal blag in the past
-How to set up a phishing campaign to train your employees at recognizing really obvious scams ... in under 30 minutes (subtitle: 'are you ready to face that people will click anything')
-How to get every admin to embrace automation (Tough, I have had limited success by asking each to find something simple they do periodically and then teaching them all the same basics and adding specifics individually on how to automate their thing away after. Once they know the sweet taste of victory over boredom, repetition, their professional demise a lot are motivated enough to keep going with self study/ripping off stack overflow
-Thought experiment: you're run over by a bus. How do you make sure your company IT survives this inconvenience?
-Finding out who is uploading a Sponge Bob bit torrent through the company WLAN - a quick start in network monitoring
-Locking down company laptops so Henry's nephew doesn't install a bunch of bit torrent stuff again - a primer in device hardening and compliance

-

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Old Binsby posted:

I like that one. Going to da cloud :nsacloud: is usually more expensive than small clients expect it to be and invariably more expensive than rolling your own Exchange/Sharepoint/SBS/postfix/dovecot/exim/DIY-setup. I don't know where the optimism about cutting costs even comes from but it's almost never justified. The same is true for larger companies (i.e >a couple thousand seats) who end up paying a lot due to sheer volume but they usually also have a dedicated licensing person around who shoujld see that coming (which they mostly don't). It's weird. I don't hear Microsoft sales people say "hosted services === cheaper" ever these days but the idea is quite persistent.
SBS has ridiculous human overhead. Like, keeping that poo poo working is a huge pain in the rear end. And since invariably they're buying the cheapest poo poo they can get, the fight over Exchange mailbox limits alone is almost worth just rolling Office 365. Additionally, you have way fewer five-figure outlays with O365; instead of having to buy a five-figure server every five years (or, let's be real, ten), you just have a monthly fee that pretty much stays the same.

I guess it depends on what you consider "small," and what exactly you're doing (the fewer application servers you have to support, the better) but anything under 30ish employees is gonna be cheaper to have in the cloud. Anything under 20 is going to be way cheaper.

Then again, it's been a couple of years since I got out of small shop, so maybe things have changed.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

Other topics I wrote words about on an internal blag in the past
-How to set up a phishing campaign to train your employees at recognizing really obvious scams ... in under 30 minutes (subtitle: 'are you ready to face that people will click anything')
-How to get every admin to embrace automation (Tough, I have had limited success by asking each to find something simple they do periodically and then teaching them all the same basics and adding specifics individually on how to automate their thing away after. Once they know the sweet taste of victory over boredom, repetition, their professional demise a lot are motivated enough to keep going with self study/ripping off stack overflow
-Thought experiment: you're run over by a bus. How do you make sure your company IT survives this inconvenience?
-Finding out who is uploading a Sponge Bob bit torrent through the company WLAN - a quick start in network monitoring
-Locking down company laptops so Henry's nephew doesn't install a bunch of bit torrent stuff again - a primer in device hardening and compliance

-
[/quote]

This is good stuff let me chew on it for a while

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the Cloud = Cheaper argument gets overdone and is too simple. But Exchange Online is cheaper (at least at the numbers that would qualify as a small shop) than doing it yourself properly - e.g. distributed data centres, some form of message filtering, a smarthost to ensure your sender reputation is always good, staff time to patch the servers, storing the mail databases on something durable etc.

You're going to lose the battle if you're trying to make a bunch of Office 365 licensing and EM+S come out cheaper than a single SBS box in the corner that's not been touched for years. If you drift further into product evangelist territory rather than looking purely at economics then there's a value associated with having a small IT team not having to worry about email availability or capacity planning, and taking a few months out every few years to handle hardware replacement and migration of services.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the Cloud = Cheaper argument gets overdone and is too simple. But Exchange Online is cheaper (at least at the numbers that would qualify as a small shop) than doing it yourself properly - e.g. distributed data centres, some form of message filtering, a smarthost to ensure your sender reputation is always good, staff time to patch the servers, storing the mail databases on something durable etc.

You're going to lose the battle if you're trying to make a bunch of Office 365 licensing and EM+S come out cheaper than a single SBS box in the corner that's not been touched for years. If you drift further into product evangelist territory rather than looking purely at economics then there's a value associated with having a small IT team not having to worry about email availability or capacity planning, and taking a few months out every few years to handle hardware replacement and migration of services.

You're right I'm not arguing agains the economics of scale or in favor of running your own stuff on ancient hardware in a corner of the office. I just thought it funny that for some reason a lot of middle managers seem to have the idea ingrained that moving to cloud stuff means instant cheaper everything, even or especially in the short term. Thinking about it, the problem is probably that while you don't have to buy servers up front, of course you do still need to pay for licenses. Everything else is gravy: don't have to spend hours configuring a network, databases, proxies, load balancers, backup, database copies, virus scanning, spam filtering and so on. That's all very nice but the only cost that gets cut when you move is at the very front and it's a once-a-decade expense anyway. Whatever all of the rest costs is baked into the second item, the licenses, which is suddenly payable per month or year instead of sporadically at the end of a long hardware lifecycle process. I guess I'm answering my own question but no matter the gains in other areas, the total on the first monthly or yearly bill is usually higher than was expected.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I managed some SBS and Exchange boxes like 7-8 years ago and my god I would never do that again. Im sure its better now (probably NOT!), but Office 365 has been my savior over the last years. And gently caress outlook. How in hell did MS make it worse, not better?!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Having office 365 let’s you get and retain more qualified IT staff because no one competent will want to manage SBS

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

I managed some SBS and Exchange boxes like 7-8 years ago and my god I would never do that again. Im sure its better now (probably NOT!), but Office 365 has been my savior over the last years. And gently caress (insert microsoft product name here). How in hell did MS make it worse, not better?!

fixed that for ya pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm incompetent and do not want to run SBS anymore.