Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Glad to see 5 is ranked the lowest, it definitely was for me with McNulty faking murders :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Season 4 is the greatest season of television in history. Which makes this the greatest scene in the history of all of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

God I love this scene.

I was expecting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClTuBXqQ24

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

puppets freak me out posted:

We doing spoiler tags in this thread?

The thread is designed to be completely open about spoilers, I just spoiled my earlier post because I was unsure if the guy who had posted was doing a rewatch or a first watch, and I figured I'd just err on the side of caution to be nice :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its funny I beleive the original thread before this one had an extremely strange spoilers always on policy because nobody had seen the show and everyone was "wow I just started for the first time!"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I'm on my first rewatch in at least 5 years and the pacing of season 3 kind of threw me off, partly because I had the whole timeline of that season mixed up. I thought Stringer told Avon about D much later, so it was weird to me that they were acting all chummy together the very next episode. I guess they just buried that poo poo and moved on with their business because they're gangsters? And they decided not to tell Brianna too?

I also thought the rooftop scene between them was way earlier, but you can definitely see the tension between them and they almost know that they sold each other out. The whole Stringer-Barksdale story line is so good.

But 43215. There are so many crushing scenes in S4, drat.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(not a response to the post above or anything but) it’s been 10 years and I’m still so baffled that Simon thought that serial killer plot could work on the same level as everything else in the show and not just come off as ridiculous. I know some claim Hamsterdam is equally unrealistic, but I think that tracks far better as something desperate police would actually do. If it wasn’t for the superlative work in every other aspect of McNulty’s character over five seasons it would definitely be something that ruined him for me (and I guess Freamon too but atm I can remember his involvement)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I feel like a different show could have done the serial killer plot fine. I could imagine a season of the shield where they do that for some reason, easily, but it was off-theme for the wire.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

(not a response to the post above or anything but) it’s been 10 years and I’m still so baffled that Simon thought that serial killer plot could work on the same level as everything else in the show and not just come off as ridiculous. I know some claim Hamsterdam is equally unrealistic, but I think that tracks far better as something desperate police would actually do. If it wasn’t for the superlative work in every other aspect of McNulty’s character over five seasons it would definitely be something that ruined him for me (and I guess Freamon too but atm I can remember his involvement)

It wasn’t a good look for freamon either. Early freamon is lecturing herc on the importance of properly building a case, piece by piece, and not taking shortcuts to undermine yourself. Season 5 is freamon going “hell yeah jimmy let’s use an illegal wiretap and do this thing”

Freamon has a renegade streak (it landed him in the pawn shop unit) but not to the extent of straight up breaking the law, that I can remember.

E: oh wait, I just remembered the “are we still cops?” scene with him and jimmy and Omar in season 1. Maybe it is consistent then I don’t know whatever

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The serial killer thing to me always read as Simon doing an inverse take on the "juking the stats" theme which had been running throughout the show. Even in the Homicide book, he states that the BPD Homicide Department would deliberately hold back charging documents on outstanding murders over Christmas and the New Year if that year's clearance rate was high enough, so they could get a good start on the numbers for the next year. And of course, there's the inherent juke of a charge meaning that only about 10% of those charged with a murder ending up in court, with the rest being dismissed, placed on the stet docket, plea bargained out or the person they were charging being dead. In the show McNulty's grand plan (in his mind anyway) was to invent the serial killer, get the green flowing to nail down Marlo, throw out a charging document he knew had no way of sticking but providing he'd made a decent effort of making the case he could slink back into the shadows without anyone becoming suspicious. Naturally his own hubris seemed to hide the blindingly obvious fact that any kind of serial killer is always going to make the news and it ran away from him. What was it Freamon said? "The bigger the lie, the more they believe?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Making the news was the whole point and he was frustrated when it didn't at first. The look in the reporters eyes when he confirms his made up details was pretty great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 8, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Templeton looks around awkwardly and the curb theme starts playing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For all the issues I have with the newspaper storyline, I'll forever love McNulty "confessing" to Scott and giving him the BIGGEST news story he will ever get in his life, safe in the knowledge that Scott could never report it without exposing himself.

Paraphrased, but McNulty's "I know why I did it, but the one thing I can't figure out is what YOU get out of this?" is such a great line.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Making the news was the whole point and he was frustrated when it didn't at first. The look in the reporters eyes when he confirms his made up details was pretty great.

I know he wanted it to make the news, but I genuinely think he was so short-sighted he couldn't see how big a story it would end up becoming and reasoned that the usual police response of "make a big show of force while it's fresh, then gradually scale it back" would be as far as it went

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Not the kind of double post I'd like to make

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/962104269385191424

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat. RIP.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh drat. RIP.

Yeah RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpG92dsx1A

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thought of that scene too. RIP :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahh man, I always loved him whenever he appeared in anything, and he was so great in The Wire.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

not to take away from Cathey's acting, but Carcetti's reaction is loving priceless

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
We’ll never find out who Norman voted for :(

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bummer about Cathey. Dude was great in House of Cards too.

Norris Davis, who played the rim shop owner, tried to stage a a sequel play, but got shot down. As much as I want more, I don't think that's the way to do it.

Edit:
Just spotted this on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/963137903982448641

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thought of that scene too. RIP :(
Indeed - I can't not grin every time I see him fake-hide his laughter.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

Just one chapter contains stories about Wendell Pierce and Dominic West taking a young Michael B. Jordan to a strip club for “character research” and the actors judging a “pretty pussy competition,”

are we sure those two were actually playing characters and not just getting filmed

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The plural is pussae.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

deoju posted:

The plural is pussae.

Give me that pussy, now you gonna take my shoes? That ain’t right, poo poo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

are we sure those two were actually playing characters and not just getting filmed

It totally seems like a Bunk and McNulty thing to do

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/963769118917890048

Happy V-Day Wire fans

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Big if true

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/963759952207761414

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I forgot about that book, just grabbed a copy. Not gonna finish until I’m done with this rewatch, but I’m really looking forward to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Homicide? It's an excellent book, and so is The Corner. The latter might be even better but they're very different experiences. Absolutely give them my highest recommendation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah the oral history of the Wire that just came out called All the Pieces Matter, which is what the AV Club article is getting its info from.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh right, I got confused by "oral history" and thought it was a podcast or something :sweatdrop:

Yeah that does sound like a good read

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Currently going through season 4 on my fifth? Sixth? rewatch and I can confirm, this show is still pretty dang good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Just finished my re-re-rewatch marathon. Bump's last line of the series always kills me. Where he is mumbling/grumbling "letters...numbers..."
I think Bump was the most consistently awesome character throughout the show.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 18, 2018

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Hasselblad posted:

Just finished my re-re-rewatch marathon. Bump's last line of the series always kills me. Where he is mumbling/grumbling "letters...numbers..."
I think Bump was the most consistently awesome character throughout the show.

How do you rewatch the show and not know what is the name of the man :raise:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

drat, twice even. I have nothing to blame beyond the cough meds. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it's not like he sailed halfway round the world and didn't learn no motherfucking english