Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Jecht was a negligent and abusive father that turned into a terror to all living non whatever he is. He has probably the best written arc in 10, imo, but he is also one of the most odious characters in the franchise to me.

e: do i need to post a first page pup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
It appears 16 times in FF8, almost always due to poor translations. It was also a joke.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So Jecht is basically Yondu (from gotg2) now that I think of it, he just never got to have the heart to heart with Tidus that would spell it out.

The “worst” thing about Squall was falling for Rinoa seemingly out of nowhere and that can be explained easilly enough with her being hot and him being a teenager. Never minded him, but got to admit, at the age I played it I thought his stoic guy persona was unironically cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We had a recent person play through and completely gently caress up the interpretation between the final moment between jecht and tidus. And that is why game writing suck, because people at large can't understand simple poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

We had a recent person play through and completely gently caress up the interpretation between the final moment between jecht and tidus. And that is why game writing suck, because people at large can't understand simple poo poo.

I don't know what you're talking about, FF7 did a great job with its story of the badass serious super soldier, the timid woman with mysterious powers, and the badass kung fu chick who takes no poo poo from anyone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I liked Jecht and Tidus' scenes in Dissidia.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, FF7 did a great job with its story of the badass serious super soldier, the timid woman with mysterious powers, and the badass kung fu chick who takes no poo poo from anyone.

I will always believe that FF7 is just an extension of NA FF6's market pen. It looks worse, plays worse and has a worse story than the pixelart of it's source. The switch to sony discs allowed them to expand everything. They made FFX. and FFX2 I guess.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:thunk:

Alternatively, source your quotes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey speaking of FFX-2, I've heard a lot of people hate on it but I've also heard it has an Actual Job System™. Is that true or is it a lie like how people told me FFXII had a job system?

because I'm still starving for a game with a proper job system

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It does have a job system, yes. Though it had some different twists on them (Songstress instead of Bard and Alchemist instead of Chemist, for instance).

But if you like a job system and pretty dress-up, it's a solid battle system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it has a proper job system where you swap jobs and everyone has a special outfit for their job

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The highlight is that you can swap jobs mid-battle on the fly.
Really fun though for me it got dragged down by way too many minigames.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
The X and X-2 battle systems were the most redeemable things. I wish they had made a well plotted game with those mechanics instead of steering hard into the brush

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You’re in luck then since the story in the FFX series owns as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dress-up and proper jobs is exactly what I'm looking for, so I guess I gotta finally finish X :v:

I'm 20 hours or so into FFXII now though, how many hundred hours do I have left?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Your Computer posted:

Hey speaking of FFX-2, I've heard a lot of people hate on it but I've also heard it has an Actual Job System™. Is that true or is it a lie like how people told me FFXII had a job system?

because I'm still starving for a game with a proper job system

It's sort of in-between 3 and 5/Tactics stuff. You gain abilities and skills by obtaining AP (from doing stuff in combat) but you can't mix and match skillsets. Unless you have an accessory/garment grid that lets you do that. Even then, though, you can only take skills from a small handful of other jobs rather than being able to choose between 'em all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Depends how much of a completionist you are.

I casually completed probably 70% of the hunts and sidequests and I clocked at maybe 70-80 hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

Dress-up and proper jobs is exactly what I'm looking for, so I guess I gotta finally finish X :v:

I'm 20 hours or so into FFXII now though, how many hundred hours do I have left?

If you're on x4 speed another 20 hours or so, if you're not god help you

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
It seems pretty telling that most of the FF remasters have the speed up thing. Latent admission of the failure of momentum in their games maybe. I definately wouldn't have finished FF7 if I couldn't speed that bs up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does it ever surprise anyone else how many posts this thread gets

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Final Fantasy is a widely beloved and popular franchise. There’s always a lot to talk about.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
my old man

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And it’s like 20+ games by now. Top of my head I can’t think of any other franchise with that many entries, but would bet on fire emblem or dragon quest as runner ups.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Does it ever surprise anyone else how many posts this thread gets

same, except games in the series

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you count the spin-offs I think Pokemon still wins.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Avalerion posted:

And it’s like 20+ games by now.

At my last count, which was more than a few years ago now, it was over 40. It's probably cleared 50, easily, by this point. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The series also reinvents itself with every new mainline title so people can relitigate how everything went downhill after whatever FF they played when they were twelve.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just want Bravely Third.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's constant releases too, and several of them even have their own threads.

e: Off the top of my head, there's FF14, thr mobile games, Dissidia, and maybe 15 and World still have threads...?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Terper posted:

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/944584489153335298

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whats it say?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Whats it say?

Twitter auto translate says, "Merry Christmas."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lol shoulda guessed that. Anyways I'll take some Bravely switch ports at least

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Isn't the team that did Bravely working on Octopath Traveller right now?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, I imagine they still have plans and preparations made for their next few projects.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You know for a game in a series called final fantasy the conversation between tidus and jecht at the end of 10 was incredibly real

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

You know for a game in a series called final fantasy the conversation between tidus and jecht at the end of 10 was incredibly real

Imagine the same exchange except instead of abandoning you as a child and turning into a 10-storey invincible sea monster your dad voted Trump.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I bought a cheap ps4 slim, after having not owned a console since the ps1. I was mainly looking at bloodborne but I fell in some sort've hosed up ditch of jrpgs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine the same exchange except instead of abandoning you as a child and turning into a 10-storey invincible sea monster your dad voted Trump.

I hate you dad but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

:pray:

Happy Merry Christmas :unsmith: Heck, I'd take re-releases of the games on the Switch too. Even with the low poly models, the towns would look gorgeous in a non-DS resolution. Also every game should be on the Switch because the Switch is good.