Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

All you people who saved Kate just to let her die in a hurricane are the real monsters.

If you go back and let Chloe die she kills herself anyway because doing anything with your knowledge of what's going to happen counts as time fuckery and it's hurricane time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

If you go back and let Chloe die she kills herself anyway because doing anything with your knowledge of what's going to happen counts as time fuckery and it's hurricane time again.

Kate is at the funeral. It's literally the best scenario for everyone else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's loving dumb and I hate the ending even more now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's some FF13 'yeah we're just gonna do what it wants and hope everything works out by magic' poo poo right there.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My office closed today because of an ice storm so I'm spending the day chilling on the couch with my cats and playing Bayo 2. This game is so loving good. Maybe after this I'll give W101 another chance for the fifth time. That game should be fun, but two things kill it for me.

1 your dudes getting scattered when you take damage

2 drawing those loving shapes with the control stick

I'm glad I only paid six bucks for it years ago. I've gotten six bucks of entertainment from it, but I wish I enjoyed it more.

Now back to my Platinum day off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Endorph posted:

you keep bringing this up and i think people might comply with orders from police for reasons other than thinking that hitler was right. for instance, not wanting to get into trouble, with the police. just a thought.

He’s not a cop though, and not a security guard at that point either. He’s not even your stepdad yet!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gently caress da police, and yourselfie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also seeing as the upcoming sequel is (from what little we know so far anyway) going to have little if anything to do with the first game I don't really think one ending of Life is Strange is any more "canon" than the other (though I will agree that it's clear they spent a bit more time on the Sacrifice Chloe ending).

That said, if you can get past the fact that you already know the main characters are doomed no matter what you do, I'd say Before the Storm is still worth a try (though it has its own share of problems). It's a bit more of a self-contained story than the first one, a lot of the more annoying or tedious aspects of the original are gone, your choices actually matter a bit more due to the lack of a rewind function and in my opinion Chloe is just a far more interesting protagonist than Max was. It also recontextualizes some stuff which in my opinion actually improves the experience of the original. In other words, it's a prequel done right.

Though with the exception of a bonus episode coming out next month, all the old actors are gone thanks to the SAG strike that was going on at the time of the game's initial release but the new ones still do a pretty good job (a few are nearly indistinguishable from the original voices in fact).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 7, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

One time I saw someone use the term air dash fighter instead of anime fighter which is technically accurate but a much worse name

There is in fact an Air Dasher thread on this very website, I think it's actually a pretty good term bc it encapsulates more games that fit the mechanical bill while also sidestepping the opportunity for extremely funny conversations about what anime is for 17 years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is cool, the surge was a game with a genuinely rad core combat system with kind of repetitive and boring level design. I wish these guys the best in making their sci fi Dark Souls vision get better and better

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally beat the hotel in Celeste after taking FOREVER getting the strawberries during the final "boss". I had a hell of a time timing the jumping on his head to get the jump reset/height I needed each time. It felt really satisfying when I finally manage to get them.

So before going forward, I went back and decided to get all the strawberries in the first stage as well as find the B-side. I'm still missing ONE strawberry and I have no idea where it is so I have to go back and comb it again. BUT I found the B-side and decided to try out a B-side. Now THAT poo poo is challenging. As far as I can tell there's not collectables so the challenge is 100% using your skills to get to the end of the screen. It feels REALLY good to beat a screen in the B-side mode. It also taught me something I didn't realize for three stages, which is that when you run out of climbing/dashing stamina, you can still wall jump back and forth if the walls are close enough together. I thought you'd just drop and lose all energy to even do that. So it felt like I was learning a whole new skill thanks to the B-side, even though the like, 8-bit levels or whatever you wanna call them have only wall jumping, no wall climbing. There have been a ton of times where I've gotten angry and swore at the game because I died over and over trying to get a strawberry but it always feels really satisfying when you finally get it. The movement feels satisfying enough that I don't TOO often feel like I'm dying for bullshit reasons. Although I still think the game has issues with sending you in the exact direction you're trying to go, which stops the game from being a 10/10 game for me.

That challenging platforming though is :discourse:. The levels are really well put together and the level design is SO on point. Another game that furthers my belief that procedural generation is a scourge upon video games. I can't WAIT to start seeing speedruns of this game

edit: Like this part! What a fun platforming challenge this particular screen was:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 7, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

This is cool, the surge was a game with a genuinely rad core combat system with kind of repetitive and boring level design. I wish these guys the best in making their sci fi Dark Souls vision get better and better

yeah that was my problem with Nioh, the level design, though the combat for Nioh/Surge was really good. Bloodborne def has the most incredible level design of any "Souls" games but if the neo-nightmare city Surge 2 is doing pans out, I would totally play it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

He’s not a cop though, and not a security guard at that point either. He’s not even your stepdad yet!
fine i dont wanna get beaten up by some crazy homeless dude

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Somebody took my fuckin' recycling bin again this morning.

Why would you steal a recycling bin? What could you possibly be doing with that?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Why would you steal a recycling bin? What could you possibly be doing with that?

Recycling

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Maybe they need to recycle things ever think of that mr selfish!!!!

edit: what's more in the spirit of recycling than using something that's not yours :headtappingmeme:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Raxivace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rTD37lNKvE

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe someone took theirs and they need one

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope the cat that couldn't hold on is okay

Don't worry, hunters and cats can fall an entire kilometer and land unscathed

they always land on their feet, you see

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Took me long enough but I just finished The Sexy Brutale. gently caress what a good game, I just wish there was more of it.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Raxivace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnwa9xvqMg

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat The Evil Within 2, and it was really good. Evil Within 3 when?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr E posted:

I beat The Evil Within 2, and it was really good. Evil Within 3 when?
After 2 but before 4.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 3vil Within

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd like a third but it depends on how long Bethesda are willing to finance their vanity single player AAA games that are all 1/4 the price two months after launch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd like a third but it depends on how long Bethesda are willing to finance their vanity single player AAA games that are all 1/4 the price two months after launch.

Probably as soon as they run out of platforms to port Skyrim on.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Macaluso posted:

Finally beat the hotel in Celeste after taking FOREVER getting the strawberries during the final "boss". I had a hell of a time timing the jumping on his head to get the jump reset/height I needed each time. It felt really satisfying when I finally manage to get them.

So before going forward, I went back and decided to get all the strawberries in the first stage as well as find the B-side. I'm still missing ONE strawberry and I have no idea where it is so I have to go back and comb it again. BUT I found the B-side and decided to try out a B-side. Now THAT poo poo is challenging. As far as I can tell there's not collectables so the challenge is 100% using your skills to get to the end of the screen. It feels REALLY good to beat a screen in the B-side mode. It also taught me something I didn't realize for three stages, which is that when you run out of climbing/dashing stamina, you can still wall jump back and forth if the walls are close enough together. I thought you'd just drop and lose all energy to even do that. So it felt like I was learning a whole new skill thanks to the B-side, even though the like, 8-bit levels or whatever you wanna call them have only wall jumping, no wall climbing. There have been a ton of times where I've gotten angry and swore at the game because I died over and over trying to get a strawberry but it always feels really satisfying when you finally get it. The movement feels satisfying enough that I don't TOO often feel like I'm dying for bullshit reasons. Although I still think the game has issues with sending you in the exact direction you're trying to go, which stops the game from being a 10/10 game for me.

That challenging platforming though is :discourse:. The levels are really well put together and the level design is SO on point. Another game that furthers my belief that procedural generation is a scourge upon video games. I can't WAIT to start seeing speedruns of this game

edit: Like this part! What a fun platforming challenge this particular screen was:

I started the B Sides, got to this exact screen and felt like I just did not have the skills or the brain power needed for it, rather than any sort of mechanical failing and it's rad that there's those levels of content exist

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYvAKEDuuo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

loving :laffo:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

In development for several months, Focus Home Interactive and Vostok Games – the developing team behind the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise – chose the annual press event “Le What’s Next de Focus” taking place in Paris on February 7-8, to unveil Fear The Wolves, the post-apocalyptic,

*jumps up to dunk*

quote:

FPS-Battle Royale. Releasing in 2018, the game will offer a new and original take on the growing Battle Royale genre.

*misses the rim, goes face first into the padding*

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Every time I think it can't get any better...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

*jumps up to dunk*

Hey at least we still got Metro: Exodus.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i refuse to believe there's a french video games conference called "le what's next de focus"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Discount Viscount posted:

Every time I think it can't get any better...

this is the apex. no one make a steamed hams again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the cover of that song is better than the original

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ok I've seen this posted in like 5 different places but I don't get it. Why's it so funny?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Not a Children posted:

ok I've seen this posted in like 5 different places but I don't get it. Why's it so funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lnZr022M8

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe someone took theirs and they need one

the cycle of revenge is the plot to naruto

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

*jumps up to dunk*

Pretty sure GSC still owns the rights to STALKER, not Vostok, so they're who you should be looking out for a new cheeki breeki

not that I wouldn't enjoy a different janky eastern european nihilismpunk shootgame that is basically anything other than battle royale, so :suicide: regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean Vostok made a big deal out of being "the people who made STALKER!" like 5 years ago when they left GSC and the first game they announced was a multiplayer survival crafting open world DayZ clone that went into early access hell and no one ever gave a poo poo about. Them annnouncing a PUBG clone is the least surprising thing in the world.

edit: i just checked and survarium still hasnt come out, after launching a beta build in 2013 and then 2015

• Locked thread