Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sitting volleyball. . . that sounds like a sport for me.

The Glumslinger posted:

Screw It — Let’s Debate Some Hypothetical LeBron Trades

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/screw-it-lets-debate-some-hypothetical-lebron-trades/

This is a fun article that doesn't take itself too seriously

I like this.

The reasons people hate Nate Silver are all valid but his articles that are just text logs between him and his staff are generally fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Sitting volleyball. . . that sounds like a sport for me.

I like this.

The reasons people hate Nate Silver are all valid but his articles that are just text logs between him and his staff are generally fun.

Its basically the exact same thing as any of those Ringer or ESPN deadline articles, except they don't pretend that they are all good smart trades

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

DeimosRising posted:

Is there evidence of a meaningfully higher rate of injury this year?

Apparently, more players than ever before have played in the NBA this season. Just shy of 500 or so. I think that stat is some meaningful evidence that there are more injuries, even though that number could be inflated by other causes like coaches playing more young players to tank.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/961297632101588992

Pungry posted:

Apparently, more players than ever before have played in the NBA this season. Just shy of 500 or so. I think that stat is some meaningful evidence that there are more injuries, even though that number could be inflated by other causes like coaches playing more young players to tank.

The NBA expanded the roster size this year, you can now have 17 players, 2 of which split time between the NBA and the D-League

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Noctone posted:

Lakers fans aren't nearly as smug and arrogant, I'm fine with that.

LMAO at how short-sighted and ahistorical this take is.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
If Dwight becomes a cav I’ll kill myself. None exaggeration

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Jesus loving christ Josh Jackson. :cripes:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Glumslinger posted:

The NBA expanded the roster size this year, you can now have 17 players, 2 of which split time between the NBA and the D-League

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe the injury stuff really is just more noticeable due to who is getting injured.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Papercut posted:

Jesus loving christ Josh Jackson. :cripes:

Its OK, he got them back

https://twitter.com/SunsNationNBA/status/961146091625467904

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I need the All-Star break just to catch up on all the dunks, drama, and injures.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So, uh, what the Clips doing?
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/961302111043584000

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Clippers can still trade Lou Will because he was extended rather than signed as a free agent, right? I have no idea why they did that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wow guess Vlade actually won a trade

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

yeah i dont really get this

lou williams might as well be the most obvious trade deadline fodder in history and the clippers seem committed to a rebuild. why?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

G-Hawk posted:

yeah i dont really get this

lou williams might as well be the most obvious trade deadline fodder in history and the clippers seem committed to a rebuild. why?

Reloading, not rebuilding :shepface:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Brolander posted:

Dude, Dwight took a team to the finals

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only thing I can guess is that Lou Will puts butts in seats, but they think that:

a) They will not be good in the next 2 seasons
b) That he does not move the needle on the teams w/l record

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Brolander posted:

:therapy:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Embiid is sacrificing all the other big men so he can live

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brolander posted:

brolander join me and aggressivelystupid on bandwagoning lebrons new team next year thanks in advance

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I am a posting ronin

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Oh a bucket getting guard just went off the big board? Well good news Tyreke Evans is still available

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

This is apparently not true

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/961311819628347393

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/961305899447889920

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel so bad for Isaiah, this season is going to cost him tens of millions of dollars.

I don’t, dude is playing like rear end and is a locker room cancer. No one to blame but himself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

brolander join me and aggressivelystupid on bandwagoning lebrons new team next year thanks in advance
I'd like to take this chance to welcome you all to the Spurs fanbase
#gsg
We have the best healthy Latvian player in the league and he's only got like nine-ish fingers

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So the Clips have to be thinking Lou with time under contract will fetch more than Lou playing at a near all star level in a contract year right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Noctone posted:

I don’t, dude is playing like rear end and is a locker room cancer. No one to blame but himself.

Yeah, I would feel bad for him because injury sympathy and whatever but the dude is just being a total cock about the whole thing so I don't really care about him losing money because he can't keep his dumb mouth shut

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Papercut posted:

LMAO at how short-sighted and ahistorical this take is.

*still Rivals posting about a team whose last important game against Blazers happened almost 17 years ago* THE LAKERS FANS ARE TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

Also E.O., I survived Dwight, I know you can as well.

---

Yeah the Suns seem to really love Chriss so shopping him seems pointless since they are not trying to contend any time soon.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Come to Indiana, Bron. You get to play next to Dipo, Turner, and Sabonis.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Big four? more like a big f-ffffaaaaart

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Criss has the worst body language on the court I've ever seen. And he listens to everything being yelled at him which makes the former even worse

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Dude, Dwight took a team to the finals

Almost a decade ago.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

How many practices before he murders Lance?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hi! I'm the Knicks!

Our star big man just went down for the season, oh no!

Now we have to find a big man to take his place and his minutes.

Oh wait! We have an All-Rookie 1st team big man that showed great promise last year!

This works out perfectly, lets take this promising young player on a cheap contract and give him KP's minutes to see how he develops trade him for peanuts!

gently caress this organization. Jesus Christ. Would it even be possible to be any more inept?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

So the Clips have to be thinking Lou with time under contract will fetch more than Lou playing at a near all star level in a contract year right?

My guess is they already got a collective "Nope" out of the trade deadline market and would rather keep him around to trade later then have him walk out the door. It all depends on the details of the extension, I guess.

It might just be they like him and it's not like Lou Williams is going to really hurt your tank all that much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:emptyquote:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

Screw It — Let’s Debate Some Hypothetical LeBron Trades

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/screw-it-lets-debate-some-hypothetical-lebron-trades/

This is a fun article that doesn't take itself too seriously

quote:

natesilver: I think there’s a … 70 percent chance that he leaves? I dunno. I’m not Woj. I just think there are other places where he’d be more likely to win a title and that he doesn’t have a lot to prove in Cleveland.
I dunno... I think I'd be willing to go over 90 percent on that... over 95 maybe.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Come to Philly, Bron. You get to play next to Embiid and Simmons.

checks out

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I feel like LAC extended Lou because Balmer likes him and he told them to. It's like ~7% of the cap too so eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Big four? more like a big f-ffffaaaaart

a big powerful fart

PotatoJudge posted:

How many practices before he murders Lance?

Probably 4, but I hold out hope that they come to an understanding.

Don't twist my words! :doom:

• Locked thread