Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

-Blackadder- posted:

I still havn't seen The Last Jedi yet, I hope it's better than that weird af paint-by-numbers pseudo remake of A New Hope. I mean I get that Disney didn't want to do what Lucas did and go too far off the rails, but goddamn put some creative effort into these things. It really can't be that hard to make a decent Star Wars movie.
The Last Jedi is a weird af paint-by-numbers pseudo remake of Empire Strikes Back, but with "But look we did the opposite things!!" and I dunno if that's better or worse ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A Very Fatal Murder is basically the podcast version of American Vandal. I like it a lot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's gonna be cool how, for the rest of Time, we're going to argue about if the new Star Wars movies were good.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s

JJ s2 Trailer, looks like they are going to have a much deeper mysterious origin for her powers than "toxic waste fell on me"

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly I would never get too defensive about Star Wars but Last Jedi just did everything right and is a legitimately fantastic and daring movie and I love it

Like diss Force Awakens as much as you like, I enjoy it a lot but am not especially passionate about it. But TLJ is so loving great, smart, thoughtful, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I loved TLJ and I like it more the more I think about.

Also look, I'm officially old enough that there's a nostalgic High School period TV show set during the period I was actually in HS :negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_YjzEvYeQ

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish I could watch a version of TLJ that was nothing but Rey/Luke/Kylo scenes. I would probably like that movie a lot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cloverfield Paradox was directed by an amateur and written by a hack. It’s not worth your 100 minutes.

Also lol at Gugu Mbatha-Raw getting 4th billing despite being the main character.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Cloverfield Paradox was directed by an amateur and written by a hack. It’s not worth your 100 minutes.

Also lol at Gugu Mbatha-Raw getting 4th billing despite being the main character.

...I thought the movie was fine. I’d much rather watch a kinda silly “chaos in space” film that plays it fast and loose with science than a super serious hard science sci-fi film that swings for the fences but trips and injures itself while lapping the bases (*cough*Intersteller*cough*).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 7, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Josh Lyman posted:

The billing is alphabetical, smarty pants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

If it weren't for the fact that they would have charged me for it I 110% would have gone Office Space on my Comcast cable box after I cancelled my service with them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I posted the same strip in the cord cutters thread. Kelly is always the best.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s

JJ s2 Trailer, looks like they are going to have a much deeper mysterious origin for her powers than "toxic waste fell on me"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa more Jessica Jones yesssss :supaburn:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

zoux posted:

Yeah I loved TLJ and I like it more the more I think about.

Also look, I'm officially old enough that there's a nostalgic High School period TV show set during the period I was actually in HS :negative:

That poor girl looks like Dustin from Stranger Things.

The show doesn't look too bad, I just hope they don't lean too hard on cheap 90's references.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The biggest mistake they can do is show whatever the Kessel Run is because it's going to be a huge disappointment

Han Solo is a drug smuggler and unless they changed the backstory of Kessel (probably!) it's a barely atmospheric planetoid with space spiders who create drug silk webs that the Empire uses slaves to mine.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Party Plane Jones posted:

Han Solo is a drug smuggler and unless they changed the backstory of Kessel (probably!) it's a barely atmospheric planetoid with space spiders who create drug silk webs that the Empire uses slaves to mine.

Does he always have a heart of gold or only later in life

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Party Plane Jones posted:

What canon is that from?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I'm just gonna warn you all right now, if that show hits me as hard as that trailer did I will never shut the gently caress up about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y’all should be watching Fresh off the Boat for that sweet mid-90s action.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I lost any and all interest in revisiting my past or any 90's nostalgia so I won't be watching that one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok then watch it because it's a great and funny show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Ok then watch it because it's a great and funny show?

Fresh Off the Boat? We watched the first few and it didn't hook me. I was talking about Everything Sucks though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It just dawned on me that rather than giving Lord and Miller a live action Star Wars film to work on, they should’ve just been given the all clear to essentially do Clone High again but with Star Wars characters.

They should’ve definitely used the time off to do CH s2, regardless.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Y’all should be watching Fresh off the Boat for that sweet mid-90s action.

See, it's not just the mid-90s thing for me (though I should be watching Fresh anyway for two of American Dad's best writers, Nanatchka Khan and Laura McCreary). I'm seeing multiple storylines that have my attention. I'm a bit of a sucker for stories about young love, but I loving adore the idea of a parallel narrative between their parents—one of whom is the school principal, who's so often a buzzkill in stories like this—and I wanna see how they play the obvious conflicts that would come as a result of this.

And yeah, it's definitely mid-90s nostalgia too, but it's a different kind of nostalgia than what I'd get from Fresh off the Boat. This is hitting the same buttons as Can't Hardly Wait did for me—CHW was way more absurd, but since it's one of my favorite movies of all time, I am so here for anything remotely adjacent to that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

It just dawned on me that rather than giving Lord and Miller a live action Star Wars film to work on, they should’ve just been given the all clear to essentially do Clone High again but with Star Wars characters.

They should’ve definitely used the time off to do CH s2, regardless.

What they really should have done:

:D

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

What they really should have done:

:D

...that's so jaw-droppingly obvious. I can't imagine that Lego has the movie rights to any Lego versions of Disney/Marvel/Star Wars characters, though.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 7, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Lego stuff was all produced by Time Warner right? I kind of doubt they'd play nice on that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I really would like a Clone High season 2 but I'm having a hard time trying to think what it would be. All the teen dramas today are actually superhero or fantasy dramas with teen characters or adults who act like teens.

...although I guess Scudworth making another batch of clones of famous people except with superpowers this time around would work pretty well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There is a Lego Star Wars TV show, however.

Also, Mickey Jones passed away at age 76. You might not know the name, but you know the actor. Also, he apparently had 17 Gold Albums.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

What canon is that from?

The first part is still canon but they changed the latter since Kessel is now an actual planet and not spider hell.

Very briefly the Kessel run is the run to smuggle spice from Kessel to (Nar Shaddaa? Tatooine?) in a designated timeframe/distance. Because Lucas didn't know what the hell a parsec was writers came up with the Maw to make Han Solo's boast make sense. The Maw is a nigh-unnavigable group of black holes (which ends up being the location of the Empire's most secret weapons R&D labs in ~the EU~) that most smugglers avoid, forcing them to take a longer route. Han plots a route through the cluster so that it's a quicker and faster run than it would normally be.

also
https://twitter.com/ChariotDaGawd/status/961335932350795781

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bryan Fuller was working on an Amazing Stories revival for Apple. But he quit. The new showrunner is the guy that created Bones.

https://www.avclub.com/bryan-fuller-has-now-bailed-on-apples-amazing-stories-r-1822814789

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Bryan Fuller was working on an NEW SHOW . But he quit.

This is how he's going to be remembered.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Probably be cheaper for companies to just license his name for a few months instead of actually paying him a salary

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
oh my

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/959182785607946240

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty much done with Fuller once he left American Gods. No point in getting excited about literally anything he’s attached to until it actually airs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Were either ME MYSELF AND I or THE MAYOR worth watching? I didn't really hear much about them between premiering and getting cancelled, but I know good stuff gets killed off all the time. Not sure whether to give them a whirl or free some DVR space. I liked the look of Mayor from the tv clips, and always liked Bobby Moynihan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This was a nice jab in the article.

quote:

meanwhile, Fuller is currently committed to helping Anne Rice transfer her Vampire Chronicles series of books to TV with Paramount, at least for as long as that lasts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

he's surprisingly jacked!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Were either ME MYSELF AND I or THE MAYOR worth watching? I didn't really hear much about them between premiering and getting cancelled, but I know good stuff gets killed off all the time. Not sure whether to give them a whirl or free some DVR space. I liked the look of Mayor from the tv clips, and always liked Bobby Moynihan.

The Mayor was good and funny, but I couldn't honestly recommend it given everything else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm starting to think that Bryan Fuller is not good at being a showrunner