Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is Firefox supposed to run 5 processes at once, even if the only window open is a blank page? If I kill the window, all of them go away, if I launch it again, all 5 come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's been pissing me off for a while, too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Edit: Ignore me. It was

#sidebar-header {
visibility: collapse;
}

Commented it out and selected TST in the sidebar header and all is well with the world.

I'm using Tree Style Tabs and have the native tab bar hidden. I accidentally pressed ctrl + b and it overwrote the TST sidebar with the bookmark bar. I can't figure out how to get it back. Help. Ctrl + b and Ctrl + h just open up and close the various sidebars, something turned off the TST sidebar.

You can also just press F1

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is Firefox supposed to run 5 processes at once, even if the only window open is a blank page? If I kill the window, all of them go away, if I launch it again, all 5 come back.

I think those processes are extensions actually.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

jokes posted:

I think those processes are extensions actually.

No extensions, and the only add-ons are video codecs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Probably just pre-loading the correct number of web processes? Shouldn't be a big deal.

You can test this by setting the number of processes manually in the preferences, just uncheck "Use recommended performance settings" and set the number of processes.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 5, 2018

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Tamba posted:

You can also just press F1
Yep, F1 is the built in toggle for Tree Style Tabs, and you can use this code in your chrome CSS to hide the sidebar header only on the TST sidebar:
code:
#sidebar-box[sidebarcommand="treestyletab_piro_sakura_ne_jp-sidebar-action"] #sidebar-header {
  display: none;
}

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Is this not just multiprocess Firefox? They have separate threads for the UI, rendering engine and some other stuff that's beyond me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm not worried, it just seemed a little unusual so I asked about it. Thanks for the information.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'm not worried, it just seemed a little unusual so I asked about it. Thanks for the information.

No problem. I suggest you run uBlock Origin though, as well as blocks ads it also helps protect against security problems improves performance.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Suddenly Firefox on Android is letting YouTube audio continue to play in other apps or with the screen off. This is handy for letting albums play, and I thought YouTube locks that feature begins the YouTube Red paywall.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
New Tab Override isn't working to override my new tab to be about:blank rather than my homepage anymore. Is there anything else that does do that?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

New Tab Override isn't working to override my new tab to be about :blank rather than my homepage anymore. Is there anything else that does do that?

It's simpler to just change about :newtab to a blank page, that's what I do at least. You can use userContent.css to do this, it goes in the chrome subfolder of your root profile folder (you can get there from about :profiles). You'll have to make both the folder and file since they don't exist by default.

code:
@-moz-document url(about:newtab), url(about:home) {
	body {
		overflow-y: hidden !important;
	}

#searchSubmit, #launcher {
		display: none !important;
	}

#onboarding-overlay-button, .prefs-pane-button {
		display: none !important;
	}
}

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, I'm looking for an extension that lets me download a bunch of images from a webpage quickly at once and saves them into its own folder, ideally one that lets you specify minimum image dimensions and stuff so it doesnt also grab every little icon and banner from the page too. There was a perfect one that broke with a recent update but the guy making it apparently isn't going to update it anymore, and I don't want to use an older version of firefox. The only one I've found on the extension browser page has like a 2 star rating so I don't really wanna install it unless I have to.

I read the OP and the last few pages of the thread and didn't see a similar question so apologies if it's been asked recently

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dangit, after a simple restart of FF, I am now also a victim of the weirdly squished together fonts:

It's all over FF - tabs, text, status bar, etc. What's the fix for thsi?

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, FF version 54.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pilsner posted:

Dangit, after a simple restart of FF, I am now also a victim of the weirdly squished together fonts:

It's all over FF - tabs, text, status bar, etc. What's the fix for thsi?

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, FF version 54.

54? Your Firefox is vulnerable to Spectre and other things; you either need to update to 58 or install 52.6 ESR if some of your necessary extensions aren't ready.

See if the font thing still happens on one of those.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

astral posted:

54? Your Firefox is vulnerable to Spectre and other things; you either need to update to 58 or install 52.6 ESR if some of your necessary extensions aren't ready.

See if the font thing still happens on one of those.
That wasn't what I asked, to be blunt. FF worked fine before a simple restart, and I think I've seen other people with this problem before.

I might give FF 57+ a try soon, but I have purposely waited until extensions and the community worked on fixing extensions and solving issues in 57. Jumping ship immediately to a new major version of a piece of software is always a bad idea.

If I can't fix this font thing, I will give it a shot soon. Is it a good idea to do a profile restore when upgrading? I don't want to lose my entered passwords, form fields, browsing history, etc.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2018

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Pilsner posted:

That wasn't what I asked, to be blunt. FF worked fine before a simple restart, and I think I've seen other people with this problem before.

I might give FF 57+ a try soon, but I have purposely waited until extensions and the community worked on fixing extensions and solving issues in 57. Jumping ship immediately to a new major version of a piece of software is always a bad idea.

If I can't fix this font thing, I will give it a shot soon. Is it a good idea to do a profile restore when upgrading? I don't want to lose my entered passwords, form fields, browsing history, etc.

lol are you trolling? Is this trolling? I can't tell.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pilsner posted:

You asked how to fix a problem with an unsupported browser. The answer is to use a supported browser, to be blunt.

Again, if you're worried about the extensions, use 52.6 ESR. Since you didn't upgrade to 55 yet, your profile is still able to downgrade to 52.x ESR easily. That's what I'd recommend as a first step.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

"unsupported browser"? You sound like Google or something. There's no rule in this thread stating we can't ask about older versions.

Edit: Thanks for the tip about ESR, I will try it.

xamphear posted:

lol are you trolling? Is this trolling? I can't tell.

Internet protip: When some douchebag posts "lol is this a troll?", they know full and well that said post is indeed not a troll.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 7, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pilsner posted:

"unsupported browser"? You sound like Google or something. There's no rule in this thread stating we can't ask about older versions.

As in nobody is patching the graphics crashes and security craters in it anymore.

Update your poo poo. Don't be an Internet Patient Zero or silent carrier.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pilsner posted:

Edit: Thanks for the tip about ESR, I will try it.

ESR sounds like your kinda thing. No sweeping/breaking changes on the point releases; just security fixes every 6 weeks for at least a year after each major ESR release. Guaranteed 12 week overlap between when a new ESR is released and when the previous one stops getting updates so if there are any bugs with the new one there's still some time for them to get fixed.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/ for more info.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 7, 2018

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

"Upgrading" to 52.6 ESR fixed the issue. Very strange, but thanks for the tip.

I will upgrade for sure at some point, but the whole "point" of Firefox to me are the extensions, which is why I've held back. If I didn't care about customizability or extensions, I might as well use Chrome.

My main concern is Tab Mix Plus, and to an extent, Classic Theme Restorer. We'll see.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Pilsner posted:

"Upgrading" to 52.6 ESR fixed the issue. Very strange, but thanks for the tip.

I will upgrade for sure at some point, but the whole "point" of Firefox to me are the extensions, which is why I've held back. If I didn't care about customizability or extensions, I might as well use Chrome.

My main concern is Tab Mix Plus, and to an extent, Classic Theme Restorer. We'll see.

Tab Mix Plus recently started testing a new version that's compatible with the newer Firefox. It's still early in development and I haven't tried it yet so I have no idea how similar it is to the original one. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus-webextension/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Firefox 58: The last week or so I've had trouble with pages being frozen or replaced with a spinner, when I switch to their tab. It takes a good while (10+ seconds) for it to fix itself, but I don't see any particular CPU usage during that time. I only remember seeing it on SA, but haven't tested in detail. I haven't tested with SALR Redux disabled yet.
It looks like some new feature that's supposed to make tab loading block less or something, but is there a way to disable that for testing?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nielsm posted:

Firefox 58: The last week or so I've had trouble with pages being frozen or replaced with a spinner, when I switch to their tab. It takes a good while (10+ seconds) for it to fix itself, but I don't see any particular CPU usage during that time. I only remember seeing it on SA, but haven't tested in detail. I haven't tested with SALR Redux disabled yet.
It looks like some new feature that's supposed to make tab loading block less or something, but is there a way to disable that for testing?

How's your memory usage looking? I get that effect when Firefox is unloading tabs to disk and having to pull it back up. Memory leaks via Javascript or whatever exacerbates it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

isndl posted:

How's your memory usage looking? I get that effect when Firefox is unloading tabs to disk and having to pull it back up. Memory leaks via Javascript or whatever exacerbates it.

No.

nielsm posted:

It's the new "off-main-thread painting" work no doubt.

EDIT: Or Tab Warming. Either way, lots of tab handling changes in 58.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 10, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This has been happening for weeks but it didn't really bother me while I wasn't using that computer until now: The first address I open in Firefox (latest 52 ESR) on my notebook, it takes a minute or two for FF to connect ("waiting for website.com..."), no matter what website I'm trying to load. After that, you can open websites as quickly as the servers allow. Even if it's a website that loads near instantly normally, it goes back to taking a minute+ to load if I restart FF and then back to normal once the first website has finished loading.

Safe mode gets rid of the issue, but disabling all addons does not so I'm guessing it's something in my config that's wrong. What option or setting might cause that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

There should be a list of about:config options you've changed in the about:support page. Maybe see if there's anything that stands out there? Mine's mostly filled with auto-generated printer settings, though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Do you have anything set in the proxy settings? Also if you're going to poke around about:config I'd do a search for "dns" and see if anything of those look changed. But really that sounds like one of those weird issues where it's going to be quicker to make a new profile and copy all your bookmarks, addons, etc. over than spend time trying to fix it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm trying to tidy up my old bookmarks, removing dead links and the like, but they keep coming back seconds after I delete them.

Yes, I do have bookmark backup through Firefox on, but surely if I delete the bookmark and sync they should go away...right?

I double checked what I'm syncing with and only my PC and laptop are present. My laptop is off.

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Firefox has asked me to participate in some sort of performance metric, which is annoying because it's creating a temporary new bar at the top of my view window, and spawning a new tab that I didn't ask for either.

There's apparently a way to opt out once you've joined, but there's no apparent way to refuse these overtures in the first place. I've poked at likely things in about:config, but that's just revealed that it's keeping track of the number of times it's asked... which kind of annoys me in and of itself.

It's a tiny thing, I know.

Edit: Nevermind! Mozilla installed an addon, that I never asked for, that controls this. Wow.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 4, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

Firefox has asked me to participate in some sort of performance metric, which is annoying because it's creating a temporary new bar at the top of my view window, and spawning a new tab that I didn't ask for either.

There's apparently a way to opt out once you've joined, but there's no apparent way to refuse these overtures in the first place. I've poked at likely things in about :config, but that's just revealed that it's keeping track of the number of times it's asked... which kind of annoys me in and of itself.

It's a tiny thing, I know.

Edit: Nevermind! Mozilla installed an addon, that I never asked for, that controls this. Wow.

Are you using release, beta, dev edition, or nightly?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Release. I haven't been bothered to use anything more cutting-edge than that in a year or two now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Preferences > Privacy & Security > Firefox Data Collection and Use > Uncheck "Allow Firefox to install and run studies"

Can you uninstall the studies these days? There was one that just stuck around in there for me forever until new profile time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thank you! I was looking for something like that. I don't mind sending basic telemetry and crash reports, but this kind of thing is intrusive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've always disabled telemetry, feeling a bit dumb for being :tinfoil: but I had a suspicion they would do something dumb sooner or later. Vindicated!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I always used to be anti-telemetry but this is the kind of thing that led to Windows 8.0 so now I leave it on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have no problems with most telemetry. I draw the line at browser history, largely, and turned off that stuff in Windows 10 install but leave Cortana on because I use her and bought a tiny USB mic plugged into my keyboard to make my desktop a poor man's Echo.

And yet the Mr. Robot thing caused me to disable "studies" because apparently that's a really inappropriate word for the things that feature can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
To change the subject, is there a status bar for Quantum yet?