Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Talow posted:

I'm getting this weirdest sense of deja vu. Oh well, guess I'll just try to guess the survivors or something.

Hajime clearly survives, because protagonist privilege.

And... The rest of the cast hasn't been introduced yet, have they. Welp.

No way, Hajime's going to cop it and we'll be lady-hand Nagito forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe we're starting route B, and now we play through the whole game again as Nagito.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hadn't made the connection before, but the game starts off with the player probably saying "I feel like I've been here before", with the DR2 cast having subtle (or not so subtle) resemblances to the first game's cast, and ends with literally going to the first game again. What do you call deja vu when it's for a time you had deja vu. :psyduck:

Sindai posted:

Maybe we're starting route B, and now we play through the whole game again as Nagito.

The game is like the Clue movie, "But what if it ended THIS way?!"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
A violin

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Cuntellectual posted:

I hadn't made the connection before, but the game starts off with the player probably saying "I feel like I've been here before", with the DR2 cast having subtle (or not so subtle) resemblances to the first game's cast, and ends with literally going to the first game again. What do you call deja vu when it's for a time you had deja vu. :psyduck:

I checked the first few updates again and one of the first things that shows up is what looks like the boot-up screen for an early-generation console or computer. This is shortly followed by Hajime standing in front of Hope's Peak Academy which in turn is shortly followed by distortions and glitches that escalate in severity. It looks like this has been a less than stable simulation from the very start, it's just that whatever was maintaining it was able to hold things together rather well up until Monomi and Chiaki 'died'.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Falconer posted:

I checked the first few updates again and one of the first things that shows up is what looks like the boot-up screen for an early-generation console or computer. This is shortly followed by Hajime standing in front of Hope's Peak Academy which in turn is shortly followed by distortions and glitches that escalate in severity. It looks like this has been a less than stable simulation from the very start, it's just that whatever was maintaining it was able to hold things together rather well up until Monomi and Chiaki 'died'.

This post reminded me that I'd meant to go cut a video for that console window introduction for some time now, so I went ahead, did it, and added it to the first update so that it'll be there when this thread goes to archives. I've actually been slightly updating some early updates for some time now, adding in more of Hajime's facial expressions to dialogue to better match how I handle him in more recent updates.

Regardless, if you want to see how that little opening plays out in video format like I should've had from the beginning, you can watch it here or check the first update: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpwDDcBoFlH4

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Huh. One of those things that smacks you in the face when you go back to it, but I'd forgotten all about it by the time the plot got rolling.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

I wasn't prepared for what was waiting for me on the other side of that door.

It was...a normal gymnasium.

: Y-Yo Hajime...!
: You heard the announcement and came here, too?
: You guys did too...right?

: H-Hey...what do you make of all this? Monokuma said this place was Hope's Peak Academy or something?
: Th-That cannot be possible!
: Y-You're right... Any way you look at it, it's impossible...

: Hellooooooo! How does it feel to return to the long awaited Hope's Peak Academy?
: Y-You...!
: Hey, where are we? Where'd you lock us up this time!?
: Wh-What a shock... I just told you guys this is Hope's Peak Academy...!

: There's no way in hell that's true...!
: Oh, but it is... I mean, this is definitely Hope's Peak Academy. Well, what's left of it anyway...
: What's left of it...?

: Didn't I tell you before? Unfortunately, Hope's Peak Academy fell to ruin.
: Y-You were serious about that!?
: I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
: But of course it fell to ruin... I mean, they were doing things that they deserved to be ruined for.
: Wh-What do you mean?

: Hmm...anyway, I'm pretty disappointed. I went to all this trouble to bring you to Hope's Peak Academy, and you don't feel surprised or nostalgic...
: Oh well. It's not like I did this for you guys.
: Even if you don't feel nostalgic, I'm sure *someone* is feeling nostalgic right now!

...Someone?

: Enough with this bullshit! Just spit it out already!
: Where'd you take us, you bastard!?
: Though I am not certain of my memories... I believe...we entered the ancient ruin and...

: It means... I made this Hope's Peak Academy between the door to the ruin and the inside of the ruin.
: What do you mean "between"!?
: What do you mean "made"!?
: Oh my! Are your minds getting the grumblies that only knowledge can satisfy?

: Good, very good... It's fine to hurry along to the graduation exam, but it's in my nature to provide a little entertainment.
: Entertainment... You're planning to make us do something, aren't you...?
: It's nothing to be so cautious about. It's not like you'll be making life exchanges or anything like that.
: It's just a simple graduation exam.
: Then...what is the graduation exam?

: Well, as the headmaster, I'm conflicted, you know. On one hand, I'm really happy that you're finally going to graduate...
: But on the other hand, I'm worried about whether you guys will be okay in the outside world.
: That's why I'm thinking about telling you what the outside world is like before you make a decision. Whether you wanna leave Jabberwock Island...or stay here...
: ...Huh?

: We're obviously gonna get out! There's no way we'd stay here!
: This is annoying! Just hurry up and let us choose! Let us choose right now!
: You can't do that. The main cast hasn't arrived yet.
: ...Main cast?
: Meaning...you guys are just extras until the guest of honor arrives.

: So enough complaining already! Hurry up and start researching the outside world!
: Wh-What do you mean...!?
: I have dispersed all the teaching materials you need for your research throughout Hope's Peak Academy. Well, I don't think this needs to be said, but...
: All the information is accurate and contains no lies whatsoever. Otherwise the main cast is gonna hate me.

: Soooo please rest assured and strive to do your best during your field trip! *leaves*

And as usual...after leaving us with his cryptic words, Monokuma disappeared. Even if the setting had changed, even if the killing was finished, he was still the same as usual.

: Wh-What is going on? Outside world...? Main cast...? Somehow...I have a bad feeling about this.
: Like, he kept insisting that this place is Hope's Peak Academy...
: B-But that's impossible, right?

: How'd we make it back to Hope's Peak Academy from a tropical island in the first place...? It's impossible...
: There is no place for Hope's Peak Academy to exist on Jabberwock Island.
: I said I wanted to go back, but I don't wanna go back to a creepy place like this!
: ...

...What does this mean? So many things I don't understand have happened on the island... This building...is really Hope's Peak Academy?

This...is the Hope's Peak Academy I've been admiring for so long?

...What in the world is going on?

Dammit...why is this happening...? Why...?

I was finally able to attend Hope's Peak Academy... I finally thought I'd become confident in myself...

Even so, I...

: "...wanted to become hope!"? If that's what you're thinking, just stop it. Listen carefully... The only humans worthy of becoming hope possess amazing talents and a strong will. And...the moment you're born into this world, you either have that or you don't.

: It has nothing to do with effort! You must be chosen by hope to become hope!

: That's why...it's not even worth admiring... Or...were you so blinded by your admiration for Hope's Peak Academy that you couldn't even see that?
: ...Gh!

: You're just some nobody from the Reserve Course who never had a talent to begin with. A nobody who forgot he was a nobody... That's all.

If I really am a nobody...then...you should've just left me alone... Why...why do I have to go through something like this?

: Hajime...? Did something happen?

: Now's not the time to zone out.
: Sorry...it's nothing...
: I don't really get it, but...is that all...?
: As long as I don't beat the crap outta Monokuma, nothin's gonna be solved...is that what it means!?
: Just what the heck is Monokuma anyway? He's not part of the Future Foundation, right?

: If you say that...then what is the Future Foundation?
: Even though Chiaki and Monomi are gone, our situation hasn't changed one bit. Which means...the Future Foundation *wasn't* our enemy... That's the only thing I can think of.
: S-So they're not World Ender...!? Then...we really were tricked by Monokuma!?
: However...the Future Foundation is responsible for trapping us on this island, right? Regarding that matter...I believe Monomi never once denied that.

: Even if they're our allies...they might not just be allies...!
: Maybe Monokuma is telling us to investigate that information on our own.

Chiaki said...she could not betray the Future Foundation... But if she were still alive, she definitely would've helped us... No...even her just being with us would've been a big help.

: So what should we do?
: Well, that's obvious... If we're gonna get out of here safely, we have to do that graduation exam, right?
: Graduation exam, huh... I'm not really good at takin' exams...
: Well, I guess it's better than people dyin'!

: Monokuma said something about a field trip, right? Is he telling us to investigate like we have been...?
: All right! I'm gonna do it!
: PREPARE YOURSELF!

: Yeah, we might be able to learn about something. About Hope's Peak Academy...about ourselves...
: I don't care if we don't know anymore... If we can just go back to our normal lives, I'm fine...
: Hey, we can go home when this is over, right!? We can finally get off this drat island, right!?
: If that's the case, let's all leave this island alive by any means...!
: Hell yes!

He's...right... Now's not the time to bemoan how unlucky I am...

Where this place really is... What's happened to Hope's Peak Academy... None of that matters. What's important is...

I need to leave this island with the others. We sacrificed so many lives in order to survive just so we could do that... There's no way we can stop now.

But...

Monokuma should already know that that's what we're thinking... So...why did he say that?

Music fades out.

We have to decide on our own whether or not we want to leave Jabberwock Island... He should already know that we'd never choose to stay on this island...

: ...So what're we gonna do? Can we start already?
: But what are we even looking for? Do we just have to investigate this weird-rear end building?
: Even so...I don't think we'll find the answers to all out questions inside this drat building...
: ...Well, I'll just go on ahead for now! *leaves*

: H-Hey! You're already going!?
: What is that idiot thinking running ahead without being cautious...!?
: She obviously isn't thinking about anything.

: It will be fine... There will no longer be any situations where we must exchange each others' lives...
: So we should do our best as well! Like they say, "It is not scary if everyone stops at a green light"!

If we stopped at the green light...we'd never reach our goal.

: Akane already took off on her own... It might be faster if we split up and look around, too.
: Like Sonia said...if there's no more killing, we don't have to worry about anyone betraying us anymore.
: Then...let's get this over with and go home...
: I'll go on ahead. I'll see you guys later... *leaves*

With those brief words, Fuyuhiko left the gymnasium.

: I shall do my best to obtain a wonderful clue that will be useful to everyone. Now then, please excuse me. *leaves*

Sonia took a deep bow, then left the gymnasium.

: M-Miss Sonia...
: Miss Soniaaa! Please don't leave me! I'll be in danger if I'm left alone! *leaves*

Kazuichi chased after Sonia, who had just departed, and left the gymnasium.

: I...should hurry and start too...

Just a bit more... Just a bit more...and it's going to end... I can escape this nightmare and return to my usual, peaceful, everyday life.

The only thing we can do is advance toward that hope... Even though I don't understand...and that a lot of horrifying things keep happening...

Music cuts out.

: For the sake of everyone who couldn't make it this far, I'm definitely going to go home!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I think Jabberwock Island broke a bit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Falconer posted:

We also finally get to find out how the farm got changed!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The main cast, eh? Are we talking DR1 alumni or some other people entirely?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The main cast, eh? Are we talking DR1 alumni or some other people entirely?

It's the top posters in this thread.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to throw something if it turns out Junko was triplets.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zoe posted:

Another sister is added for every game!

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zoe posted:

Nope. Gotta be clones. Look out for Junko-cide!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm Junko.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'll turn out Hajime is actually Spartacus. As is Kuzuryuu. And Souda. And Sonia.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Before anything else, let's look to the left and discover the 2nd Hidden Monokuma for this chapter hiding out in the stands.

: There's nothing else here, so let's go back to the hall and look around the 1st floor.

: Ooooor not?

Th-That's weird... This is the hallway I walked through to get to the gymnasium, but...

: It's clearly different.

Is this...Monokuma's doing, too...? Is he trying to confuse us again?

: I-I don't know how he's going it...he he keeps doing it over and over again... He's so persistent...

But I'm not gonna fall for his trap! There's no way this will make me back down!

: Somehow, we ended up on the 5th floor of the school and places are locked off to us. At least Sonia's around.

: This hallway... There is a strange feeling to it, no? As if...an invisible wall has been erected to limit our movement...
: ...Is it just me?

: Nah, I'm feeling pretty strange too, believe me.

: The 5th floor isn't huge but it has a couple important rooms to check out. I really like the look and layout of the halls here. It's a very pleasant blue with the sparse foliage on the sides.

: By the way, our Pet died. I told you I'd forget at least once during this LP!

: Though if you're watching the videos, the Pet survives to maturation with only 1 skull left unfilled. Considering I walked what was essentially the same path for both recordings and had one Pet die and one Pet survive, there must be a slight amount of randomness in whether or not the Despair Meter ticks upwards with each step.

: The garden is sadly inaccessible. Would've been nice to see blue skies again.
: Wait we've been seeing blue skies this whole game what am I talking about? Hahaha...

: The one place that *is* open however is the Dojo.

Is this...a dojo? It's full of strange things that make me think there's no way we're inside a school... Perhaps it's a mistake to expect the inside of this building to make sense.

: This place is as beautiful as ever. Well, let's have a look around at the less conspicuous things before we turn our attention to the floor.

There are a bunch of wooden lockers here. Each of them has a traditional-looking woodblock key sticking out of them. I guess they're just for show.

There's...nothing in particular that looks like a clue.

There's a straw post, I guess that means it was used for training.

: There are a couple of flavor text descriptions in here like the Japanese suit of armor and sword training straw post. The trees actually elicit a response from ▓▒░▓░ though.

The cherry tree is proudly displaying its full blossoms. The falling petals add to the elegance of the scene.

: If Hiyoko and Peko were here, it would've looked truly picturesque.

For their sakes as well...I will definitely go home!

That target seems pretty far away. If the production team had had more time, there could've been a mini-game here.

...Wait, what am I saying?

: It's armor and a helmet...

Did the map developers design this to reflect a Japanese dojo?

: Alright, this thing's been sticking out far too long. Let's check it out.

Hm? What is this...? Is this a manga...? The title is...

"Manga for Morons! A History of Hope's Peak Academy by Monokuma"...?

: Why is a manga with such a suspicious-looking title laying out in the open like this...?

: Puhuhu! Let's start with history first, class!
: Reading manga is the third best way to learn about history! Then what's the first, you ask?
: That depends on the person! *leaves*

So just as I thought, Monokuma made this... That totally explains how suspicious it looks. I really want to just ignore it...but there's no way I can do that.

: Fine...I'll look at it...

I'll look at anything that might be a clue to getting out of here, no matter what it is...!

I picked up the manga off the floor and started flipping through the pages. It's an introduction to Hope's Peak Academy's history, as narrated by the cutesy character on the cover.

The story begins with an introduction to Hope's Peak Academy...

-----

Hope's Peak Academy is a government-funded school of privilege where only the most talented high school students can hope to attend. Built to raise hope in the nation's future, many of its alumni are key leaders of various industries. New students are chosen through a scouting process, but the ones who scout them are Hope's Peak Academy's teachers, who serve as both educators and researchers of talent.

Hope's Peak Academy isn't just a school for talent. It is also a school for researching talent as well. However, for the past few years, Hope's Peak Academy has been suffering from a decline in funding. If this persists, the academy believes they will not be able to make progress with their research of talent. So they decided to implement a new system: The Reserve Department.

Unlike the Main Department who scouts for students, the Reserve Department utilizes a general entrance exam. "Normal" faculty was fired and placed in charge of looking after the Reserve Department. The expenses and exam fees for the Reserve Department are quite high compared to most high schools. Nevertheless, Hope's Peak Academy received an endless stream of applicants. Hope's Peak Academy was now available to talentless commoners, people who only cared about the brand.

With this, Hope's Peak Academy managed to amass sizable funds, and began further research of talent to create Hope's Peak Academy's earnest wish: a true genius who would become mankind's hope.

But just when they thought everything was going well, an unprecedented incident occurred. The incident that triggered The Tragedy, the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history. That's right, it was The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy. Hope's Peak Academy was crippled by this incident, and was forced to shut down without accomplishing anything.

...The End.

The ending was so sudden, like a manga that's suddenly cancelled in the middle of its run... Plus, these phrases mentioned at the end of this manga... "The Tragedy" and "The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy"...

: These names are so melodramatic. There's no way these incidents really happened, right?

This manga only mentions the names, so I don't really know the details but... No...it'd just be a waste of time to wonder about things that don't make sense. More important...I learned something because of this manga...

: ...The Reserve Department.

That department...was only built to collect money...

: I...was one of those Reserve Course students...right?

: Hmm...that's weird...
: ...Oh, you're here again.
: Ah, the thing that's weird...is you, of course.
: Why did you forget that you were part of the Reserve Department? The Future Foundation only took away your school life memories, right? But you should've known even before you entered that you had no talent, right? So...I think it's weird that you actually forgot something like that, too.
: Wh-What do you want me to say...!?

: Hm, based on my assumption... The Future Foundation must've wanted to hide the fact that you were one of those Reserve Course students...
: Ooooor you willingly sealed those memories yourself...
: You wanted to be confident in yourself, so you wanted to forget everything that embarrassed you. You know, when humans experience trauma, sometimes they erase their memory of what happened...

: It happens pretty often! Not that I'd know anything about that, though!
: Are you saying it's my fault I forgot!? That's not it!
: When things get inconvenient, you always get angry and try to brush it off... Well, that's expected of a Reserve Court student. *leaves*

: ...drat it! What the heck!?

: Nothing else to look at here, so let's head out again.

: Kazuichi's out in the hallway now.

: This hallway...it's kinda creepy... I can't go to places that I should be able to go to... It's like some rule is being enforced for no reason...
: Hahaha...it's like there's an invisible wall or something...

: We'll start by checking out Classroom 5-A.

: The only thing of interest in here is this book on the desk.

This is...another manga. It's laying on top of the desk...

: Um...this one is...

"Manga for Morons! The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy", huh...

: Wasn't The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy mentioned in that other manga, too?

It's why Hope's Peak Academy went bankrupt, and...it was the trigger for the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history...

: If I read this manga...will I be able to learn a little more about that incident?

I took the manga from the desk and started flipping through the pages to see what I could learn about the event known as The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy... The story made heavy use of outdated, stylized drawings depicting characters solving mysteries. What's written here is...

-----

As the name suggests, The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy occurred at Hope's Peak Academy. The key player in that event was a student named Izuru Kamukura.

Izuru was a genius known as a symbol of hope. Hope's Peak Academy used all their resources to develop him. Supposedly, Izuru was a genius among geniuses, and possessed various talents. Wielding superior talent for the hope of mankind, the academy referred to Izuru as The Ultimate Hope.

To protect such rare talent, the academy completely concealed all evidence of Izuru's origins and identity. Because of that, most of the students at the academy were completely unaware of Izuru's existence.

But Izuru, who was known as the symbol of hope, was responsible for a horrible incident. Thirteen students of Hope's Peak Academy's Student Council, among the academy's best and brightest...were brutally murdered by Izuru! However, the incident did not end there. The academy tried to protect Izuru's superior talent and concealed the incident as though it never happened.

However, a certain student began working in secret to use that incident to their advantage. That student uncovered what the academy did, and by making that knowledge public, it stoked the fires of the Reserve Course students, who had long been dissatisfied with how they'd been treated, and the uprising began. And that...heralded Hope's Peak Academy's destruction.

This is the entirety of The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy. Eventually, that incident would lead to that horrifying, devastating incident. The incident that would be known as the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history.

Works Cited: "Danganronpa/Zero"

With a heavy sigh, I closed the manga.

: A-Am I supposed to believe this? There's no way thirteen people were killed at Hope's Peak Academy...

: What irony! For a genius known as the Ultimate Hope to cause such a gruesome incident... A talent like that is too regal for society... It's like trying to buy juice with a bar of gold!
: Oh-hohohoho! You should be lucky that you're incompetent! *leaves*

Dammit...he always has to lead up to something offensive... He seriously pisses me off.

: But...Ultimate Hope...

Nagito mentioned that before, too... But it looks like it means something completely different here.

: What Nagito said was the true meaning of hope... But for Izuru, hope simply means talent...
: More importantly...a genius who possesses various talents...

I wish they'd given me one of those talents so I didn't have to be in the Reserve Department...

: ...That's right, the Reserve Department!
: Here...it said that the Reserve Course students in the Reserve Department began uprising...

...Then what about me? Was I...a participant too?

: No...that's not possible... There's no way...I have no reason to do something like that.

anyway, I've learned about the Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy but... The biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history is a far worse incident, right? What kind of incident was it? And who's this other student that isn't Izuru...? A certain student who secretly used the incident to their advantage...who is that...?

: This incident is really messed up, but all it's doing is raising more questions. The mysteries just keep piling up.

: Next time, we'll keep exploring the old school.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Good timing on letting your pet die. :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I admit Im only more confused now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
We never did get around to mentioning the content of Dangan Ronpa Zero in one of these threads, did we?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just Monokuma.

I was scrolling back through the thread for something and saw this post and it reminded me I'd literally made this joke with a friend the other day and well, this had been the result of that joke:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We never did get around to mentioning the content of Dangan Ronpa Zero in one of these threads, did we?

While the original LP did, I didn't because I've actually never read it myself. I know the general premise of what happened but I never really felt like I missed out on anything other than backstory context by not reading it. In any case, it's not particularly important for this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's Plays are good. This thread is good.

FPzero posted:

While the original LP did, I didn't because I've actually never read it myself. I know the general premise of what happened but I never really felt like I missed out on anything other than backstory context by not reading it. In any case, it's not particularly important for this game.

Fair enough!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In Orenronen's partially finished LP of DR2, he occassionally posted a chapter of DR Zero between updates. But he never got to posting the full thing.

But to quote this LP's OP:

quote:

-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from this game with spoiler bars only.
-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from the first game without spoiler bars.
-You are not allowed talk about spoilers for the rest of the series. This includes the novels, the sequel Ultra Despair Girls, the Danganronpa 3 anime, and everything related to New Danganronpa v3 especially once it releases.
So we cannot go into detail about DR Zero as per the thread rules. I'll just wait what FPZero (and this game) have to say about it, then.

Edit: Well, looks like I'm about 3 posts late.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
A

V
i
o
l
i
n

Also I just noticed we're not Level 69 anymore :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is the worst, most horrible, most very bad no good incident less ridiculously phrased in Japanese?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zoe posted:

Is the worst, most horrible, most very bad no good incident less ridiculously phrased in Japanese?

Much more so, it's intentionally absurd and the translation toned it down a ton by usually just referring to it as "The Tragedy" (same thing with "Ultimate" titles).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zoe posted:

If something in DR sounds silly in English it was probably at least four times as absurdly phrased in Japanese.

The writers very much intentionally played up how overdramatic it was, though I can't remember Orenonen's explanation for the reasoning behind it back from his first DR LP thread.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I guess it also helps how you can fit an entire Japanese sentence into a few characters using kanji, but in English that same sentence will be much longer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In the cancelled patch, as a point of pride, I never, ever abbreviated "The worst, most despair-inducing incident in the history of mankind".

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The phrase in Japanese is 人類史上最大最悪の絶望的事件 (jinrui shijousaidai saiaku no zetsubouteki jiken), which literally is something like "The Most Significant, Worst, Hopeless Incident in Human History". So... at least as ridiculous if not more so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cuntellectual posted:

If something in DR sounds silly in English it was probably at least four times as absurdly phrased in Japanese.

The writers very much intentionally played up how overdramatic it was, though I can't remember Orenonen's explanation for the reasoning behind it back from his first DR LP thread.

If I had to guess it's because the entire thing is commentary on society, so it uses absurd overdramatic language to get people to actually pay attention to the message, whilst highlighting the absurdity of that message.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
There's also the point that Junko was absolutely the kind of person who would name things as ridiculously as possible just because it would irritate people if you need a Watsonian reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Junko was that kid who goes through that edgy 14-year-old phase. Only instead of writing fanfic about her edgy OC, she used hers to destroy the world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So all of this never would have happened if they hadn't introduced ordinary people with their ordinary thoughts, like "my life means something" and "don't kill me".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Glazius posted:

So all of this never would have happened if they hadn't introduced ordinary people with their ordinary thoughts, like "my life means something" and "don't kill me".

Look its not their fault. It's a school for ultimate, of course they'd make the ultimate mistake

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

Look they gotta pay for that poo poo somehow. And it's not like it was anyone important.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stroth posted:

There's also the point that Junko was absolutely the kind of person who would name things as ridiculously as possible just because it would irritate people if you need a Watsonian reason.

It's Junkos, Junkos all the way down baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cuntellectual posted:

It's Junkos, Junkos all the way down baby!

Junkception, we have to go Junkoer

• Locked thread