Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

we were headed to intersect mars' orbit, but now it looks like we'll nearly be in the asteroid belt, whatever, lol - a very competent and reliable rocket launching company

spacex is spinning it as "the rocket was just too good!!!" and the media is loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nah they’re spinning it as “we wanted to burn every drop of fuel in the final stage, we had more than we expected because reasons”

the mission was to lose the car in deep space so it’s never seen again and by that metric it’s a success

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
first mission to mars lands on ceres, all hands lost due to asphyxiation, tesla reports "great success, exceeded expectations"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

to his credit, unlike steve ballmer, elon by musky for elon musk for elon musk the muskman looks like he was smart enough to take some of his money and hire an image consultant

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

seriously his mother was a model how did that happen

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

nah they’re spinning it as “we wanted to burn every drop of fuel in the final stage, we had more than we expected because reasons”

the mission was to lose the car in deep space so it’s never seen again and by that metric it’s a success

you just wait until the remake star trek the motion picture

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

burning to exhaustion is generally a Very Bad Thing to have happen and means someone hosed up but i guess in this case they dgaf about the payload anyway so :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we overshot the intended orbit by several million miles, this is actually a good thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

his model mother's father was bald

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

computers: not even once

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

to his credit, unlike steve ballmer, elon by musky for elon musk for elon musk the muskman looks like he was smart enough to take some of his money and hire an image consultant

doesn't seem to have helped

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

burning to exhaustion is generally a Very Bad Thing to have happen and means someone hosed up but i guess in this case they dgaf about the payload anyway so :shrug:
burning to exhaustion is a very good thing in a thing that's going to be floating through space and that can't be recovered, because while there is fuel there's a potential for additional debris through explosion or mishap, it was deliberate

the failed landing of the core was not however

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yeah, that's my fave part

they were like "let's put these chines because it'll reduce the radar back scatter" and it was a pleasant surprise when it improved lift and aerodynamic performance

99.9% certain it was the other way round, the chines were to help minimise mach tuck and it was only discovered many years later that they gave it a considerably lower radar cross section

especially as:

nobody had even begun to think about rcs until the 70s, let alone knew how to manage it

they knew from observations of the starfighter (but didn't understand why until the 70s) that afterburner plumes give absolutely massive returns on radar

the only angle it reduces rcs from is straight-on and pretty much by definition a hostile never gets to see one straight-on

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i think it was the corrugated skin that was later discovered to be very good at trapping and scattering radar beams

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

i think it was the corrugated skin that was later discovered to be very good at trapping and scattering radar beams

it became not-corrugated at speed so i'm not sure about that, but the chines were so good at reducing rcs you end up with this derpy looking piece of poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

doesn't seem to have helped

those hairplugs look nice tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

those hairplugs look nice tho

that particular photo looks like a weave or a toupee

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, i was gonna guess the latter.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
although with money like ol’ musky has he probably owns a place where he farms the scalps of poor people with good genes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
google image search picks up other photos of musky where it does look more real so maybe it is a hair transplant after all idk

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

somebody aim a rocket at him and see if it blows away

lol nevermind it was out of fuel

his toupe and the model 3 have the same gap tolerance

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i see your best sr-71 story and raise you the other best sr-71 story

e: gonna quote the meat of it because everyone needs to read it

those are both extremely excellent stories

Sagebrush posted:

yeh. the engines were ramjets, which use the aircraft's forward motion to compress the intake charge, so the upper limit on its speed is "the intake cones/wing leading edges/cockpit windows just melted" rather than anything to do with the plane running out of power

the main limiting factor is the compression intake temperature if i remember right; assumptions about what that temperature will be as a function of altitude and speed are what determined the top speed limits listed in the operating manual. really the limit was set by what that temperature gauge was showing. anything else could probably take a little melting but engine failure at mach 3.4 would likely be fatal.

i don't doubt the rated top speed was broken, maybe even the temperature limit was violated in the process, they probably just had to do an engine teardown and rebuild afterwards to check for/repair any damage afterwards. not something you'd want to do for no good reason, but preferable to losing the vehicle and crew from enemy fire.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
as for spacex, i've got no particular love for musk, but at least they're doing something marginally useful compared to loving Virgin Galactic.

has spacex even killed anyone yet?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
not yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

almost certainly, just not in or on the way to space, as yet

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goddamnedtwisto posted:

99.9% certain it was the other way round, the chines were to help minimise mach tuck and it was only discovered many years later that they gave it a considerably lower radar cross section

especially as:

nobody had even begun to think about rcs until the 70s, let alone knew how to manage it

they knew from observations of the starfighter (but didn't understand why until the 70s) that afterburner plumes give absolutely massive returns on radar

the only angle it reduces rcs from is straight-on and pretty much by definition a hostile never gets to see one straight-on

the sr-71 was explicitly designed to reduce radar cross-section, why would they have not thought about it???

like that was the whole point of the project, build plane that go fast and hard to detect because they identified that the problem with the u2 was not enough fast and not enough hard to detect

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just that one virgin galactic test pilot.

:tinfoil:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

as for spacex, i've got no particular love for musk, but at least they're doing something marginally useful compared to loving Virgin Galactic.

Why don't you just put the rocket on a plane and launch it from the sky? Then you're already way close to space. I don't know why people say these NASA guys are so smart if they haven't thought of this yet. :downs:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fishmech posted:

the sr-71 was explicitly designed to reduce radar cross-section, why would they have not thought about it???

like that was the whole point of the project, build plane that go fast and hard to detect because they identified that the problem with the u2 was not enough fast and not enough hard to detect

stick to being pedantic about train based travel

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

just that one virgin galactic test pilot.

:tinfoil:
youd think a guy working as a galactic test pilot would be able to get laid but i guess not

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

youd think a guy working as a galactic test pilot would be able to get laid but i guess not

Incel Galactic really doesn’t have that same ring, come to think of it...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I want so much for a Law and Order episode s out the hooker he very obviously stuffed in the trunk of his car before launch.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Trevor Hale posted:

I want so much for a Law and Order episode s out the hooker he very obviously stuffed in the trunk of his car before launch.

but then...whose corpse was in the suit?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

but then...whose corpse was in the suit?

some failed elon musk clone, a la multiplicity.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/961263449216028672

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the $70k suv i was in today had the proximity alarms going off intermittently because apparently moderate snow is enough to convince it that you're about to plow into a wall

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

they spent a lot of time thinking about it, but they did not have the benefit of modern computer modeling in design

some things were learned the hard way

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

infernal machines posted:

the $70k suv i was in today had the proximity alarms going off intermittently because apparently moderate snow is enough to convince it that you're about to plow into a wall

it's made by californians and reacts like californians. OH MY GOD, WE'RE SURROUNDED BY SNOW EVERYBODY FREAK OUT

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they spent a lot of time thinking about it, but they did not have the benefit of modern computer modeling in design

some things were learned the hard way

what im talking about is he said "nobody had even begun to think about rcs until the 70s, let alone knew how to manage it"

the convair kingfish was rejected in 1959 in favor of the lockheed project that would become the a-12 and eventually the sr-71. and CIA Project Rainbow had started pretty much as soon as u2 flights started in the mid-50s and they realized the soviet radars could track it, they attempted to reduce the u2 radar cross section and found they couldn't do it with that, thus leading to seeking other planes to be built that would be designed to lower radar cross section (and increase speed) starting around 1957.

no matter whether they knew why or how a given thing was reducing the rcs, they took every instance of reduced rcs from a change to heart and tried to replicate it in further revisions of the planes. when the 70s started there was already over 14 years of specifically knowing about and thinking about reducing radar cross section for spy planes in particular, and all military planes in general where possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

burning to exhaustion is a very good thing in a thing that's going to be floating through space and that can't be recovered, because while there is fuel there's a potential for additional debris through explosion or mishap, it was deliberate

the failed landing of the core was not however

yes but you generally vent the fuel rather than burning to exhaustion, engines tend to be really unpredictable when you can't control the mix and can do all sorts of fun things ranging from "wildly fluctuating thrust" to "oscillations leading to exploding"

e: like i said though you might be right, it's possible they did it intentionally this time just because there's no actual payload, but generally if that happens during an actual mission you get internal hearings and investigations and launch delays while people figure out what went wrong

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 8, 2018