Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Rirse posted:

Why you guys make a big deal about that post. I mean it a lot better then just sticking a bunch of roms in the SNES Classic I mean, but I just don't see the appeal outside of someone getting into retro gaming and wanting to skip the modding and RGB cables.

Sorry dude, not trying to call you out specifically. It's a valid opinion for a lot of people, but this device is definitely a product for a specific type of people who expect a level of accuracy.
The SNES mini is fine for people that want Plug and Play, a RetroPi is perfect for someone who wants a cost-effective way to play roms on the TV, etc.
I have a SNES with an RGB-Trinitron set up and I love it, but I'm still tempted by this Super NT just out of principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

Why you guys make a big deal about that post. I mean it a lot better then just sticking a bunch of roms in the SNES Classic I mean, but I just don't see the appeal outside of someone getting into retro gaming and wanting to skip the modding and RGB cables.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Not a Children posted:

Can someone explain to me how Nintendo hasn't cease-and-desisted the NT products into oblivion? Obviously they're not making money off of that hardware anymore, but shouldn't they hold patents on the connectors/processes that they'd want/need to defend?
Patents here are actually a good example of how reasonable IP should work.

Nintendo had an exclusivity period of the design and (parts of) the implementation of the SNES for ~20ish years. The hardware is no longer being manufactured and technologically obsolete, but it's a system that people still like so now "the public" is making bug-compatible hardware reimplementations to cater to a niche market. There's nothing Nintendo can, or should, do to stop it.

Some SNES games would soon too be entering the public domain if it weren't for the insane extensions on Copyright.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
FYI Byuu is melting about the analogue Super NT if anyone is interested.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Must be frustrating for someone like that who has devoted so much of their time to accurate software emulation.
e: I think it needs to be stressed that FPGAs aren't magic and Kevtris is just a genius. Software emulation has the potential to be extremely accurate as well in the right hands.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 8, 2018

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Then how did the Dendy exist?
Dendy came about because there was a demand for video game consoles in Russia that Nintendo and other players were unwilling to supply. Legitimate or not, Dendy established a market and did a good enough job that Nintendo licensed with the company that sold it to legitimately sell the SNES.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

All I'm seeing on Twitter is they're kinda mad that the Super NT is being marketed as "None of that emulation bullshit in here!" I can see why that might get your blood up if you'd dedicated years to a cycle accurate SNES emulator for no commercial gain.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

he's kind of right about the way the thing is being marketed and reviewed, and this is coming from someone who has had serious problems with things byuu has said and done in the past. he Knows His poo poo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

To be fair, he's melting over Polygon's characterization that software emulation is inherently inaccurate and FPGAs are inherently more accurate.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Well they don't want the NT being mixed in with the likes of the retron 5 and other garbage. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there's some other way to play snes games on a pc that doesn't require an emulator. They're two different things. Emulators are great, but not so much for someone who wants real snes carts on a TV.

Also I don't know if it's just me but every feed I've seen of the Analog Nt snes has shown a picture quality that looks absolutely incredible. I just ordered one and I'll be happy to give a spergy review here.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The 50$ international shipping pushes this just out of the range of an impulse purchase for me. If Kevtris announces the jailbreak soon for rom support, and something like a Genesis/Megadrive core and the other older 8 bit cores, it would be pretty hard to resist. Coming from someone who already owns an SD2SNES.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hashtag lifegoals

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Some SNES games would soon too be entering the public domain if it weren't for the insane extensions on Copyright.

What are you even talking about? Even in the late 19th century, copyright lasted for 50 years from the author's death, or 50 years from creation for works produced by companies such as, say, a newspaper or anthology book. Under such rules, even Computer Space wouldn't be public domain until 2021 if it had been properly copyrighted at time of creation, and the first Channel F and Atari 2600 cartridge games wouldn't come up til 2026 and 2027 at the earliest. And you wouldn't see any SNES games in the public domain until 2040 at the earliest.

Today, the copyright terms are 70 years from death or 95 years from publication for corporate works (120 years from creation instead, if it was something first published more than 25 years after it was created, which would be an odd situation)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

here's a cool interview with the guy who runs capcom about the company's history. some amazing (but sadly short) footage of what looks like mid 80's Japanese arcades if you want to see table style cabs in their heyday

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/directtalk/2058284/

e:

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 8, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hmm, that's funny/sad, since I was thinking yesterday that Byuu beating the drum about accuracy for so long maybe helped (in some weird quirk of the universe way) to make something like the Super NT be realized. Heck, I've long thought that he should look into getting his work in hardware form.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Must be frustrating for someone like that who has devoted so much of their time to accurate software emulation.
e: I think it needs to be stressed that FPGAs aren't magic and Kevtris is just a genius. Software emulation has the potential to be extremely accurate as well in the right hands.

It's not like the Super NT takes away from the work he's done on higan or renders it invalid and useless, though. The "why" behind his attitude is kind of irrelevant to me; I think he's just feeling overlooked and like some of the community adoration that was supposed to be due him has been stolen by a bunch of slick marketing folks.

But it's not as if byuu's emulator or the Super NT are in direct competition with each other. If anything, there's a harmony to both, and I think it's pretty safe to say that the Super NT could be a good starting point for all of that preservation stuff that byuu claims to be about, anyway.

Well they don't want the NT being mixed in with the likes of the retron 5 and other garbage. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there's some other way to play snes games on a pc that doesn't require an emulator. They're two different things. Emulators are great, but not so much for someone who wants real snes carts on a TV.

Also I don't know if it's just me but every feed I've seen of the Analog Nt snes has shown a picture quality that looks absolutely incredible. I just ordered one and I'll be happy to give a spergy review here.

Yeah, this is a good point. How many burns has the community had, first with SOAC stuff, then with the Retron being a glorified emulator box? In the short term, it might seem gauche for Analogue to be distancing itself from emulation in this manner, but in the long run, will it really matter?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

falz posted:

Has kevtris made a Genesis core? If so perhaps they could just make a physical pinout cart adapter if the fpga in that thing suffices. Hard to say with all of the blast no processing required.

He's said no in interviews, but you have to assume Analogue is working on Genesis and maybe even PCE.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fishmech posted:

What are you even talking about?
Patent and Copyright laws originally had comparable lengths of protection (14 years in the US, with Copyrights eligible for a 14 year extension). Over time the length of Copyright protection has increased dramatically while patents have stayed relatively the same.

There's some utility in comparing the two forms of IP and how they've respectively have (or haven't) promoted public benefit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Hmm, that's funny/sad, since I was thinking yesterday that Byuu beating the drum about accuracy for so long maybe helped (in some weird quirk of the universe way) to make something like the Super NT be realized. Heck, I've long thought that he should look into getting his work in hardware form.

The Actual Article That You Didn't Read posted:

Furthermore, I consider its lead developer, Kevin Horton, a friend. We work together and share information. I'm in the credits on the Super Nt device for a reason: emulation is built on the shoulders of giants. The Super Nt is possible in part by higan, which was possible in part by Snes9X, etc. And indeed, the relationship is mutually beneficial: findings from Kevin have already made their way into higan.

An emulator is not measured by any one bug or lack thereof: it's the total sum of years of testing, validation, and tens of thousands of unique behaviors all operating together correctly in harmony. These things take time.

I don't want to write an article critical of the Super Nt itself, nor of its lead engineer. But I am very distressed at how Chris' words in this story paint all software emulators as inferior to his product, ostensibly for marketing reasons. Even if that isn't his intention, that's how this article reads.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

then with the Retron being a glorified emulator box?

if you read byuu's blog posts about the situation, it's really phrasing like this that he has a problem with, on the part of analogue, polygon, other reviewers, and general people in the hobby. I'm guilty of it myself. It's the whole concept that software emulation is automatically "lesser than". his point is that the problem with the retron is not that it's emulation, it's that it's bad emulation, and there's a distinction there.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hashtag lifegoals

I looked at your Dreamcast, and it's not powered on. What is happening?!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I looked at your Dreamcast, and it's not powered on. What is happening?!

looks like it's running on the Gamecube :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

Licensed by NINTENDO

I stole the picture from reddit. Apparently they make those TVs new nowadays, about $2500/each.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Since it's been mentioned a few times, I thought I'd ask: is there any reason I shouldn't buy a Dendy? I've wanted one for ages and I could afford one at the moment, unless it's going to burn my house down or something

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

looks like it's running on the Gamecube :v:

Right but he said hashtag life goals so tell me who’s confused

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

What I am saying:

It is because of PSO that I bought a Dreamcast Keyboard, which was the penetrating factor for Typing Of The Dead down the line.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Patent and Copyright laws originally had comparable lengths of protection (14 years in the US, with Copyrights eligible for a 14 year extension). Over time the length of Copyright protection has increased dramatically while patents have stayed relatively the same.

There's some utility in comparing the two forms of IP and how they've respectively have (or haven't) promoted public benefit.

That was very very long ago, the 14 and 14 was the law in loving 1790, and which was essentially re-affirming existing copyright law of 1710 from Britain. It also explicitly did not protect anything by foreigners, and only protected books and maps. This would never have applied to video games.

By 1831, the copyright term was already 28+14 (so 42 years, and you still couldn't get Channel F or Atari 2600 games). 1909 makes it 28+28 (broadly bringing things in line with the European-accepted Berne Convention's terms). 1976 brings it up to the by then most developed country accepted Berne Convention and a bit more with 50 from death/75 from creation for corporate works.

There was effectively no national copyright before 1790 either, so why not make your argument on the basis of "copyright didn't exist" then?

Code Jockey posted:

Since it's been mentioned a few times, I thought I'd ask: is there any reason I shouldn't buy a Dendy? I've wanted one for ages and I could afford one at the moment, unless it's going to burn my house down or something

The original Dendy console was SECAM only, so if you don't have a SECAM supporting TV it won't give you color. There were further PAL models which are much easier to get a TV that works for it, but that'll still be an issue in the US etc.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 8, 2018

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

d0s posted:

if you read byuu's blog posts about the situation, it's really phrasing like this that he has a problem with, on the part of analogue, polygon, other reviewers, and general people in the hobby. I'm guilty of it myself. It's the whole concept that software emulation is automatically "lesser than". his point is that the problem with the retron is not that it's emulation, it's that it's bad emulation, and there's a distinction there.

Yeah, byuu even mentions that kevtris is a friend and he thanks byuu on the NT’s acknowledgments page. And kevtris himself says something to the effect of “there’s good emulation and bad emulation” in the recent RetroRGB interview.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

It still strikes me as byuu making an unnecessary mountain out of a molehill.

d0s posted:

Sure, I get that. But it kind of strikes me as him trying to find some way to make something only tangentially related to what he's doing about him, somehow. Putting on a weird victim pose (though I think byuu kind of gets that, if their latest site update is any indication) over someone that is really fairly inconsequential.

fishmech posted:

The original Dendy console was SECAM only, so if you don't have a SECAM supporting TV it won't give you color. There were further PAL models which are much easier to get a TV that works for it, but that'll still be an issue in the US etc.

Can't forget that Russia uses 220V power, too, so Code Jockey would need to use a voltage transformer if they wanted to have any chance of successfully using it in the US.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It still strikes me as byuu making an unnecessary mountain out of a molehill.

I mean, a bit, but I can see where he's coming from really.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Can't forget that Russia uses 220V power, too, so Code Jockey would need to use a voltage transformer if they wanted to have any chance of successfully using it in the US.

It takes a 9 volt DC supply to the actual console, and it's not like you'd be able to stick the Russian power connector into your wall, so I didn't think it worth mentioning. :shobon:

If I remember right it's the same very standard barrel plug size as you'd use for a Model 1 Genesis.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

It takes a 9 volt DC supply to the actual console, and it's not like you'd be able to stick the Russian power connector into your wall, so I didn't think it worth mentioning. :shobon:

If I remember right it's the same very standard barrel plug size as you'd use for a Model 1 Genesis.

Could be, but I figured it was just one more nail of consideration to be hammered into the coffin of Code Jockey's Dendy dreams.

EDIT: That all said, I know that some of Panasonic's monitors support SECAM (manufacturer PDF), for those who are fiscally masochistic enough to want to try it.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 8, 2018

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Who cares about new consoles when there's plenty of :retrogames: to be had :shepface:

I've uh... done a thing.. and got a supergun

And I prompted to fry the 12V rail off the ATX connector along with the 1 watt -5V amp when I accidentally bridged +12V and -5V pins. Good thing I have an arcade PSU and the ATX header was at the end of the power chain because it still works :gbsmith:

Anyways I got some other poo poo too because what good is a semi-busted supergun without games

A Capcom ZN-2 with Tech Romancer & Plasma Sword (mostly wanted the motherboard, intend to put TGM1 in it at some point) as well as a Capcom CPS2 which has Progear inside! I already have a CPS2 multi preordered so :getin:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Actual thought process: jesus christ is that on fire, no wait, was that on fire, no wait, AWWWW :kimchi:

I should get some sleep.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the key word there was shoddy SOAC solutions

the FPGA is basically a really loving good SOAC solution

Actually, the FPGA is an FPGA. What you really mean is that Kevin's programming of the FPGA is producing a solution that is better than any other SOAC solution currently out.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fishmech posted:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Could be, but I figured it was just one more nail of consideration to be hammered into the coffin of Code Jockey's Dendy dreams.

EDIT: That all said, I know that some of Panasonic's monitors support SECAM (manufacturer PDF), for those who are fiscally masochistic enough to want to try it.

Thanks you two! I forgot the SECAM thing. Interesting. I'm seeing cheapo converters on Amazon that take PAL / SECAM into HDMI, but I'd really want to use it on my NTSC composite TV.

Ah well, maybe if I get drunk some night and decide I want it for shelf decoration.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Ah well, maybe if I get drunk some night and decide I want it for shelf decoration.

Have you considered the penguin shaped famicom clone?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

Who cares about new consoles when there's plenty of :retrogames: to be had :shepface:

I've uh... done a thing.. and got a supergun

And I prompted to fry the 12V rail off the ATX connector along with the 1 watt -5V amp when I accidentally bridged +12V and -5V pins. Good thing I have an arcade PSU and the ATX header was at the end of the power chain because it still works :gbsmith:

Anyways I got some other poo poo too because what good is a semi-busted supergun without games

A Capcom ZN-2 with Tech Romancer & Plasma Sword (mostly wanted the motherboard, intend to put TGM1 in it at some point) as well as a Capcom CPS2 which has Progear inside! I already have a CPS2 multi preordered so :getin:

if possible can you do a full review of that supergun after you've had some time with it? I think you're the first goon to have one and I've been curious about it for a long time. it seems like an incredible good deal.

e: I'm most curious about how well the auto brightness mode works

e2:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

(though I think byuu kind of gets that, if their latest site update is any indication)

I actually didn't see the FPGA article before he revised it so in all likelihood he probably was getting a leeetle too "personal" about it or something which yeah is something I've noticed from him in the past. I was defending his revised FPGA article and "what is emulation" article, not whatever he had there before

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure how this analog nt works. Would I be able to add different filters to it if I don't like super HQX2 or whatever?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I'm not sure how this analog nt works. Would I be able to add different filters to it if I don't like super HQX2 or whatever?
They're built into the firmware and SD cards are currently only used for firmware upgrades. So, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

They're built into the firmware and SD cards are currently only used for firmware upgrades. So, no.

Well I mean is it technically possible? I need that sweet Sonic Mania filter badly