Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

The House in Fata Morgana is a gothic horror visual novel released in 2012 by Novectacle. It's a story of mystery, intrigue, madness, death, hatred, suffering, redemption and love. I suggested at the end of my previous LP that I was done doing screenshot LPs for a long time, so a couple months later I'm of course doing this again.

Here's the drill:
  • This is, as usual, a comprehensive screenshot LP. There will be music links, and the occasional video, so please pay attention to those for maximum enjoyment. Videos will be fairly sparse in this run, though, since there's no voice acting.
  • I'm going to call my minimum schedule one update every three days, but knowing me it'll more often be daily updates.
  • There are choices in this game, but for the most part I won't be opening them to thread vote. They usually result in a sudden ending if you choose the wrong one, so I'll opt instead for showing off as much as I can.
  • No spoilers! Not even under spoiler tags, not even cagey allusions to spoilers. Not even posts that look innocuous but turn out to be sneaky disguised spoilers in hindsight. Those are easier to see through than you think.
  • If you really want to talk spoilers, lucky for you! We have a Discord channel where you can do so freely. If you haven't finished the game, beware: Spoilers from start to finish are being freely discussed there. Enter at your own risk.
  • My wrists are fine, thanks for asking. I have a system.

Trigger Warning
While there's nothing like explicit nudity or realistic gore, this is not a game for the faint of heart. It contains a great deal of disturbing content, and for those who wish to be warned, a list of potentially triggering subjects that come up in this game is in the spoiler tag below. There's also a more comprehensive list of trigger warnings on the MangaGamer website, but be aware that that list contains substantial spoilers for later chapters - the below list contains spoilers as well, but they're much lighter. If you read either list, try not to discuss any encountered spoilers in this thread. For the more potentially disturbing scenes, I will include specific warnings at the top of the post.

All I can say to the concerned is that the subjects listed below are not generally used recklessly or without purpose. Please use your own judgment about whether or not to continue.

In no particular order: Physical and psychological abuse, domestic violence, racism, homophobia, transphobia, incest, suicide, rape.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1
1 - You and the Maid
2 - Rose Manor
3 - Mell Rhodes
4 - Nellie Rhodes
5 - The Shadow in the Night
6 - Find the Girl
7 - Tranquil Days
8 - Slumbering Fables
9 - For You
10 - The Presence
11 - Slow-Killing Poison
12 - Paintings are Alive
13 - An Inescapable Labyrinth
14 - Darkness Without End

Chapter 2
1 - Weeping Manor
2 - The Visitor
3 - The Twisted Road to Slaughter
4 - How She Sees the World
5 - Serenity
6 - The Beast
7 - Searching for Him
8 - Inhumanity
9 - To Prove He's Alive
10 - Ravenous Hunger
11 - Her Beloved
12 - Ceaseless Howling
13 - The Beast's Identity
14 - The Beast Within
15 - The Fruit
16 - Memento

Chapter 3
1 - Pig Iron Manor
2 - The Winter of our Discontent
3 - Beautiful Recollections
4 - Jacopo and Maria
5 - Her Sanctuary, Shattered
6 - Cosca
7 - Caught in a Quagmire
8 - A Blossoming Youth
9 - Maria Campanella
10 - The Lost Letters
11 - The Pacific Railroad
12 - The End of the Line
13 - The Terrible Woman
14 - The Man in the Painting
15 - Isolation

Chapter 4
1 - Misty Manor (?)
2 - A Place of Tranquility (?)
3 - The Cursed Man (?)
4 - Gentle Tones (?)
5 - A Ray of Light (?)
6 - The Blood of the Witch (?)
7 - Her Wish (?)
8 - Her Wish (2nd ver.)
9 - Casting Off the Fog
10 - Not Remembering Isn't an Option

Chapter 5
1 - The Cursed Mansion
2 - Giselle and Michel
3 - Rational/Irrational
4 - Encaged
5 - The White-Haired Girl
6 - The End of Me
7 - The End of Me (cont'd)
8 - Demon
9 - Their Stories
10 - Life in the Light
11 - Gift
12 - The Moonlight's Spell
13 - A Bright Future
14 - When the Axe Falls
15 - After the Curtain's Fall

Chapter 6
1 - The Maid's Tale
2 - The Maid's Tale (cont'd)
3 - Prelude: The First Visitor
4 - Prelude: The First Visitor (cont'd)
5 - Descent: The Second Visitor
6 - Breakdown: The Third Visitor
7 - The Final Visitor
8 - Malevolence Supreme
9 - New Beginnings
10 - Salvage: First Key
11 - Salvage: Second Key
12 - Salvage: Third Key
13 - Blood of the Holy One, Part 1
14 - Blood of the Holy One, Part 2
15 - Blood of the Holy One, Part 3
16 - Revelation

Chapter 7
1 - Michelle's Childhood
2 - Halcyon Days
3 - Halcyon Days (cont'd)
4 - An Angel Send from Heaven
5 - Demon Child
6 - Demon Child (cont'd)
7 - His Brothers
8 - Farewell
9 - Exiled
10 - The Witch's Curse
11 - Time Treks on Once Again

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

:siren:Video: Introduction:siren:

BGM: The House in Fata Morgana

Like the world fading into view after a dream, that old mansion appears before you.

Without realizing it, you instinctively accept as truth the events unfolding before you.

The house lives in pereptuity - an amalgam of myriad fates and generations.

No one knows who first said that the mansion was cursed.

I was looking down upon a corpse.

I was afflicted with great despair at the sight of it being dragged to the place of my crucifixion. My soul crumbled, and I was wholly extinguished. Indeed, I did once lose everything.

However... as I faded into darkness everlasting, I heard a voice calling out to me. And so, I vowed once more that no matter how long it may take, how great the obstacles that stand in my way, or what form you may assume,

That I must return to that house.

So I ask of you, please wait until this mutilated body arrives there once more.

BGM: None

...ter.

With each new breath, feeling gradually returned to Your fingers.

Master.

You could hear the pattering of rain from somewhere.

Master?

And the sound of a crackling fire.

Creak, creak, creak.

Wake up.

When You came to, You were rocking back and forth in a rocking chair. The room was dimly lit; aside from the flickering of the fireplace, there was no other illumination. No light shone through the closed windows; there was only the pitter-patter of rain on the glass. It was as though the whole mansion had been enveloped in darkness.

BGM: The Maid (Piano)

Someone called out to You. You were about to search the room, but that turned out to be unnecessary. The source of the voice was crouching beside the chair, looking up at You with emerald eyes.

Good morning, Master.

(Out first choice - it doesn't do much, though, just changes a couple lines of dialogue after it.)

Hehe, what is the matter? Are you still waking up? you seem rather drowsy.
Come now, you must gather yourself. Though I am glad to hear your voice.
I have simply been waiting so long for this moment.
Tending to the mansion all by my lonesome, ensuring it was ready for your return — whenever that time may be.
When I caught sight of you through the window, my heart fluttered. The time had finally arrived.

You were perplexed. This woman, who looked like a maid, seemed to know You, but You had no memory of her.

What kind of herbal tea would you like to start your day with? I have some wonderful chamomile leaves, if you would like.
Or perhaps your tastes have changed since last we met. Tell me, Master, what would you like?
Hehehe... I beg your pardon. I allowed myself to get too excited.
But I hope you will be sympathetic, Master. I am just utterly elated that I could see you again.

The woman appeared to be genuinely delighted that You had awoken, but she seemed to lack the energy typical of her age. Or perhaps “life” was a more appropriate word than “energy.” But the gloom extended beyond the Maid — it seemed to encompass the entire mansion. The plaster walls illuminated by the fireplace and the rose engravings in the ebony pillars felt vaguely familiar.

But a crushing sense of claustrophobia overpowered that familiarity. It seemed as though the house wasn’t interested in accepting You just yet.

Do you not know who you are, either?
That is quite the predicament.
If you cannot remember who you are, then who am I to serve?

The woman’s face was pale, almost as though she...

A faint chill ran down Your spine.

If you know not who you are,
then you are no different than a stranger to me, no?
Indeed, you have returned. But from where? That, I cannot say.
Then how about this?
I am a servant of this mansion, and as such, I am familiar with the many incidents that have taken place here. I shall show you the history of this house, Master.
That will surely allow you to recall who you are.

The freshly awakened gears in Your head began to turn as You mulled things over. The Maid had called You the “master” of this house. But without a single mirror in the room, You had no way of seeing what You looked like.

Unable to decide, You reflexively nodded.

Let us be off, then. And fear not — I merely entreat you not to let go of my hand.
Should you hold it tightly, you need not worry about being washed away by the waves of history.
No matter what happens, you mustn’t let go of my hand.

The air within the mansion was oppressive, as though a black miasma hovered within. The house was bleak and barren — hardly a trace of color to be found.

You came across an open window. Beyond it lay nothing but darkness — neither sunlight nor moonlight could be seen. There were no chirping birds, no rustling grass, no signs of life at all. Everything that would normally give color to the world had vanished entirely. The only other presence was that of the Maid.

Following her lead, You proceeded through the mansion.

It appeared to lead to the back garden. You could hear children laughing on the other side.

Though it is in the state you now see it, a beautiful, beautiful garden once lay beyond these doors.
The owner of the time enjoyed gathering rare species of rose from all across the world. At its grandest, it seemed every flower was in constant competition for the most majestic bloom.
Would you like to see this wonderful era of splendor and prosperity?
Hehehe...
I very much hope it is to your liking, Master.

A sudden gust of wind brushed across Your face, forcing You to close your eyes as You followed the Maid out the doors.

When You next opened Your eyes, the world was no longer blanketed in shadows.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm intrigued. Definitely going to follow this.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hmmm, the guy in the music link looks Alucard. Add in the conspicuous lack of mirrors, and I have determined that we are a vampire. Possibly a dracula.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
They're all good vampires, ZD.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There's no such thing as vampires, though. We're probably just a cloud of nanobots or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Obviously they're humans and the mirror itself is suspect

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Maid is definitely in a Drax situation.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I read this recently and enjoyed it but I'm looking forward to seeing more people's takes on it. I liked reading through the Umineko LP too so I have high hopes for this one.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Looks like ancient aliens to me.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
It's vampires all the way down.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Ephemera

This period of history could perhaps be described as a symphony of destruction, as cumbersome principles of old came crashing down. Freed from the day-to-day oppression of these antiquated precepts, the people seemed to hark back to the more poetic, expressive ways of old. They took these newly blossoming emotions in hand, and with them they wrote literature, painted portraits, composed theatre, and found love. Even the Church, which had maintained authority throughout the Middle Ages, embraced the changing times, adopting the culture’s flowering sense of aesthetic. War would break out not twenty years from then, plucking the ripened era from the tree of history — but that is of no concern to us now. At the time, it was still what people refer to as the Golden Age, a period of furor for all who were there.

No, we will not be changing locations — this is a tale about the mansion, from beginning to end. Wewill, however, be moving through time. Say... about eight years into the past.

A very wealthy family lived in the house then. The mother and father, brother and sister all had distinctive, beautiful flaxen hair. I was always enamored by their hair. By contrast, mine is the color of a wet crow. See? There I am, standing around, looking rather a fool.

I was happy back then. And what reason did I have not to be, afforded the opportunity to attend to such a beautiful home? So I poured my heart into serving that family.

...Listen closely, if you would. That soft, fleeting sound that could only be a young girl singing — can you hear it?

The girl you see, cheerfully picking crimson roses and singing like a songbird, was called Nellie. Though young, she sang with elegance.

Nellie was deeply fond of the house’s garden, and she would often spend her afternoons there. Gorgeous roses gathered from all across the world bloomed in the garden. They were given the utmost care, and even had their thorns removed — so young Nellie would not hurt herself, naturally. The light-brown-haired girl carefully plucked petals from the roses, gathering them up as she sang. Her voice was like music played by faeries — nay, the sight of her was like an angel descended from Heaven.

Oh dear. Please don’t look at me like that. I admit I was being rather fanciful... but what is a woman if not fanciful? Hehe...

And even when the sun comes up... Umm...
Oh, dearest Mell! I’ve forgotten what comes next. Are you listening?

Nellie was, as a matter of fact, not the only visitor to the rose garden that day. She always came with her older brother, Mell. The young siblings were inseparable. Mell adored his little sister, who in turn pined for his attention. The sight of the two innocent children cuddling together — not yet shackled by fear for the future — was truly heartwarming.

That day, Mell was sitting in the shade of a tree reading a book. As I am sure you are aware, in their time, books could not yet be mass produced. What he was reading had been copied by a scribe. I presume he had borrowed it from the church. The book, having passed through many hands over many years, was visibly worn — but I suppose that just speaks to its importance. It was, in fact, a Latin grammar textbook he was reading. Mell was a clever boy. He had attended church from a very young age, where a priest would instruct him in Latin grammar. So at that time, I believe he was capable of reading even advanced texts.

The young girl approached her brother, who was consumed by the text. In her hands, she carried a large pile of rose petals.

Though his sister’s shadow overlapped with the tree’s, the boy still did not notice. So Nellie puffed her cheeks, thrust out her slender arms, and let the petals fall.

Ahh!
Hehe. Look, your head is covered in roses, Mell!
Oh, Nellie... you got petals on the book. This isn’t mine. I can’t afford to let it get dirty.
It’s your fault, dearest Mell. I tried to get your attention.
And besides, flowers won’t get a book dirty!
I must raise the white flag. When did my little lady find herself such a sharp wit?
While waiting for you, dearest Mell.
I waited, and I waited, and you didn’t so much as glance at me. I’ll be an adult by the time you’re done reading that book.
Wow, that soon?
That soon. Mother says girls grow up fast.
Haha, she may be right.
In that case, we should do something together before you’re all grown up. Surely you won’t play with me any longer when you become an adult.
That’s not true! I’ll still play with you, even when I’m grown up!
But grown-ups don’t play, Nellie.
F-Fine! I’ll stay a child forever, then!
Didn’t you just say you were about to grow up?
Nnh... you’re so mean, Mell...
Aha... I’m sorry. Please don’t pout, my little lady. How about this? To make it up to you, I’ll play whatever you want today.
Really? Do you mean it? I want to play make-believe!
Make-believe?

And then you turn into a prince when you rescue me.
A knight can become a prince? Impressive.
They can! Knights and princes both have to be charming, so of course they can!
Which is why... Which is why it must be you, dearest Mell. No one else can be my prince — or my knight.

While he may have appeared outwardly embarrassed as his rose-cheeked sister proclaimed prattlingly, I am certain he was smiling on the inside. After a few moments, he meekly knelt, bringing himself to eye level with Nellie and gently stroking her soft hair.

And not just anyone’s princess, dearest Mell, but yours alone!
So um... don’t be anyone else’s prince but mine, okay?
Nellie... Jeez, my princess is quite the fawner.
Is that... bad? Does that make you dislike me?
Not at all. I’m proud to have you as my sister, Nellie.
you mean more to me than anything in the world, my dear princess.
Hehe!
I love you, dearest Mell! you’ll always be my prince, forever and ever!

Her mood quite improved, Nellie began humming the melody of the song she had forgotten the lyrics to. Holding the skirt of her dress out from her body, the young girl pranced about the rose garden. Mell, his eyes on her back, gave a little shrug.

Oh, Nellie... Don’t come crying to me if you trip running like that.

But Mell was not entirely disapproving of his sister’s excitement. He carefully brushed aside the petals on his book, set it in the shade of the tree, and began chasing after Nellie. They were picturesque siblings, brimming with hope. And at this time in their lives, there was nothing to jeopardize that hope.

Would it not be wonderful if children could stay children forever, Master? As I see it, though, the pleasant, gentle times in our lives have valuebecause they come to an end. Wouldn’t you agree? Time continues to flow, impartial and without exception. And as such, everyone’s childhood comes to an end. Be that as it may... does time also flow at the samespeed for each individual?

...Hehehe. Now, let us take a trip down the river of time. I would be very much delighted if we could remain at this point in time, but unfortunately, we cannot.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 23, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This is going to be good

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oh, so what language is the opening song in? Does anyone know? I don't want to do too much Googling in case I run across something too spoilery...

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all the game's vocal tracks are in Portuguese.

Don't look up lyric translations, though, I hear those have some spoilers.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

ProfessorProf posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all the game's vocal tracks are in Portuguese.

Don't look up lyric translations, though, I hear those have some spoilers.

It's mostly Portuguese, but there are a couple in French and Latin, as well.

The lyrics do spoil parts of the story, but generally only as far as when they first play, and even then it's usually a bit abstract.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've found the only known recording of Nellie Singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLujhtpvNJQ

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Petalouda

Oh? you usually stay for longer.
Yes, I have an errand to run today. Thank you for your time, as always. Would you like the book back some time next week?
Next week, or the week after. Hold onto it as long as you’d like.
But surely there are others who want to use it?
None as sharp as you, Mell. Put yourself in my shoes, and you’ll understand. I want to give you any advantage you can get.
Ahaha...
Oh, do you not believe me?
No, I believe you, Father. And I mean to do whatever I can not to disappoint you...
That’s the spirit. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m proud to have you as my pupil.
Ah yes, and Mell — do consider what we were talking about.
Going to university?
Indeed. If you do, I can introduce you to some accomplished instructors.
There is very little left for me to teach you, and I believe you would make a fine priest.
I...
It’s an honorable thing, Mell, to devote yourself to the service of our Lord.
...I’ll give it some thought.
If you’ll excuse me, then. I’ll see you again.
Our doors are always open.
Farewell.

(Whether it’s in the service of God... or the service of the Church... it is an honorable profession.)
(But theology...)
(I wouldn’t mind attending university, but I’m not sure... I’d kind of like to do something different... something more befitting of the times.)
As for what, though, I’m stumped.
(But I need to make up my mind soon...)
(If I drag my feet for too long, even my father is liable to grow impatient.)
Mercy me...

...Ah.
(This beggar... If I’m not mistaken...he’s been outside the church since last week?)
Alms...
(The way he shakes his head...)
(...I can get a glimpse of his forehead under his hood.)
(He’s completely bald...)
Buy yourself some bread with this.
Aaah...
Thank you. Thank you very much. May the Lord bless your soul.
...Thanks.
(The Lord...)
Oh no!
Nellie’s going to be cross if I don’t hurry home...
Curses, and it looks like it’s going to rain.

I was afraid you had accidentally let go of my hand. Hehehe.

Now, Master, this is the period of time I truly wished to show you. The boy reading in the rose garden was now a fine young man. Nonetheless, he still bore the same gentle eyes as before, and he would from time to time show remnants of that innocent young boy. He was, in his own mind, still making the transition into adulthood, I suspect.

Mell frequently visited the church — on Sundays to participate in Mass, of course, but more often to be tutored by the priest. In addition, he also attended a private school run by an eminent marquis. Though it was not a “school” where students had desks and sat in rows. They studied at the marquis’s estate. Secondary and higher education was not the same as it is today. And Mell was considering university. The priest wanted to recruit him to the Church, but Mell was having difficulty deciding what he should do.

That he had such a choice is envious, is it not?

Aye, ready and waitin’, young Master Rhodes!
Oh, don’t call me “Young Master,” please.
I beg yer pardon. Cannae seem t’ get me head outta the past. Yer order’s right here, sir.

Mell had stopped at a jewelry store in the center of town on his way back from the church. The building was both a workshop and storefront, and the nobles of the area were deeply fond of the master’s wares. He was so skilled even the royal family had commissioned work from him. As a matter of fact, the wooden sign out front was engraved with a replica of a piece of his jewelry said to be on display in the palace. As artistry flourished in this Golden Age, the number of shops selling luxurious items, such as jewelry, rose in kind. However, the clientèle of these shops comprised a very narrow range of people.

May I have a look?
Of course, of course!
Good, it came out just as I hoped. Splendid work.
Heh heh heh. Cannae afford to disappoint a loyal customer like yerself.
An admirable work ethic. I’m sure she’ll love it.
Such a kind lad, young Master. M’ boy back home could do well t’ learn a thing or two from ya.
Every man ought to show women some cordiality. Comin’ home to a cold fireplace is a sad thing indeed! Hah hah hah!
Again... please don’t call me “Young Master.”
My apologies!
I’ll take this and be on my way, then.
Good day! If ya find yerself in need of aught else, just let me know. I can make any jewelry ya ask for.
Come to me, and yer sweetheart’s day’ll be sure as made!
And I guarantee the two of ya will haveall sorts o’ fun when ya give it to her!
P-Please, I don’t have a sweetheart...
Huh, well, that’s a surprise. I’m sure many girls are vying for yer hand too, young — Mister Rhodes.
A fine family, good looks, charming! And yer future’s all but —
I-I’ll be on my way, then! I’m in a bit of a hurry!
Good day! Come by again anytime!

Haaaah... Maybe I’ll say I want to study abroad or something...
Patient as my father may be,that would certainly anger him. I can hear it now...“You’re wasting your God-given talents, boy!”
I could renounce my name and rank, go somewhere far away... Heh, that sounds like the kind of plan Nellie would come up with.

As he drew closer to the mansion, the rich fragrance of roses grew more prominent. Over time, this distinctive scent had led visitors to refer to the house as “Rose Manor.” It was also probably a play on the flaxen-haired family’s last name, “Rhodes,” which you heard the owner of the jewelry store say just moments earlier. The mansion looked quite different than it does now, no? No thickets of ivy covering the walls, and no rotten, broken doors to be found. I wonder what the Rhodes family would think if they saw the house in its present, tragic condition. The sight of their abundantly blooming roses — a veritable symbol of prosperity — long since withered and turned into soil.

My apologies. I got a little sentimental there. Let us forget, for a moment, about our own time.

I suppose I stayed out a little too long.
Oh well, the sun still shines high in the sky, I’m sure it’s — Mmph!

BGM: Cetoniinae

I’ve been waiting for-e-ver!
N-Nellie?! you’re not in the house?!
Nope! you were taking so long I decided to wait by the gate.
But you didn’t even notice me! At all!
Is that any way to treat a lady?! All that studying’s got your head stuck up in the clouds.
No, it hasn’t, really...
Also...
you’re heavy.
Could you please get off my back?

I’ve been gradually reducing the amount of sweets I eat — and I love sweets! — to maintain my figure for a new dress, and you call me heavy?!
Er — I didn’t catch that. Were you saying a tongue-twister?
you’re such a dimwit, Mell! Jerk! Blockhead! Weakling!
(And obnoxious to boot...)
(What ever happened to the delightful little girl who was once my sister?)
(... She’d probably throw a fit if I said that out loud.)
Should you really be outside, Nellie? you are the star of today’s event.
It’s fine. They can call it a birthday party, but I know it’s just about fraternizing.
It’s obvious what Father’s true motives are. He’ll be gathering a bunch of boys from good families to look for someone to marry me off to.
Ugh! I have no interest in that at all!
Don’t be like that, Nellie. They’re all here for you.
At least enjoy what you can of the party.
Grr...
I guess! And besides, it’s notcompletely terrible!
Look at this, dearest Mell! What do you think?
What do I think...
about what?
About... what?
MELL...

How could you not notice?!
I-I did notice it was something I hadn’t seen before, but you have so many dresses, Nellie, so...
But this is the dress I had made just for today!
Look at the colors. They’re so pretty! It’s the work of a renowned dyer!
And this belt is just lovely! you see how it comes together to form a butterfly?
O-Ooh...
Oh, I’m just absolutely in love with it! I think I’ll be wearing this dress for a while to come!
So, tell me, what do you think? Does it look good on me?
Yeah, uh... it does.
It’s pretty.
Hehehe!
(In some ways, I guess she is still a delightful little girl.)
Oh, dearest Mell, I loooove you!

Ah!
Oh my, you dropped something.
And whaaaat have we here?
Wait — Hold on! No! you can’t have that yet!
Is it a present?!
G-Give it back! I was going to give that to you later!
I knew it! It’s for me! And just what could it be?!
H — Hey, don’t open it!
What’s the big deal? It’s going to be mine soon anyway, isn’t it?

A rose necklace! And this design... It’s from the jeweler the royal family uses!
Oh, my dearest Mell... you had this made just for me!
Oh, jeez...
It defeats the purpose if you open it before the party.
Happiness is always better sooner rather than later, Mell! I think I’ll put it on right away.

It looks lovely.
Mmmmnh, my prince is still the sweetest in all the land.
D-Don’t make such weird noises.
Oh, but why not? A prince always knows exactly what his princess wants.
And this princess wanted some rose jewelry to go with her new dress. Understand? Hehehe.
Jeez, I sure don’t have it easy playing your prince, Nellie. It might be about time you found a new one.
A prince is a prince because you can’t just find one standing on the street corner. If you want to retire, dearest Mell, you’re going to have to wait another ten years.
That’s a long time...
Or, if you find yourself a new princess!
I-I’m not so... Hmm...
Hehe. you’re about as romantic as a rock, dearest Mell. But worry not, your adorable sister will always be your princess. What more could you want?
Are you really allowed to be the judge of that?
I mean more to you than any other girl in the world, do I not? Then that makes me your perfect princess!
H-Hahaha...
Heeeey! What was with that “laugh and it’ll all be over soon” laugh?! you’re always telling me I mean more than anyone to you.

Hehehe.
I’ll take good care of the necklace! Thank you, my dearest Mell.
Well... if you’re happy with it, then so am I. you’re very welcome.
Now, back into the house with you. Can’t have a party without the guest of honor. Do you know if anyone is here yet?
Mmm, nope. I imagine they’ll be here soon, though.

Yeah. There was something I didn’t know how to translate, so I went to look it up.
Wow, so diligent. I can’t say I really like the priest there, personally.
Actually... I kind of feel the same way.
What? Really?! Why?
Well, you know. I have my reasons.
Mmm...
Hehe. So even you don’t always like the priest, huh?
Let’s skip Mass on Sunday, then! We can go play —
No skipping church.

You saw it with your own eyes, so you know just how much she has changed. She was always a cute little girl, and she grew into an even more beautiful young woman. Though she was only fourteen, she was well on her way to becoming a fine lady. As for her character, well... Hehehe. But a girl like that has her own charms, would you not say?

Drifting down the river of time, the two siblings matured into healthy young adults, but the core of their relationship did not change in the slightest. Nellie was very much attached to her brother, and as much as Mell complained, he still cared deeply for his sister. Around the time the sun had begun to set, carriages started lining up outside as well-dressed aristocrats made their way into the house. As Nellie had suspected, the majority of them were boys.

Rose Manor, right? Okay, we’ll go together.
Me, alone? No, please don’t make me...
The inhabitants of Rose Manor...
are surely living quite contented lives.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, man... I think I got this on a steam sale once. So the great dilemma presents itself: do I play it by myself, or participate in the thread?

Aw, heck- looks like the gangs all here already, and I do love discussion. So yeah, lets have another story of a lonely house with something wrong inside it. Not really a lot of conclusions that can be drawn now (I am tempted, for example, to say that our amnesiac is Mell, but that seems like a very easy, obvious trap- for all we know, we could be Nellie), however... this is really kinda similar to how a lot of vampire stories begin isn't it? Pretty young man, aloof, noble, involved in church, 17th century, cute sister, positively redolent undertones of approaching doom- just how many V:tM fanfics does that cover already?

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
You mention V:tm, and I initially thought "yup, vampire torpor". Although the "fog of ages" things that makes vampires forget their past is more of a New World of Darkness than Old World of Darkness thing, and I will fight anyone that puts nWoD over oWoD. :colbert:

Now laugh as this turns out to be something completely different from a vampire story.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Yeah, definitely getting Interview of the Vampire vibes.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
I am very excited for this :dance:

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
Guess I'll jump in on this. Looks good so far.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Walls colorfully decorated with tapestries and stained-glass windows gave testament to their great fortune. The servants’ first assignment every morning was to clean this room. Pitchers, silver plates, and silverware were polished to a shine so they could be proudly put to use at a moment’s notice. And for events like their daughter’s birthday, the room served an even more important role. The tables’ tops were removable, so they had ordered new tabletops with designs made especially for this occasion. And once the banquet had drawn to a close, tables speckled with half-empty wine glasses and leftover candied fruits were moved off to the side to make room for — of course — the festivities.

Nellie, I had these jewels cut just for you.
You’ll let me have this dance, won’t you?

What’s the matter, Nellie? you look exhausted.
These are pretty good. Want one? I know you like sweets. They’re apples candied in rock sugar, I think.
You disappoint me, dearest Mell.
Er?
What do you think is the matter?! They just keep coming. It never ends.
It’s driving me up the wall. Everyone’s just repeating the same lines they’ve been taught. They all think pretty jewels and requests to dance are enough to make a girl swoon.
(But I think that is true for you, Nellie.)
(Though... why is she disappointed with me?)
Uggggh, I think I’m done with birthday parties after this year.
They’ll probably throw an even bigger one next year.
Huh? Why?!
Well, you know. you’re... about that age, Nellie.
We are a reasonably distinguished family, so there are a number of different houses that would like to have connections with us.
So...
...So what you’re saying is “do it for the family”?
No, that’s not —
I won’t date or marry anyone!
I have no interest in being used as a pawn in their inter-family politics!
“Pawn”? I wouldn’t go that far... A-And I’m sure Father wants to let you choose yourself.
You know, uh, someone you actually love.
Love?
I-I never thought I would hear you talking about “love,” dearest Mell.
Er...
You don’t even understand what makes Shakespeare’s plays so beautiful, and you’re talking about love!
I, uh...

We went all the way out to the Globe Theatre too!
Well, pardon me for being ignorant when it comes to romance and the arts.
But you’re not, Nellie. Shakespeare’s make-believe story made you cry like a baby.
Anyone would cry at that! you’d have to be crazy to sleep through it!
That’s not what I’m saying. Someone as emotionally vibrant as you, Nellie, would have no problem finding love —
Ah, dearest Mell! We should dance!
Lady Nellie, could I have this —
Let’s dance, dearest Mell!
Wh-Whaaaat? Me?!
Wait a —
Come on! I really like this song!
Q-Quit pulling on me, Nellie! What’s the point of us dancing? We’re siblings!
(Ahhh... Mother and Father are staring daggers at us...)
No matter. What day is it today, dearest Mell?
Yur birthday...
Exactly. So I can do what I want!
Now, attend to your princess — as a proper prince should!
Oh, jeez, how did I get myself into this?

Mell, on the other hand, fumbled over his own feet trying to keep up. One would be hard-pressed to describe his dance abilities as “good,” even as flattery. Though boys of his pedigree were taught to dance as part of their etiquette lessons, he found himself more being dragged around by his sister. He could hardly be said to be “attending” to her.

(Th-This is humiliating!)

Because his parents had been hands-off in raising him, largely giving him free rein to study and learn what he pleased, Mell looked like a tangled-up marionette. From throughout the hall, he could hear giggling, uncomfortable chuckling, and people coughing to disguise their laughter.

Come now, dearest Mell. If this is the best you can manage, what are you going to do when you find a girl that catches your eye?
I won’t, so it doesn’t matter!
Hehe.
Follow my lead, Mell.
One, two, three... One, two, three...
Nnnh...

Nellie alone enjoyed her time dancing with her brother — and quite thoroughly, at that. It did not matter to her that he moved awkwardly or that the guests were giving them cold stares.

It was their parents who first cracked under the pressure.Just as their father was about to give an exaggerated cough and stop the music, a ruckus suddenly swelled up near the entrance.

Who knows...
(Whatever’s going on, I’ve been spared.)

The music came to a stop, and the party guests began bustling. The siblings’ father spoke up sternly above the noise in order to quell the spreading commotion. He ordered the servants to investigate, had the music restarted, gave a short apology for the interruption, and set the party back on course. I went to go check on the entrance with the other servants, as I recall.

Hehe... These are not my memories, but those which dwell within the mansion. Do you think we should be following what happens next from my perspective, then?

That is not what confused you? Well, your questions shall be answered in time. In time...

Now, let us return to our tale. Though the party had fallen still for a moment, their father’s decisive actions restored the guests’ festive moods in short order. So it was not, by any means, the commotion that caused the ball to conclude earlier than planned.

It was rather loud too. Sounds like we have quite the storm brewing.

They lived in a country where the weather was nothing if not unpredictable. Rain was a frequent occurrence there. The stretches of time with clear skies grew longer as summer approached, but the weather was still somewhat unstable on the cusp of the two seasons. They had a strong wind that night as well, which turned the raindrops into little spears on the window. Were the party to continue on any longer, no one would be able to go home. Although their father was quite concerned that Nellie had not got on with any of the aristocrat boys, he decided to cut the festivities short.

I’m not sure having your own birthday party cut short counts as lucky...
But it was no fun! I can’t help it if I’m not enjoying myself.
And for heaven’s sake, Arthur was here. I have no interest in dancing with that dunce.
Arthur...? Who’s that, again? Someone who was here?
Unbelievable! you don’t remember anything, do you, dearest Mell?
He came over to play a few times when we were little.
He’s covered in gross freckles, and he’s a huge jerk.
He said my hair looked like the color of fallen leaves. Fallen leaves! Just thinking about that ugly smirk has me fuming.
And yet he acts like nothing happened. He even calls me “Lady Nellie,” for goodness’ sake.
... Are you listening, dearest Mell?
I-I’m listening, I’m listening.

Uggggh! you weren’t listening, were you? Who cares about that?!
S-Sorry. But aren’t you curious? It probably wasn’t another guest, at least.
Maybe a cat sneaked in.
You think so?
I do.
But enough about that! Would you like to play cards in my room, dearest Mell?
Seriously? I’m exhausted, though.
It’s not even that late!
Mnh... Fine...
(Something... Feels kind of off...)
(...A cat?)
(...)
(I want to go check — )
Come on, hurry up!
H-Hold on! you don’t need to drag me, Nellie!
My birthday isn’t over yet, so you’re not done attending to me.
Oh, Nellie...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 7, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Pretty sure this should be "You think so?", as Mell doesn't really seem the type to perform such weird shortening naturally.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
That's weird, I'll try and see if my script parser is doing something funky later.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

This game. This loving game.

It's definitely an experience, and that's about all I feel I can say without unintentionally doling out spoilers. Well, aside from noting that I love the art and music, that is. Good on you for including both, Prof.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm following along. The siblings sure are throwing out every red flag eh.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

The rain just won’t let up.
(I can’t sleep...)
(I wonder what the commotion earlier was about...)
Oh, for goodness’ sake.
It’s all the storm’s fault.
That’s why I can’t sleep.
I’m just fretting over nothing.
I’m sure Nellie was right — it was just a cat.
Maybe a dog.
I can’t sleep!
I hardly ever have this much trouble falling asleep.
(What could this feeling be, I wonder? It’s not quite foreboding...)
(Walking around the house at this time of night isn’t going to help anything... but I’m not going to fall asleep just lying here...)

BGM: The Maid (Effected)

Though he was intimately familiar with the layout of the house, that night, the hallways felt like an endless labyrinth veiled in shadows. No moonlight shone through the windows, so he naturally found himself moving cautiously, despite being in his own residence. Keeping the palm of his hand pressed up against the chilly wall, he put one foot in front of the other. But to where was he supposed to head? Mell, of course, had no way of answering that question himself. If he had anything... it was guidance from above — the path to his destination lit by flashes of lightning. Or perhaps there was something else leading him along.

Though he progressed with a fair bit of hesitation in his step, Mell was slowly but surely drawing nearer to one room in particular. He made his way through the seemingly endless halls... past the living room, its fireplace long since cooled... into another corridor... and then stopped outside an abigail’s bedchamber.

A gust of wind is not necessary to make a flame flicker. A person’s movements, or vibrations in the air from someone speaking — the slightest of motions can cause the light of a fire to quiver. Shifting subtly, as though nudged by an invisible fingertip.

(I can see light from inside...)
(Is she still awake?)
(...A voice.)

He seemed to be hesitating. It would not be difficult for him to approach the door and peer inside. But he had reservations about peeping in on another’s chambers, even if it was his own house. Moreover, this room... was assigned to a woman. There was a woman behind that door. What would you do, Master, in this situation? Would you succumb to your curiosity and gaze inside? Or would you respect the owner’s privacy? Hehe...

(But the voice...)
(It feels like it’s calling to...)
(me?)
(Or someone else?)

I — yes, me — could sense someone watching me at that moment. He had succumbed to his curiosity. He stood on the other side of the door from me, his flaxen eyes open wide, trying to remain as invisible as possible. The wavering in his heart seemed to create faint ripples in the air, which I pretended not to notice.

Yes, I knew he was there. I could sense his presence, and his wavering emotions. However, I could not begin to speculate as to his true feelings, or how great a surprise this was to him. I too am discovering new facets of this tale by viewing it through the eyes of the mansion. But it is not I who is of concern, Master. It is you. you, and —

(I know I shouldn’t be doing this.)
(I should be ashamed of myself.)
(But I... I can’t look away.)

(Her skin, it’s so pale you can practically see through it.)
(Is it that white because she was out in the cold rain?)
(Her hair is white as snow, and her eyes...they’re like...)
(Like... How do I describe it?)
(My vocabulary truly lacks for situations like this.)
(They look like...)

Like blood?

(No, that’s just disturbing!)

Then wine, perhaps?

(No, more translucent than that...)

Gemstones, then?

(Yes, gemstones...)
(Her eyes are like rubies. I’ve never seen anyone like her before.)
(What could they be talking about?)

Mell’s eyes were affixed on the peculiar young woman. She had glasslike skin, eyes that glimmered in the flickering candlelight, and snow-white hair that flowed like luxurious silk. But her lips were bluish-purple; her soft, delicate skin sullied with grime; her twinkling eyes pointed down at the floor; and her hair a disheveled mess. She was, even at a glance, clearly not a lady of means. The tips of her fingers were cracked from the cold, her nails pale from malnutrition, and her garb little more than rags.

However, true beauty is always visible, no matter what it may be hidden beneath. Even wrapped in a veil of insalubrity. Even if she thought herself hideous.

(I wonder what happened to her...)

Mell could no longer avert his gaze from the girl’s visage. He had, for the time being, forgotten the shame he felt for peeping. As he strained his ears to hear the conversation taking place inside, a sickly voice arose from the White-Haired Girl’s purple lips. So feeble was the sound that a gentle breeze blowing through the room could carry it away.

Think nothing of it.
Give your apologies, and thanks, to the mistress.
Understood...
There is something strangely comforting about this house — almost as if I’ve been here before...
If my father were here, I’m sure he would be quite fond of it.
I am sorry about your father.
That’s not —
There’s...nothing you could have done, I imagine.
When you came to our rescue, he was already...

(Was that, perchance, what the commotion was about?)

He stared intently, entranced by the scene unfolding beyond the door. A gaze can often signal one’s presence to others more effectively than words. The White-Haired Girl could likely sense him there as well.

She flicked her gemlike eyes upward.

That was when the boy finally felt a pang of panic. For a split second, his flaxen eyes met her ruby eyes, causing him to recoil from the door. His heart was pounding like the rain outside. Careful not to make a sound, he took one, two steps away.

(I-It was only for a moment. She can’t have seen me.)

The boy did not have the courage to peek in on the room a second time, so he cautiously returned to his bedchamber as quietly as he could manage. But even beneath his covers, he could not erase that girl’s eyes from his memory.

Her melancholic red irises.
Her voice, delicate as a glass sculpture.
Her pale, almost lifeless skin.
Her pure-white hair.

Every singular detail kept him from banishing her image from his mind. Nor could he restrain his heavily pounding heart.

Is something the matter?
No... I just thought I felt someone watching us...
Hehehe. It’s only your imagination, I’m sure.
If not your imagination, then perhaps some unseen force was watching you.
...Unseen force?
Are you familiar with how people refer to this mansion?
Rose Manor...
Yes, indeed. It is called Rose Manor because you can smell the sweet fragrance of the rose garden even at a great distance.
But that is not what I meant.
It is said...

...A witch? I have not heard any such stories...
You probably wouldn’t have. It was a very, very long time ago. Nothing you need concern yourself with.
You have... a peculiar presence about you.
Should I consider that a compliment? Hehehe...
It’s getting late; you should get some rest. A room has already been set aside for you.
But first, may I ask you one thing?
Yes?
I do not believe you have given me your name yet.
My name...

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I imagine this page is starting to be kind of a nightmare to load, so hopefully we can reach a new one soon. The plot of Chapter 1 is, at least, finally beginning to move.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

... Really, Prof? :what: Another one, right after the first? I'll allow it because I'm intrigued, but if you make a hat trick of mysterious, immortal witches with a penchant for roses and their relationships to rich and troubled families, I'm going to call for an intervention.

Because until the w-word, I took one look at that girl and said "Yep! Yep! Vampire!" Red eyes, pale skin, an unearthly nature, hair that is described as unkempt and dirty but in the picture is more perfect than most girls can manage on their wedding days... I'm willing to put down money that her "father" was really just some poor enslaved man who got too old to pass off as her brother or something. But then, The Word happened, and I wonder if I have it all wrong now... or at least have the wrong target for my suspicions, because the maid looks exactly the same as she does now, and really has every descriptor I just mentioned except the eyes, which gets her nothing because that shade of green looks just as unearthly in its way. But that's all I really can say yet, because we've got overtones of dread aplenty and two siblings pulling red flags out of their mouth like stage magicians, but no real action yet.

Also, "wrapped in a veil of insalubrity"? Check this writer/translator out- you barely ever see even period dramas use the forms of salubrious (a legitimate if somewhat archaic term meaning healthy or wholesome, from the Latin root salus), gold star. Likewise for describing the maid with the term "abigail"; no that's neither typo nor spoiler, people really did use to use that name as a term for female servant in this time period. This is in short some good period writing; I thought I'd get them with the references to Romeo and Juliet, but if this story is happening in 1603 plus eight= 1611, then yes, the Globe was around and Romeo and Juliet is a play you might have seen there.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
no, the OTHER Japanese visual novel set in a gothic mansion full of rich people rumored to contain a mystery witch

Honestly, when I first started playing this, I wasn't sure if it was originally written in Japanese or English. The localization team put some real effort into the prose.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Also, "wrapped in a veil of insalubrity"? Check this writer/translator out- you barely ever see even period dramas use the forms of salubrious (a legitimate if somewhat archaic term meaning healthy or wholesome, from the Latin root salus), gold star. Likewise for describing the maid with the term "abigail"; no that's neither typo nor spoiler, people really did use to use that name as a term for female servant in this time period. This is in short some good period writing; I thought I'd get them with the references to Romeo and Juliet, but if this story is happening in 1603 plus eight= 1611, then yes, the Globe was around and Romeo and Juliet is a play you might have seen there.

The localization certainly does a lot to reduce that underlying impression of '21st-century people in old-timey clothes' that plagues so many period pieces. *cough*Game of Thrones*cough*

The only really anachronistic thing I've spotted up to this point is the reference to a lack of mass-production of books. Around 1600, printing with movable letters - and thus mass-production for the markets of emerging capitalism - had been available for more than a century, simple wood block printing being even older (and China already had printed documents in the 7th century). A generic Latin grammar textbook certainly wouldn't have been hand-copied, unless that particular volume is supposed to have been a few hundred years old.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Mnnnnh...
Wake up —

...Wha?!
Huh?! ...It’s morning?
You disappoint me, dearest Mell! It’s very much long since morning!
I didn’t see you at breakfast, so I came to find out what was the matter.
I’ve really been asleep that long?
And Father is too lenient on you, dearest Mell. Oversleeping is hardly proper behavior for a firstborn son!
I-I know...
But before that...
Yes, dearest Mell?
What are you doing in here?! you can’t just go prancing into a boy’s bedchamber! Leave that to the servants!
I did send one for you. you’re the one who refused to wake up.
Besides, it’s not like we’re strangers. We used to sleep together all the time.
That was long ago. Things are different now.
Oh, you’re overthinking it, silly. Now hurry up — out of bed, sleepyhead!
All right, all right, I’m getting up. So you can see yourself out —
Oh my, you look awful, dearest Mell!
For someone who overslept, you look like you didn’t get a wink last night!
Y-You think so?

I-I-I-I would never! you know that!
You squeaked. I don’t think I believe you.
I didn’t go out last night or anything... I’m tired because... you had me playing cards until late, Nellie.
Heeeey, we weren’t playing for that long! Besides, look at me! I got up just fine!
A-Anyway! Shoo! I can’t get dressed with you in here!
Fiiiine, I’m leaving.
...Phew.
Oh, I almost forgot, dearest Mell!
Wh-What now?!
Come on! No need to be mean!
I’m sure you’ll be quite surprised at the news.
... Oh?
At breakfast — which you missed — Father told us...
Told you what?
Do I really want to say? It sounds like you want me out of your room, dearest Mell.
Please, Nellie.
Hehe.

I’ve never seen anyone like her before.
For supposedly coming from a good family, she isn’t very graceful, and I’ve never seen her at social gatherings.
But that’s not the surprising part.
Does that maid...
She’s peculiar! Has a very unusual appearance, that one...
...have white hair?
Wha — How do you know that, dearest Mell?
...!
Thanks, Nellie!
H-Hey! Get back here!
Oh, for goodness’ sake, what’s gotten into him?
...Bah.

However, the ladies of the house all had abigails, so there were several women servants, myself included. The maids, by and large, were selected from the daughters of other esteemed families. It was, you could say, a sort of training before they entered society. The girls would serve at houses even more powerful than their own. And the White-Haired Girl Mell saw the night before was one such maid.

When he heard this, Mell could not sit still any longer.

I’m guessing... She’s probably Mother’s maid.
White hair...
(It has to be the girl from last night.)
(But...)

Deep down, he was having difficulty believing the young woman he had seen the previous night was truly here to be a servant. And can you blame him? When he saw her, she was an absolute mess — hardly what you would envision from a girl of class. But he did not seek her to find out whether that was true. He merely wanted to see her once more, to ascertain whether what he had witnessed the previous night was real or his imagination. And he wanted to have an actual conversation with her.

(I don’t want to run into Mother... That would be awkward.)

He was heading toward his mother’s bedchamber, but the closer he drew, the heavier each step grew. He rounded a corner, debating whether or not to head back — and stopped in his tracks.

On occasion, wishes do come true. When Mell turned the corner, he saw her — the same girl. That same white hair.

Ah...

She appeared to be cleaning the hallway. She traced along the wooden carvings lining the walls, making certain not to miss even a speck of dust. The girl wore a pristine dress — the uniform of the mansion’s abigails. There was no longer any filth to obscure her beauty. All that had covered her pure-white hair and glasslike skin was no longer. The one thing that had not changed was her listless ruby eyes.

Pardon me...

Hearing his footsteps, the young woman raised her head. She caught Mell’s gaze and for a brief moment merely blinked at him in silence.

D-Did he? I guess I don’t need to introduce myself, then.

I believe she made an attempt to smile, though it was difficult to tell, and she quickly dropped her gaze back to the floor. Flax and ruby met only for the briefest moment. She seemed to be looking at both someone and no one at all.

Everyone here truly has the most beautiful color of hair... Did you have business with the mistress, Lord Mell? I can let her know, if you would like.
No, I was looking for you...
For me?

Mell felt as though all the blood in his body had begun to flow backwards. He could not effectively describe the sensation, but in a word, it resembled panic. On his way to find her, Mell had come up with a number of subjects he wanted to talk about — and he generally had little trouble speaking with others. He’d had less experience interacting with women, this was true, but the time he had spent around Nellie had kept him from stumbling too much.

Until then.

Y-Yes! For you!
Why would you... be looking for me, Lord Mell?
I — I was wondering how you were doing.
...Pardon?
I-I’m quite fine...
G-Good! That’s great to hear!

(You have more important things to ask — like where she came from. Or to tell her... She has pretty hair and eyes.)
(But I don’t want to trouble her too much...)
L-Lord Mell?
Yes?!
Sorry, you just suddenly fell silent. Was I, um, in your way?
I-In my way?! No, not at all!
Wh-What are you up to?
...I’m... cleaning.
(Well, yeah. I didn’t even need to ask.)
Ahh, you’re cleaning!
Oh, uh, you can just let the other servants take care of the cleaning. you’re one of the nobles’ daughters we took in, right? Then why is Mother making —

But...
I enjoy cleaning.
...Well, if you say so...
Say, um... Yesterday —
This mansion is truly a thing of beauty. All the many roses in the garden — even the furnishing has had a great deal of thought put into it.
This family must have a wonderful sense of aesthetic.
Oh... Yeah, thanks.
(Did she... just change the subject on me?)
I’m delighted to have been given the opportunity to serve at such a magnificent house.
Mother and Father... actually had nothing to do with that. Not even the garden.
That’s all been around since my grandfather’s time. This mansion was a complete wreck when he bought it.
Oh, was it?
Yeah. Frankly, I’m surprised he actually paid money for it.
The chandelier in the foyer was shattered and only half attached to the ceiling. Most of the decorations on the walls were broken.
I... can hardly imagine.
This is a marvelous... impressive house.
Ahaha. I’m sure he’d be flattered to hear it.
My grandfather was a bit of an eccentric. He liked to do things people didn’t expect just to watch the looks of surprise on their faces.
He was the kind of man who would buy a mansion that was beyond repair just to give it a completely new life.
Everyone who had seen the property before it was renovated was astonished. They regretted not taking the opportunity themselves, seeing the transformation it underwent.
Hehe.
...Huh?
I was just thinking that you’re kind of like this house.
What do you mean... by that?
I mean, when you first arrived —
Oh, uh, no, never mind. Forget it.

(She hasn’t yet... has she?)
Yes?
I-It’s nothing. The more I think about it, you and the mansion aren’t really comparable.
Oh?
The truth is, it being a run-down mess isn’t the only reason nobody wanted to buy the house. They say...

Do you believe it?
I...
Hehehe.

It’s all rumors and hearsay, embellished to make the tale more exciting. The rumors only started because of how it used to look.
If the mansion truly begot misfortune, then we wouldn’t still be here.
And it wouldn’t explain how my grandfather died. Do you know how he passed away?
No... How did he?

...What?
Believe it or not, that was how he died — together with a young, beautiful woman.
His time ran out while he was making love to her, they say. A... rather crude way to go.
But he was hardly misfortunate.
What’d I tell you?
...Ah!
Yes?
J-Just so you know, I, uh, I promise I didn’t inherit my grandfather’s propensity for such base behavior!
I am pure of body and spirit, dedicated wholly to my studies, so...

(Hey, she laughed.)
Hehe... M-My apologies.
N-No, it’s fine.
A-Anyway, we were talking about the mansion, right?
I’ve always thought it was kind of a strange place myself. That dress you’re wearing, it was found here after my grandfather bought it.
You don’t see that kind of design around these parts, so I’m guessing it was probably imported.
The architecture is really old-fashioned too, which must have caught Grandfather’s eye.
When he announced his plans to buy it, the entire family opposed his decision, but he refused to budge.
Renovation upon renovation gave the mansion new life, but of all his work, he was most fond of the roses in the garden.
He collected species from all across the world, and every time he got a new one, he would summon gardeners to arrange and grow them. It took incredibly long to complete.
There were even some that wouldn’t grow in the climate of this land, but Grandfather refused to give in.
He truly loved roses.
Me, I don’t really get how someone could be so impassioned about them. It’s just embarrassing every time someone calls this house “Rose Manor.”
Perhaps the roses were meant for someone.
What?
I am simply speculating. Roses make wonderful gifts, after all.
Indeed, they do.
If you like roses as much as Nellie, then you’re welcome to go see them for yourself. Pick as many as you’d like. If anyone asks, just say I gave you permission.
I...
Don’t be shy. I’m sure it’ll get tiring if all you do is work.
No, I just...

...Oh? That’s unusual. Perhaps that explains why you’re so pale.
I had no idea. That sounds rough. And your skin is so pretty too.
You... don’t seem terribly surprised.
Wha — Oh, no, I’m very much surprised. Or would you have preferred a more dramatic response?
No... I just...
I expected you to find it... disturbing.
I’m sensitive to sunlight and can hardly spend any time outside. That makes me sound like some kind of demonic creature...
Ahaha.
...?
Oh, you worry too much. There’s not a monster in the world as sweet as you.
Ahh!
Y-Yes?

Almost as if she has a steel heart, or something. She’s impenetrable.
Right, she’s one of Mother’s maids too, isn’t she? Now I’m even more worried.
“Since you refuse to follow my instructions, you are henceforth hellspawn!”
I can imagine her saying that.
Hehe.
(Oh, and again.)
I-I’m very sorry.
No need to apologize. In fact, I wish you’d laugh more.
Umm... she’s actually very kind to me, and everything she does, she does with incredible precision and efficiency.
She looks so young, and yet she has such skill. How long has she been here, in the mansion?
Actually, uh, she’s been here for quite some time, but I don’t know exactly how long.
No one knows how old she is. It’s kind of creepy...
I... I have never once considered her such.
S-Sorry, you’re right. It’s bad manners to speak ill of others.
(Either way, she still scares me. It’s like there’s no light in her eyes — or like her smiles are all faked.)
(That doesn’t make her any less pretty, though.)
(Ah... the conversation died. I have to think of something else to talk about...)
Um —
...Um.
Er — Oh, uh, yes?! you can ask me anything!

I have not seen him around...
Oh... yeah. Father frequently returns home. This mansion is actually our secondary house.
Why do you ask, though?
I was... just curious. Nothing more.
O-Oh?
...Um —
Um.
Yes?! What is it?
One of the maids asked to see me, so I should be on my way. If you’ll excuse me...
Wha...
A-All right... See you later, then...
...Goodbye.
Oh right, one moment!
...?
Since you’re sensitive to the sun, I can pick some roses from time to time for you...
F-For you to decorate your room!
Lord Mell...
Th-That’s all. Sorry for holding you up!

(She definitely thinks I’m obnoxious... Argh, I want to hide under a rock. I want to reverse time and try this over again!)

Roses... are not becoming of me...
He is too kind.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2018

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Someone found a new princess. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Mell is such a dork.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Vampires, witches and creepy brother-sister relations, oh my!

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Yep, definitely a vampire.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

There are no vampires here, just someone with albinism.

:colbert:

(Yeah, it's probably a vampire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Every potential flag. For everything. We're not even a page through.