Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kyte posted:

She's pointing out he's gone beyond fair retaliation into literally the same thing that spurred Eren's own quest for revenge. We know Eren is perfectly aware of the gravity of his actions, but Mikasa doesn't.

It's not that.

This is literally the first time Eren's killed people. Innocent men, women and children at that.

Mikasa, precisely because of who she is and her history, understands both the cold logic behind it and the horror Eren unleashed upon them: she experienced it first-hand along with him when her world was taken from her.

She's sad for him because he's become a murderer. To protect him has always been her purpose, and it breaks her heart to see him like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was more pointing out that both sides are surprised at the carnage when the world just announced their intent to genocide a bunch of islanders and suddenly civilians are dying.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Porco getting his rear end whooped and fleeing was hilarious. Instantly in over his head the moment he shows up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is literally the first time Eren's killed people. Innocent men, women and children at that.

nah he and mikasa both killed people before. remember the backstory of how they first met? those guys weren't innocent, granted, but still

he also ate his dad. not exactly in control of his own actions there but it happened

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Lamebot posted:

Porco getting his rear end whooped and fleeing was hilarious. Instantly in over his head the moment he shows up.

I really liked that. He was the only one who hadn't really fought other titans or 3DMG and his inexperience showed. He didn't even realize what had happened when levi slashed his jaw

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

I really liked that. He was the only one who hadn't really fought other titans or 3DMG and his inexperience showed. He didn't even realize what had happened when levi slashed his jaw

It's a nice parallel to the late scouting legion veterans having no experience fighting titan shifters.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

who would a have thunk that generations of oppression and fighting a bleak war against the titans would have turned the people of paradis island into extremely efficient man killers

:thunk:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
QUIT PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD YOU FUCKER

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Manatee Cannon posted:

nah he and mikasa both killed people before. remember the backstory of how they first met? those guys weren't innocent, granted, but still

Slavers aren't people.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Zeke's gonna switch sides.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope he does and then just gets stabbed in the back for being a snitch.

Also what exactly is Reiner's plan for passing on the armoured titan anyway? One of those kids would get the full war crime experience from his memories and they'll probably snap and go hard in one direction or another between Marley and Eldian.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Which is part of why he didn't want his relative to get the power. At one point they said the closer the familial link the easier it is to access past memories.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is reiner still trapped in that building

Conspiratiorist posted:

Slavers aren't people.

:rolleyes:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

This. 100 times this. Damnit, Eren. You had Warhammer by the jugular, but you flinched. Also, yeah I'm totally on board with the inevitable Tactical Orbital Armin Strike. Let the guy have a glorious entrance to really make everyone poo poo their pants.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

HoneyBoy posted:

maybe it's difficult to eat a titan crystal so it didn't matter

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

comedyblissoption posted:

maybe it's difficult to eat a titan crystal so it didn't matter

MAYBE IT'S NOT, WE DON'T KNOW BECAUSE EREN IS HESITANT AS gently caress

I have to wonder what they've done with Annie at this point, so many technological/weapons and Titan biotech advancements in such a short amount of time, there's gotta be some progress there.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Is this the final arc of the series? Warhammer Jaw Beast Cart vs Founder/Attack Colossus with Female Armor wild cards. I don't see how this could ever be topped.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sub Harrison posted:

Is this the final arc of the series? Warhammer Jaw Beast Cart vs Founder/Attack Colossus with Female Armor wild cards. I don't see how this could ever be topped.
3DM gear for titans, Eren coordinating the Paradis Island titans in said 3DM gear vs a stockpile of sentient titans Marley has hidden away for an emergency.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sub Harrison posted:

Armin: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Eren: Yes, sir.
Armin: Are you listening?
Eren: Yes, I am.
Armin: Walltitans.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Armin: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Eren: Yes, sir.
Armin: Are you listening?
Eren: Yes, I am.
Armin: Walltitans.

To be fair, they don't even need the walls anymore after killing the rest of the titans on the island.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

change my name posted:

To be fair, they don't even need the walls anymore after killing the rest of the titans on the island.

Exactly where I'm going with this. The wall titans could now be an offensive force, assuming for some wild reason they tore down the walls in the past five years.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Exactly where I'm going with this. The wall titans could now be an offensive force, assuming for some wild reason they tore down the walls in the past five years.

They'd still need Coordinate to control them. So unless they've managed to turn Historia into a shifter they probably aren't anywhere near the mainland.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

In It For The Tank posted:

Zeke's gonna switch sides.
I very much bought into Zeke switching sides, but he hasn't done anything so far (persuading the other shifters or actively stopping them before they could attack Eren and company), and he very much doesn't seem like the type of person to have a change of heart mid-battle. Something that makes AOT way better than most Action Genre stuff is that once people start killing they stop talking, and any previous excuses for deescalation (mainly keeping Eren as a live hostage for transport back to Marley) are currently out the window.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

I feel like there's going to be one more arc, with one last big reveal of some sort. There are still Eldians all around the world that are forced to live in internment camps. Even if Paradis defeats Marley, I feel like they won't want to stop there.

There's also the issue of Titans existing at all. They're still going to exist no matter who wins this war, and I feel like something is going to be done about them before the end. We still don't know for sure which story about their origin is true, or even if either of them are. Maybe the source of Titans is still out there somewhere.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

snucks posted:

I very much bought into Zeke switching sides, but he hasn't done anything so far (persuading the other shifters or actively stopping them before they could attack Eren and company), and he very much doesn't seem like the type of person to have a change of heart mid-battle. Something that makes AOT way better than most Action Genre stuff is that once people start killing they stop talking, and any previous excuses for deescalation (mainly keeping Eren as a live hostage for transport back to Marley) are currently out the window.

Eren sending letters through the Marley post points toward subterfuge beyond what's been revealed, and while that might not specifically imply collusion with Zeke, I don't doubt it will lead into something major.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd just like to say that after the timeskip character development I'm pretty happy that Reiner wasn't killed back during their last encounter on Paradis. It was frustrating at the time but I like his character so much more now that it really paid off in spades.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I'd just like to say that after the timeskip character development I'm pretty happy that Reiner wasn't killed back during their last encounter on Paradis. It was frustrating at the time but I like his character so much more now that it really paid off in spades.

Yeah, he wouldn't have suffered nearly enough if he just bit it there relatively pain-free :kheldragar:.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Warhammer seems a bit too powerful, if either Armin or Eren get its power, it'll be like a cheat code allowing them to defeat anyone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eej posted:

I was more pointing out that both sides are surprised at the carnage when the world just announced their intent to genocide a bunch of islanders and suddenly civilians are dying.
What civilians on the island? It's an island of demons. These are real people who I know and care about who are dying.

The Islanders aren't surprised. Some of them are conflicted because they know what it's like to be subject to a massacre, for families to flee in panic and children to be crushed by rubble... but they're all prepared to do it anyway.

This story is really loving sad. There is no glory here.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Say Nothing posted:

The Warhammer seems a bit too powerful, if either Armin or Eren get its power, it'll be like a cheat code allowing them to defeat anyone.
The current dynamic of it being OP but used defensively by a smart but probably inexperienced shifter is really fun, and I'm guessing we're more or less near the end of the story. It's the perfect final titan to reveal as we shift focus to a more technologically advanced world.

Eiba posted:

The whole chapter's done a good job of it, but the moment between Eren and Mikasa really hammered home the feeling of "we know we're war criminals, but it's the only we way know how to survive". Eren has come a very long way from the righteous anger he was originally defined by, and it draws an eerie parallel with the series theme of "are your actions more evil or less evil when you're fully aware of their consequences?" first echoed by the mindless titans, then by the shifter trio, and now by virtually everyone.

snucks fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 18, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point the only characters I have any hope for, in terms of them not living life waist deep in blood as a brutal killer...

I guess Falco? Gabi seems a little too gung ho, she might be too far gone already.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet falco inherits the armor titan tbh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

it's only powerful because Eren is fighting it, anyone else will kill it immediately because eren is never allowed to win a fight, ever

Eiba posted:

What civilians on the island? It's an island of demons. These are real people who I know and care about who are dying.

The Islanders aren't surprised. Some of them are conflicted because they know what it's like to be subject to a massacre, for families to flee in panic and children to be crushed by rubble... but they're all prepared to do it anyway.

that's what makes it kind of lame tbh, pretty much every major revelation seems to have been designed to systematically eliminate everything interesting about the setting

timeskip to everything being just a boring glob of grey morality is par for the course

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Schwarzwald posted:

Eren sending letters through the Marley post points toward subterfuge beyond what's been revealed, and while that might not specifically imply collusion with Zeke, I don't doubt it will lead into something major.

It was strongly hinted that Eren was in contact with Zeke, since Zeke loves baseball and Eren got a baseball glove "from his relatives" while he was in that hospital.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

that's what makes it kind of lame tbh, pretty much every major revelation seems to have been designed to systematically eliminate everything interesting about the setting

timeskip to everything being just a boring glob of grey morality is par for the course

Completely disagree; I think the time-skip and subsequent events have been really good and extremely unusual for such a popular shounen series. It was a really risky change to suddenly have a bunch of chapters not featuring the main characters (and for the main characters to be adults when they show up) in a series like this. The more cliche "grey morality" outcome would be something along the lines of Eren acknowledging neither side is purely evil and finding a "third option" that somehow avoided with the island being destroyed or attacking Marley.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I don't understand how you can find post-timeskip boring. It's been a thorough explanation of Reiner, Bert and Annie's actions for the first 80 chapters, and was a great parallel to the theme of part one: sacrificing your humanity for mankind. Reiner genocided Wall Maria to save his people, just like Eren has attacked Liberio to protect his. And to say Eren vs Reiner is "boring grey morality" is absurd. The fact Eren and Reiner have both committed atrocities yet neither can be called the good or bad guy makes it the most interesting manga I've ever read.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yinlock posted:

it's only powerful because Eren is fighting it, anyone else will kill it immediately because eren is never allowed to win a fight, ever

I'm not sure what you want it to be exactly. Everything interesting about the setting has been enhanced because it moved away from just being about giant zombies eating people, as cool as that setting was. If it was anything else than what it is right now, I wouldn't like it half as much. Scenes like Eren stating he would go ahead with his plan to Reiner, knowing that he was basically brainwashed and all the innocent people Eren would kill, is what makes this manga so good.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I don’t see the grey morality when the Marleyans are pretty explicitly bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
He wanted it to be a zombie movie with giants. I think what we got was way more interesting, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

theCalamity posted:

I don’t see the grey morality when the Marleyans are pretty explicitly bad.

Something about two wrongs leave everyone blind I don't know man