Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, by the end of the year it might easily be the two best teams in the entire league and one of them won't get to the ECF. Dumb system.

When did Nashville and Winnipeg get moved to the east?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Even though the Capitals are likely going to go through the same thing soon it makes me smile to see the Rangers collapsing.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Games like tonight is why I'm okay with Andersen giving up weird super soft oddity goals once and awhile. When he's on, he's really good and can steal games. Imagine if he gets hot in the playoffs? I mean, there's always that blunder waiting that's terrifying but I think maybe I take that trade off. I dunno.

Just stop getting hit in the head please.

Mind_Taker posted:

It’s going to rule when the two best teams in the East meet in the second round again this postseason. What a swell playoff format the NHL has.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, by the end of the year it might easily be the two best teams in the entire league and one of them won't get to the ECF. Dumb system.

1v8, 2v7 etc is superior for sure.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Pretty sure the Rangers have given up on their coaching staff

im ready for the tank and i am ready to win the draft lottery

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Even though the Capitals are likely going to go through the same thing soon it makes me smile to see the Rangers collapsing.

Chicago too.

Also joke answer Edmonton.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

a false posted:

im ready for the tank and i am ready to win the draft lottery

with the rangers luck dahlen would either bust hard or break a leg walking up to the podium

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I like it when Matt Martin isn't in the lineup and players like Kapanen who are competent are there instead.

Thank you and god bless.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

When did Nashville and Winnipeg get moved to the east?

I'm looking at the standings and it says Tampa and Boston are 1 and 2 in the NHL? Must be a mistake.

Nashville and Winnipeg are good as hell though. Wouldn't surprise me if one of them is first by the end either.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Stretch Marx posted:

I like it when Matt Martin isn't in the lineup and players like Kapanen who are competent are there instead.

Thank you and god bless.

Kapanen rules. I never want to see Martin again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matthews had a 2G+1A game against Anaheim, sandwiched inbetween games against Boston and Nashville where he had a 20% CF%. I think the season's long grind might be getting to him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs have played 5 games in the last 8 days, I’m not super surprised that they’ve been bottled up against the Bruins and Preds in the second half of that stretch.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/961452496664322049

wooooooo

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
It’s nice to see the Cody McLeod acquisition is working out exactly like everyone thought it would. Gorton’s strategy is to have him injure as many players as possible, thus creating demand for a larger trade market. Same reason Burrows attacked Hall. It’s genius, really.

Also they should just do a playoff lottery. Top 16 teams make the playoffs. You find out who you play when Daley opens the envelopes.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

with the rangers luck dahlen would either bust hard or break a leg walking up to the podium

i'm predicting he'll die of undiagnosed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a preseason game

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

He won't let it ruin his weekend.

Christ I'm sick of this streak of stoic boring captains.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

He won't let it ruin his weekend.

Christ I'm sick of this streak of stoic boring captains.

fear not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXy0dXdYVM

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Slappy Pappy posted:

Also they should just do a playoff lottery. Top 16 teams make the playoffs. You find out who you play when Daley opens the envelopes.

Top 16 in the league make the playoffs and then it's re-seeded from there.

As of right now would be:

Tampa - Anaheim
Boston - Calgary
Vegas - New Jersey
Winnipeg - Colorado
Nashville - Pittsburgh
Toronto - Minnesota
Washington - San Jose
St. Louis - Dallas

Actually no, that's terrible. So many huge time zone mis-matches.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Going to be a while but yeah. He had a good day for the pack today too!

E:

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/961451808609718272

Good lord

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That would imply the Bruins would make it past the first round.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

did he just admit to tanking

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

iospace posted:

I hope it's Leafs-Bruins in round one because that'll guarantee one of them out and I can have a good laugh about it.

Plus more Game 7 bed making GBS threads.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

did he just admit to tanking

Eh I mean they did start the game playing decently well. Then they just fell apart

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

iospace posted:

They’re gonna win the cup bro

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Theyre pulling a classic Capitals and peaking too early.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

iospace posted:

yeah. do they have some kind of "first round choker" label that I am unaware of? They've made the Cup Finals twice in their last five appearances lol

Fateo McMurray posted:

also this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah. do they have some kind of "first round choker" label that I am unaware of? They've made the Cup Finals twice in their last five appearances lol

Taking iospace's half hearted troll attempts seriously is like taking aphro's half hearted troll attempts seriously

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

io's only been here like 10 months, she doesn't know all the gimmicks yet.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas with the slow start is now ramping up to peak in the playoffs and blow through to the finals.

Or bishop will slip on a banana peel and it'll all be over. Should be fun, either way!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Bruins are really good and possibly better than Tampa, but I'm not sure they'll be a better team once the Lightning acquire Karlsson and/or McDonagh.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

The Bruins are really good and possibly better than Tampa, but I'm not sure they'll be a better team once the Lightning acquire Karlsson and/or McDonagh.

I have a really hard time seeing how any of the elite teams make the trade for Karlsson. Between cap constraints and the type of return Ottawa will be looking for, it just seems tough. Unless you can convince Ottawa to take a ton of picks and prospects, I'd imagine you're giving up one or two solid young players on your roster (in addition to picks and prospects) and that seems like a thing teams that are already top-5 in the league might think twice about. I mean if I'm Ottawa and Boston or Tampa calls, I'm probably hanging up if the offer doesn't include guys like McAvoy, Sergachev, or Point. Then you factor in that Karlsson is going to Get Paid when his contract is up, and it makes it a huge gamble.

I think McDonagh is gonna be the guy those elite teams will go for. He'll probably be cheaper to acquire, which means you're not risking as much but still improving the team in a big way. I'm hoping the Bruins go for him and Rick Nash. If the Rangers are going for a real rebuild I think they could be acquired for a handful of 1sts and 2nds, and some of the organizations better non-NHL prospects.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rangers are hot garbage, good thing it looks like the players are all in on the tank now tho

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have a really hard time seeing how any of the elite teams make the trade for Karlsson. Between cap constraints and the type of return Ottawa will be looking for, it just seems tough. Unless you can convince Ottawa to take a ton of picks and prospects, I'd imagine you're giving up one or two solid young players on your roster (in addition to picks and prospects) and that seems like a thing teams that are already top-5 in the league might think twice about. I mean if I'm Ottawa and Boston or Tampa calls, I'm probably hanging up if the offer doesn't include guys like McAvoy, Sergachev, or Point. Then you factor in that Karlsson is going to Get Paid when his contract is up, and it makes it a huge gamble.

Karlsson is just one of those players that you can't get real value back on in terms of current NHL assets. If the Senators trade him, it's because they recognize they're not winning anything anytime soon and don't want to commit $10M+ to him long term at this juncture. The idea of a hockey trade returning a player even half as valuable as him is laughable (and I mean what would that prove aside from being an overall downgrade to the team?), so you have to figure the Senators would ask for futures and in that instance you're looking at probably a good young roster player, a couple good prospects and a first round pick or two.

In the case of Boston or Tampa, that probably does mean moving McAvoy or Sergachev, but given the return I don't think that's a totally unappealing decision. It's an immediate upgrade for two teams poised to make a run for the cup, and Karlsson isn't some run of the mill rental. The Senators have every right to ask the world for Karlsson, but I think a team would and should pay it if they really believe they can win the cup in the next couple years. They likely won't have the cap space to be competitive for him if he hits the open market, and this is probably the only other way to acquire a franchise defenceman. Not that I think the Senators have any intention of moving him now or in the future (unless Karlsson has made it clear to them he's not coming back when his deal is done).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vegas has plenty of cap space for Karlsson.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mind_Taker posted:

It’s going to rule when the two best teams in the East meet in the second round again this postseason. What a swell playoff format the NHL has.

I for one am looking forward to another first-round bye for the Penguins before they meet the Caps in the second round again. Good job, Gary.

I'm also looking forward to my team somehow finding a way to third so they can lose to (probably) Pittsburgh (again). That's more a commentary on the desire for some variety which might result from the old format than it is having to face the same team for the third time in a row.

On that note, let's go get Nash and Brassard and go full nostalgia trip, Jarmo. We need goals.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm also looking forward to my team somehow finding a way to third so they can lose to Pittsburgh again. That's more a commentary on the desire for some variety which might result from the old format than it is having to face Pittsburgh for the third time in a row.

The current playoff format was designed specifically to make teams face each other over and over in the playoffs because the league figured that the best way to build rivalries. So I guess it's working but it's also quite stupid and that's pretty much the NHL in a nutshell.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'd love to see Karlsson in Colorado but I don't think it'll happen since they'll just be getting their first back anyway.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think McDonagh is gonna be the guy those elite teams will go for. He'll probably be cheaper to acquire, which means you're not risking as much but still improving the team in a big way. I'm hoping the Bruins go for him and Rick Nash. If the Rangers are going for a real rebuild I think they could be acquired for a handful of 1sts and 2nds, and some of the organizations better non-NHL prospects.

The ask for McDonagh will probably be pretty big and they don't have to deal him right now or even this year if they don't get an offer they'd like. The Bruins going for Nash and McDonagh would probably be a bigger price then they'd be willing to pay I'd think

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

In the case of Boston or Tampa, that probably does mean moving McAvoy or Sergachev, but given the return I don't think that's a totally unappealing decision. It's an immediate upgrade for two teams poised to make a run for the cup, and Karlsson isn't some run of the mill rental.

I'm probably in the minority but I think I'd rather have McAvoy or Sergachev for the next decade or so than have Karlsson for a season and change, even if it gives the team a better shot at a Cup in that small window.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I think I'd rather have McAvoy or Sergachev for the next decade or so than have Karlsson for a season and change, even if it gives the team a better shot at a Cup in that small window.

yeah that's really the thing these teams have to decide...is a shot at the cup now worth trading a young asset away? They could always re-sign Karlsson or McDonagh and they both have another year on their contracts so it's not a pure rental, but then you have a big contract locked up into a guys mid-late 30's

but if you win a cup it might be worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i would take two decades of mediocrity in exchange for one stanley cup; and hell, i already have, and then some

• Locked thread