Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Watched the episodes, season is real entertaining, thanks for the nudge to watch folks! I had definitely heard of Versace the brand before but not the man or really anything about him, much less that the man who murdered him was a serial killer :stare: Definitely different than last season but it's been very entertaining so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Getting my once-per-episode :stare: :stare: :stare: out of the way early

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s an American Crime that more people aren’t posting about this show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The show's insanely well told from a dramatic standpoint but man there's no way they could do the wikipedia tell of events. Jesus christ

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

The show's insanely well told from a dramatic standpoint but man there's no way they could do the wikipedia tell of events. Jesus christ

What? From what I've seen from Cunanan's wiki this is going almost exactly according to script
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cunanan

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Darren Criss absolutely owns my bones and I think this whole thing is really well put-together and I really appreciate that this story is being told like this...

...but if I have to be honest, Cool Motive, Still Murder: The TV Series is really not my type of thing. I'll probably watch one or two more episodes to see if something really grabs me, but it'll really be more out of obligation to one of my favorite actors than for the fact that I super wanna see what happens on a show like this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m just wondering when they’re actually going to get back to the show’s namesake

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m just wondering when they’re actually going to get back to the show’s namesake

I mean it's pretty clear that this is the Andrew Cunanan Murder Hour and the Versace title is because he's the most prominent name attached to the events.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I mean it's pretty clear that this is the Andrew Cunanan Murder Hour and the Versace title is because he's the most prominent name attached to the events.

Yeah but you also don’t hire Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin and just quietly abandon them after two episodes. They seemed to be setting up something about their parallel lives and I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an episode with no Cunanan at all, especially because we have now seen all of his murders.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GobiasIndustries posted:

What? From what I've seen from Cunanan's wiki this is going almost exactly according to script
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cunanan

Wait did the old guy get perforated by screwdriver

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait did the old guy get perforated by screwdriver

that part was different but all the other murders line up and he still did the 'tape the head up' thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus that episode was heartbreaking :smith:

this season is fantastic but will be real hard to rewatch

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's actually hilarious that ep1 at points felt like some HLN trash for soccer moms and now I can't imagine a more goony show.

The lack of a central detective character is a really neat/perverse choice too, just forces the viewer to just simmer in the brutality.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Jesus that episode was heartbreaking :smith:

this season is fantastic but will be real hard to rewatch

:smith:

Man. I'm never watching this again.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
This show is difficult for me to process. I might make a long post detailing my overall reaction when it's complete. For now, I'll say what strikes me the most is how candid it is in presenting what is fundamentally loose inference as a believable story of motivations and events. Andrew's mother kept something of a small shrine to him up until the day she died, placing his photos right next to a portrait of Benedict XVI. She did believe him innocent, set up by the mob. She was senile, possibly came from a mob family herself, and had a very troubled mind even before her old age. I politely excused her love for her deceased son, who committed horrific acts. But... there is a lingering feeling of injustice, that in the face of the ugly drive to commercialize such shocking brutality, there's very little anyone has to say which which cannot be dismissed, if it doesn't aid the weaving of a more compelling story.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but you also don’t hire Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin and just quietly abandon them after two episodes.

Penelope Cruz, yeah, but I'm pretty sure Ricky Martin's phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook with acting opportunities.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

Penelope Cruz, yeah, but I'm pretty sure Ricky Martin's phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook with acting opportunities.

No, but he’s still much more famous than anyone on the show besides Cruz (and maybe Criss if you’re under a certain age).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

algebra testes posted:

Man. I'm never watching this again.

My boyfriend tapped out on this season already. Personally I don’t think I’ll ever give this a re-watch. Not that it’s bad, just like, yanno, Dancer in the Dark or House of Sand and Fog you see it once and you know you’ll never watch it a second time.

I’m kinda surprised so many people aren’t familiar with the case. Though, I admit I only know because of that Eminem song with the line ‘it’s me Versace! Somebody shot me. But I was just checking the mail. Get it? Checking the male?’

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How much was it really in the news at the time? I was pretty young when the murder happened but I definitely don't remember it being anywhere near as high profile as OJ, or Katrina or the Clinton scandal. I would imagine Cunanan killing himself kept it from being a recurring talking point for news outlets because :shrug: he's dead case closed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you were young enough it happened during your summer break. Plus no lengthy trial.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I'd never heard of it before the show. I talked to my parents to see if they remembered anything and my mom asked me if Gianni Versace had anything to do with the fashion designer. ("Uh yeah, that's him." "Oh I didn't know he was dead.")

Sooo it doesn't seem to have been a hot topic of conversation in my house as a kid.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GobiasIndustries posted:

How much was it really in the news at the time? I was pretty young when the murder happened but I definitely don't remember it being anywhere near as high profile as OJ, or Katrina or the Clinton scandal. I would imagine Cunanan killing himself kept it from being a recurring talking point for news outlets because :shrug: he's dead case closed.

I was in middle school when it happened and I remember it being a pretty big deal for at least a solid 2 weeks, but after that there wasn't much attention to it. Cunanan was dead, so there was no interviews with him or a trial to watch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I was in middle school when it happened and I remember it being a pretty big deal for at least a solid 2 weeks, but after that there wasn't much attention to it. Cunanan was dead, so there was no interviews with him or a trial to watch.

Year round school?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

Him being good in this is such a pleasant surprise.

The OJ season didn't click with me but I'm board with this one so far. The casting for the minor roles have been spot on, the architect's wife stole the episode she was in.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Cash Monet posted:

The casting for the minor roles have been spot on, the architect's wife stole the episode she was in.

That's Judith Light from Who's The Boss?!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

clown shoes posted:

That's Judith Light from Who's The Boss?!

And Transparent

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why would you let this guy stay in your apartment?!?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Woof, that was a harder than normal episode to watch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeff cutting his own tattoo off with the razorblade :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

e: oh no it's getting worse OH GOD HOW IS IT GETTING WORSE

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 15, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeff cutting his own tattoo off with the razorblade :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

e: oh no it's getting worse OH GOD HOW IS IT GETTING WORSE

What in particular gets worse?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This episode was so sad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Milo and POTUS posted:

What in particular gets worse?
The hanging. I mean, he ended up not going through with it, but watching him struggle with it was really rough :smithicide:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The hanging. I mean, he ended up not going through with it, but watching him struggle with it was really rough :smithicide:

Yeah that part was brutal. I was making food

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I tracked down that comic

http://www.ep.tc/problems/38/cvr.html

Gross

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I don’t know how much more of this season I can stomach; the last two episodes that focused on David and Jeffrey made me so sad.

I was near tears when David had that vision of making it to safety and his dad was there with a cup of coffee.

That’s the problem with this show, though. Their deaths were obviously a foregone conclusion, but I was still hoping David was going to escape out that bathroom window.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Show rules. Cunanan's portrayal is diabolic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That was a great episode. Those guys deserved better than Cunanan.

e: So was this crime spree a rampage against closeted men?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frosted Flake posted:

That was a great episode. Those guys deserved better than Cunanan.

e: So was this crime spree a rampage against closeted men?

I think only as much as to have any level of security and material comfort you have to be closeted as a gay man at this time period. Even Versace, a millionaire in the traditionally feminized domain of fashion design, is conflicted about coming out. Cunanan is mostly a maniac and a grifter, so he's attracted to success, therefore his targets tend to be closeted gay men.

The show is about the fact that Cunanan uses the secrecy and shame of homophobic culture to hide, so the personal stories tend to be focused on the closeted lives of his victims.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No new episode tonight?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I was 12 when the whole Cunanan thing happened and it didn’t become a big nationwide deal until the Versace murder. Then it was by far the biggest item on the news with Miami going into Boston Bombing-level lockdown and armed police going door to door. The media played catch-up saying “yeah, he had been at it for months now”. At least how I recall it.

• Locked thread