Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

My thanks goes to the random review I read somewhere that spoiled the Season 1 ending but made the show sound so compelling that I checked it out and watched the whole first season in a day.

Yea I knew the Season 1 twist going into it and I still loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Yea I knew the Season 1 twist going into it and I still loved it.

One study said being spoiled is more enjoyable.

At any rate, S1 is immensely satisfying to rewatch when you know they're being forked with the whole time.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Whiz Palace posted:

At any rate, S1 is immensely satisfying to rewatch when you know they're being forked with the whole time.

Yeah I watched the first season knowing what would happen, and I didn't think it ruined anything - if anything I enjoyed Ted Danson's performance more.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea I really don't buy into that nonsense, a good twist is still something to be appreciated. I was still pissed off when the title of FYAD spoiled Episode 7 for me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The show is good either way. However, I do think it's good to let people choose how much they want to know in advance. It's not cool to go around spoiling people who don't want to be, even if a study has persuaded you that it's for their own good, which some people do (who are jerks).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had season one "spoilered" for me but I think if I hadn't known I wouldn't have given the show a chance because the first couple episodes make it seem like a sappy feel good comedy set in goofy heaven. My wife on the other hand did not know anything and it took until about 6 episodes in for the show to start growing on her, when it was becoming more and more clear there was a bigger mystery afoot.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If the possibility that they were really in the bad place didn't even cross your mind until it happened, I have trouble believing anything at all crosses your mind other than "oog oog me hungry"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The S1 ads, which iirc were mostly just Kristen Bell shoving shrimp in her bra, made it look terrible. I only tried it when it came on Netflix because so many of my friends liked it and I just happened to be sitting around with a cold. It really didn't seem promising at first.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only tried it because a transit related meme group kept going on about how the good place is supposed to be a paradise and there are no cars and only a train station which is clearly correct, cars should only be found in the bad place.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

drunken officeparty posted:

If the possibility that they were really in the bad place didn't even cross your mind until it happened, I have trouble believing anything at all crosses your mind other than "oog oog me hungry"

Okay, Bad Janet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Then call me Grog cause I was surprised

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My guess was that literally everyone in the neighborhood was put there mistakenly and didn't want to tell anyone. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Regy Rusty posted:

Then call me Grog cause I was surprised

:same:
I wouldn't say I entirely turn off my brain when I'm watching stuff, but if it's a show I like i don't try to think ahead too much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is such a good show and I really love these characters and I hope everything is good and funny next season.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/ShinraAlpha/status/960881442871005184

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Whiz Palace posted:

I really don't know why people keep bringing up a single flawed study in response to people outright saying they don't like getting spoiled, as if to rub it in their faces that 'no, you're wrong about what you're saying you feel.'

The thing the study gets wrong is that nobody going into the experiment cared about the texts -- there was no anticipation involved beforehand. That's what people dislike about getting spoiled, the feeling of looking forward to an experience and getting it cut short. Obviously some people are going to care more or less about it in general (people are different) but I've seen enough arguments about it in general to know that it's at least worth avoiding unnecessary spoilers by default, or at least phrasing your recommendations in ways that keep reveals and good moments intact.

(It's also worth mentioning that the way they implemented the spoilers is actually straight up how some mysteries are written; you see the crime at the beginning including the perpetrator and the rest of it is the suspense of whether they'll get caught. Rope is probably my favorite example.)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Ethics of Spoilers: A lecture series by Chidi Anna-Kendrick

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I do wonder if Eleanor failed or passed her test. She cut off the judge before the latter could finish her sentence, and while Eleanor's made big strides in becoming a better person, we also know the Good Place is very picky about who gets in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

double nine posted:

I do wonder if Eleanor failed or passed her test. She cut off the judge before the latter could finish her sentence, and while Eleanor's made big strides in becoming a better person, we also know the Good Place is very picky about who gets in.

The judge literally told her she passed at the end of her test. She cut off the judge to spare the feelings of her friends.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The judge literally told her she passed at the end of her test. She cut off the judge to spare the feelings of her friends.

Watching television is like, really hard

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm aware. I'm also aware that in the next episode, the judge said:

quote:

Slow your roll there, Erin Brockovich.
First of all, y'all didn't get good enough to pass the tests I just gave you. Second, I still believe that the only reason that you improved in Michael's fake neighborhood is because you thought there was a reward at the end of the rainbow

so did eleanor get close or actually pass? Because as shown with Chidi, time was a factor and she paced through a lot of doors before making her decision. It could be reaching the right decision was enough, it could also be that a "good person" as defined by the system would come to the right decision instantaneously instead of mulling it over for god knows how long.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 8, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The judge was just being polite by respecting Eleanor's decision to go with the others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished watching both seasons and goddamn this show is good. It had been hyped like crazy by everyone I knew and when I started it I thought it was good but not the amazing thing everybody insisted it was... then "Holy forking shirt" happened and I realized the show lived up to the hype.

....now I have to wait months for more and I don't even have a sex robot and cocaine to keep me busy.... :sigh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Not a robot

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Janet's casual, cheery correction of every time she is called a robot or a girl never fails to make me laugh :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerusalem posted:

Janet's casual, cheery correction of every time she is called a robot or a girl never fails to make me laugh :)

It's probably my favourite thing in the show, honestly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double nine posted:

I'm aware. I'm also aware that in the next episode, the judge said:

so did eleanor get close or actually pass? Because as shown with Chidi, time was a factor and she paced through a lot of doors before making her decision. It could be reaching the right decision was enough, it could also be that a "good person" as defined by the system would come to the right decision instantaneously instead of mulling it over for god knows how long.

There there

MiddleOne posted:

Watching television is like, really hard

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's probably my favourite thing in the show, honestly.

I am very attractive, yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished watching both seasons and goddamn this show is good. It had been hyped like crazy by everyone I knew and when I started it I thought it was good but not the amazing thing everybody insisted it was... then "Holy forking shirt" happened and I realized the show lived up to the hype.

....now I have to wait months for more and I don't even have a sex robot and cocaine to keep me busy.... :sigh:

You could buy yourself some wind chimes...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://i.imgur.com/YfkDrud.mp4

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Did anyone else hear Fatboy Slim playing as Michael sauntered up to the dog?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like that the sun is apparently only 300 feet away.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Here's an interesting psuedo-theological take on the show:

Are You There, God? It's Me, The Good Place

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

I like that the sun is apparently only 300 feet away.

I thought that was a nice touch that showed how "small" the simulation was. The "sun" is just a simulated light source hovering at about the height of a low cloud.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are you there, God? It’s me, Blake Bortles.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Yea I really don't buy into that nonsense, a good twist is still something to be appreciated. I was still pissed off when the title of FYAD spoiled Episode 7 for me.

How is there global warming if there's still snow, huh?

Seriously though spoilers are The Most First World Problem and while I won't try to ruin anyone's day with them because I try not to be a jerk, they're really not a big deal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This show made me understand that all these little "jags" smilies and poo poo on SA are in reference for some sort of florida sport team.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Michael Schur told Sepinwall that Leslie is first ballot for entry into The Good Place, with Garry as a probable. The only person he guaranteed gets into The Good Place no problem is --- Jamm ---

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Characters from Parks and Recreation

• Locked thread