Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kensei posted:

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!

We run a SharePoint on-premise app-dev platform and use Nintex for our workflows. The interface beats SharePoint workflows hands-down and is much more extensible. Get yourself some training, there are plenty of resources online. The O365 version has a ton of extra hooks into other online services like O365, SalesForce, MailChimp, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

lambeth posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

I didn't think it was possible to beat the time one of the centers paid $175 for us to send out a tech because they couldn't figure out how to unplug a power cable,* but yet, here we are.

* Our users seem to have difficulty understanding that to reboot the credit card machines, they need to unplug the small black power cable. Or the other end of the cable that plugs into the wall. This is the only black cable connected to the machine, and there are only two cables connected to the machines. "I can't find it."

"It's not powering on. I checked the cable." As I get to inform another user that cables have two ends.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lambeth posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

I didn't think it was possible to beat the time one of the centers paid $175 for us to send out a tech because they couldn't figure out how to unplug a power cable,* but yet, here we are.

* Our users seem to have difficulty understanding that to reboot the credit card machines, they need to unplug the small black power cable. Or the other end of the cable that plugs into the wall. This is the only black cable connected to the machine, and there are only two cables connected to the machines. "I can't find it."

oh my god

now someone please tell whoever did it about Win + CTRL + C

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We got to bill a client to unjam a printer years back.

The printer had no paper in it. We drove to Wales to tell them they needed to put paper in the printer. (I suppose this is technically a failure on our first line, too)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I got asked to set up an entire call center environment for a three person group because one of the people uses the phone for personal calls all day and they don't want to handle it by just talking to them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dick Trauma posted:

He said that the YouTube people sounded very confident and that if I didn't move the WAP he would go to my boss. So I moved it into the next office and that was enough for him.
You are much more mature than I about that. If I encountered one of these idiots I'd be scrambling to find an AP with the most and largest antennas I could get to put as close as possible to their desk.

"Sorry, our coverage survey says we need some extra capacity right here"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

wolrah posted:

You are much more mature than I about that. If I encountered one of these idiots I'd be scrambling to find an AP with the most and largest antennas I could get to put as close as possible to their desk.

Put one of these in his office and point them straight at his head

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Get a big scary looking helical antenna and point it straight at their desk.

e: Refresh before posting. Though I'd recommend something with an exposed coil, like this:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

wolrah posted:

"No. If you want to talk to my supervisor about it, here is his number."

If a supervisor won't back you, then the place isn't worth working for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

"No. If you want to talk to my supervisor about it, here is his number."

If a supervisor won't back you, then the place isn't worth working for.

This is Dick Trauma we're talking about, his supervisor doesn't even remember his name except when he's getting poo poo on.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Category: Other

Is there any kind of tilt switch in the Server equipment? We are going to lift one side of the server cabinets being very careful with the cabling, so the flooring can be installed under these cabinets later today

at least he asked i guess

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stare:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is there any kind of tilt switch in the Server equipment? We are going to lift one side of the server cabinets being very careful with the cabling, so the flooring can be installed under these cabinets later today

If you shake it, coins fall out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

wolrah posted:

If they ever complete the "realignment" of the company I will probably end up reporting to that guy, and I've already antagonized him plenty just by pushing back when he tries to insist that these hosed up idiots are actually acting in a professional business-like fashion.

He's been here for almost 15 years, and I think it was his first real job so he has no idea about how a business should run.

I think everyone here has had enough of me but they lack the will to look for a replacement. So until then I keep getting that paycheck.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
People connecting to our webapp from Arkansas are getting timeouts every now and then.

Please check their network and see where the latency issues are.

That's all the information I've been given, I pushed back to at least get a phone number or an IP address, twice, while still getting daily annoyances about this issue.

Management "Well people in California don't see this kind of latency so it must not be an issue with the network traffic! Stuff from farther away works so stuff closer must work better right?"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Farts posted:

People connecting to our webapp from Arkansas are getting timeouts every now and then.

That's all the information I've been given, I pushed back to at least get a phone number or an IP address, twice, while still getting daily annoyances about this issue.

Management "Well people in California don't see this kind of latency so it must not be an issue with the network traffic! Stuff from farther away works so stuff closer must work better right?"

Check for this. https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I knew someone would post this. :haw:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kensei posted:

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!
A while ago I found out my place has a Sharepoint environment set up. It's used by one single unit, and they found all the version control stuff annoying so they had it all turned off. We're paying who knows how much for a harder-to-access network drive.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Farts posted:

We have something similar going on with a VPN from India to California. My boss has been cussing a blue streak over the India people refusing to answer the questions he asks and demanding that he just "fix the problem". This has been going on for three YEARS, but the people in India have decided that a recent shutdown of our server room for electrical work must have changed something, so we obviously just need to change it back to fix the problem.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We've done this before, we jacked up the whole rack though, not so much tilt it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eh I'm sure they have enough expertise to ensure the entire thing doesn't tip over, proven by the fact that they're asking if it would be OK to tip it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

Eh I'm sure they have enough expertise to ensure the entire thing doesn't tip over, proven by the fact that they're asking if it would be OK to tip it

See my first assumption is they’re going to go at it like it’s a vending machine with a dangling packet of pretzels.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

mewse posted:

It's a bunch of electricians/millwrights along with some contractors at a manufacturing plant redoing the office area and the messed up floor along with it. The server room lives in this general neighborhood.

They are going to jack it up and rig something so it hopefully doesn't fall and crush someone to death. It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off so we aren't tipping live disk arrays. Can just hope they don't drop poo poo or tip it beyond the agreed upon 15ish degrees. Disk failure rates are super awesome once you start operating at a steep angle.

These same folks moved the ATT demarc box a few weeks ago in spite of all of the warning stickers that said do not open do not touch and hosed all the fiber up until it got re-terminated, so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 8, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off...

...so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

:thunk:

An unplanned failure is soooo much better than planned downtime apparently

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

:thunk:

An unplanned failure is soooo much better than planned downtime apparently

I already checked my offsite backups and did a fresh test restore.

And I gave my caution note via email specifically so if they blow it up I don't have to play finger pointing game with them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is, because you can assign blame to someone else for an unplanned failure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's going to go horribly wrong.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ong3xz3obko

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 8, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

My favorite part about this pic is how the cabinet in the foreground has taken a bite out of the desk as it fell. Glad no one was nearby...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

My favorite part about this pic is how the cabinet in the foreground has taken a bite out of the desk as it fell. Glad no one was nearby...

Loaded racks can and have killed people before by falling on them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a bunch of electricians/millwrights along with some contractors at a manufacturing plant redoing the office area and the messed up floor along with it. The server room lives in this general neighborhood.

They are going to jack it up and rig something so it hopefully doesn't fall and crush someone to death. It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off so we aren't tipping live disk arrays. Can just hope they don't drop poo poo or tip it beyond the agreed upon 15ish degrees. Disk failure rates are super awesome once you start operating at a steep angle.

These same folks moved the ATT demarc box a few weeks ago in spite of all of the warning stickers that said do not open do not touch and hosed all the fiber up until it got re-terminated, so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

I wouldn't have even told them 15 degrees. I would have told them "no, they can't be tipped at all, lest hard drives start failing."

Good excuse to replace everything with solid state memory, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I would tell them it can be tipped, but like the movie Speed it has to be maintained at that exact degree from the truck all the way to the server room or KABLAM!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dick Trauma posted:

I would tell them it can be tipped, but like the movie Speed it has to be maintained at that exact degree from the truck all the way to the server room or KABLAM!

Never dare idiots unless you're prepared to see them try it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"I dare you to make SharePoint easy to maintain."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I am prepared. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zil posted:

"I dare you to make SharePoint easy to maintain."

"We did it, but now it's on you to find a thousand people with latent psychic abilities and sacrifice them to the golden servers every day."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Put one of these in his office and point them straight at his head

I've often wondered how long it would take Secret Service to track down someone aiming microwave dishes directly at the oval office (including time to realize that it's not just an AC malfunction), and why nobody has attempted it before.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've often wondered how long it would take Secret Service to track down someone aiming microwave dishes directly at the oval office (including time to realize that it's not just an AC malfunction), and why nobody has attempted it before.

Well for starters, your building in DC suddenly drawing several dozen megawatts of power to ensure it starts heating the Oval Office through the window would probably draw suspicion when it overloaded the local substation and knocked out power for a bunch of people.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The only appropriate response is "No you're loving not, sunshine."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So you already have evidence that they don't know what they're doing. Do not allow them to do a thing that a. will probably gently caress up your equipment and b. will push the equipment failure down the road so they can't be provably at fault.

Electricians should be far, far away from data. I watched an electrician try to tip fiber once and it was like watching a bear try to knit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Problem: customer is reporting that his "email computer" is no longer receiving mails.

Turns out that his email computer is running Windows 98. After telling him a few times that having a Win98 exposed to internet was a bad idea, we found out that the reason he wasn't getting was simply because the computer had lost the internet connection somehow.
His DSL line was up and his new "internet computer" was online just fine, so I left it there and told him again to get his email account set up on the new computer.

Old farmers are set in their ways I guess.