Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

How? Did tvOS grow a webview?

Unless they completely reimplemented a UI that copies the web version, then it must have. Just as like on other platforms it appears to be the HTML5 interface with a wrapper app to translate remote buttons and other special functions.

Edit: Seems they also brought in the standard cast functionality from other platforms. (DIAL protocol) You can cast Youtube videos to the ATV from any device on your local network, not just a Apple device with AirPlay.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Still no 4K streaming though

Youtube 4k is streamed in the VP9 codec, which Apple doesn't support. Same reason you can't watch Youtube 4k in Safari.

Violator
May 15, 2003

its HIM posted:

Holy poo poo, this new YouTube app is garbage. I used to be able to browse/scroll through my subscriptions in a 2D grid of 15-20 on screen at once, and now I can 1D scroll with THREE loving massive icons at a time along with a bunch of empty space. Like the UI was designed for a 24" 1980's CRT that I'm sitting twenty feet away from.

loving hell, this is exactly the reason I cancelled Hulu. At least I'm not paying for YouTube, I guess?

Holy cow, you're not joking. This is terrible. The old grid of channels was perfect and I used to enjoy browser around my subscriptions. Now it's a pain in the rear end and I literally thought to myself how I'm going to watch a lot less YouTube because of this.

Use the design of the device's OS and standard UI! Don't force your mobile app bullshit onto platforms that it doesn't work well with.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m mostly pissed that it still doesn’t indicate watched videos on a playlist

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ManSedan posted:

I’m mostly pissed that it still doesn’t indicate watched videos on a playlist

Do watched videos not have the little red line at the bottom of the video? It does on all the other platforms....

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Had a weird as gently caress thing happen last night. Paused Plex on my ATV3 to take care of business. While I'm in the other room, the ATV starts playing a random music track. Check my Airplay capable devices, none of them are sending that track. An hour later, pause Plex to go to kitchen, the paused show resumes with some audio skipping, as if pause/play/pause/play were stuttered somehow. Check everything. Nothing is connected to the ATV except the 1 remote. Check router, no unexplained devices on my network. Reboot everything, it doesn't repeat.

Weird. Creepy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stevewm posted:

Do watched videos not have the little red line at the bottom of the video? It does on all the other platforms....

It does actually.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevewm posted:

Unless they completely reimplemented a UI that copies the web version, then it must have. Just as like on other platforms it appears to be the HTML5 interface with a wrapper app to translate remote buttons and other special functions.

Well, tvOS has TVML and TVJS, so you can do weblike stuff. But UIWebView is still a private interface, and I would be shocked if Apple gave YouTube permission to use it. Like, utterly stunned.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The same webview thing was said about the Amazon Prime app, which is also Quite poo poo from what I hear.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Amazon app is pretty bad but they at least didn't gently caress up scrubbing. On other platforms you can only ff/rew in powers of two which is balls.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only did a quick test scrub on YT last night, but what I saw didn’t bother me. Seemed to work as expected. Maybe it’ll be apparent the more I use it.

The terrible view for Subscriptions is agreed though. The old app looked dated, but I’m not convinced the universal one pleases anyone but Google.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The idea of a "unified user interface" is super appealing to executive marketing/branding types who like to talk about design a lot but don't actually understand it. Also a lot of the time it's billed as a user benefit when in reality they just don't want to do the development work to support native controls.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Might be better suited to the Plex thread, but does the ATV4/K client do that thing where it ignores your own metadata for album art and titles? I tried messing around with Plex a while ago (back when you had to kind of jury-rig an ATV3), and after sperging wildly over my music collection that kind of stuff would drive me nuts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This isn’t a webview. The videos still move slightly off-center if you run the remote.

I would like to get rid of the related videos thing under the scrubber and move it downwards, but otherwise things are mostly fine. It would be nice if button that says “MENU” actually made the sliding menu appear from the left, since all menu/detail buttons on other systems do that behavior. Instead, I lost my place in subscription browsing because the button that says “MENU” apparently ought to have a back button on it, given that it can’t actually ever be programmed to make the menu appear.

Google does user interfaces better than Apple does, but they got thrown off by the constraints of the hardware on this one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Might be better suited to the Plex thread, but does the ATV4/K client do that thing where it ignores your own metadata for album art and titles? I tried messing around with Plex a while ago (back when you had to kind of jury-rig an ATV3), and after sperging wildly over my music collection that kind of stuff would drive me nuts.

It’s not the client in my experience. I’ve had the server mess up sometimes when I’ve done a forced scan of a library directory. It’s very annoying. It’s visible on all clients for me when it happens. It usually falls down on non-DRM videos I’ve purchased from RiffTrax, but it’s also happened on some BluRays I’ve ripped into an MKV.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Craptacular! posted:

Google does user interfaces better than Apple does, but they got thrown off by the constraints of the hardware on this one.

Absolutely not. This garbage is 100% on Google. They had a perfectly fine Android TV app a few months back that they replaced with this awful pseudo web view bullshit, too. Someone is earning a bonus for "redesigning" all these apps by making them terrible.

Like seriously, even scrolling around you can tell they're not using anything provided by the system--they're faking all of it on top of their web client designed for bottom-tier embedded devices.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I think I might prefer the old atv3 interface.

This is the same app my parent’s smart Samsung tv has and it’s just kind of janky.

So strange given how smooth most apps on the tvOS platform are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thwomp posted:

So strange given how smooth most apps on the tvOS platform are.

Have you ever seen a smooth Android?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I might be the only person happy that the YouTube app got updated with the “standard” TV interface.

Also, thank you to the poster a few pages back who was talking about UVSpider. I don’t know how these websites get their codes but I don’t really care, I’m just happy to have iTunes copies of films for slightly more than the rental would be.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loving hate the new youtube app

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can the 4K TV remote control the PS4 interface in any capacity? I’m still new to it all has anyone replaced their controllers with the Apple TV 4K one? Is it possible? Can you change inputs? I know you can do power on/off and change volume which is good enough

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not really intended as a universal remote and I don't think there's really any way to force it to do so beyond, as you said, power and volume. That said, if your TV has HDMI-CEC set up and working properly (hahahahah) you should be able to switch inputs just by firing up whatever you want to use next.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why is CEC so hard to get right? Is it a really bad spec or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No idea. It works as expected on my entertainment system like 90% of the time, but turning off my PS4 will generally turn on my Apple TV, and my XBone will consistently turn off the entire system, but will consistently not turn it on.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It's not really intended as a universal remote and I don't think there's really any way to force it to do so beyond, as you said, power and volume. That said, if your TV has HDMI-CEC set up and working properly (hahahahah) you should be able to switch inputs just by firing up whatever you want to use next.

If someone is interested in making the remote do more, there’s a product called SideClick that has 8 programmable buttons using IR.

Won’t fix your PS4 problem, if your other items use IR it’s pretty handy. I’ve got mine set up to switch inputs on my Marantz receiver, mute the stereo, change audio modes, and other random items for our TV to fix when CEC doesn’t work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just use the Harmony Hub with a companion remote.

I create all the different activities I want to do and Harmony takes of turning everything on and off, which device controls volume, etc... It can use BT or IR to connect.

The only issues are two:

1 - Sony fucks with some of their apps (like PS Vue) deliberately so Harmony won’t work. I just ended up getting the gen2 PS4 media remote.*

2 - No swipes or Siri. Which matters less to me than I though it would. Although the remote is in the side table drawer if I really need it.

* - sony are also extra lovely since they REQUIRE that only game controllers can get past the welcome screen on power/wake. I rarely use the PS4 for anything other than gaming these days.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is broader than just ATV (iPad Pro, too)
But lately, for a while, I’ve felt the Plex app has been really low volume/hard to hear. Do any of you folks know if there’s a way to increase the volume? Some kind of boost?

[Ed] ok the ATV app has settings for a small or large audio boost but nothing on the iOS app side...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 10, 2018

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I feel like I must be blessed or something, after getting my ATV 4K and setting up cec it’s worked perfectly with my denon and Visio.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My AppleTV’s HDMI-CEC also works perfectly with my Panasonic.

Then again, I don’t have any else plugged in. Just a tv and an AppleTV. I’m sure the more items you have involved in the setup, the greater the chance you’ll have issues.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For anyone looking to upgrade to the 4K ATV, or wants an additional one, Directv Now is running that special again where if you prepay for 3 mos of service, they give you a free ATV 4K. So that’s $35/mo for a total of $105.

I got this deal last time around and the service is....ok. It was kinda buggy but it had just launched so I don’t know if it’s any better now. But hey, that’s a pretty good deal either way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It’s a good deal and the service is decent enough really. Not liking the UI so far though. HBO is $5 extra a month, you don’t have to sign up for the higher tier services. So that’s cool

I already got an Apple TV but this will make a nice gift for the mom. For reference, I got shipping confirmation the day after I signed up/paid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I just use the Harmony Hub with a companion remote.

I create all the different activities I want to do and Harmony takes of turning everything on and off, which device controls volume, etc... It can use BT or IR to connect.

The only issues are two:

1 - Sony fucks with some of their apps (like PS Vue) deliberately so Harmony won’t work. I just ended up getting the gen2 PS4 media remote.*

2 - No swipes or Siri. Which matters less to me than I though it would. Although the remote is in the side table drawer if I really need it.

* - sony are also extra lovely since they REQUIRE that only game controllers can get past the welcome screen on power/wake. I rarely use the PS4 for anything other than gaming these days.

Isn't PS Vue on Apple TV? I can't imagine owning an Apple TV and using a console for anything beyond playing games. (Or playing Spotify, I guess, but I don't use that anymore.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't PS Vue on Apple TV? I can't imagine owning an Apple TV and using a console for anything beyond playing games. (Or playing Spotify, I guess, but I don't use that anymore.)

You’re correct, but PS4 is the only version with MultiView, which was invaluable to me during College Football.

The ATV version is superior in every way other than no MultiView and the program guide is the worst compared to on my Shield TV and PS4. But with ESPN offering a 4 channel multiview, I can live with the shittier UI. 90% of the time all the games I want to follow are on an ESPN channel or ABC (which is avail through ESPN app)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

free apple TV aside PS Vue seems like a decent deal but still hasn't gotten Viacom back?

They also allow up to five streamers as compared to direct tv now's two

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using DirecTV Now for awhile and it's been good enough for me, and unless things have changed, it's still the cheapest for the channels I want. I did get the middle package during college football, and yeah, multiview on ESPN is great, except that it doesn't include CBS which is what I generally want to be watching. I didn't know it was an option for PS Vue. Might have to re-evaluate next season.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

free apple TV aside PS Vue seems like a decent deal but still hasn't gotten Viacom back?

They also allow up to five streamers as compared to direct tv now's two

Vue still lacks Viacom and it’s doubtful they’ll get them back. I’m okay with it, but I can see it being a dealbreaker for others.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new YouTube is garbage all around, but the thing that drives me most crazy is that it doesn't have navigation noises.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Proteus Jones posted:

sony are also extra lovely since they REQUIRE that only game controllers can get past the welcome screen on power/wake. I rarely use the PS4 for anything other than gaming these days.

Regarding the ps4, you can now pay a $30 tax to the company that somehow got the exclusive license for "turning on the loving playstation" to be able to turn it on with your harmony:

https://smile.amazon.com/PlayStation-Receiver-Logitech-Harmony-Control-4/dp/B01K3VMBM0

Whether it's worth it to you or not is for you to decide. I got myself a new Apple TV for that room instead, bringing us back to this thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using DirecTV Now for awhile and it's been good enough for me, and unless things have changed, it's still the cheapest for the channels I want. I did get the middle package during college football, and yeah, multiview on ESPN is great, except that it doesn't include CBS which is what I generally want to be watching. I didn't know it was an option for PS Vue. Might have to re-evaluate next season.

I think I’ve tried a few of the services available for ATV and not filtering for price, PS Vue Elite package seems to land the channels I want the best. DTVNow GoBig is about the same in price point and channels. Of the two PS Vue has the most stable delivery and the DVR is good (but limited for live stuff). They both look fantastic.

Sling - package and add ons weirdly bundled. Also, once I get my choices lined up it’s about the same cost-wise. The UI works for some, I guess, but I just hated it. Sling also inexplicably freezes at times requiring me to leave a channel then come back far more often than with DTV. This may be down to the CDN I connect to, so YMMV.

Hulu LiveTV - for me it was kind of a wet fart. Weird channel bundle. Price can’t be beat if channels are good for you, especially considering price includes core Hulu service. UI is an absolute mess, enough that I couldn’t keep using it.

Philo and Fubo - these guys didn’t license channels I want, so I never tried. Both of them look to have really good packages/price if they have all you want. Not sure if either offer a native tvOS app.

YouTube TV - no tvOS app.

For OTA:

Channels - hands down the BEST interface for HD Home Run devices. Have not evaluated DVR service because of PLEX (if you don’t have PLEXPass it may be worth it)

PLEX - Need PLEXPass. OTA live TV is decent, but Channels is superior in every way. HOWEVER, the DVR service included with PLEXPass is so, so, so good. For any live one-off events you can easily select for recording and then add any kind of buffer to account for running long, and also skew start times for channels that like to play tricks with their schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Proteus Jones posted:

YouTube TV - no tvOS app.

There is one now.